As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Snape kills [Chat]eldore

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    oh boy

#1 asked wife what happened to the dinosaurs and what extinct meant. He said his preschool teachers wouldn't tell him (they are learning about dinosaurs right now I guess).

So wife finds a YouTube video about what happened. She says the video was fine but #1 totally freaked out.

He started crying and going on about how all the dinosaurs ended up like Leroy (our dog that died last year). Started asking if people will go extinct and if Mommy and Daddy will go extinct. He was so hysterical he refused to go to preschool or leave wife's side because what if she goes extinct while he's gone.

So now he's sitting at home on the couch, catatonically watching a Mickey Mouse movie (something he hardly ever wants to do unless he's sick) and doesn't want to talk about dinosaurs ever again.

And thus begins the crumbling of his youthful innocence.

i remember when i found out that i would eventually see everyone i knew or loved die

yup. i still remember the first time i asked my mom if i would die some day.

the pained look on her face as she told me "oh honey. not for a very very long time."

so that's a yes you bitch

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    oh boy

#1 asked wife what happened to the dinosaurs and what extinct meant. He said his preschool teachers wouldn't tell him (they are learning about dinosaurs right now I guess).

So wife finds a YouTube video about what happened. She says the video was fine but #1 totally freaked out.

He started crying and going on about how all the dinosaurs ended up like Leroy (our dog that died last year). Started asking if people will go extinct and if Mommy and Daddy will go extinct. He was so hysterical he refused to go to preschool or leave wife's side because what if she goes extinct while he's gone.

So now he's sitting at home on the couch, catatonically watching a Mickey Mouse movie (something he hardly ever wants to do unless he's sick) and doesn't want to talk about dinosaurs ever again.

So is his first exposure to the concept of death in the form of mass extinction events?

That seems like it could have been structured a bit differently?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    shouldn't it be [chat]ledore

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    oh boy

So is his first exposure to the concept of death in the form of mass extinction events?

no his first exposure to the concept of death was our dog dying last year

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    oh boy

How old is he?

I guess regardless of age, learning about death for the first time is going to be pretty rough

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    oh boy

You could tell him that if something makes you or mom go extinct, he'll go extinct too and everyone in it together and has nothing to worry about!

bowen

bowen no

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    How old is #1 Shark?

EDIT: Well, #1 Little Shark

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    oh boy

How old is he?

I guess regardless of age, learning about death for the first time is going to be pretty rough

• Options
    oh boy

oh right you mentioned that

bummer

I wonder why this is so stressful then

being a kid is hard

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    oh boy

How old is he?

Dang

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    oh boy

You could tell him that if something makes you or mom go extinct, he'll go extinct too and everyone in it together and has nothing to worry about!

bowen

bowen no

I FAIL TO SEE HOW THIS CAN BACKFIRE

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    oh boy

He is what just turning 4 or 5 right?

Humans really don't grasp mortality till about 5 years of age.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Now is a good time to watch Jurassic Park so he can be glad all the dinosaurs are dead.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    oh boy

i remember when i found out that i would eventually see everyone i knew or loved die

the pained look on her face as she told me "oh honey. not for a very very long time."

i also recall experiencing profound existential horror at the idea the sun would burn out in a few billion years

the first time i realized nothing really matters

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    oh boy

:bro: for minishark

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Death never gets easier IMO. When our dog died right before thanksgiving it sent me into a bad place philosophically

and that wasn't my first taste of death. I've had a lot of deaths in my family. It's just hard to accept that a thing that existed just

doesn't

anymore

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    oh boy

I remember when I figured that out and didn't think too much about it.

I remember when the gravitas of it hit me 20 years later and I had a time known to many as the Dark Night of the Soul, where I was stuck in an existential crisis.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    oh boy

How old is he?

There is an age where children are pretty much immune to the emotional impact of death and grieving. They can understand the concept of death, but not really realize the full impact of it. I'm guessing little Shark is not of that age bracket.

Maybe you can introduce your son to the idea of genetic resurrection? Like the current research being done with woolly mammoths, a couple species of turtles, some extinct birds, etc.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    [Chat]eldore, the most humble and powerful of Wizards.

and also kind of a dick when you really think about it

My favorite part is when he became a wizard supremacist and planned to enslave all Muggles, a century before he got pissed off Voldemort tried the same thing.

And the only reason he decided not to carry out his plans is because he accidentally ended up killing his own family members.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    oh boy

I was right around that age when I asked my mother about death. It was one of those really jarring memories I'm amazed I still have to this day.

It was kind of similar as we were watching a show about a famous race horse and a scene came showing the memorial statue that had been erected for it and I asked what it was. My mom explained it to me in the best terms she could but coming to the realization that it was gone forever was scary for me. Wound up balling and curling up next to her the rest of the evening.

