As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[nfl] Broncos win! Retirement for Lynch, Johnson, and Manning.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited March 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is the NFL thread.

Talk about whatever you want, including stupid things like preseason, fantasy football, and the Jets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAp57G1hLn0

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    @MNC Dover, I think you put this in the wrong subforum. Not that I wouldn't mind consolidating all my threads of interest into one place. :)

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    "MNC Dover", I think you put this in the wrong subforum. Not that I wouldn't mind consolidating all my threads of interest into one place. :)

Good looking out! I totally pulled a Jets there.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Nah that was clearly a bucs maneuver.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    In news that shocks no one lovie smith has been canned in Tampa.

Why isn't it surprising? I find it crazy that he only got two seasons, one of which was with Mike Glennon at QB.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Lovie Smith is not a good coach?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I guess I'm not familiar with his Bears years but... they seem pretty reasonable?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Repost from previous thread for anyone that missed it:

And I've reactivated the Playoff Challenge from before.

http://playoffchallenge.fantasy.nfl.com/group/219070

password is the usual:
    wang

Remember when making picks, that you can in fact pick players that are on the bye, and that the longer a player is on your roster the higher the multiplier is to their score for you. So, say, I want a QB with the highest potential score, based on my predictions above, it's a safe bet I'm going to select Carson Palmer. But, I might pick Pey Pey for those sick screen pass TDs to Thomas and select Demaryius too. Get in there and make some picks!

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    In news that shocks no one lovie smith has been canned in Tampa.

Why isn't it surprising? I find it crazy that he only got two seasons, one of which was with Mike Glennon at QB.

I think it was quite surprising as well. He had a rookie QB and improved on his record. The Bucs were trending up it seemed, so unless they have a solid plan on who they want to coach them, it seems like this was a rash decision at the very least.

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    One could say that Lovie Smith's success in Chicago was in large part due to Ron Rivera and the defense.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    SUPERGENIUS Chip Kelly!

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Suspicions going around that the Bucs made the move so they could retain/promote their OC, who was getting interest from the Dolphins.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    Suspicions going around that the Bucs made the move so they could retain/promote their OC, who was getting interest from the Dolphins.

It's the only thing that doesn't make the Bucs seem totally incompetent.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Why wouldn't Chip Kelly be begging for the Titan's job? They have his dream QB and the 1st pick in this years draft.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Chip Kelly be begging for the Titan's job? They have his dream QB and the 1st pick in this years draft.

Because he doesn't want to be humiliated again?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    They also have room on the roster for five overpaid RBs.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The Titans should take their number 1 pick trade it for a shit ton of 3 and 4 picks and build a line that can keep the QB safe. Having top tier RBs and WRs is meaningless if the QB spends most of his time with his dick in the dirt.

zepherin on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Everyone always says this, it's hard to make that trade these days. Especially in a weak draft.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Worst record should get to pick what spot they want to draft in, not get forced into the most expensive gamble of the day.

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Worst record should get to pick what spot they want to draft in, not get forced into the most expensive gamble of the day.

Why would anyone take a lower spot for no gain?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So I might be forced to change my pick since it seems like the Seahawks get Lynch back and the Vikings' best child abuser is missing practices...

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Salary cap.

Probably still not worth it though. Not unless the NFL starts snake-drafting.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Maybe it's just me, but why does it seem like every year it's a bad draft class. Like, there never seems to be a consensus #1 pick anymore and all teams talk about trading down.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular

Because the lower spot is a better value. Unless you're gunning for a specific player, the bottom half of the first round costs a third to half as much as the top half for arguably the same talent.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I think it's because every other team tries to haggle with the car dealer and talk about how that new model is a piece of crap, buuuuttt if it gets to the price I want, I might take it off your hands. 31 teams pushing the weak draft year angle, the top holder going "well shiiiit."

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but why does it seem like every year it's a bad draft class. Like, there never seems to be a consensus #1 pick anymore and all teams talk about trading down.

Well, last year was Winston and Mariota. I don't think anybody was talking about the Bucs trading down. There was some talk about the Titans trading down, but that was driven not so much by Mariota so much as by Mettenberger and Rivers.

I don't think there was much talk about the Texans trading down in 2014 either. I think at the time, we thought they were okay with Schaub?

Usually, the worst team in the league is looking for a quarterback. And then you have those seasons when there's no QB, so it's not a good draft for THEM, but oftentimes, that doesn't mean the class isn't good. The 2014 draft has seemed to be an amazing draft, despite Clowney's relative bust-ness so far.

• Options

Because the minor league college football has abdicated its responsibility to funnel qualified bodies into the grinder.

• Options
    Hard Knocks candidates? Hard Knocks candidates.
    While it’s not entirely clear if any team that has been featured on HBO’s Hard Knocks was forced to do so, the NFL does have the ability to pick a team in the event that nobody volunteers.

