As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WITNESS MAD MAX FURY ROAD WINNING ALL THE [OSCARS]

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Oh god Revenant was so bloody

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I just couldn't take The Revenant terribly seriously. Basically with each bad thing that happened I just started rolling my eyes, and then it went back around to comedy for me. Essentially it became a very over-the-top super dark cringe comedy. If you cut every scene of bad stuff in half it could have worked better, but it all just went on so long that it lost any affect on me except this notion that Iñárritu really fuckin' hated Leo.

That said it is a very very pretty movie. And some masterful scenes hidden in it.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Revenant is basically The Grim starring Leo DiCaprio instead of John Taken, right?

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Gustav wrote: »
    I just couldn't take The Revenant terribly seriously. Basically with each bad thing that happened I just started rolling my eyes, and then it went back around to comedy for me. Essentially it became a very over-the-top super dark cringe comedy. If you cut every scene of bad stuff in half it could have worked better, but it all just went on so long that it lost any affect on me except this notion that Iñárritu really fuckin' hated Leo.

That said it is a very very pretty movie. And some masterful scenes hidden in it.

this is basically my thought

it could have lost an hour of Leo torture and I wouldn't have noticed

YaYa on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I kind of can't believe that Carol got skipped over for best picture by the Academy? It's one of the absolutely highest rated films of the year ('effin 95% on MC).

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It didn't feel over long for me at all, I don't think 2 and a half hours is that long really

And I mean cutting everything in half would kind of undermine the ordeal the character's going through for me

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Revenant
    My roommate and I were fighting giggle fits hard throughout the whole film. But a couple points just broke me.

-Tom Hardy dragging him and throwing dirt on him in the grave.
    -When he is floating down the river and it zooms out to show a waterfall.
    -SURPRISE CLIFF in the chase sequence
    -The avalanche that precedes the final confrontation (both of us were shocked. SHOCKED. when it didn't turn into an ordeal.
    -And that final shot of Leo looking into the camera? I stimmied a gut laugh. Because all I could think that was going on in his head was, "Can I have an Oscar now? Please, for fuck sake. I crawled naked into a dead horse for you."

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    final destination 2 will always have a place in my heart for explaining why devon sawa's character didn't come back:

he was hit by a brick before the movie started

just fucking

one day in between the movies, a brick fell out of the sky and killed his character

really it brings into question why death doesn't just off everyone that simple. why everything gotta be a rube goldberg machine

Everybody needs a hobby, even Death.

• Options
    That said. It was a super gorgeous film. I think the natural lighting really paid off as far as the looks department go.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Im still not entirely convinced (reavent)
    that it wasnt a real horse

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Revenant
    seriously though, how the fuck did they do that bear scene

it's one take, the bear is CGI...

how?!

• Options
    also if anyone wants to submit a prize for the pool, PM me or @Goose!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    God DAMN I hate the Razzies.

Sam Taylor Johnson for worst director for 50 Shades of Gray.

She should get a damn Oscar for her directing. She turned damn near unreadable material into an actually OK movie. That's as big of an accomplishment as anything last year.

• Options

She should get a damn Oscar for her directing. She turned damn near unreadable material into an actually OK movie. That's as big of an accomplishment as anything last year.

Well they nominated Kubrick for the Shining so she's in good company

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    as someone who works in LA, the idea of laughing at a bad movie formally is just...sickening

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't call the movie okay

But I will agree with the AV Club assessment that the contract negotiation was one of the better individual scenes of the year

• Options
    YaYa wrote: »
    Revenant
    seriously though, how the fuck did they do that bear scene

it's one take, the bear is CGI...

how?!

All those long takes were fantastic, I just wonder if the Academy are going to give Inarritu the award for doing the same thing he did last year in Birdman

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    exist wrote: »
    final destination 2 will always have a place in my heart for explaining why devon sawa's character didn't come back:

he was hit by a brick before the movie started

just fucking

one day in between the movies, a brick fell out of the sky and killed his character

really it brings into question why death doesn't just off everyone that simple. why everything gotta be a rube goldberg machine

Everybody needs a hobby, even Death.

