As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Printer problems

SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I don't seem to be able to print anything larger than 64Kb.

That is to say, I can print out a short test page from Notepad just fine, but if I try to print anything more substantial it just spools to 64Kb and then freezes. Doesn't even partially print the file. It can't even print the Test Page (136 KB). It also won't let me cancel a spooled document over 64Kb. I can click it in the print monitor and cancel it but then it just indefinitely hangs trying to cancel it. I can't wipe it using the Bin button on the printer, the only way I can clear it from the queue is to hard reset the printer.

It's an Epson AcuLaser C1100, which should have at least 32Mb of in built RAM and I've got 2Gb in the computer without any major applications running, so I can't see it being a memory problem (unless the built in RAM is fubar maybe). I've checked the connections and everything is firmly pluged in. I installed updated drivers and that didn't help. I haven't made any major changes to my system that might have been the route cause. I installed a new CD burning application and Stalker recently and that's about it.

This printer has worked faultlessly for about a year and now it just suddenly will not work. Any clues, dudes?

EDIT- Ok, I tried printing an Image from Photoshop - About 8.46Mb tiff. It spooled 191 Kb of it, threw up a printing error, then I had to go look up some DVD region hacks for the wife's parents and about ten minutes later the printer suddenly fires up and prints off about a centimetre worth of the image (presumably the 191Kb it spooled) but the document is still sitting there in the print queue status Error - Printing.

This is barmy. Everything points towards insufficient system memory, but 2GB! WTF?

EDIT THE SECOND- I just pulled the USB cable out and stuck it in another USB port and now it's printing fine. SO either it wasn't pluged in properly or onw of my USB ports is knackered. Can that happen? Just one USB port on a motherboard to die and the neighbouring ports to continue working fine?

Szechuanosaurus on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The USB port that was causing the problem may have not been USB 2.0 (which is probably the cause of the problem).

I've seen stupid stuff like that be the cause for some really weird behavior at work when working with USB 2.0 devices in a USB 1.0 port.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me