As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Touch screens can be super great in applications where the equipment is going to be exposed to dust and shit like it. Physical buttons and ports can get all sorts of gunked up. Touch screens can be hermetically sealed.

There should be serial port emulation built directly into USB. There should be a passive adapter that shorts a pin or something that tells the controller it should run in serial mode. Then you could have a generic passive USB to serial adapter the same way we have adapters for keyboards and mice.

The reason you can have a passive ps/2 adapter on a keyboard/mouse is because the keyboard/mouse has hardware to do detection and conversion built in and ps/2 and USB both use 4 pins and essentially share functionality on 3 of those 4.

Just the fact that a serial port has 9 pins vs the 4 on USB means you can't get full-spec serial port functionality from a passive adapter. You have to have some hardware that will translate between the two. It can't go on the host side because that's already behind a 4-pin plug so "building serial port emulation into USB" is pointless. And if they were ever going to go to the trouble and cost of redesigning things to put extra translation hardware in the 9-pin peripheral, they would have just used a USB connection in the first place. Since making it part of the USB spec is pointless and the peripheral maker chooses not to use USB, the only option left is a separate adapter.

I think USB 3 has 9 pins now.

You still have the problem of connecting a serial device that only works with one-to-one communication to a common bus designed for one-to-many communication. The serial device would malfunction because it would be misreading all the packets sent to any other USB devices that were plugged in. Even if they could redesign the USB spec once again to somehow isolate a serial device, why go to the effort for a feature that is already three generations removed and gets increasingly irrelevant every day? And I say that as someone that still works with hundreds of serial devices that my company couldn't function without.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Touch screens can be super great in applications where the equipment is going to be exposed to dust and shit like it. Physical buttons and ports can get all sorts of gunked up. Touch screens can be hermetically sealed.

There should be serial port emulation built directly into USB. There should be a passive adapter that shorts a pin or something that tells the controller it should run in serial mode. Then you could have a generic passive USB to serial adapter the same way we have adapters for keyboards and mice.

The reason you can have a passive ps/2 adapter on a keyboard/mouse is because the keyboard/mouse has hardware to do detection and conversion built in and ps/2 and USB both use 4 pins and essentially share functionality on 3 of those 4.

Just the fact that a serial port has 9 pins vs the 4 on USB means you can't get full-spec serial port functionality from a passive adapter. You have to have some hardware that will translate between the two. It can't go on the host side because that's already behind a 4-pin plug so "building serial port emulation into USB" is pointless. And if they were ever going to go to the trouble and cost of redesigning things to put extra translation hardware in the 9-pin peripheral, they would have just used a USB connection in the first place. Since making it part of the USB spec is pointless and the peripheral maker chooses not to use USB, the only option left is a separate adapter.

I think USB 3 has 9 pins now.

You still have the problem of connecting a serial device that only works with one-to-one communication to a common bus designed for one-to-many communication. The serial device would malfunction because it would be misreading all the packets sent to any other USB devices that were plugged in. Even if they could redesign the USB spec once again to somehow isolate a serial device, why go to the effort for a feature that is already three generations removed and gets increasingly irrelevant every day? And I say that as someone that still works with hundreds of serial devices that my company couldn't function without.

I understand that designing around the technical limitations wouldn't be worth it, especially for such a niche case. I just think it would be nice if the industry had considered the consequences of obsoleting such a widely used port without having a backwards compatible upgrade path. I guess it wouldn't be as big of a deal if the active adapters weren't such shit.

The stuff that's still around using serial ports probably isn't going anywhere either. Yeah, it's equipment from the 70's and 80's that's ancient by modern computing standards, but it's mostly lab or industrial equipment that will still be in-date 30 years from now.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    The reason serial persists is that a lot of dummie terminals can have their data sent over cat5 in an isolated loop.

You can't really do that with USB.

So I can run a few dozen feet of cat 5 in a laboratory, and connect up analyzers and terminals to a single PC with a squid cable or similar multi-serial interface.

If you were going to replicate it, you're now talking an interface computer that adapts analyzer data over TCP/IP or similar technology and implements an API. You've just upped your complexity a fair bit.

You just cannot replicate that kind of functionality with stuff like USB, and thus, serial will stay a big player for a long time.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    All of our devices here interface serial.

Also ACT! can fuck right off.
    Anything that adds "functionality" to outlook can fuck right off.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    So, have any of you nerds done application packaging? Like, for making installers.

