As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'll check mine. It's still in the shrink wrap as well

Edit: loljk I don't have suburbia, I have Castles...

Edit2: worst totp ever

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Finally got Dungeon Saga out for a run. It's a good dice chucking dungeon crawling time!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Finally got Dungeon Saga out for a run. It's a good dice chucking dungeon crawling time!

Yeah? How many players did you have and how quickly did it play?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Anyone with Suburbia have issues with the box corners? Got my trade copy today and despite being shrink wrapped still, and in a shipping box that showed no damage, one of the lid corners is completely split and two of the bottom corners are split. Nothing packing tape can't fix, but irritating. Did they have quality issues in a reprint?

My copy of Surburbia didn't have any problems like that. (Off the top of my head, the only game I know of with common box-corner problems is Lords of Waterdeep.) Maybe send an e-mail to Bezier Games?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Hey, guys! I heard there was an awesome kickstarter for a new Games Thread ...

And, I missed all the preorder rewards.

I am now unreasonably pissed that I will never have the full Games Thread experience unless I pay a ridiculously overpriced amount on Ebay.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Hey, guys! I heard there was an awesome kickstarter for a new Games Thread ...

And, I missed all the preorder rewards.

I am now unreasonably pissed that I will never have the full Games Thread experience unless I pay a ridiculously overpriced amount on Ebay.

Don't worry, the thread was late and underwhelming. The OP is nothing like the concept art shown in the trailer. Refunds?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Yeah? How many players did you have and how quickly did it play?

3 people. We did the two intro scenarios which have two heroes and then a couple of runs at the first full scenario so the good guys had to control two guys each. Then we realised the major rules error we'd been making that was probably making life harder for the heroes than it should have been.

It's very quick to play. More complex than Hero Quest, a lot less then Descent, about WHQ level.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    There is a card (two copies) in one of the new Villains of the Multiverse environments that prevents (non-Vampires) from healing or doing radiant damage.

I was the Scholar in that game.

Fuck that card.

We still won — another last-man-with-damage-reduction-standing victory — but man was it ever a chore.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Anyone with Suburbia have issues with the box corners? Got my trade copy today and despite being shrink wrapped still, and in a shipping box that showed no damage, one of the lid corners is completely split and two of the bottom corners are split. Nothing packing tape can't fix, but irritating. Did they have quality issues in a reprint?

Surburbia materials have been getting cheaper and flimsier with every edition and new release. They've been cutting corners every way possible so I wouldn't be surprised if they used much thinner cardstock for the boxes now.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Surburbia materials have been getting cheaper and flimsier with every edition and new release. They've been cutting corners every way possible so I wouldn't be surprised if they used much thinner cardstock for the boxes now.

That's a shame, but I understand if they're trying to cut production costs to increase profit per game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    I put a p500 order in a year or so ago for Sekigahara. Hadn't checked in a long time and last time I did check it was sitting at like 150 orders. I just checked now and it's at 426!

I'm really excited that it's closing in on hitting the p500 goal. I can't wait!

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    El Mucho wrote: »
    I put a p500 order in a year or so ago for Sekigahara. Hadn't checked in a long time and last time I did check it was sitting at like 150 orders. I just checked now and it's at 426!

I'm really excited that it's closing in on hitting the p500 goal. I can't wait!

Good thing you posted this, convinced me to hop over and put a p500 order in for Sekigahara before it's too late!

• Options
    what's a p500 order?

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It's a pre-order mechanism with GMT games. They mostly make war games but won't re-print a game until it hits this 500 order mark. Sekigahara will be on it's third re-print if and when it hits 500.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! The last few times I've looked Sekigahara was low on orders but yes I would like a new shiny copy of that game at pre-order prices!

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Got another play of xcom in last night, with all 4 players, 2 new to the game. It was pretty rough, we never went really over budget but still had some awful luck with dice rolls, and the UFOs just overran us. I was the central officer, which I think is pretty interesting in addition to being the app manager, their ability to shuffle UFO's around seems really useful, we didn't really use it much last game I played since we only had three and the central officer was also the commander and was kind of slammed.

sig.gif
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Got another play of xcom in last night, with all 4 players, 2 new to the game. It was pretty rough, we never went really over budget but still had some awful luck with dice rolls, and the UFOs just overran us. I was the central officer, which I think is pretty interesting in addition to being the app manager, their ability to shuffle UFO's around seems really useful, we didn't really use it much last game I played since we only had three and the central officer was also the commander and was kind of slammed.

Oh, it more than seems useful. It IS really useful. It lets you consolidate to a few continents, allowing more efficient placement of interceptors. Being able to move to orbit is also great, since satellites don't cost money to replace.

