As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

David Bowie died.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/a01QQZyl-_I

Two dudes who passed before there time. If they ever really had a time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    This one really hits hard.
    There will never be another like him.

• Options
    NinotchkaNinotchka Registered User regular
    He even turned dying into art. What a great legacy he's left to us, wish that there were even more.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Fuck. Bowie is a legend. This is an awful loss.

Earthling was my soundtrack this morning. When I get home from work I'm loading up Rock Band for some Space Oddity and Under Pressure.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Read a review for Blackstar this morning.
    How wonderful if all of this actually represents an entirely new phase in Bowie's extraordinary career. How fantastic to have an album as rich and strange as Blackstar that refuses to yield in a few listens. It suggests that, like a modern-day Lazarus of pop, Bowie is well and truly back from beyond.

:(

This is a new phase in his career, though.

The phase where parents show their kids a strange album from back in the day, and the kids say "ugh what is this, this is so weird and old"

And then the next day in the shower they find themselves humming

"Ground control to Major Tom..."

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It seems like once a month or so I'm reminded of done amazing song of his that I'd forgotten about.

So, thanks for that, and for making weird cool.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I've never really actively sought out Bowie's music. I've always liked what I've heard, but I've never made a point to go "hey, I need to own this David Bowie album".

That said, even to a layperson like me who still gets surprised when they learn a song they heard years back and liked but never followed up is a Bowie song, he was legend. A wild, strange amorphous avatar of Rock And Roll, taking whatever form the music demanded at the time.

He, like Lemmy, was rock and roll shorthand. If an alien from space were to ask you "what is rock and roll", you play a couple Bowie songs and a couple Motorhead songs and show them pictures of Lemmy and David Bowie and they'll nod and understand what rock is.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Someone else in the thread said it, not a huge fan, but a big fan of some of his work. Proper legend.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    This is pretty painful, Bowie was a just a majestic man and brilliant artist. He left this world only a little while after my own brother, who also suffered from cancer.

My brother had a degree in audio recording, but never really got to do what he wanted. But, he gets to record with Bowie now.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    David Bowie is one of those people that I thought would just live forever. Like he had somehow transcended mortality.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Through his music he has.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Someone else in the thread said it, not a huge fan, but a big fan of some of his work. Proper legend.

I'm with you. His influence on music throughout the decades is immeasurable and it's sad to see a titan like this pass away.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Changed my Tesla profile pic, everything Bowie is my playlist, and generally feeling sad :( Other than Pratchett, I can't remember being this bummed by a "famous" death, and at least with Pratchett we knew it was coming ...

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Now who's going to lead the Guild of Calamitous Intent?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Oh man, this one was a real fucking bummer to find out about...and I learned about it over fucking twitch chat of all things.

Well, here's to sound and vision. Here's to the bewlay brothers and diamond dogs. Here's to life on mars and suffragettes in the city. And here's to all the fat skinny people. We've got 5 years people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jg4ekLG9Zo

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I heard this news on the radio this morning in the way to the store. Took me a long time to do my mundane shopping thinking about this loss. When I got back to my car the radio was playing an interview from about 2002 where he was thinking about his influences from his teens and such and how he was part of revolutionizing artistic expression of his and future generations.

He truly made a mark in so many lives.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    His music helped me through some terrible times. I recall listening to 5 Years and remembering people could be amazing and strong in the worst of circumstances. Same with Rock and Roll Suicide. There was a lot in his music about the pain of living but also the good and joy that could be found.

And so many good times too. My dads name is Tom, we used to listen to "Ground Control" and laugh about it, he loved that song. Watching him as Jareth the Goblin Kinh with my sister. Getting high and listening to Diamond Dogs on repeat (that album was trippy!) My first cellphone I set the ringtone to "Ziggy Stardust" Gah so much good stuff.

I'll miss him a lot. He left a lot behind, I guess I just always hoped he'd keep going :(

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Bogart wrote: »
    Bowie is in Idoru, which I totally missed when I read it. @Jacobkosh

Oh, that's fantastic. I remember when I read this wondering who it was but kind of figured it was someone Gibson knew, one of his buddies or something, maybe Brian Eno. In my defense I have no idea what Brian Eno looks like.