Apparently this was a service we farmed out and bringing back in-house because they sucked, and my boss offered me the opportunity to learn it and figure out how we want to do it... but I have no idea. :mrgreen:

A lot of it would be for applications we develop internally so I'd be able to get access to the code on whatever level was necessary. But even if it was just like, being able to disassemble an msi and rejigger all the variables that would probably be good enough, I just need to know what kind of tools I should be looking at. I think visual studio does it but that seems like overkill for someone who isn't actually a dev.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    So, have any of you nerds done application packaging? Like, for making installers.

Apparently this was a service we farmed out and bringing back in-house because they sucked, and my boss offered me the opportunity to learn it and figure out how we want to do it... but I have no idea. :mrgreen:

A lot of it would be for applications we develop internally so I'd be able to get access to the code on whatever level was necessary. But even if it was just like, being able to disassemble an msi and rejigger all the variables that would probably be good enough, I just need to know what kind of tools I should be looking at. I think visual studio does it but that seems like overkill for someone who isn't actually a dev.

Maybe http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page ?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    bowen wrote: »
    The reason serial persists is that a lot of dummie terminals can have their data sent over cat5 in an isolated loop.

So I can run a few dozen feet of cat 5 in a laboratory, and connect up analyzers and terminals to a single PC with a squid cable or similar multi-serial interface.

If you were going to replicate it, you're now talking an interface computer that adapts analyzer data over TCP/IP or similar technology and implements an API. You've just upped your complexity a fair bit.

You just cannot replicate that kind of functionality with stuff like USB, and thus, serial will stay a big player for a long time.

Serial is going to be with us pretty much forever - it's not just "older" technology. It's pretty much any device you have which has a microcontroller in it, implements RS-232 in some way. It's too fundamental and useful.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options

Serial is going to be with us pretty much forever - it's not just "older" technology. It's pretty much any device you have which has a microcontroller in it, implements RS-232 in some way. It's too fundamental and useful.

fuck then we really need a better solution for the future

usb-c has 24 pins we can make passive adapters happen

make it so any second adapter plugged into the usb bus doesn't work so you don't end up with the COM port switching problem, windows is all like, "there is either a USB RS232 or there isn't" it doesn't try and remember which device it is

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

What about stuff that makes existing functionality actually useful?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

What about stuff that makes existing functionality actually useful?

Is it an Add-in?

Fuck it.

• Options

fuck then we really need a better solution for the future

usb-c has 24 pins we can make passive adapters happen

make it so any second adapter plugged into the usb bus doesn't work so you don't end up with the COM port switching problem, windows is all like, "there is either a USB RS232 or there isn't" it doesn't try and remember which device it is

the computers that use it won't be laptops anyways. You can pop a PCI-e serial adapter in. That's what I've got for a 10 port squidie.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    uean wrote: »
    Question here: I'm beefing up security for a client and reconfiguring their wireless, a guest network and a Client network (guest is VLAN'd, and Client has full access to the LAN). I'm setting up RADIUS.

I went to install NAP and found that it was already setup for the customer's SSL VPN connection. The SSL VPN RADIUS checks of the user is a member of the 'VPN' domain security group and if not, drops the connection.

For the new wireless authentication I want to restrict access to Domain Computers and members of a 'Client Wireless' security group. So this means a new NAP policy. Once I finished configuring the two policies my NAP Policies show the SSL VPN policy first and the Client Wireless policy second. Where I'm confused is how I tell incoming wireless connections to grab the second policy when there are two policies on the server?

This is all Sonicwall firewall and Sonicpoint APs by the way,if it helps at all. Thanks!

edit - I added another condition that the policy only take effect if the request was forwarded from the Access Point, then placed this first in the ordering of the policies. Will this work?

The policy used will simply be the first one in the Processing Order whose policy Conditions match the inbound connection properties. So you want them to be ordered from most restrictive conditions to least restrictive.

For wireless access, I use NAS Port Type = Wireless - IEEE 802.11, Windows Groups = my security group(s), and Called Station ID = my SSID regex expression. The Called Station ID combines the MAC address of the AP with the SSID, so for example if your SSID was "TEST", then the regex used needs to be: ^.*TEST Or you can use: TEST$

Of course you also have to add every AP (or just the central controller depending on your system) as a RADIUS Client in NPS before it'll accept authentication attempts from them.

For a VPN, a common condition for that (depending on type) is Framed Protocol = PPP to differentiate it from other connection types. The best way to tell what Conditions you need to set for a Network Policy is to just try to make a connection and look in the Security event log on the RADIUS server for Audit Failures for the Network Policy Server. It'll list everything you might want to set as a Condition in your Network Policy. Also very handy for figuring out why someone might be unable to authenticate.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the dead air... I got hit with a bunch of massive projects (implement Microsoft Deployment Tools to deploy Win10 Enterprise as an upgrade en-masse for one client, the aforementioned wireless beef-up and RADIUS setup, some pen-testing which I am hoping to get the experts to do for me, an ESX to Hyper-V V2V upgrade to new hardware plus full server room redo (replacing 10' patch cords with 1.5'rs makes me so happy!), Exchange 2007 to 2016 dual migration, ... which I am literally finishing right now, just powered down the old server woot.... aaaaand I think thats it. It's been busy.

