As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I know this is general board games, but.. Thanks, FFG.

Yesterday I learned Ultra Pro makes binder sheets designed for mini-american sized cards that FFG loves so much. They were $24 for a box of 100. I checked with my FLGS, and they were selling them for 50 cents each. I picked up 4, and they are pretty much perfect for X-wing and Armada.

So now the question is.. do I contact my FLGS and see if I can get a price match or discount on a full box, or just go with Amazon's price? Because with my love of FFG's plastic crack... I likely will need a ton of sheets..

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I just ended up buying a box of 100 of those things...

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I know this is general board games, but.. Thanks, FFG.

Yesterday I learned Ultra Pro makes binder sheets designed for mini-american sized cards that FFG loves so much. They were $24 for a box of 100. I checked with my FLGS, and they were selling them for 50 cents each. I picked up 4, and they are pretty much perfect for X-wing and Armada.

So now the question is.. do I contact my FLGS and see if I can get a price match or discount on a full box, or just go with Amazon's price? Because with my love of FFG's plastic crack... I likely will need a ton of sheets..

Contact your FLGS. The worst that can happen is they say no, and then you get to decide whether supporting them in this particular instance is worth paying just over twice the price. No harm, no foul either way.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Woo, Eclipse bought! My collection grows! Sci-fi action next week!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Now that I've played a few games of Scythe I'm going back through the last couple of months' of posts about it.

Oddly, all three games I've played so far were won by white. The ability to crush workers without popularity penalty is quite strong, as is picking 2 of the 3 encounter choices. That said, in our most recent game the white player beat me (black) by two measly points and never used the worker-crushing ability as there was precisely one combat in the entire game — the one that ended it. I was also the only one in the higher popularity scoring bracket (which was also key to my victory as white in our previous game) so there were a number of ways where the outcome could have been quite different, but alas my turn came after his* and he rightfully ended the game before I was able to "turn the crank" one more time.

Funny story: the winning white player scored nine points from leftover resources that game.

We have yet to see the black blitz strategy manifest. The first game everyone was learning, and they were not present in the second. I was aware of it in my game as Saxony but had other things to do and didn't feel like trying it. I did score a star from maxing out my power, though.

*We don't sit in the recommended faction order. Maybe it would have made a difference here, but it's kind of a nuisance.

Six wrote: »
    My biggest criticism is that I paid for all these awesome coins but you don't need anything but 1s and 3s until final scoring :)

In my last game I had the "have $20 at the end of your turn" objective and achieved it. They were not all 1s and 3s, I assure you!

I'm also very curious to see how the expansion factions play out, since neither of their home bases are cut off from the mainland by rivers.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    *We don't sit in the recommended faction order. Maybe it would have made a difference here, but it's kind of a nuisance.

I think at least part of the game's balance is based around the seating order, although probably not to a huge extent. I'm curious though, how is sitting next to your start area a nuisance? I would think that having someone seated not by their starting area would be a nuisance.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »

I think at least part of the game's balance is based around the seating order, although probably not to a huge extent. I'm curious though, how is sitting next to your start area a nuisance? I would think that having someone seated not by their starting area would be a nuisance.

I have a large table, but it isn't so large that someone can't reach across for the few pieces they might need to move on a given action.

We sit where we sit and randomly deal out the boards. No other game requires us to play Musical Chairs first just to maintain a clockwise play order. That said, going forward we will probably stick to faction order. It's clearly marked by the board itself so if that happens to not jibe with seating order it's just as much a minor hassle as physically changing seats would be.

Although that does bring up one of the few issues I actually have with the game: determining start player. I get that the higher-numbered boards get better starting positions because they might not get as many turns as the lower-numbered ones, but that only really applies to whoever actually starts. If board five is to the left of board one then that seems like they're getting an advantage over, say, board three to their left.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    The faction-specific turn order is indeed a very unusual feature. Interesting that it is shared by the two hottest games out right now (Scythe and Vast). Huh.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Now that I've played a few games of Scythe I'm going back through the last couple of months' of posts about it.

