As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Scary when Comcast Technical Support knows more than Comcast Security Support.

lwt1973 on
    "He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    My home windows 10 machine just got the no-progress-bar "all your files are exactly where you left them" update, and I'm glad I knew what it was because Microsoft would have to try pretty hard to make a more terrifying update.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Powershell, I both love you and loathe you at the same time.

a script that can find if a specific phone number is attached to a user in Lync? super bloody useful.

creating said script, one line, but still kind of dumb.

the fact that it has to be run in in Lync powershell, and not vanilla powershell, even more stupid. I still hate how on an exchange server there is "powershell" and "exchange powershell" and the same for lync, etc. If i have Exchange installed just integrate the exchange powershell applets into the "normal" powershell for fuck sakes.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Those may or may not be commands you can load in with Import-Module.

But yeah MS's drive to get their other apps integrated into powershell is good. Many of the implementations, however, are not.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Symantec upgrading is a circle of hell.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »
    Symantec is a circle of hell.

FTFY

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

FTFY

http://www.symantec.com/connect/nl/user/chetan-savade

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    omfg

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yeah, Powershell is great except for when I forget to use the shortcut on my desktop that integrates the Azure AD functions on startup, because fuck loading those manually.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

FTFY

http://www.symantec.com/connect/nl/user/chetan-savade

If you link it, he will come

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Powershell, I both love you and loathe you at the same time.

a script that can find if a specific phone number is attached to a user in Lync? super bloody useful.

creating said script, one line, but still kind of dumb.

the fact that it has to be run in in Lync powershell, and not vanilla powershell, even more stupid. I still hate how on an exchange server there is "powershell" and "exchange powershell" and the same for lync, etc. If i have Exchange installed just integrate the exchange powershell applets into the "normal" powershell for fuck sakes.

this, 100%

Yesterday, I got a request to disable password complexity requirements for a client.

you can run get-user | ft -auto UserPrincipalName,StrongPasswordRequired for a list of users and whether the setting is enabled

per-user, of course, because this can't be changed for the domain and will need to be manually adjusted for all future users

but you need to run set-msoluser and not set-user in order to effect a change to the setting, even after already having connected to O365, and that function isn't available in whichever of the 3 versions of Powershell I opened first on the client's server

how hard would it be to issue an update for existing PS modules that imports the necessary functions when they're called instead of giving an error message and then leaving the admin to find out whether it's even possible to add the required feature

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    My home windows 10 machine just got the no-progress-bar "all your files are exactly where you left them" update, and I'm glad I knew what it was because Microsoft would have to try pretty hard to make a more terrifying update.

In two separate upgrade instances I've seen the user get loaded into a temporary profile, at which point the user says, "Uh. Where the fuck are my files?"

Microsoft. :tell_me_more:

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

In two separate upgrade instances I've seen the user get loaded into a temporary profile, at which point the user says, "Uh. Where the fuck are my files?"

Microsoft. :tell_me_more:

My wife got that update the other night. Just turned on her computer and got the thing.
    It was really really annoying. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a video or something that we weren't getting sound from or what.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Best line from Microsoft on an Office install:

It wouldn't install because it was completely uninstalled.

• Options
    Started a new job, I'm in training with the guy I'm replacing.

"OK, now we're gonna log into the SQL server"

*opens up RDC*

*Windows 2000 Advanced Server, built on NT technology*

nooooooooooo.jpg

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    You lucky dog!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I have two machines (well, one laptop, one VM) that got clean Win 7 installs as of yesterday. They each did 1 giant round of Windows Update yesterday, and now won't do shit. They both just sit at either "Checking for updates..." or if I manage to get the list of updates that are available they both just sit at "Downloading updates... 0% of 0Kb".

I've tried every goddamned *.diagcab file that Microsoft suggests to let it automatically fix the problem. No dice.

faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahk this is getting frustrating. :x

• Options
    Windows 7 checking for updates the first time through takes at least 4 hours.

Then once it makes an itemized list of your hardware and updates, it takes probably 5 minutes.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    It already did it for the first time though! They both went through a round of like 800MB worth of updates. It should already be at the point where it's got shit figured out. I let the laptop sit this morning from 7:50 AM to noon and it never left "Downloading updates... 0% of 0Kb".

punch punch punch

• Options
    Oh yeah, hm.

Burn it all down.

• Options
    Ok so you know how in windows, if you have a laptop and you sign in while connected to the domain, it will cache the credentials and then you can log in while not on the domain (at least for a while.)

Is there a way of forcing it to cache the creds of some other user?
    That would be really useful right now.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Ok so you know how in windows, if you have a laptop and you sign in while connected to the domain, it will cache the credentials and then you can log in while not on the domain (at least for a while.)

Laptops need better ways of dealing with a domain tbh.

• Options

Not that I'm aware, and this is something that would have been useful to me for the last 10 years.

• Options
    Windows inability for admins to impersonate users remains a thorn!

Though I guess also still a somewhat useful security paradigm.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Windows inability for admins to impersonate users remains a thorn!

Though I guess also still a somewhat useful security paradigm.

Sort of. Users should belong to groups where admins can have the permissions to impersonate specific groups. User impersonation is a useful tool, and if you have control over who can impersonate who there shouldn't be any security implications that wouldn't already exist given what an admin can actually do.

• Options
    it would be useful as fuck though

• Options
    Yeah.

I mean I think I've already created the solution, which is having a shared local account with no access to anything but the VPN and a script the user can run which will ask for their username/password and then cache their account.