In fact, I'm sure that's why Commander and Central Officer are the two roles combined in 3-player. Both of the Central Officer's abilities directly affect the Commander's two jobs - arranging interceptors and managing the budget.

I actually find playing both roles easier than playing just one! It's very hard to have a communication breakdown with yourself on where the UFOs should be and whether there's spare budget for redeploying troops :)

Edit: Fixed derp

gjaustin on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Oh, it more than seems useful. It IS really useful. It lets you consolidate to a few continents, allowing more efficient placement of interceptors. Being able to move to orbit is also great, since satellites don't cost money to deploy.

In fact, I'm sure that's why Commander and Central Officer are the two roles combined in 3-player. Both of the Central Officer's abilities directly affect the Commander's two jobs - arranging interceptors and managing the budget.

I actually find playing both roles easier than playing just one! It's very hard to have a communication breakdown with yourself on where the UFOs should be and whether there's spare budget for redeploying troops :)

Wait... what?
    I thought they did.

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

Oh, it more than seems useful. It IS really useful. It lets you consolidate to a few continents, allowing more efficient placement of interceptors. Being able to move to orbit is also great, since satellites don't cost money to deploy.

Wait... what?
    I thought they did.

They do in fact.
    » Each unit (Interceptor, satellite, scientist, and soldier)
    costs one credit from the XCOM budget when it is
    assigned to the board. The credits to pay for these
    costs are not spent until the resolution phase.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/54/ec/54ec74ce-1584-4354-9677-7fe1b1085b08/xcom_rules_reference.pdf

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Oops, brain fart.

Fighting with satellites is cheaper because you don't have to replace them when they're destroyed!

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about a game for awhile now, I've been calling it Conspiracy. The idea I have is that every player gets a conspiracy group that they are playing for, Illuminati for example, that is trying to take over the world through the government, media, and religion. As the players play, they can spend their turns increasing their hold over the people using cards drawn from the piles, or spending those cards to activate effects that cut power from another player. But this is the catch. While each person's conspiracy is kept secret, some players might be working for the same Conspiracy and not know it, which means that taking power from one player might be hurting your cause. The winner(s) would be determined by which conspiracy has gained the most influence when all the piles are drawn. I'm thinking of doing it as a card game with meeples as markets for influence.

Has this kind of game been made before?

So... Illuminati using the secret role variant?

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Honestly, the main fault with X-Com is that they only have the stupid app rulebook, and it's not super well laid out. I realized later that what would be really handy is some chart showing each way that a continent's panic can increase, so that you can gauge the value of each one, in terms of say, having a UFO on a continent, versus one in orbit, versus shooting it down but spending extra money, so you go into debt. That's basically the core of the game right there, but you get to it very obtusely.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Anyone have strong feelings about Legends of Andor? It looks neat, and I could grab a copy of the new Kosmos edition for $30... Tempting...

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Anyone have strong feelings about Legends of Andor? It looks neat, and I could grab a copy of the new Kosmos edition for $30... Tempting...

It's real good. I'd get it at that price in a heartbeat. There are expansions coming out soon tho and you will probably want them as the base game scenarios don't have much if any replay ability except for one of them.

• Options
    Got to play Legendary and Suburbia last night after our GM for Edge of the Empire and Imperial IA player backed out. Three players of each.
    Legendary was a neat take and change to the Dominion/Star Realms formula, and the way they interact the types of characters with symbols was neat. The villains are cool, but seemed a bit overpowered. Either they'd KO a hero (or all players KO a hero) or we'd have enough to just fight the mastermind so why bother. One we weren't even able to attack because you had to use a certain type of hero. This was the introductory game setup too.
    Either way, we had fun and I look forward to playing it more.

Suburbia was fun and definitely want to dig more into it. Our towns were pretty terrible but I wasn't surprised since we didn't know the tiles and what to expect. The next game will be much more interesting. Money and income was way more important than I expected, but you can easily fall behind if you neglect influence, so it was interesting to see it come together. Randomized the tiles can make it pretty rough to get what you may need, so it was cool to try and make do with what was available.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The "standard" Suburbia strategy is to get income above 10 as soon as possible in the first third or first half of the game, and then switch gears to max your reputation with the B and C tiles. That's the advice I always give beginners, because you can really end up hamstrung if you don't have adequate funds in the last half of the game and don't have a plan to get more money.

That said, the game can get substantially more interesting when you can find ways to deviate from this basic strategy: for example, a well-placed lake with a 2x Waterfront Realty can get you $24 in a single turn (and then a 2x on the lake can get you another $24 next turn!); you can also try to go all out on Residential tiles, which tend to be less expensive than other tiles (especially if you have Homeowners' Association) and almost entirely ignore Business and Industry entirely; etc.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Played Keyflower for the first time last night, that game seems really fun! I also imagine it will play entirely differently next time now that everyone has a game under their belt. Going into Winter not really having a good idea what tiles there might be for scoring made it hard to plan, but it was still fun.

