As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    this is why we don't let management in

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I honestly clicked the next (this) page expecting more.

Feeling very let down right now.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    I honestly clicked the next (this) page expecting more.

Feeling very let down right now.
    I got exactly the TotP post I wanted.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Managers.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I hate dealing with a certain data terminal vendor. Everything's such a pain in the ass to get and horrendously expensive.

After playing phone tag with three different people to get a quote on a development terminal we finally get the quote. Only 2K a month. Or 500 per user if we use the biometric login shit.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Three times!

Because it's once, twice, three times a mispost.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Kaseya has been down for us for most of the past 36 hours. It was up again yesterday when I left the office, and the plan was to move off of a failing RAID onto a different server while some dead SSDs could be replaced. It's down again this morning, but our internal team is working with support.

Just now, an email from a tech who I didn't even know was involved, sent to the entire company, that just says "Is anyone out there good at SQL?"

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I was at a customer site most of the day yesterday training administrators on their new time and attendance software. At around 1:00 someone else pokes their head in.

'Are you guys doing anything with Sage?'
    'No. Why?'
    'Everything is gone. Everything.'

The business manager calmly leaves the room. Later I was in his office and overheard him mention that there was a computer that had an odd message on the screen and the user said that the last thing she did was open an email.

Crypolocker variant hit the local machine and then spread to the mapped drives one of which had all of the Sage information. It had nothing to do with me or my software and I still had a knot in my stomach.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    I don't get why people open emails/attachments for things they are not expecting.

More importantly, why are people still using outlook with the preview pane?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I don't get why people open emails/attachments for things they are not expecting.

I do all my emailing via the preview pane.

• Options
    :-|

• Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Being on mental auto-pilot is why people open the emails they're not expecting, probably. Our last 5 infections were brought about by people clicking links in obvious malware emails, mostly due to not paying attention. At least one was user naivety, though.

Preview pane usage is a convenience thing for most people.
    wunderbar wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »
    I don't think software incompatibility is a worthwhile reason to not upgrade. The problems with shitty software that isn't getting updated anymore aren't going anywhere. Waiting to upgrade isn't going to fix anything. You might as well get the pain over with now and start reaping the benefits of a better operating system sooner.

unless you work in an enterprise enviornment where you depend on that software, and saying "oh just move to something else" isn't an acceptable answer.

"Looks like Microsoft forced an update that broke software, we're going to have to upgrade and/or buy new."

followed by ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That doesn't account for the expectation that you train in each user on how to use Windows 10.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

I always use the preview pane.

In Thunderbird.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »

In Thunderbird.

Yeah thunderbird doesn't remotely execute code.

Even the new email client in windows 10 does this shit. It's stupidly annoying.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

I do all my emailing via the preview pane.

I have a few users that use the preview pane in Windows Explorer. Microsoft Excel executes in Windows Explorer. There is never any instance where that can possibly go badly, right?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    And people still complain when I block .zip files.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

In Thunderbird.

Wait, really? That's crazy.

• Options

In Thunderbird.

Thunderbird isn't really any safer, I was more alluding to the fact that I'm using Linux. I get called over now and then by people who bitch about having Linux workstations, to find that they opened an obvious malware attachment, and it threw up an error message because it couldn't run.

I'm always sure to remind people of this when they ask why we're pushing Linux workstations.

• Options

In Thunderbird.

Thunderbird isn't really any safer, I was more alluding to the fact that I'm using Linux. I get called over now and then by people who bitch about having Linux workstations, to find that they opened an obvious malware attachment, and it threw up an error message because it couldn't run.

I'm always sure to remind people of this when they ask why we're pushing Linux workstations.

I wish I could push those.

Thunderbird's preview is much safer, though, as it's just basically a gecko HTML window. Can't implicitly load shit like Outlook's shell view nonsense.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular

In Thunderbird.

Every time I mention there is a Linux solution to a windows problem we are having I get angry glares.

• Options
    Hey thread, what is today's equivalent of the Linksys WRT54GL? It's what I usually recommend to folks who just want to set up a wireless network that will work. It's the Crown Victoria of routers.
    But like the Crown Vic, it doesn't support gigabit Ethernet or wireless speeds over 54Mbs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hey thread, what is today's equivalent of the Linksys WRT54GL? It's what I usually recommend to folks who just want to set up a wireless network that will work. It's the Crown Victoria of routers.
    But like the Crown Vic, it doesn't support gigabit Ethernet or wireless speeds over 54Mbs.

What's your budget?

• Options
    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-300Mbps/dp/B008RV51EE @Tofystedeth you can load DD-WRT on this AFAIK, so, and I have had good success with TP-Link stuff.