Oddly, all three games I've played so far were won by white. The ability to crush workers without popularity penalty is quite strong, as is picking 2 of the 3 encounter choices. That said, in our most recent game the white player beat me (black) by two measly points and never used the worker-crushing ability as there was precisely one combat in the entire game — the one that ended it. I was also the only one in the higher popularity scoring bracket (which was also key to my victory as white in our previous game) so there were a number of ways where the outcome could have been quite different, but alas my turn came after his* and he rightfully ended the game before I was able to "turn the crank" one more time.

Funny story: the winning white player scored nine points from leftover resources that game.

We have yet to see the black blitz strategy manifest. The first game everyone was learning, and they were not present in the second. I was aware of it in my game as Saxony but had other things to do and didn't feel like trying it. I did score a star from maxing out my power, though.

Six wrote: »
    My biggest criticism is that I paid for all these awesome coins but you don't need anything but 1s and 3s until final scoring :)

In my last game I had the "have $20 at the end of your turn" objective and achieved it. They were not all 1s and 3s, I assure you!

I'm also very curious to see how the expansion factions play out, since neither of their home bases are cut off from the mainland by rivers.

I read that neither of the expansion factions will have the speed upgrade, and both have things they can place in the board (traps and flags) but no one knows what exactly those things do yet. I'm burning with curiosity!

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I have no actual design insights, but given the semi-asymmetric nature of the factions, I would guess the specifics of faction order is *important*. I'd be hesitant to mess with it.

But then, I'm a little bit funny when it comes to rules, especially something as heavily playtested as Scythe is.

Darric on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Christ all mighty, fuck the secondary board game market. I just got Ghostbusters the Board Game and I was trying to hunt down the kickstarter extras and they are several hundred dollars.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Unless I happen to see them on the shelf at my local place, I assume that any kickstarter bits I missed the first time around are gone forever.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    I'm considering the Bitbox board game storage kickstarter. Has anyone here looked into it?

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Christ all mighty, fuck the secondary board game market. I just got Ghostbusters the Board Game and I was trying to hunt down the kickstarter extras and they are several hundred dollars.

I mean, that is why they want you to kickstart these things, is to get the exclusive stuff you can't get later.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Saurfang wrote: »
    I'm considering the Bitbox board game storage kickstarter. Has anyone here looked into it?

They do look interesting if you have a ton of games that are becoming a fire hazard, but I always thought that part of the fun of having a collection was to gaze upon the wall of boxes that you have built.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options

I mean, that is why they want you to kickstart these things, is to get the exclusive stuff you can't get later.

I didn't even know it was a Kickstarter thing! I saw it on an amazon gold box deal and bought it.

But, I did put up several hundred dollars for the Dark Souls board game to get all that shit.

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Got our Disgruntled Deck in the mail today, woo! I'll just have to wait until I get back from this trip to play it.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

They do look interesting if you have a ton of games that are becoming a fire hazard, but I always thought that part of the fun of having a collection was to gaze upon the wall of boxes that you have built.

Yeah, I really like the look of them BUT ALSO I think game boxes are pretty. I think I might get one or two for the smaller games, just to see how I like them? Like, the idea of packing everything super-tight is very appealing, and it makes more room for more games, but it spreads components out (because you at the least need to keep the pieces and the board/rules in separate compartments), and I don't know that I'd ever be able to actually throw out the game boxes.

Although, let's be real: some games come packaged in boxes that are three times bigger than they need to be, at least.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I still haven't even played my copy of Ghostbusters. I suppose I should get around to that sometime, if nothing else to tell you guys if the Kickstarter extras are even worth it.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I still haven't even played my copy of Ghostbusters. I suppose I should get around to that sometime, if nothing else to tell you guys if the Kickstarter extras are even worth it.

It's a lot of fun! Post script; if you're not interested in your extras I will happily pay for them.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

It's a lot of fun! Post script; if you're not interested in your extras I will happily pay for them.

