As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    That sounds like a page issue rather than an apache one.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    bowen wrote: »
    That sounds like a page issue rather than an apache one.

Yep, you were right. All fixed.

Though now I have a different problem. I'm trying to set up a wildcard redirect in .htaccess that is agnostic to the subdomain.

So going back to previous examples:
    uw.domain.com/shortname | uw.domain.com/subdirectory/file.php
    psu.domain.com/shortname | psu.domain.com/subdirectory/file.php

Where the physical path is in the same folder, but I want to everyone to stay on their assigned subdomain.

I thought I had something that would work with:
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^([\w\d]+)\.domain\.com$
    Redirect 301 %1.domain.com/evals http://%1.domain.com/app/evaluations.php

But it doesn't seem to be, and I'm honestly not sure what's wrong.

Edit: Nevermind, got it working.

PS - Best. Tool. Ever:

http://www.webconfs.com/htaccess-redirect-generator.php

Mvrck on
  • Options
    That is actually cool.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Added to OP.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    My pants.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    jfksdjfklsdjkldfsjkdf. I hate myself.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    We have a remote location that has a VPN. It's been going fine up until a couple months ago when the internet drops, the VPN drops, and then it's a pain to put up again. I call Comcast to see what's going on and they do the song and dance about restarting the modem, everything looks fine now, call us when it's down. So it goes down again and I call them. They send a tech out and they replace the modem. Everything still drops at random times. They send out another tech who says it's our wiring outside and they need to rewire to the building. Fine. They send out a crew, start to look around, and can't find the conduit to the building where the current wire goes through. This crew wants to run a new wire by digging up the ground, tearing up the driveway, and drilling a new hole in the building. Yeah, no. They can't find the conduit so they have to call another crew who has the equipment to do that. Comcast says that the new crew will be available in March. It's currently Early November.

My bosses want to change ISP's but I look into it and see that DSL is freaking slow (2 meg down and 512K up) and everything else would be really really expensive. So we wait.

The internet goes down again and I call Comcast to see if there's anything else they can do. I finally get a good tech who looks at the logs in the modem and determines that we've been DoS'ed by some IP address who is constantly banging on Comcast's firewall and then overwhelms the connection. He asks whether I want to turn Comcast's firewall off and let my router's firewall deal with it. I say uhhh no. I ask to change my IP and he says he has to change to Comcast Security for that. I get put on hold and do a little research on the IP. I find out it's someone in Germany. Comcast Security gets on the phone and they say I should run AV on all my computers and spyware scans. Ooookay. I ask him to change my static IP and he says he can't do that, Comcast tech support can. I explain that they transferred me to him and he says they got it wrong. I get put on hold again.

Comcast tech support comes on and I explain again what's happening. He suggests I talk to the ISP for the IP and that should settle things. I politely explain that the IP is from Germany and that would be somewhat hard so would you please just change my static. He starts in on the process and then says that their system is down so level 2 has to do it but they will call me when they are ready.

A week passes. I call them again and find out level 2 called some strange number and didn't get an answer so left it at that. How the hell did they get that number? They have no idea even though I gave them my cell phone number, my work number, and my extension number.

I drive out to the remote location and call Comcast again. Tech support can change the static even though Level 2 never assigned a number so they had to. They bring it to the modem, I configure the VPN, and everything works. I haven't had one problem with it since then.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    Even IT is not immune from stupidness. 30 minutes after sending my computer down for a reboot for updates, I am back to a usable state again.

I have a dell laptop with a slow 5400RPM hard drive, so the thing takes forever to boot. After boot, SCCM software center told me I had like, 20 more updates pending restart, which was weird. So I tried rebooting from inside software center, and it errored, saying it couldn't reboot. So I restart it normally, after it boots half the updates are listed as failed, but when I retry them they fail the install. I reboot again, everything seems good.

And my users think that IT never has to deal with that kind of stupid shit. :rotate:

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Man I'm so glad we convinced our boss that we should get SSDs in our laptops a couple years back.

