As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Really Long Way [Chat]

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    this isn't bowie chat

we could have been heroes

just for one [chat]

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Wait, am I to understand that another of the Spool family has joined us?

His genetic take over of the PA Forums continues?

quiverfull.exe

I know this reference

Cutting rull deep skippy

Want to lose at hearthstone in like an hour?

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I had no idea save scumming was a term, much less a pejorative. I also find it hilarious that the first definition on google says that it is definitely cheating and mostly cheating yourself

um

I disagree?

i am a proud save scummer and i make no apologizes for how i play games

Did you know it is impossible to save scum on the PS4 version of Final Fantasy X?

what

why

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    I had no idea save scumming was a term, much less a pejorative. I also find it hilarious that the first definition on google says that it is definitely cheating and mostly cheating yourself

um

I disagree?
    if you never know the depths of failure how will you appreciate the heights of success

but if your goal is personal growth there are probably better things than video games
    landshark as a parent what would you do if your kid wanted to become a professional gamer

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    We can be heroes is a good song but I have to say I like the original Wallflowers version better

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

um

I disagree?

Did you know it is impossible to save scum on the PS4 version of Final Fantasy X?

i did not, nor was it likely i ever would have found out, but duly noted

It's a bug, the RNG seed is only initialised when you select a new game, rather than whenever you load a save.

So you can load a save and always hit a battle in the same spot with exactly the same monsters.

• Options

um

I disagree?
    if you never know the depths of failure how will you appreciate the heights of success

but if your goal is personal growth there are probably better things than video games
    landshark as a parent what would you do if your kid wanted to become a professional gamer

Would you buy him a plane ticket to showcase his skills at AGDQ

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Thom in with an in-depth wall of text about history when this could have been a chat about animes being fat, unhealthy and lazy

THOM

I feed on your frustration.

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular

um

I disagree?

id first have to assess whether that was a reasonable outcome

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Confirmed.

My high school only has one person who handles background check requests and she's out sick today.

OMG pls

I just want to quit my job you're killing me.

is this related to a security clearance?

I'm surprised they'd go through this much effort on a typical background check

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

um

I disagree?

It's a bug, the RNG seed is only initialised when you select a new game, rather than whenever you load a save.

So you can load a save and always hit a battle in the same spot with exactly the same monsters.

this has been a problem in other games before, hasn't it?

i seem to recall hearing about this in other contexts

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

um

I disagree?

it seems unlikely but your child believes they will be successful

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    we're all butts

poo
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i don't find losing hours of progress at once due to an incorrect decision or a mistake very compelling gameplay

this was my one complaint about alpha protocol

i made some bad decisions because the game wasn't very clear about what was going on, and i couldnt go back to correct myself

anyways the crazy guy and i rode off into the sunset and we left the chick to die because idgaf

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Wasn't there some game on Steam where if your character died you literally have to buy the game again?

BronzeKoopa on
  • Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular

um

I disagree?

this has been a problem in other games before, hasn't it?

i seem to recall hearing about this in other contexts

random numbers are hard

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

um

I disagree?

I am curious, do you play all games on the easiest difficulty as well?

nah medium or hard depending on the genre

I am with you on this, Ludious. Play games on hard, but if the game has included a tactic that is stronger and also fun to play, absolutely use that tactic. Do not solo game with no items when it's meant to be played with a full party with items, etc.

...also to me DS2 was quite challenging and fun using magic; hardly a cakewalk or a given that you'd easily beat any given area/boss.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Wait, am I to understand that another of the Spool family has joined us?

His genetic take over of the PA Forums continues?

quiverfull.exe

I know this reference

Cutting rull deep skippy

Want to lose at hearthstone in like an hour?

no I deleted most of my games off my computer in an effort to spend some free time practicing for technical interviews during my last school term

we will see how long it lasts

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Confirmed.

My high school only has one person who handles background check requests and she's out sick today.

OMG pls

Nope, just like, a job job.

I mean I assume all they want is "Did vowels graduate from here? Yes KTHX"

but that request is currently sitting in the voicemail inbox of a person who isn't there -_-

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    do you attempt to crush their dreams because you believe it will lead to a better outcome or do you encourage them to pursue folly

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Today at work I had my art complimented.

Also I had my shirt complimented.

I feel pretty good about compliments right now.

• Options
    kaleeditykaleedity Sometimes science is more art than science Registered User regular
    Wasn't there some game on Steam where if your character died you literally have to buy the game again?

not exactly that, but undertale can permanently alter your potential endings outside of drilling into your steam data

(it is very difficult to do this by mistake)

• Options
    Today at work I had my art complimented.

Also I had my shirt complimented.

I feel pretty good about compliments right now.

