As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    so, uhh, is this where we panic because Oracle bought Dyn and burried the news on the days leading up to USA Thanksgiving?

It's OK. They're using an install guide.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    so, uhh, is this where we panic because Oracle bought Dyn and burried the news on the days leading up to USA Thanksgiving?

It's OK. They're using an install guide.

I just get the willies thinking about Oracle owning Dyn. Time to start migrating all of my domains I guess.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Oracle shouldn't be allowed to own anything but their shitty database software.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »
    Oracle shouldn't be allowed to own anything but their shitty database software.

I'm especially sad as they'll likely move the whole op out of NH

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Oh, your "Delivery Operations team" don't want to extend the warranty 20 days to co-term the outrageously priced licensing on this web filter so I can pay for it in the year it was budgeted? I'll remember that when it is due up for replacement next year.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Just got in a couple of Unfi AP AC PRO's in the mail. Time to upgrade the wifi!

wooo.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I should have mentioned, I'm working on doing a Unifi AP rollout to all our branches, and it got approved. So, y'know, I'm...

:tell_me_more:

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Construction crew working in the street a block away from my main client cut their fiber line.

On one hand, great because its not my problem.

In the other hand THANKS A LOT ASSHOLES.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Construction crew working in the street a block away from my main client cut their fiber line.

I've had that happen more times than I'd like to count, between fibre, copper for internet, and copper for phone. My now former employer had one location where there was road construction near the work site and the same crew cut the same copper line in 2 different places down the road within a week. Thank god it was a city crew and not one of our crews.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    in my apartment they were trenching the outside to put in weeping tile

they dug right through like 3 underground cables and 1 municipal pipe (I don't think it was used for anything though) because they didn't call to see if it was safe to dig

one of those 3 underground cables was the internet, the other was the TV, the third was apparently verizon's telephone stuff(??)

The TWC cable guy was pissed when he got there. It was great too because it was pretty clear they dug down to it, saw it, and went "not my job" and kept digging because it was shielded with some sort of tubing (might have just been PVC) and it looked like they spent some time digging through it.

I can't fathom that kind of mindset. The worst part is it was a saturday morning and I didn't have internet for 2 days until TWC could get someone out there.

The TWC guy hung the cabling with 3m Command hook thingies off the walls outside until they could get someone out to rebury the cabling properly and the city got involved because of the piping and I think they got hit with some pretty heavy fines because another group finished it once TWC and the city fixed everything.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I don't think a month has gone by without someone digging into a fibre line somewhere. It's ridiculous. To the point where I sometimes question if someone just fucked up internally and this is the standard excuse for fuck-ups. IT folks do that sometimes.

Also, Verizon's telephone stuff could very well have been fibre. They run fibre to a lot of their cell towers. That's how I sometimes get a fibre POP on a tower. Oh, Verizon is here? SWEET.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    sometimes though it's the fault of the company that has the cable in the ground. Where I am we have a program called one call, where you call one number and ask them to do a locate on that area, so they'll come out and paint lines for every underground service, water, power, telecom, gas, etc. Everything is in different colours so you know which is which, they leave info on how deep everything is buried, it is a great service, and free to use. The government funds the people who go around and do the locates, and companies provide the info to the service.

The issue here is that one of the two telecom providers does not participate in that program, since it isn't mandatory, and they want people to call them to do their own locates. It is stupid and I really wish it was mandatory for them to participate in one call. You'd think it would save the company money with fewer cuts to infrastructure, but they're annoyingly stubborn about it. To my knowledge they're the only company in the province that doesn't participate.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    sometimes though it's the fault of the company that has the cable in the ground. Where I am we have a program called one call, where you call one number and ask them to do a locate on that area, so they'll come out and paint lines for every underground service, water, power, telecom, gas, etc. Everything is in different colours so you know which is which, they leave info on how deep everything is buried, it is a great service, and free to use. The government funds the people who go around and do the locates, and companies provide the info to the service.