• Options
    fugacityfugacity Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »

I've seen this copied around a lot. The most common original attribution I've seen is that it was written by Simon Pegg.

• Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    Here's the final photo taken of Bowie, by his wife Iman on the 8th.
    OYRVqmg.jpg

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Double post, sorry. (And they even showed up in the wrong order, hence this one getting the edit... gah!)

Jazz on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Lemmy and Bowie in the space of two weeks. This is too much.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I love David Bowie. I've had periods of my life when I listened to various albums on a loop. Low was hugely influential in me getting into synthesizers. Really saddened by the news, but I'd heard through the grapevine for a while now that he was sick.

Here's one of my favorite Bowie anecdotes that a buddy who has engineered for Bowie told me for a little cheer up

In the 70s when Bowie moved to NYC, he was having a little trouble adjusting to life in America. More people were coming up to him than in Britain saying "Hey, are you David Bowie?" So he turned to his fellow SoHo expat, John Lennon, asking for advice. Lennon told him to fool them with a joke: whenever anyone asked John Lennon if he was the famous Beatle, Lennon would just say "No, but I wish I had his money!" So Bowie starts doing this and it works most of t time, much to the relief of the thin white duke. Then one day a few years later, when he's just walking around the streets downtown, he hears someone yell across the street: "Hey, are you David Bowie?" He respond the usual way, politely, "No, but I wish I had his money." Then he hears the same person yell back "No, you bastard, you wish you had MY money!" Of course, it was John Lennon.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote:
    Lemmy and Bowie in the space of two weeks. This is too much.

Yeah, I'm still pretty bummed out about Lemmy too. Bowie was such a surprise. Man, even at 69 that man looked astoundingly good for his age so much so that his real age just never registered in my mind.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    Amidst all of the more appropriate tributes, let us not forget:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv6mEv_rDdE

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    I'm not someone who generally takes celebrity deaths hard - it's a bummer when someone I like dies, but it's not like I knew these people on a personal level. But this one is hitting me hard.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie. It's a bit of a rough day at work.

I feel like I'm being affected by this in a permanent way.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Goodbye, and RIP, Nomad Dreamer... :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKXEQpFZ50
    (Song starts at 2 mins).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzbKjSgvcdw

• Options
    DinoFightDinoFight Registered User regular
    Yes he did. But also did so many other people, and birds and bees and such too. I'd rather celebrate what he did while he was alive than cry because today he's away, wouldn't you?

www.kendallshammer.com/posts-2
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I went a really long chunk of my life without giving David Bowie a serious listen. I heard things. I knew things. We owned albums. But I never really took them in. It wasn't until the day of my fathers funeral that I sat down and listened to a David Bowie album in its entirety. It was Station to Station. I listened to it on loop for days in my room after that loss. I dove into his other work. I did not come up for air. I just went deeper into this sublime connection that pulled me away from the unthinkable and into a world of grandeur and magic. Bowie holds a really special place in my heart. I had no idea that he was sick and the news of his death is tragic in a way that i'm not really smart enough to put into succinct words.

There's a bit of magic in that too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Thread is somber, I shall alleviate.

@tapeslinger is failed to post this, I'm going to assume that she is too overcome with emotion with the passing of our finely dressed English gentleman to have posted this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDkp7GysvbY

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Goddammit. Could this not be my PAForum anniversary badge day?

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Best concert I ever saw was Bowie at Shea's performing arts center in Buffalo in 2004. It was back in the DINC days with my wife. Third row center.

He fucking crushed it at 57.

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Ziggy played guitar...

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    I downloaded all the Bowie DLC for Rock Band today (minus the two covers).

Ziggy Stardust and Modern Love are really fun on drums.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I watched Labyrinth today for the first time.

That is a weird fuckin' movie.

I want to say that Bowie's the best part of the film, but a lot of the puppetry is really good, too!

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    My dad died in October of 2014, and January 11th would've been his 52nd birthday. I'm an atheist, but I've opted to take some solace in the idea that my dad got to meet David Bowie for his birthday this year. It's stupid, I know, but it's putting a smile on my face in the midst of listening to Hunky Dory and crying like a baby.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Why are all the people who can actually use a musical instrument dying?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767