I love the idea that when you miss your pre-destined death, then the grim reaper gets to decide how you die and he just wants to get super crazy with it. Like if he wasn't harvesting souls all the time, he would be one of those people that make super elaborate Lego machines or giant domino setups on YouTube.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I take the Final Destination thing as reality literally breaking apart in an effort to kill you

You missed your death date, and now you're like a foreign body in the system of the world

Death can no longer directly target you, because you are a foreign body, so that's why you don't all have heart attacks or whatever

But it will rip reality itself apart in order to ensure that you're excised from it

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular

Razzies could be used as an excuse to elevate more "so bad it's good" movies to cult status. But nope it's just the usual celebrity worship bullshit except targeting the most notorious thing, not "worst".

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    I might have to cave and see The Revenant, since the only other option I have for moviefilms at the moment is seeing Star Wars for the fifth time.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Heads up, this is due in 3 weeks!

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    3 weeks is a long time.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    my neck is not that strong

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    I finally watched Fury Road. So that was awesome. I regret all the months I've been able to watch it, but simply haven't. Charlize Theron, y'all.

I still have yet to see Room, The Big Short, and Spotlight. Having now seen Carol, I'm pretty sad it didn't get a Best Picture nod.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42
  • Options
    so Innaritu won the DGAs, which if I know my Oscsr voting rules means he's basically a lock for a back-to-back win

sigh

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    so Innaritu won the DGAs, which if I know my Oscsr voting rules means he's basically a lock for a back-to-back win

sigh

Bleh.

I mean, the movie was good, but it felt unnecessarily long.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

sigh

This enraged me so much that I just said fuck it and submitted my ballot with Mad Max/Carol winning everything (special exception for Sicario in cinematography and sound editing).

I guess The Revenant can win makup (because that's the reason Leo is getting his oscar this year) and visual effects (for Special Achievement in Bear Mauling).

I can't wait to get unreasonably upset at an award show!

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I need to enter mine soon

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    2 weeks. FYI

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    So when I went to see Deadpool tonight, there was an Oscars ad reel playing before the movie.

And it prominently featured Michael B. Jordan and Corey Hawkins, even though neither of them were nominated for Creed or Straight Out of Compton.

Whoever does the ads for the Oscars is a dick.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    "see? the Oscars isn't all white"

It's like a school or a company photoshopping in a black person to make their school/business look diverse.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh hey, there's been an Oscars thread this whole time

I used to get excited about this

And I hope I will again next year

But man I just do not give a shit about like...any of the nominations this year

I've never felt so apathetic about these awards, really hoping next year's batch will be better

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh hey, there's been an Oscars thread this whole time

I used to get excited about this

And I hope I will again next year

But man I just do not give a shit about like...any of the nominations this year

I've never felt so apathetic about these awards, really hoping next year's batch will be better

I'm the same way, and I even like a lot of these movies

Like when people ask me what I'm pulling for for Best Picture I just go "i guess i want mad max to win? i dunno" and shrug

And I love Mad Max!

I just really cannot care about any of it this year

Possibly because I know The Revenant is going to sweep and I have no interest in that movie whatsoever

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    "see? the Oscars isn't all white"

It's like a school or a company photoshopping in a black person to make their school/business look diverse.

https://youtu.be/fDUp1BX2TaY

One of my favorite Scrubs jokes.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Best Picture: Creed

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Revenant I dug, a lot.

But not due to Leo's performance. I mean it was mostly grunts and harrowing sorrow, you don't exactly need range to do that. Any halfway competent actor could have nailed.

I just loved the scenery and the shot selection.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Best Picture: Creed

If only

• Options
    littlewrenlittlewren Registered User regular
    Submitted my picks. Not happy about it. I thought The Revenant was a decent movie, but I don't think it was great enough to justify the sweep it's about to pull off at the Oscars.

Y48pkDN.jpg?1
    Twitter: @LittleWren42