The issue here is that one of the two telecom providers does not participate in that program, since it isn't mandatory, and they want people to call them to do their own locates. It is stupid and I really wish it was mandatory for them to participate in one call. You'd think it would save the company money with fewer cuts to infrastructure, but they're annoyingly stubborn about it. To my knowledge they're the only company in the province that doesn't participate.

Oh I absolutely 100% believe this is regularly the case.

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

I think it's actually mandatory that utilities in the US at least send someone to a job site to either mark the lines or place an All-Clear flag if the automated 811 One-Call systems flag them as potentially having something buried in the area. I think the call requirement was a federal law pushed through in the 1980s, but I'm not 100% certain (it may have just been my state that pushed such a law through and then the federal law came at a later date). Wiki says that standardizing the number nationwide happened only 10 years ago, though. Interesting that it's not mandatory for utilities to participate in the program in your province.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    It was great too because it was pretty clear they dug down to it, saw it, and went "not my job" and kept digging because it was shielded with some sort of tubing (might have just been PVC) and it looked like they spent some time digging through it.

This mindset fucking blows my mind because that shit could be electrical and you could fricassee yourself.

• Options
    It's okay, they read the install guide before they did it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Ok say I have a GPO that does nothing but copy down a file so every computer in a SG.

I want to verify that the file has successfully been copied down to the computers.

They're remote PCs so they are only transiently on the domain, so I can't just check their admin shares or something.

Is there some kind of logging for GPOs where I can see "COMPUTERNAME connected and applied the FILEPOLICY with no errors at TIME"?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    doesn't that stuff hit the audit policy in the domain controller?

• Options

I know some of these words!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I don't think they do? But I'm not really sure.

• Options
    I mean I could re-do the policy so it's a script and have the script copy files and then log somewhere.

but I had doing scripts via GPO... nothing ever seems to work right

like I don't get why there isn't a "script" object y'know? I can pick "file" and say copy this file from here to there.

But I can't say "run this script" I have set up a whole task scheduler object and just hate myself the whole time because task scheduler is a piece of shit and has all these little quirks and if things aren't configured just so it all fails silently

• Options
    I feel like it's going to be infinitely easier to log it with the script itself somehow.

• Options
    I feel like it's going to be infinitely easier to log it with the script itself somehow.

yeah

I just didn't want to redo my GPO :(

• Options
    GPO is like regex

garbage

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    You're in a tough spot because every tool you could use to scan the systems aren't going to work if they're offline.

There was the GPMonitor.exe tool (2003 tool kit) that could send GPO info from the client to a centralized log location, but if you're already concerned that your GPO's aren't working, getting that tool out to every machine is going to have the exact same problem.

Putting a startup/logon/logoff/shutdown script in a GPO to do the file copy and report the verified results back is the only other option. But if you don't trust your GPOs to get applied, who's to say your script is going to download and run?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular

This happens all the time in all of my rural Texas offices. Many of these towns are building like mad because of oil and natural gas and I guess any idiot gets to drive the backhoes.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    GPO is like regex

garbage

Whaaaaat. I love GPOs :(

• Options
    You're in a tough spot because every tool you could use to scan the systems aren't going to work if they're offline.

There was the GPMonitor.exe tool (2003 tool kit) that could send GPO info from the client to a centralized log location, but if you're already concerned that your GPO's aren't working, getting that tool out to every machine is going to have the exact same problem.

Putting a startup/logon/logoff/shutdown script in a GPO to do the file copy and report the verified results back is the only other option. But if you don't trust your GPOs to get applied, who's to say your script is going to download and run?

This is pretty much my view on the matter. Let the GPO run once, verify the file is on the remote computer, and it should work from that point on. Unless you have a reason to suspect your GPOs aren't applying?

I believe there is some shit in the event log when a GPO fails to apply, so you could do event log forwarding, but that's more of a pain in the ass than either the GPO or scripting it, tbh.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Basically for ~reasons~ I need to confirm that the files have successfully made it onto the target machines and then follow up with users who don't have them and nag them/troubleshoot their VPN.

But yeah I'll just rewrite it as a script that copies the files, verifies the files, then just writes back to a log on the network somewhere.