Oh yeah... so to answer my own question, basically Windows NAP can't do two authentication methods of EAP like I thought it could. its either Machine based, or User based, but not both. So my grand plan of only certain users from domain machines isn't feasible without a third party tool to combine the two auth types into a single one that WPA2-EAP can handle and pass back and forth to NAP. Not happening! Oh well.

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    ESX to Hyper-V, huh? It's not often you hear it going that direction.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    Is this a place where we can ask mighty system admins for advice, or is it pretty strictly for shop talk?

Because I have a svchost.exe(netsvcs) issue pop up in the last few days(?) that I can't seem to shake. Ran a full virus scan, and cleared my windows log, but it's still using at least 50% of the CPU. Any help is much appreciated.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Is this a place where we can ask mighty system admins for advice, or is it pretty strictly for shop talk?

Because I have a svchost.exe(netsvcs) issue pop up in the last few days(?) that I can't seem to shake. Ran a full virus scan, and cleared my windows log, but it's still using at least 50% of the CPU. Any help is much appreciated.

What service is hammering it?

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular

we talking Windows? like Chocolatey? or like just making .msi files? Windows doesn't really have package managers outside of Chocolatey and OneGet, and OneGet is really just a Win 10 pre-installed Chocolatey under the hood.

if you're building the .msi from raw files there's plenty of user friendly ways to do that. if you're trying to take an existing .msi and make it an automated install for mass deployment that's usually much trickier, you'll have to figure out what the .msi's switches are to make the install silent and feed it to the location you want. it's almost always /s, though.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

yea svchost is a generic name for a service process. if you're not sure what specifically is hitting it download a tool like process explorer, and that should give you a better idea of what the culprit actually is.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    So, uh, anyone here know about phone systems? Specifically Asterisk/freePBX?

I have a requirement to get diagnostic info on the exact DAHDI channel a particular call occupied because we're getting intermittent line noise.
    Don't have the exact versions but it was the latest major release of both.

• Options
    Walt wrote: »

we talking Windows? like Chocolatey? or like just making .msi files? Windows doesn't really have package managers outside of Chocolatey and OneGet, and OneGet is really just a Win 10 pre-installed Chocolatey under the hood.

if you're building the .msi from raw files there's plenty of user friendly ways to do that. if you're trying to take an existing .msi and make it an automated install for mass deployment that's usually much trickier, you'll have to figure out what the .msi's switches are to make the install silent and feed it to the location you want. it's almost always /s, though.

All Windows stuff.
    Ideally I'd like the ability to, like, unpack an existing MSI and futz with it, if possible. Like, I have program I can't deploy automatically because the variable for the license key can't be passed in via the command line.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

All Windows stuff.
    Ideally I'd like the ability to, like, unpack an existing MSI and futz with it, if possible. Like, I have program I can't deploy automatically because the variable for the license key can't be passed in via the command line.

that kinda stuff you have to deal with on a case by case basis. license keys are almost always stored in the registry though under HKLM/Software so you can try installing it and looking for where the .lic is, then making a registry script to add it after you silent install.

• Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited May 2016

Hmmm, my reading had lead me to believe (netsvcs) was a distinct type of svchost.exe, I guess that's not the case? I have looked into the possibility that it's a windows update issue-- I've had it turned off since october after a close call with windows 10, supposedly the update search, which is still on, can get backed up. Either way, I'm away from home, so I'll have to check when I get back, look into that process explorer. Thanks!

(Of course, the computer's had a number of other issues the last couple of months, so this may be fixing the radio while the car is on fire.)

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    edited May 2016

Hmmm, my reading had lead me to believe (netsvcs) was a distinct type of svchost.exe, I guess that's not the case? I have looked into the possibility that it's a windows update issue-- I've had it turned off since october after a close call with windows 10, supposedly the update search, which is still on, can get backed up. Either way, I'm away from home, so I'll have to check when I get back, look into that process explorer. Thanks!

(Of course, the computer's had a number of other issues the last couple of months, so this may be fixing the radio while the car is on fire.)