I managed to absolutely crush score wise by scoring the building that gives you 10 points for having a set of 1 of each skill token, but, I am fairly certain I only got away with it because no one bothered to stop me amassing skill tokens because no one knew such a scoring tile existed.

• Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    The "standard" Suburbia strategy is to get income above 10 as soon as possible in the first third or first half of the game, and then switch gears to max your reputation with the B and C tiles. That's the advice I always give beginners, because you can really end up hamstrung if you don't have adequate funds in the last half of the game and don't have a plan to get more money.

That said, the game can get substantially more interesting when you can find ways to deviate from this basic strategy: for example, a well-placed lake with a 2x Waterfront Realty can get you $24 in a single turn (and then a 2x on the lake can get you another $24 next turn!); you can also try to go all out on Residential tiles, which tend to be less expensive than other tiles (especially if you have Homeowners' Association) and almost entirely ignore Business and Industry entirely; etc.

Yeah, that happened to my wife. She shot ahead early on, but then got stuck with no income for a good 1/3 of the game towards the end.

I tried to go residential, grabbing the homeowners association and later on the stadium, and then my wife and friend took all the housing projects and retirement villages before I could snag them. I think we ended up short on greens as well from the shuffled mix, so that didn't help things.

Definitely something I could get into a lot, and my friend said he enjoyed it (helped I'm sure by winning) and wanted to play again. Glad I was able to get that trade!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    DeoDeo Registered User regular
    Got some new Shadows of Brimstone stuff in the mail today! The XXL Burrower, Darkstone Brutes, and my second Guardian. Super excited to get home and put them together--the Burrower looks absolutely huge in the pictures I've seen.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    hey is amerithrash a thing?

a friend of mine insists its like the reclaimed way to refer to ameritrash non-pejoratively and it weirds me out

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Amerithrash sounds like the name of a bitchin' metal board game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I've never heard of it.

I also don't think Ameritrash is that much a pejorative anymore.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    What word or how do you guys refer to the games we play in comparison to well known things like monopoly and sorry?

Like a craft beer to a budweiser? Is there a term that fits for board games?

Edit: artisanal? Would that convey the style difference? Sounds ridiculous saying it out loud.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    I say they're hobby board games. Everybody plays/has played Clue, Sorry!, and Scrabble. Hobbyists have played Carcassonne and Formula D.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    What word or how do you guys refer to the games we play in comparison to well known things like monopoly and sorry?

Like a craft beer to a budweiser? Is there a term that fits for board games?

Edit: artisanal? Would that convey the style difference? Sounds ridiculous saying it out loud.

'Good' and 'bad' mainly :rotate:

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    I call them "modern board games" when I try to explain them to someone. Easy to understand -- "It's like board games I grew up with but new!" -- and not alienating -- "I like Monopoly and Sorry, so maybe I'll like modern board games too!"

If I say something like "Euro-style board games" they won't know what I'm talking about, and if I describe them as "more complex board games" it risks the person instantly thinking what I'm talking about is overly complicated and inaccessible.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    "Ameritrash" is only a pejorative of the person using it doesn't like heavily themed games. I've seen "euro" used much more often as an insult than ameritrash.

Using either as an insult pretty much just makes the user look like an asshole.
    wonderpug wrote: »

If I say something like "Euro-style board games" they won't know what I'm talking about, and if I describe them as "more complex board games" it risks the person instantly thinking what I'm talking about is overly complicated and inaccessible.

So? Let them. Then have them try a game and they understand.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Yeah, usually I refer to anything we'd talk about in this thread as a "modern" board game, to distinguish it from "classic" board games, like Monopoly and Risk.

• Options
    Are there any new board games made in the classic style that have broad appeal? My kids play Disney Princess Pop-Up, but I don't see a whole lot of mass appeal stuff next to old standbys like Candyland and Sorry!.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

Yeah, that happened to my wife. She shot ahead early on, but then got stuck with no income for a good 1/3 of the game towards the end.

I tried to go residential, grabbing the homeowners association and later on the stadium, and then my wife and friend took all the housing projects and retirement villages before I could snag them. I think we ended up short on greens as well from the shuffled mix, so that didn't help things.

Definitely something I could get into a lot, and my friend said he enjoyed it (helped I'm sure by winning) and wanted to play again. Glad I was able to get that trade!

If you guys liked Suburbia definitely look into picking up Suburbia Inc asap. It's one of the few really great boardgame expansions imo. Not so much 5*, though.