• Options
    Man I'm so glad we convinced our boss that we should get SSDs in our laptops a couple years back.

that was one of the first things I started to suggest in builds when I started working here, but this place is very.... budget concious. (our CEO is an old school guy [emphasis old] who we can't get to understand that computers depreciate in value, not appreciate, so we can't sell them for more than we paid for them 4 years after we bought them. not kidding), so not every user gets an SSD, and the machine assigned to me when I started doesn't have one.

"high end" users get SSD's on new machines now, and we're buying some dell micro desktops that come with SSD's for any situation that warrants a desktop instead of a laptop.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Swapping out an old xp machine for a new box, copying all this his desktop shit.

Man is xp ever bad at estimating copy times. It's flipping between 9 minutes and 50 minutes.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Swapping out an old xp machine for a new box, copying all this his desktop shit.

Man is xp ever bad at estimating copy times. It's flipping between 9 minutes and 50 minutes.

Honestly, Windows still isn't super good at this, especailly over network connections. It all depends on the speed of the transfer. What it does is go "at this second it's going t at x mbit/s so I'll be done in y seconds" then "at THIS second I'm going at a mbit/s so I'll be done in b seconds"

What i really wish it would do, especially on bigger file transfers, is calculate it based off what the average speed is during the transfer, instead of the real time speed every second.

• Options
    Windows isn't very good at estimating because it bases it off file count and current speed, yeah.

It would be better if it based it off file count, current speed, and average size of the files.

File count is the biggest culprit here, a bunch of 1kb files followed by a big 100 meg file will fuck it up.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    To those of you to whom this applies, what do you expect of your dispatch team?

Ideally, and in years past, I'd have expected them to take calls, create tickets, triage issues, assign them to the appropriate tech based on skill level and whether the issue is related to a previous ticket, and to contact clients to schedule work when necessary.

Right now, I'd be thrilled if they would just read the email from the client and parse it - this as I move my 4:00 appointment for today entitled "Please have [TL DR] work on this during his onsite Wednesday" to Wednesday.

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Is there any way in Exchange to do forwarding\BCC of all top level domain emails? We have this request and I used the built in rules but it doesn't pick anything up. It's set to *@*.gc.ca among other things. It's definitely an odd request and I haven't found an answer on whether it is possible.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    I'm not really sure what you just said, but I'm guessing it's a really bad idea and probably frowned upon by mail servers.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Are you talking about journaling?

• Options
    I guess the owner wants every email that comes from an address that is part of the government to be BCC'd to his address. So if it comes from @transport.gc.ca he wants it, or from @gunsandammo.qc.ca he wants it.

gc.ca tends to be federal government, then there is on.ca, qc.ca, etc for each province.

Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
  • Options
    Journaling might work for that. Not sure if you can specify tlds like that though.

• Options
    Myiagros wrote: »
    I guess the owner wants every email that comes from an address that is part of the government to be BCC'd to his address. So if it comes from @transport.gc.ca he wants it, or from @gunsandammo.qc.ca he wants it.

gc.ca tends to be federal government, then there is on.ca, qc.ca, etc for each province.

I......I can't imagine a built in tool in exchange that would facilitate that. You're almost having to hijack an email in real time as it is coming into the server.

There are two ways that I can maybe kinda see a way for it to work. You could *maybe* forward email, but I don't think you can do it at the level in which it enters your email system and before it reaches the user the email is actually going to. The other option I can maybe see isn't exactly what he's asking for, but you *might* because to script something to dump every email from that domain into some kind of folder somewhere.

Either way, you'll have to do it not at the .ca level, but will probably have to build a rule for each one. .ab.ca, .bc.ca, etc. Since you can't just do *.ca since you'll get a ton of false positives.

BCC'ing the person is probably not the way to go about this, if you need to go about it at all. I'd try to find some other way.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Owner should just admit he can't know EVERYTHING that goes on at his organization and needs to trust his employees to fill him in, instead.

This is a personnel problem that isn't easily solved with a technological solution.

bowen on
  • Options
    Owner should just admit he can't know EVERYTHING that goes on at his organization and needs to trust his employees to fill him in, instead.

what is this "trust" you speak of? :rotate:

• Options
    I have never used journaling before, is it essentially a mailbox that builds reports on incoming mail and I could then build rules off of that?