TBH though I've never taken death overly well whether it's pets or people.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    My three year old niece was fucking grilling me hard a couple weeks ago about where my recently deceased dog was. It turns out that she did have some sort of basic understanding, and I think she had a strong guess about it being the case here, but I didn't know if her parents had broached the concept at all. I felt so completely outclassed trying to dodge the question or defer with vagueness while running towards her mother to let her handle that.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    oh boy

bummer

being a kid is hard

bollocks being a kid is awesome

I'm a grown and I still must suffer the occasional realization that i will die, AND i have to PAY BILLS

Landshark adopt me I promise to engage in many adorable hijinks for you to recount on the forums for the purposes of reaction farming

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    oh boy

i also recall experiencing profound existential horror at the idea the sun would burn out in a few billion years

the first time i realized nothing really matters

Were you eating Arby's at the time?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    oh boy

bummer

being a kid is hard

he took Leroy's death fairly hard too. no wailing or anything but every night before bed or at dinner for a month or two afterwards his lip would tremble and he would tell us "im sad about Leroy"

eventually we got him a little stuffed animal that looks like a black lab that he snuggled with at night and we told him that Leroy would always be remembered in our hearts and dreams

i thought he had moved on a few months ago when i saw the stuffed animal under his bed. i took it out, assuming maybe he had lost it or forgotten about it. he said no he was keeping it there because that's where Leroy always used to sleep and keep him safe at night.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    My three year old niece was fucking grilling me hard a couple weeks ago about where my recently deceased dog was. It turns out that she did have some sort of basic understanding, and I think she had a strong guess about it being the case here, but I didn't know if her parents had broached the concept at all. I felt so completely outclassed trying to dodge the question or defer with vagueness while running towards her mother to let her handle that.

my mom's cat died a few months ago and my 2yo niece was running around the house calling for him and asking where jack was and i nearly died

Chanus on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    I say lie to the boy until you are satisfied with the results.

• Options
    She was asking where he was, I was like "Well he got sick"

Yeah but where is he

Well he's not here anymore

Okay but where is he

Well, he was really old and really sick

But where is he, why aren't you taking care of him

*cries, runs away*

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Mentioning extinction, and evolution.

latest?cb=20140129194613

• Options
    eventually we got him a little stuffed animal that looks like a black lab that he snuggled with at night and we told him that Leroy would always be remembered in our hearts and dreams

i thought he had moved on a few months ago when i saw the stuffed animal under his bed. i took it out, assuming maybe he had lost it or forgotten about it. he said no he was keeping it there because that's where Leroy always used to sleep and keep him safe at night.
    Oh Jesus. I'm not crying. I'm... cutting onions.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    DemonStacey on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    oh boy

bummer

being a kid is hard

he took Leroy's death fairly hard too. no wailing or anything but every night before bed or at dinner for a month or two afterwards his lip would tremble and he would tell us "im sad about Leroy"

fuck dude

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    oh boy

Sharkbab no ;_;

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    Death never gets easier IMO. When our dog died right before thanksgiving it sent me into a bad place philosophically

and that wasn't my first taste of death. I've had a lot of deaths in my family. It's just hard to accept that a thing that existed just

doesn't

anymore

This is largely a matter of perspective. Some of the most important meditation one can do is that on the matter of death.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Like if I remember from my old developmental stuff as a teacher the understanding of mortality is one of those pivotal moments in human development.

Kind of like the start of puberty.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    i'm not going to lie

i would relish the chance to explain death and mortality to a child, and i look forward to the opportunity if i get it

and not out of some sadistic, twisted delight in introducing them to our shared existential anguish

at least, mostly not

because it is one of the most important ideas they will hold and i think it is a very moving and powerful thing to share with someone

...also because then i would get to go home and not deal with the obvious emotional fallout of a child who cannot really contextualize or handle that information yet

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    I remember I had a period as I guess a tween when I first learned about radioactivity and radiation poisoning where I was just kind of worried/scared about that

tbf, lots of nuclear weapons still exist in various terrifying situations (either low security or controlled by beliggerent assholes)

also, a bunch of rundown power plants with questionable repair standards in former east bloc, close enough they could have been a problem in Western Europe (though maybe/hopefully some of those have been fixed or closed? Don't really want to check up on that)

It's kind of a reasonable thing to fear, as big catastrophes go. But I think a big part of my terror of it also came from how it could be invisible and slow, and last forever. Man I would be bad at living in Fallout-world

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    i'm not going to lie

i would relish the chance to explain death and mortality to a child, and i look forward to the opportunity if i get it

and not out of some sadistic, twisted delight in introducing them to our shared existential anguish

at least, mostly not

because it is one of the most important ideas they will hold and i think it is a very moving and powerful thing to share with someone

...also because then i would get to go home and not deal with the obvious emotional fallout of a child who cannot really contextualize or handle that information yet

I can't possibly imagine what it's going to be like when my sister has to explain it to my nephew.

• Options
    i do remember the specific car ride to lucky's with my mom when the concept of my mortality just kind of dawned on me and i basically had an emotional breakdown

i think i was like five or so

it's weird how vivid a memory that still is for me

This discussion has been closed.