As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] 2015 somehow had 367 days of injuries

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dave wrote:
    Albert Einstein is often credited with saying, “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Now, there is no evidence Einstein actually said this, but if he lived long enough to watch TNA wrestling, he probably would have.

• Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRUclOVZsfg

This might be the most whitewashed thing Hollywood has done in a while.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    That gods of Egypt movie looks pretty white

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    like, the most white

• Options
    "Ok, Fray Tormenta saving an orphanage through professional wrestling is a compelling story...but could he be less...brooooooooooooooown?"

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Nacho Libre had more realistic casting then that.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Hell, that looks bad even without the whitewashing.

In brighter news, looks like I'm to be watching my first Smackdown in...like, over a year at least. But not until agdq is over, so sunday I guess.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Just the idea that in 2016, they're gonna go with "no no, they wrestle for realsies"...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Worked for Russel Madness!

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    I mean I can kinda buy that in Fay Tormenta's time some guys were going into business for themselves, but yeah...

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Matt Striker just said that Naito is "flipping off all the haters" and I just got very close to throwing my remote through the TV.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    "Where in the Bible does it say 'Thou shalt not wrestle'?"

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i havent read the last few pages but

the miz fuckin rules

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »
    Matt Striker just said that Naito is "flipping off all the haters" and I just got very close to throwing my remote through the TV.

WHY

WHY would you watch the english feed.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Japanese commentators flipping out happily a bunch is just one of many reasons to not even bother with English commentary if available for the company

• Options
    Nirya wrote: »

WHY

WHY would you watch the english feed.

Honestly I get way more confused when listening to the Japanese feed. The language barrier takes me out of the match for some strange reason. And I don't want to do sound off because I like listening to the crowd.

The English feed makes me angry but most of the time I can just ignore it.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    NXT Kids spoilers
    * The first match is for a NXT Kids show. Izzy comes out and gets a huge pop, along with other kids. Natalya vs. Becky Lynch is up. Becky wins a quick, easy match with a roll-up. They embrace after the match

* Big Show vs. Heath Slater is next for NXT Kids. Big Show wins a quick match with a leg drop. After the match, Izzy interviews Big Show, asking him what he eats, joking around and other "cute stuff"

Sounds fine, but did the first match really need to end with a roll up?

Kids, let me tell you about vaping

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    The Big Vape for GM

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    NXT spoilers and boy does this sound like a marathon for the FS crowd
    January 13th Episode:

* NXT General Manager William Regal announces a battle royal to determine Bayley's next challenger for the NXT Women's Title. He brings out Sami Zayn next. Sami says he wants to be the first two-time NXT Champion but he's interrupted by Samoa Joe. They have words and Baron Corbin interrupts. This leads to Sami fighting Joe off and Corbin backing away

* Tommaso Ciampa defeated Danny Burch with an arm submission

* The Ascension vs. NXT Tag Team Champions Dash and Dawson in a non-title match is next. The Mechanics get the win with their finisher

* Elias Samson defeated Corey Hollis with a Cross-Rhodes type move, a quick and solid finisher

* Carmella won a battle royal to become the new #1 contender. Participants included Eva Marie, Deonna Purrazzo, Aliyah, Cameron, Peyton Royce, Alexa Bliss, Billie Kay, Liv Morgan, Emma and Asuka. Eva hid outside of the ring and there was a false finish where she won. Everyone was furious but Carmella, who was never eliminated, dumped her and got the win. Bayley came out to congratulate her after the match

January 20th Episode:

* Sami Zayn defeated Adam Rose by submission

* Apollo Crews defeated Tye Dillinger. After the match, Crews issued a challenge to NXT Champion Finn Balor and said it doesn't have to be for the title

* Baron Corbin defeated the debuting Rich Swann, who got a great reaction. Great match here too

* Carmella and Bayley vs. Emma and Alexa Bliss is up next. Dana Brooke is at ringside. Carmella makes Bliss tap out for the win. After the match, Bayley raises her arm and they embrace

* Samoa Joe defeated Johnny Gargano by submission

January 27th Episode:

* Chad Gable and Jason Jordan are now known as American Alpha. They defeated Blake and Murphy with the assisted German suplex. Murphy faked a leg injury at one point to get Gable to back off. This let them get the upperhand

* Nia Jax squashed Liv Morgan. Eva Marie was at ringside with Nia

* Alex Riley returned and defeated Bull Dempsey. Riley was working quick and aggressive

* Elias Samson quickly defeated John Skyler

* Sami Zayn vs. Samoa Joe vs. Baron Corbin in a #1 contenders Triple Threat ends when Corbin taps while Sami has him in a Sharpshooter and Joe has him in a crossface. Regal comes out but gives no answer on the winner

February 3rd Episode:

* The Vaudevillains defeated The Hype Bros. with their finisher

* Carmella defeated Emma with a roll up

* Enzo Amore and Colin Cassady defeated two enhancement talents in a squash

* Asuka defeated Santana Garrett with the Asuka Lock

* NXT Champion Finn Balor vs. Apollo Crews in a non-title match is the main event. Great match, Balor gets the win with a Bloody Sunday DDT

The highlight of these spoilers for me is that it means Santana Garrett is no longer under contract with TNA

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    The culmination of BullFit needs to be Bull Dempsey lifting the stairs.