• Options

This is a personnel problem that isn't easily solved with a technological solution.

Good luck with that. Just like my users should learn that "changes aren't necessarily evil."

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Is there any way in Exchange to do forwarding\BCC of all top level domain emails? We have this request and I used the built in rules but it doesn't pick anything up. It's set to *@*.gc.ca among other things. It's definitely an odd request and I haven't found an answer on whether it is possible.

I had something similar with all emails from/to a specific person being BCC'ed to someone.

However, it was found out due to the fact that read receipts will still go to that person if you have read receipts on.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    So enable journaling of all email to a mailbox, then set up boss with a mail profile for that mailbox with Outlook rules to delete everything other than what he wants

• Options
    Part of me is terrified of the scale of this deployment, but the other part of me is fascinated at the scale of this deployment. Can you imagine the planning and logistics in deploying Win10 to 4 million computers? In the department of defence no less?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/u-s-department-of-defense-to-upgrade-4-million-devices-to-windows-10-by-february-2017/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

• Options
    My boss just asked me if we should remove the language in our boilerplate policies about the DMZ because we are not a part of the military so what would be be doing in a demilitarized zone. . .

It hurts. . . .

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    My boss just asked me if we should remove the language in our boilerplate policies about the DMZ because we are not a part of the military so what would be be doing in a demilitarized zone. . .

It hurts. . . .

Insist it remain in there in case the US declares war.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

It hurts. . . .

Insist it remain in there in case the US declares war.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3kiRYcDAo

• Options

It hurts. . . .

Thanks. I just spit coffee out on my monitor.

• Options
    I'm not kidding. I still have a headache.

I am sure that conversation caused brain damage on some level.

• Options
    I'm not kidding. I still have a headache.

I am sure that conversation caused brain damage on some level.

No, the brain damage will be caused by the alcohol you will consume after having that happen to you.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Part of me is terrified of the scale of this deployment, but the other part of me is fascinated at the scale of this deployment. Can you imagine the planning and logistics in deploying Win10 to 4 million computers? In the department of defence no less?

http://www.zdnet.com/article/u-s-department-of-defense-to-upgrade-4-million-devices-to-windows-10-by-february-2017/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

At least the DOD probably has standardization in place and zero tolerance for Sandy in HR demanding not to upgrade because it will break her cute dog of the week calendar app.

Image them shits and go.

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

At least the DOD probably has standardization in place and zero tolerance for Sandy in HR demanding not to upgrade because it will break her cute dog of the week calendar app.

Image them shits and go.

No, but they do potentially have to worry about the usability and stability of software and manages and controls weapons of mass destruction which is possibly a bit more important than the cute dog of the week calendar app.

Maybe. Though maybe not to Sandy in HR.

• Options
    Their weapons platforms definitely do not run on consumer hardware, and absolutely do not run windows.

It's some ancient unix-like mainframe. I've seen the anti-missle defense stuff in Boston like 2 decades ago and I imagine it hasn't changed much.

• Options
    Their weapons platforms definitely do not run on consumer hardware, and absolutely do not run windows.

It's some ancient unix-like mainframe. I've seen the anti-missle defense stuff in Boston like 2 decades ago and I imagine it hasn't changed much.

I should have tagged it sarcasm. I thought the quip about Holly from HR's app being more important than it was enough.

But still, it'd be fun to imagine, a new universal app posted to the windows store, enter a code, enter co-ordinates, and it then displays a big red button on the screen with a caption "press here to start WW3/end the world"

• Options
    I'm an expert on military IT equipment. Just ask my boss.

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Anyone see any details on what exactly went down at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center? I know they wound up paying 17k, curious what the deal was with their backup practices.

• Options
    Nosf wrote: »
    Anyone see any details on what exactly went down at Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center? I know they wound up paying 17k, curious what the deal was with their backup practices.

Probably no one having checked it in months/years. Or they laid off most of their staff and no one knew whose job that was. Etc.

This discussion has been closed.