• Options
    I'm not lookin', though I probably could be. Just people sometimes ask about router upgrades/replacements like the recent thread here, and my goto answer is "If you want a wireless router that's easy to set up, and will last you 10 years with no problems, get a WRT54GL."
    But considering that's almost as long as I've had mine, there's probably a modern equivalent. I'm not usually bumping up against the top end of what it can handle, but as time goes on that's getting more common, and while I'm fine hanging on to my obsolete technology as long as it works well enough, I'd rather not start someone off there.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://amzn.com/B007ZJ8KLA

Because someone's gotta push UBNT all day erreday

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    One thing I have seen with Windows 10 that has prevented one customer from upgrading to it was that there isn't Windows XP Mode anymore. Since it isn't supported they just dropped it from 10. There is the option of Hyper-V but there's no way I can teach a 70 year old man how to use that to access his contact management software from 1998.

On the crypto front, had someone today call in that there were files on their server that were changing names on them. Log in and find that tons of their files had been changing to .crypt for the past 2 hours. It turned out to be someone RDPing to the terminal server from home(why these people have direct RDP access through the firewall is beyond me, that's the downside of having too many people working on the same network). Locked out the user from being able to RDP and it instantly stopped. Started the restore of the backup - 32GB, not bad. File count completes - 750,000 files...... fuck. It's been running for over 4 hours now and still has 335K to go.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    The Db Admin finally turned on the replication we had been asking for.

Except he flipped the master & slave hosts.

• Options
    The Db Admin finally turned on the replication we had been asking for.

Except he flipped the master & slave hosts.

:-|

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So possibly huge, stupidly dumb question:

On my two Debian installs, despite not actually changing or running any apt-get stuff, occasionally, my Apt/Lists/Partials folders will balloon up to fill the entire disk with empty/broken files. I've seen various posts about this around the net, but nothing really saying how to stop it. All just saying "yeah shit breaks, just nuke the files." Anyone know what's going on with this and why?

• Options
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So possibly huge, stupidly dumb question:

On my two Debian installs, despite not actually changing or running any apt-get stuff, occasionally, my Apt/Lists/Partials folders will balloon up to fill the entire disk with empty/broken files. I've seen various posts about this around the net, but nothing really saying how to stop it. All just saying "yeah shit breaks, just nuke the files." Anyone know what's going on with this and why?
    Bad repo?

• Options
    "Shit is cray" also works IRT linux

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I'm not lookin', though I probably could be. Just people sometimes ask about router upgrades/replacements like the recent thread here, and my goto answer is "If you want a wireless router that's easy to set up, and will last you 10 years with no problems, get a WRT54GL."
    But considering that's almost as long as I've had mine, there's probably a modern equivalent. I'm not usually bumping up against the top end of what it can handle, but as time goes on that's getting more common, and while I'm fine hanging on to my obsolete technology as long as it works well enough, I'd rather not start someone off there.

There's an FCC rule coming in a month or two that is going to make it significantly harder to load 3rd party firmware. If you care about DD-WRT/Tomato/etc, you should probably upgrade soon-ish.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

There's an FCC rule coming in a month or two that is going to make it significantly harder to load 3rd party firmware. If you care about DD-WRT/Tomato/etc, you should probably upgrade soon-ish.

whaaa FCC why

you have a link to that?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    If I had to guess, it's under the guise of "protecting the airways" because some custom firmware can pollute with the radio beyond the acceptable bands... and since there's no way to police the firmware.. you have to police the companies making the hardware.

• Options
    If I had to guess, it's under the guise of "protecting the airways" because some custom firmware can pollute with the radio beyond the acceptable bands... and since there's no way to police the firmware.. you have to police the companies making the hardware.
    I think that's the justification they used, IIRC.

• Options
    Yeah I mean. Last thing you want is some random wifi access point messing with some medical hardware because some douche loaded it into their router and is blasting a radio frequency that's supposed to be protected (I'm sure there's a specific example).

• Options
    Yeah I mean. Last thing you want is some random wifi access point messing with some medical hardware because some douche loaded it into their router and is blasting a radio frequency that's supposed to be protected (I'm sure there's a specific example).

Specific example: Most 5.8 Ghz gear can access the 5.4 Ghz band, but you have to utilize DFS when doing so. This means you have a frequency list ahead of time, and if your gear detects radar, it shuts off, scans the next frequency, and if all is clear, it moves over to that frequency.

Even high-end Moto and UBNT gear could be tricked into not using DFS for the longest time, so it would see radar, and smile and wave. The FCC has been busting a lot of balls in the past 5 years, because you could fib about your EIRP math quite a bit, too. When using DFS bands, your power levels are supposed to be much lower, but firmwares as late as 2 years ago let you skirt the restrictions pretty easily. "Yes, this antenna I have on the roof is a 5db antenna. Absolutely. Because you guys make those."

• Options
    Yeah it's sad, but not ultimately not surprising at all. Hell a microwave will fuck with 802.11G, it's not hard to imagine what the 5.8GHz bands do.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Not all is lost either. At least one of the big consumer router companies (netgear maybe?) is working with the open source firmware community to vet custom firmwares.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Not all is lost either. At least one of the big consumer router companies (netgear maybe?) is working with the open source firmware community to vet custom firmwares.

I believe it is Linksys.

Honestly, I'm all for making sure that even custom firmware only uses the bands licensed/allowed for the task. I just hope that everyone plays nice.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
This discussion has been closed.