This is brand new job though so I'll sit on that got a while, but the current solution of knowing everyone's password is untenable.

• Options
    Yeah.

I mean I think I've already created the solution, which is having a shared local account with no access to anything but the VPN and a script the user can run which will ask for their username/password and then cache their account.

This is brand new job though so I'll sit on that got a while, but the current solution of knowing everyone's password is untenable.

When I started at the place i work at now, there was literally a spreadsheet with everyone's password in it. and there was no password expiration. I changed both of that ASAP.

there are some cases where I work where the password needs to be static, and the user doesn't even know the password (truck drivers who only have a smartphone as an example) so those are still recorded, but in a more secure fashion. But the fact that I could just look up the password of someone in accounting and log in as them when I started there was absurd.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    We had a password spreadsheet when I worked at an ISP like 15 years ago. Unless the user knew how to telnet in and change it, I could look up any of them. Most passwords were really bad.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Ah, password spreadsheets, the Picard-double-facepalm of network security. Ours was at least kept in an encrypted offline drive. And the passwords were all randomly generated ten-character strings so we at least got away from the "p4ssw0rd" bull, even if I couldn't implement real passphrases.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Nope! These were the passwords that people wrote down on a piece of paper, which were then typed into a spreadsheet that was sucked into the Unix password file every hour or so. Until I started working there, mine (set up by my dad) was a five letter word, all lower case.

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    So I think this might be the right thread for this question. I'm trying to make the step from retail to IT, and a position has just opened up within my company that, while not really being a system administrator, has what I think are some of the basic components. I would be part of a ten person team that contracts out to a few different small business to handle IT needs. It seems like most of the job would be basic fixes, but the two things that they're looking for experience in are active directory and commercial-grade firewalls. I've got one year of doing, and two years of managing experience in terms of consumer computer-repair stuff, but obviously this is a different side of things. Could anyone point me in a good direction for what it really looks like to manage a business client's normal employee needs for IT? From what I can find online Active Directory seems suspiciously simple, and the hiring manager specifically said not to worry too much about the commercial-grade firewall stuff as it seemingly changes all the time and can be easily trained.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular

I think that by default the last 10 domain logins are cached (with max configurable being 50), but there are many stupid client apps that will fill that cache with trash during normal operation.

• Options
    More proof that no one reads IT's emails.

A manager's email: I have a new employee. Did you order a phone?
    My email: <Had no idea about new employee> I'll take one from surplus and set it up for him.
    My email: The phone is setup. I'll ship it to you. The passcode is 743985.
    <The next day>
    Manager's email: I received the phone. What's the passcode?
    <insert me banging my head against a wall and then forwarding the original passcode email.>

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Files copied, extra robocopy running just in case something slipped through, GPOs updated, logon scripts updated (and slated for deletion, why these are even in place I have no idea), and all agents scheduled to reboot overnight.

Odds that I haven't missed something that will tomorrow morning cause a headache: pretty decent!

• Options
    GhotiGhoti Registered User regular
    More proof that no one reads IT's emails.

A manager's email: I have a new employee. Did you order a phone?
    My email: <Had no idea about new employee> I'll take one from surplus and set it up for him.
    My email: The phone is setup. I'll ship it to you. The passcode is 743985.
    <The next day>
    Manager's email: I received the phone. What's the passcode?
    <insert me banging my head against a wall and then forwarding the original passcode email.>

Usually when someone does this to me, I go into my sent pile and attach a copy of the original email in my reply. No other text.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    For the first time in 12 years, Patch Tuesday is not my problem. MUAH HA HA HA HA HA HA!

...sadly, I still went through each MS article to see what was getting patched. I can't help wanting to know. I may never break that habit.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    - Fixed issue where Le_Goat had to care about patches.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    TL DR wrote: »
    Files copied, extra robocopy running just in case something slipped through, GPOs updated, logon scripts updated (and slated for deletion, why these are even in place I have no idea), and all agents scheduled to reboot overnight.

Odds that I haven't missed something that will tomorrow morning cause a headache: pretty decent!

Looks like users only have read-only access, despite being marked for Full Access NTFS and share permissions. Hmm.

edit: whoops, forgot they had shares in subfolders, and those share permissions somehow got set incorrectly.

TL DR on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Okay, so some questions about Apache 2 I'm having trouble finding info on:

For my current configuration I have:

www.domain.com | /www/domain.com - Media/Landing Page
    app.domain.com | /www/app.domain.com - This is where the app lives. Login page is here as well.
    help.domain.com | /www/help.domain.com - Currently empty, but used by Mailgun, and eventual wiki/support site for our product.

We also want to have insitution branded login pages for everyone. So Penn State would get psu.domain.com, Washington would get uw.domain.com, etc. So I currently have the default landing site being app.domain.com, and I'm building the login page to explode the domain used and pull the relevant login options (some are using only LDAP, some are using only Google, some are using both) and build the page with that schools branding (UW gets purple, PSU gets Navy, etc).

My two questions:

Is there a better way to do this than making the app page the generic catch all, without needing to update the apache configuration for every new group we bring on board? I am not a server guy by any means and every time I fuck with this stuff is one time closer to me breaking everything I feel like. What I have right now works, but it feels wrong.

And secondly, never mind because I figured out my problem while typing this! Lesson for you kids - don't do server configuration shit at 2am when you're already not that great at it.

Edit: Wait, no different problem. After you log in and out once, when you go back to the institution subdomain, it automatically puts you at app.domain.com. How do I stop that from happening?

Mvrck on
This discussion has been closed.