Aioua on
  • Options
    Bigity wrote: »
    GPO is like regex

garbage

let me rephrase that

troubleshooting GPO is like using regex 99% of the time

garbage

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Basically for ~reasons~ I need to confirm that the files have successfully made it onto the target machines and then follow up with users who don't have them and nag them/troubleshoot their VPN.

But yeah I'll just rewrite it as a script that copies the files, verifies the files, then just writes back to a log on the network somewhere.

login scripts are your friend here. Here's a basic verify for a login script:

if exist "c:\myfile.txt" (
    @echo %computername% >> \\networkpath\report.txt
    )
    else (
    copy \\networkpath\thedamnfile.txt c:\myfile.txt
    )

Putting that as a login script makes it a bonus that if the user deletes the file, it shows back up next time they log in. You could also program a powershell script that goes out, checks all the machines on your network for the file, reports back to you if it exists or not, and optionally recopies it.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Has anyone used the MS ARM OS? Win 10 IOT Core. I'm possibly going to have to regulate one on the network and am curious whether it's just a giant pain in the ass.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Has anyone used the MS ARM OS? Win 10 IOT Core. I'm possibly going to have to regulate one on the network and am curious whether it's just a giant pain in the ass.

I mean I have a surface RT I got for free. :rotate:
    GhostDan wrote: »

login scripts are your friend here. Here's a basic verify for a login script:

if exist "c:\myfile.txt" (
    @echo %computername% >> \\networkpath\report.txt
    )
    else (
    copy \\networkpath\thedamnfile.txt c:\myfile.txt
    )

Putting that as a login script makes it a bonus that if the user deletes the file, it shows back up next time they log in. You could also program a powershell script that goes out, checks all the machines on your network for the file, reports back to you if it exists or not, and optionally recopies it.

Ah, but they are remote users who can only be expected to connect to VPN and get policy updates when their Office licenses expire.

What I'll be doing is rewriting it to schedule an immediate task to run a script that:
    1. copies the files if they're not there
    2. verifies the files
    3. read a logfile on the network somehere and looks for the computer's hostname
    4. adds the hostname if it's not there

good thing I figured out last time how to use wscript to make shit actually run silently in the background

(I think the windowstyle hidden thing finally works right on powershell 4 but they're all win7 machines so no dice)

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hello I am here to teach you about how at symbols work in batch files

• Options
    edited December 2016
    GPO is like regex

garbage

let me rephrase that

garbage

I loved GPO because I loved fucking around with regex.

Not even kidding a little bit.

Loading user's NTUSER.DAT files as regex hives, fucking with them, putting them back? Ah, the life.

Thawmus on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Thawmus wrote: »
    GPO is like regex

garbage

let me rephrase that

garbage

Loading user's NTUSER.DAT files as regex hives, fucking with them, putting them back? Ah, the life.

you're thinking of regedit

not regex :P
    rege(x|dit)

Aioua on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    3 weeks after switching from Kaseya to LabTech

LabTech is by far the superior product.

It still doesn't work and I hate it, just 25% of the time instead of 65% of the time.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    3 weeks after switching from Kaseya to LabTech

LabTech is by far the superior product.

It still doesn't work and I hate it, just 25% of the time instead of 65% of the time.

Fuck off with that. Kaseya is awesome. We use it at our office. What's the problem you're having?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Regedit is the manhole access to the twisted underworks of the sewer system supplying windows. Regex is the language that Cthulhu flunked out of in high school because it was too non-euclidean.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    GPO is like regex

garbage

let me rephrase that

garbage

you're thinking of regedit

not regex :P
    rege(x|dit)

I am indeed!

Well shit!

I don't even know what the fuck that regex thing is I guess!

But I know that I just got my FreeRadius server working with my Unifi Controller to do MAC, WPA2, and MSCHAPv2 authentication, and I know I'm real goddamn happy about it.

Because working on Radius shit suuuuuuuuuuuucks. We just got rid of our 3rd party DSL and I was so happy because it meant we'd be getting rid of our FreeRadius server, but no, no I had to go find another fucking reason to use it!

This discussion has been closed.