This is probably a bit more information than you want but:

Starting new processes is expensive, and each process running on a system has overhead. The operating system needs to do a bajillion things. In order to improve efficiency, windows runs a lot of those things as 'services' rather than processes. Instead of each service getting it's own process, multiple services share a single process. The process that they share is svchost.exe. Not all services are alike though. Different services need access to different parts of the system, and for security reasons you don't want services having unnecessary system access. Windows creates a handful of svchost processes, one for each type of services category (netsvcs is one such category), each with differing levels of system access. When a service starts, it's assigned to the svchost.exe that is managing it's category.

netsvcs is indeed a distinct type of svchost.exe, but that svchost is still responsible for over forty different services (although it's unlikely that anywhere near that many are all running at the same time).

In task manager you can right click the offending svchost and click 'go to services', which should highlight which services it's hosting. From there you can narrow down what's fucking up by turning them off one at a time until the cpu usage drops off.

LD50 on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Those feels when you rediscover a hitherto forgotten about device that is exactly what you need to solve a time-limited problem

• Options
    edited May 2016

Starting new processes is expensive, and each process running on a system has overhead. The operating system needs to do a bajillion things. In order to improve efficiency, windows runs a lot of those things as 'services' rather than processes. Instead of each service getting it's own process, multiple services share a single process. The process that they share is svchost.exe. Not all services are alike though. Different services need access to different parts of the system, and for security reasons you don't want services having unnecessary system access. Windows creates a handful of svchost processes, one for each type of services category (netsvcs is one such category), each with differing levels of system access. When a service starts, it's assigned to the svchost.exe that is managing it's category.

netsvcs is indeed a distinct type of svchost.exe, but that svchost is still responsible for over forty different services (although it's unlikely that anywhere near that many are all running at the same time).

In task manager you can right click the offending svchost and click 'go to services', which should highlight which services it's hosting. From there you can narrow down what's fucking up by turning them off one at a time until the cpu usage drops off.

Thanks for the explanation!
    My dumb guy summary: (netsvcs) is just another catagory, and I have to go deeper.

Anyway, yesterday, my (netsvcs) problem seemed like it like it went away, for no particular reason, and now it's back, except it doesn't even show up in Windows Task manager anymore, you have to go into resource monitor to witness it's crimes.

Either way, I've had bigger problems over the last few months, and I need to deal with them. Problems such as:

-At least three Blue screens, spread out over weeks and months.
    -Several instances of Windows error recovery on startup, after shutting down fine.
    -Some instances of mouse not being detected on startup, not even lighting up, requiring restarts.
    -Firefox crashed the computer twice on opening at one point.
    -Very slow startup, requiring several minutes before everything is sorted out.
    -Recently, it sometimes give me the starting windows message, and then it just turns black.... and stays black. I had to try turning it off and on four times tonight to actually get to desktop.
    -I have the system do several disk checks, including after the aborted startup attempts.

My options seem to be, for someone of my technical skill level and patience, is to bring it to my local repair shop, or reinstall windows. I've have pretty good luck with my repair guys in the past, but I feel like they're better at fixing hardware issues, and I suspect they might just reinstall windows themselves, for $50 to $100 or more.

I've reinstalled windows before, and have a second hard-drive, so it shouldn't be too burdensome, but I'm not certain that will fix my problems, and it's still time consuming.

Really interested what people think I should do.

BrocksMullet on

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular

My dumb guy summary: (netsvcs) is just another catagory, and I have to go deeper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3OJ6gAdSmI (sorry)

Anyway, yesterday, my (netsvcs) problem seemed like it like it went away, for no particular reason, and now it's back, except it doesn't even show up in Windows Task manager anymore, you have to go into resource monitor to witness it's crimes.

Either way, I've had bigger problems over the last few months, and I need to deal with them. Problems such as:

-Several instances of Windows error recovery on startup, after shutting down fine.
    -Some instances of mouse not being detected on startup, not even lighting up, requiring restarts.
    -Recently, it sometimes give me the starting windows message, and then it just turns black.... and stays black. I had to try turning it off and on four times tonight to actually get to desktop.
    -I have the system do several disk checks, including after the aborted startup attempts.

My options seem to be, for someone of my technical skill level and patience, is to bring it to my local repair shop, or reinstall windows. I've have pretty good luck with my repair guys in the past, but I feel like they're better at fixing hardware issues, and I suspect they might just reinstall windows themselves, for $50 to $100 or more.

I've reinstalled windows before, and have a second hard-drive, so it shouldn't be too burdensome, but I'm not certain that will fix my problems, and it's still time consuming.