If you don’t have a new head coach, if you haven’t been to the playoffs in the last two years and you haven’t been on the program in the last decade, you’re eligible. That means that this year, as many as eight teams are left vulnerable.

Here’s how we rank them in terms of how appealing they’d be if they were to participate, forcibly or not.

1. Buffalo Bills: Rex Ryan is Rex Ryan. He sells himself, and a talented, desperate team looking to break out of a 16-year playoff drought also works. The Bills run a great camp just outside of Rochester, and they’re real proud of that site. So don’t be surprised if they volunteer and we wind up with Ryan for the second time in six years.

2. New Orleans Saints: It’s still possible head coach Sean Payton departs, removing New Orleans from the mandatory list. But regardless, the Saints have a ton of loud personalities and a lot of friction in the front office. This would be fun.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jags have a really good young offensive core and a lot of intriguing players on the rise. They’re also incredibly welcoming to the media and aren’t shy about granting access, so this could potentially get us deep behind the scenes.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Rookie sensation Jameis Winston alone could carry this thing as he prepares for his second NFL season. (UPDATE: The Bucs will no longer be eligible after firing Lovie Smith.)

5. Oakland Raiders: We’d get another look at a strong young offensive core, and the Raiders are always entertaining. Of course, it’s also possible they’ll be in Los Angeles. If they move, they deserve to climb this list. But I doubt the NFL would make them participate if that were the case.

6. San Diego Chargers: A Los Angeles move is an even stronger possibility here. And if in an upset San Diego doesn’t move, that’ll be a big storyline anyway. Problem is there isn’t as much intrigue with the actual team.

7. St. Louis Rams: Jeff Fisher’s boring and unless they make a trade the Rams won’t even have a top-10 draft pick to feature. The only way this could become especially appealing is, again, if they move.

8. Chicago Bears: They aren’t particularly good and they lack animated personalities, but they appeal to a large market and fanbase. Could you imagine how excited Jay Cutler would be to star on Hard Knocks?

I think we now know the real reason Tampa fired their coach.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    I hope it's the Bills.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

we want to pick
    that way

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular

Doesn't everyone seem to agree that Bosa is the best player in general, with the next couple of guys also set (Ramsey, Hargreaves, Tunsil, Smith and a few others.)

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    Everyone always says this, it's hard to make that trade these days. Especially in a weak draft.

plus top tier OL talent goes in the first round just as much or more than skill positions anyways

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The fact that there's no consensus #1 pick speaks more to the weakness of the QB class than the overall class (although it probably isn't a super great draft for top end talent anyway). If there's a highly touted QB prospect like Luck or Winston or whatever, the conversation is about which team will sell the farm for the QB of the future. Teams are less likely to do that for a good tackle or defensive end or whatever.

Titans absolutely should go for Tunsil though. That kid is a freak and is exactly what they need for Mariota.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited January 2016

Because the lower spot is a better value. Unless you're gunning for a specific player, the bottom half of the first round costs a third to half as much as the top half for arguably the same talent.

You draft in the same spot every round though

So maybe you think the bottom half of the first round is equivalent to the top half this year. But you are also picking in the bottom half of the second, third, and so on. Doesn't seem like a great strategy.

Sir Landshark on
  • Options
    The fact that there's no consensus #1 pick speaks more to the weakness of the QB class than the overall class (although it probably isn't a super great draft for top end talent anyway). If there's a highly touted QB prospect like Luck or Winston or whatever, the conversation is about which team will sell the farm for the QB of the future. Teams are less likely to do that for a good tackle or defensive end or whatever.

Titans absolutely should go for Tunsil though. That kid is a freak and is exactly what they need for Mariota.

There's like two guys (Tunsil and Bosa) I'm confident will be excellent players and a third (Nkemdiche) whose off the field stuff would give me pause.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular

There's like two guys (Tunsil and Bosa) I'm confident will be excellent players and a third (Nkemdiche) whose off the field stuff would give me pause.

Ramsey will also be a stud but his position isn't as highly drafted as Tunsil's or Bosa's. Overall there aren't many can't-miss prospects but there's plenty of talent. Good draft for defensive backs and defensive tackles. Wouldn't want to be QB needy this year, though.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I dunno, the supposed top corner got toooooooooorched by Jehu Chesson in the Citrus Bowl.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Kirk cousins has been fostering dogs all year and has a photo album of him with them on his coffee table

aeU5txU.jpg

XX4koZT.png

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Kirk cousins has been fostering dogs all year and has a photo album of him with them on his coffee table

aeU5txU.jpg

XX4koZT.png

Or is he?

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    man kirk cousins is trying hard to get laid on tinder

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.