As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2016 Fancy Dinner Thread is Fashionably Late - Location & Menu Added

spool32spool32 Contrary LibraryRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Hello y'all!

Better late than never, this is the official signup thread for the PAX South 2016 Fancy dinner. But what is it, you ask?

The Fancy Dinner Tradition
PAX East D&D has, for as long as I've been a forum member, brought folks together one night during PAX to class up the joint: a semi-formal prix fixe dinner with drinks where you can get your evening wear out or put on a coat and tie (full windsor you heathen) and talk about Important Things like Adults Do. A gathering where we can put faces to names and be people sharing food and conversation, rather than forum handles talking past each other. It's been a fantastic time every chance I've gotten to go, so when South opened up in 2015 we had the inaugural dinner at Guadalajara right next to the convention center.

It's like the PAX East dinner, but... a little more southern. In other words, you can wear your fancy boots, but spurs are déclassé and remember - take your hat off at the table, fella-identifiers.

The Venue

Guadalajara Grill
http://www.guadalajaragrill.us/home

Slide-show.jpg

Guadalajara hits all the marks for great quality Mexican - it's local, it's authentic, and it's made with fresh ingredients. It's practically across the street from the Convention Center, in a historic building. The food will be a combination of traditional tex-mex and Mexican interior... rest assured, there will be guacamole. Private dining will be available on the 2nd floor. Fajitas and enchiladas might seem a little too casual, but I think you will be be pleasantly surprised.

When does it happen?
This year's dinner will happen on Friday, Jan 29th at 8:00PM. Dinner served at 8:30.

How do I get there?
Guadalajara Grill is walking distance from the Convention Center. The address is:
301 South Alamo
San Antonio, TX 78205
Telephone: 210-222-1992
KjUNfKgl.png

The Menu

Appetizer
Freshly made Guacamole
and
Individual Nachos del Bosque

Dinner Entrees
Chicken Enchiladas Rancheros
Two enchiladas filled with grilled chicken fajitas and topped with Salsa Ranchera and melted Monterrey jack cheese
or
Chile Relleno
Fire roasted Poblano pepper stuffed with beef picadillo or cheese, battered and fried and covered with traditional tomato broth
or
Grilled Fish Tacos
Two tacos filled with grilled tilapia, shredded cabbage, avocado and chipotle cream
or
Combo Fajitas
Grilled strips of chicken and beef (vegetarian available), with onions and peppers on a sizzling platter

Dessert
Sopapillas with Vanilla Ice Cream
or
Caramel Flan

Coffee

The Price
$55/person incl. tax and tip

Price Does Not Include Alcohol

Who can attend?
Any active forum participant, regardless of how rarely you post, and your +1

I'm in! How do I sign up?
Post below if you want to attend, and if you're bringing a +1.

How do I pay?
Please PM me if you'd like to pay beforehand - google wallet is the best solution for me, but I also have Venmo and I'll take cash at the table if you're stuck for other options. I do not paypal.

I have other questions!!!
Ask them below, or PM me.

PAX South 2016 Fancy Dinner! I look forward to seeing you all there!

Here is the thread from last year!

Attending, and room preference:

spool32
belasco32 +1
squeakel
milski
ludious and chelleyeah
aioua
Delmain
TehSloth
21stCentury
Lord Palington and +1
onthelastcastle

spool32 on

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Yo

I ate an engineer
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Editing your post doesn't message me, @spool32

I ate an engineer
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I know! It lets me easily copy and paste the attendee list later though. :)

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    In like flynn.

I agree that a private room is nicer than a public room at a nicer restaurant.

<3 spool thanks for putting this together again

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    yoyoyoyo

also probably @TehSloth

yess the list expands. Who else is going to PAX South?! Spread the word ppl. :)

• TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Yup, I'm definitely good for fancy dinner!-- Place last year was pretty solid although if we do end up with more folks I'm happy to step up to another location.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    @spool32

i'm so in.

i'll have to give yo ucash the day of because Google Wallet does not like Canadians. :(

As for the table, i have no preferences. Guadalajara grill sounds great to me.

So looking forward to this. i've been looking forward to this for half a year, in fact. :razz:

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    My wife and I are in again. We're down for either dining option.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    I know more than just us are coming to South

@OnTheLastCastle get in here!
    @joshofalltrades @kaleedity @redx are you guys coming this year?
    @Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud are you anywhere near Texas anymore? @Mim Is nearby! @Gooey talk to your wife!

Who else amongst our D&D stalwarts will be at South?!

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    )))):
    oil industry crapped and we are pooped for money
    im really sorry we can't come

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm in a similar position to FCC and I'll be at PAX South but blew pretty much every cent of disposable income on just being able to go. There's no way a fancy dinner fits into the budget. Sorry. :(

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    "price fixe" dinner spool? Really?

Fake classy ass motherfucker

vRyue2p.png
    !!!

It's the tradition for South and East!

Don't make me drink you under the table in April, there are a lot of feet under there.

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I don't have pax tix.

Kruite wrote: »
    I don't have pax tix.

Friday and Sunday are still for sale.

Saturday I guess eat bbq and get krunk

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    !!!

It's the tradition for South and East!

Don't make me drink you under the table in April, there are a lot of feet under there.

I don't have a problem with the concept.

I have a problem with you misspelling "prix fixe" while pretending like you know what's up.

vRyue2p.png
    *dies*

*is ded*

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    spool line everyone up at franklins bbq in suits and dresses at 815pm and you can all have delicious bbq at 11am the next day

skippydumptruck on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I am interested thanks to an invite from Mr.Spool himself, will be interested in attending possibly with a friend. If I do go, this will be the first PAX event I have been to since PAX east 2012.

• kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    no souf, soz ) :

If I do the expo down there again, I'll certainly drop by.

• Belasco32Belasco32 Registered User regular
    Please add a +1 for me, and fix my name ffs!

Just so it's said -
    As already demonstrated by our predecessor, PAX East Fancy Dinner, attending PAX is not a requirement for attending Fancy Dinner. There's plenty of other stuff to do in San Antonio, and there will be a constant stream of forum folk to hang with at all hours.

Ping! PAX South Attendees, where are you?!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I will be there.

Who else?? Come on folks. :)

Hello all, menu is up for your perusal!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    No one order the fajitas I don't want to smell like fajitas all night. I will be making a list of those that order fajitas.

Might I recommend the not fajitas

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i have never eaten mexican food.

not even texan-mexican food.

This will be quite an adventure for me.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    No one order the fajitas I don't want to smell like fajitas all night. I will be making a list of those that order fajitas.

I don't understand this sentiment.

steam_sig.png
    Ludious wrote: »

I don't understand this sentiment.

I think he spilled fajitas all over himself last year?

I'm in the same boat as you.

Also note the addition of a Caramel Flan for dessert!

But why would you want any dessert other than sopapilla

I thought the flan was p tasty last time.

Aioua wrote: »
    I thought the sopapillas were p tasty last time.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    wait vowels was there last year

*frowns and looks into the distant past*

wait vowels was there last year

*frowns and looks into the distant past*

I'm not that memorable :P

Hey folks, we are at that time where if you want to send me money rather than pay in cash, you need to PM me so you can get my email address for the Google Wallet transaction. Remember I also have Venmo, but I do not accept Paypal.

Just to avoid awkwardness, if you're going to bring bills, please come on in and get a drink and then come find me asap. I don't want to leave the check until after we're served - I'm going to get it paid as soon as I have the full balance in hand.

Thanks! I'm super excited to see you all! :):)