It really sounds like a hardware issue to me. Likely something overheating (CPU/video) or bad RAM stick if I had to guess. I have seen that red herring of a service going wild, and what it turned out to be was the CPU overheating due to a failed fan. When a CPU overheats, sometimes it will slow itself waaay down (like 3GHz down to 600MHz) and kill a few cores in order to cool off, so you'll see something that usually takes up 5% proc (let's say the indexer service) balloon to 100% proc (red herring). I actually had this happen on my work laptop while I was on vacation once, and ended up taking it apart because I didn't have a smartphone at the time to check my email. It isn't fun taking apart a Dell Latitude D810 all the way to the processor.

• Options

My dumb guy summary: (netsvcs) is just another catagory, and I have to go deeper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3OJ6gAdSmI (sorry)

It really sounds like a hardware issue to me. Likely something overheating (CPU/video) or bad RAM stick if I had to guess. I have seen that red herring of a service going wild, and what it turned out to be was the CPU overheating due to a failed fan. When a CPU overheats, sometimes it will slow itself waaay down (like 3GHz down to 600MHz) and kill a few cores in order to cool off, so you'll see something that usually takes up 5% proc (let's say the indexer service) balloon to 100% proc (red herring). I actually had this happen on my work laptop while I was on vacation once, and ended up taking it apart because I didn't have a smartphone at the time to check my email. It isn't fun taking apart a Dell Latitude D810 all the way to the processor.

Hmmm, so it's possible the processor fan is down, or something else. Fabulous.

Would that also cause the blue screens, mouse issues, etc? The CPU slowdown is comparatively recent.

• Options

Hmmm, so it's possible the processor fan is down, or something else. Fabulous.

Would that also cause the blue screens, mouse issues, etc? The CPU slowdown is comparatively recent.

Really, the problems could be caused by almost anything. I agree that it is probably a hardware problem, but...

Since you have the storage space, I would back up everything (not a bad idea anyway, given the state of things) and reinstall windows from scratch. Maybe you just have some sort of software corruption the repair tools aren't able to fix. It's unlikely, but who knows. It will also give you a clean slate to start tracking specific problems down with; a fresh install will eliminate many red herrings.

Open up the computer. Make sure it's not full of dust and whatnot. Double check that all the connections are secure. Run the computer with the panel off and make sure all the fans are spinning.

If you have a spare USB drive, head over here: http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm and download the free version of the usb installer. Use it to make a bootable USB drive, and use that to boot into memtest (you might need to change your bios settings to boot from usb rather than from the hard drive). Let memetest test your ram for a couple of hours, or perhaps overnight.

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular

I have a requirement to get diagnostic info on the exact DAHDI channel a particular call occupied because we're getting intermittent line noise.

What type of diagnostic info?

I run FreePBX (used to run Asterisk barebones). Can you get the info you need from a verbose console? (asterisk -rvvvvv) I'm guessing not based on your question, but it's usually a good place to start.

• Options
    seriously

fucking devs and engineers

fuck your bullshit hardware testing app that you haven't updated since 2002

how about instead of us keeping an old-ass XP laptop around that has the specific parallel port expansion card to work with this antiquated bullshit, you get off your lazy asses and update your software

• Options
    it'd surprise me if they even had the code for it anymore

• Options
    edited May 2016
    it'd surprise me if they even had the code for it anymore

they damn well better

there are government regulations requiring it!

EDIT: like the only reason we're still supporting it is because we can't say no, since, regulations

Aioua on
  • Options
    There's gov't regulations requiring them to keep code or compiled binaries based on version?

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    My bet is the second one.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    it's medical devices

we're required to continue providing support for X years

I mean I guess they aren't specifically required to keep the code but they fucking should. You can't meaningfully provide support without it.

• Options
    so you think!

• Options
    SeñorAmor wrote: »

What type of diagnostic info?

I run FreePBX (used to run Asterisk barebones). Can you get the info you need from a verbose console? (asterisk -rvvvvv) I'm guessing not based on your question, but it's usually a good place to start.

Just the exact channel number would be a good start, so we can start correlating noisy calls with channel numbers. Then we can give that to the telco and say "fix this bit". It's an ISDN 30 line so there's actually a whole bunch of possibilities.
    As for logging, unfortunately the regular logs stopped including that specific info around v1.6 for technical reasons. Now the only source is the AMI events, which is a pain to access, or maybe some kind of internal logging on the Sangoma card maybe.

• Options
    so you think!

wan't your boss on you to decompile some binary the other day :P

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I'm running Switchvox. I regularly wish we were running Asterisk instead.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    so you think!

wan't your boss on you to decompile some binary the other day :P

nah some 3rd party wanted me to analyze binary data by looking at it to see where the problem was

• Options
    as if that's better

This discussion has been closed.