You're very good at taking a compliment, 21st.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I think we are getting to the root of why the ending of ME3 bothered me so much.

Do you know how much I "save scummed" that entire series?

Do you know how hard I worked for the desired outcome?

Real hard. Real hard, man.

I wanted my star wars ending

• Options

um

I disagree?

well

if this is a high school fantasy they can work as hard as they want at it as long as they keep up in their studies I guess. I would advise strongly against something like not going to college in favor of playing video 80 hours/week since it's kinda a real pain to go back to college once you've gotten out of that mode but if they can support themselves and are stubborn about it there's not really much I can do

idk im still in the rearing toddlers stage I haven't thought very deeply on the nuances of raising a defiant teenager yet

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    my favourite bowie song is that nirvana cover

• Options

um

I disagree?

yeah sure if one of them got invited on something like that I would totally support it

• Options
    I think we are getting to the root of why the ending of ME3 bothered me so much.

you got the endings as the plot lines concluded you fool of a took

• Options
    Confirmed.

OMG pls

Nope, just like, a job job.

I mean I assume all they want is "Did vowels graduate from here? Yes KTHX"

but that request is currently sitting in the voicemail inbox of a person who isn't there -_-

do you have a college degree? if so it seems like overkill as surely they can rely on the college to have vetted your high school transcript?

if not I suppose it makes more sense but it still seems weirdly in depth to me

you tryna bamboozle us about your claimed 6 months of freshman study into the nuances of sentence diagramming, vowels?

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Whenever I'm considering posting on an on topic thread I go to the recent fun control one and am cured immediately.

Chat is a jewel of decent, polite discourse

The problem is it did not emerge from the ether. It pulled that goodness out of topical thread D&D.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thom in with an in-depth wall of text about history when this could have been a chat about animes being fat, unhealthy and lazy

THOM

I feed on your frustration.

i.imgur.com/EL9L7na.gifv

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Confirmed.

OMG pls

The security clearance I got after Freshman year of college didn't even call my high school that I know of.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

um

I disagree?

I am curious, do you play all games on the easiest difficulty as well?

nah medium or hard depending on the genre

Picking a higher difficulty means deliberately making the game harder for yourself. This seems suboptimal!

Re:savescumming, it often undermines the weight of decisions and removes tension from many games. You don't get to experience the thrill of going into a fight with minimal health or reduced resources, or experience the exciting emergent moments in e.g. a stealth game where you're spotted and then have to scramble to get away or accomplish your objective under greater duress. It also trivializes the accomplishment of a difficult task like a full stealth run, or decisions about resource use. I pick this lock, and oh, there's nothing cool in this chest? Reload and save my lockpick! That's savescumming.

Certain games are calibrated to be played with frequent saves, certainly, and replaying an entire dungeon with long load times is not exactly thrilling, so saving after every room or whatever might make much more sense there, for sure. Saving isn't necessarily scumming, but saving to ensure every result is optimized usually is, I think.

• Options
    do you attempt to crush their dreams because you believe it will lead to a better outcome or do you encourage them to pursue folly

no dream crushing. the world will do plenty of that for me.

• Options
    also aioua I know you can't defend the choices made by the background check company, I'm just musing that it seems weird to me

• Options

um

I disagree?

yeah sure if one of them got invited on something like that I would totally support it

What if they're raising money for a cause you find deeply embarrassing, such as buying V for Vendetta masks for disadvantaged bronies?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Whenever I'm considering posting on an on topic thread I go to the recent fun control one and am cured immediately.

Chat is a jewel of decent, polite discourse

The problem is it did not emerge from the ether. It pulled that goodness out of topical thread D&D.
    We are parasites. *nods* We can only subsist on the goodness and light from other threads, sapping them of their innocence and vigor. :D

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SqueakelSqueakel Registered User regular
    I still have a gift for @Squeakel

GvRFXri.jpg

Oh thanks, I needed one of those!

Thresh, Alistar, and Janna supporting is best!
  • Options

um

I disagree?

well

if this is a high school fantasy they can work as hard as they want at it as long as they keep up in their studies I guess. I would advise strongly against something like not going to college in favor of playing video 80 hours/week since it's kinda a real pain to go back to college once you've gotten out of that mode but if they can support themselves and are stubborn about it there's not really much I can do

idk im still in the rearing toddlers stage I haven't thought very deeply on the nuances of raising a defiant teenager yet
    they try to do both but when pursuing their education or career conflicts with pursuing their dream, they are never willing to take the plunge. over time, their dream erodes
    they secure themselves a comfortable life but always wonder what could have been if they had committed themselves fully to what they wanted

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular

you got the endings as the plot lines concluded you fool of a took

Ludious doesn't care how great Rannock and T'chanka were.

The one piece ruined the whole pie.

This discussion has been closed.