Maybe I'm way off here, but I think the culmination of BullFit needs to be Bull Dempsey actually losing weight.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    I think the problem Matt Striker has as a color guy is that, at a base level, he doesn't understand how wrestling works. Like, part of that might be because the only time in his career that he managed to connect to his audience was when he was getting the shit kicked out of him by Sandman, but I digress.

Striker has no understanding of how story works in a wrestling match. He's great at calling moves, but has 0 understanding of why those moves are being used and how they relate to the story being told. Like prior to this AJ/Nakamura match, he said "This match needs no backstory." Well, no dipshit, it obviously needs a backstory. In fact, the company you're commenting for thought so, which is why they provided one and then MADE A PREMATCH HYPE VIDEO ABOUT IT THAT YOU DECIDED TO IGNORE. Like, if Striker dropped his shitty wrestling encyclopedia gimmick for 5 seconds, he'd probably be ok, but nope.

And then combine him with Kevin "My idea of emotion is to get a little bit louder at the end of the match" Kelly and poor Yoshi Tatsu, who doesn't speak English well and is basically a non-entity with Striker and Kelly hogging up all the airtime, and you have a recipe for disaster. I can understand why Ranello would leave for WWE, because he did a good job on the AXS shows only for New Japan to turn around and hand the biggest show of the year off to Team Drizzling Shits.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    So it's Mania season and @The Betgirl and I, the longest reigning champs have a statement.

The World's Actual Cutest Tag Team is not now or ever splitting. We need each other, we're strong together.

72a0sgp3v7ft.png
    xjvbqcjk5bhd.png
    5tagh1spatci.png

I think a statement has been made.
    I just wanted to change my avatar and it kind of spiraled out of control.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I was like "Yeah go ahead and change your av" and then she linked me multiple super kick gifs.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    :3c

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Is that, like, moe Sagat or what?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    I'd like to think my most lasting contribution to this thread was shitty photoshops.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

It's Undyne from Undertale. She's a buff fish lady.

Mb4EEsE.png

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

Yeah, kinda.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    they need an off-season so badly

it isn't the 80s where you do 10 minutes of brawling and win with one high spot and a finisher

it's 10 minutes of high spots with a career-threatening spot before a finisher

Also everyone is no longer doing huge amounts of steroids to aid recovery.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Mauro Ranallo is pretty good at his job.

He said "She's ready to do some Lass Kicking" and it felt natural so A+

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Where is all this stuff about Cesaro and Cena being injured from Olympic lifting coming from? I'm a big fan of the Olympic lifts and I think their use helps a lot in terms of being able to safely throw around another human being. And yeah, Olympic lifters are known for having shoulder issues, but they also focus their training purely on getting stronger at those specific lifts. Both Cena and Cesaro's overall routines are pretty varied, and really only feature those lifts about as much as Seth's does. At least from what I've seen.

I just... it's a weird thing to point out. Like, I don't think Randy Orton or Sami Zayn ever had them in their workouts, but they still have terrible shoulders. I think it's just the general wear and tear of being a wrestler, combined with the hard workouts they do. Every time you take a bumb, you spread the weight across your back and arms, or chest and arms, so the shoulders always take some of it. Not to mention every time you pick up an opponent, your shoulders are doing a big part of the work.

The thing that irks me is how casually people bump on the outside of the ring from clotheslines and stuff, like during episodes of Raw and Smackdown. The ground doesn't exactly flex and absorb the impact like a ring does. It's why I'm fine with catching dives, since you basically collapse with the weight and sort of roll back. Your bump doesn't have to look good; the focus is on the fancy dive. But if someone throws you into the barricade or ringsteps, or gives you a clothesline, you kind of have to make it look spectacular. And that ain't fun.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Going through those NXT spoilers again, it really seems like
    not only is the booking hinting at Corbin about to be brought up but maybe Crews as well? True enough both guys being shunted out of the title hunt might not mean they're showing up on Raw anytime soon but I guess we'll see.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options

Well that justifies the only movie I'm seeing this month is Ip Man 3.

• Options
    Going through those NXT spoilers again, it really seems like
    not only is the booking hinting at Corbin about to be brought up but maybe Crews as well? True enough both guys being shunted out of the title hunt might not mean they're showing up on Raw anytime soon but I guess we'll see.
    Man, on the last episode of Breaking Ground Baron Corbin said his ceiling is the main event of WrestleMania.

Noooohohohohoho it's not Baron.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Good grief imagine WWE going through this injury bug without NXT.

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular

Apparently it's based on a novel written by some indy guy in Florida who used to wrestle as The Saint.

Still looks really dumb.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    One more NXT tidbit
    The January 22nd tapings are hyping Sami vs Joe for the right to face Finn for the title. I'm guessing Zayn wins but that doesn't mean he won't show up in the Rumble.

So Finn vs Zayn might be headlining Takeover Dallas.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    The Big Vape for GM

It would be like Galactus from the FF movies running the shows but without the need for CG....this is brilliant.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    they need an off-season so badly

it isn't the 80s where you do 10 minutes of brawling and win with one high spot and a finisher

it's 10 minutes of high spots with a career-threatening spot before a finisher

Also everyone is no longer doing huge amounts of steroids to aid recovery.

And massive amounts of painkillers to keep going while injured.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
This discussion has been closed.