I have the KS exclusive "deluxe" version so the extras all fit in the box, is the thing.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Going to try out Star Trek Frontiers this weekend, I think (I've never played Mage Knight). I got fully halfway through the walkthrough manual before falling asleep, but it seemed... manageable.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

I don't much care about the shelf storage, though it looks nice in those cube organizers. I definitely am interested in the mobile product though. My only hesitation is that with shipping it puts it over MSRP so if I wait I could conceivably get them cheaper on Amazon if they ever mass produce them.

I'm interested though because currently packing games for vacation is a pain and my boxes get dented up or take up so much space.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

They're kind of not (friend backed it, not me). Mostly you get alternate characters (four from the later animated series and one from the video game, IIRC) and alternate ghosts. There should also be "impossible" versions of ghosts/scenarios that live up to the name because they're kiiiiinda bs.

What they offer is added replayability via more variety, but how valuable that is depends largely on how often/much you actually want to replay it. We've played through two of the scenarios and while it has certainly exceeded expectations it hasn't really done so resoundingly.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

They're kind of not (friend backed it, not me). Mostly you get alternate characters (four from the later animated series and one from the video game, IIRC) and alternate ghosts. There should also be "impossible" versions of ghosts/scenarios that live up to the name because they're kiiiiinda bs.

What they offer is added replayability via more variety, but how valuable that is depends largely on how often/much you actually want to replay it. We've played through two of the scenarios and while it has certainly exceeded expectations it hasn't really done so resoundingly.

Yeah, the game is just "ok". I give it maybe a 6.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Epimer wrote: »
    Going to try out Star Trek Frontiers this weekend, I think (I've never played Mage Knight). I got fully halfway through the walkthrough manual before falling asleep, but it seemed... manageable.

I highly recommend you watch Ricky Royal youtube channel and gameplay walthrough. He recently did one for Frontier. I know I learned Mage knight watching his excellent gameplay walthough. Help make sense of all the rules. I would actually recommend watching it before reading the rule. Makes it easier to understand and assimilate after seeing the game in action.

I'm love Mage Knight (it's my favorite board game of all time) but Frontier is too similar so I decided to pass on it. Great Solo games also.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    If you are in the New York City area, the Compleat Strategist's Facebook page says they have CAPTAIN SONAR in stock.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    If you are in the New York City area, the Compleat Strategist's Facebook page says they have CAPTAIN SONAR in stock.

Specifically the midtown Manhattan area, just to narrow that down further. It's not very far from Grand Central if you're passing through.

I keep meaning to find an excuse to stop by there when I find myself taking care of something in Manhattan but I work in Queens for the most part, so no such luck yet.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It's on E. 33rd, literally just around the corner from the Empire State Building.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    For those in the Philly Area, there's also a satellite location in King of Prussia.

I got Fragged Empires there about about a month ago, so they definitely have the good stuff on occasion.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    So it turns out that the UK release date for Captain Sonar hasn't actually arrived yet. Pre-orders only!

Well then, onto bated anticipation!

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I ended up playing Indie Boards and Cards new social deduction game last night "Don't Mess With Cthulhu". I like it! I like the fact that it's a bit easier explain what you need to do as an investigator or cultist, as well as explaining how to bluff. I also like that there isn't a "close your eyes" script to follow. It seems a bit skewed toward the investigators, which supposedly is solved by introducing Necronomicons (substitute Elder Signs that cause a loss if they are picked first) into the mix, which we didn't do. We did mix in the relics, which made it far more interesting.

I think the main problem is that the turn of play passes to the person who was investigated, leading to situations where the flashlight token (the indicator on who is the active player) is passed back and forth between two people, which leaves other people sidelined, but that's a flaw of a lot of social deduction games.

I think the game would benefit greatly from a last ditch assassination attempt on the part of the cultists, if you don't play with Necronomicons, like The Resistance: Avalon. Still, I think this game is worth a look, and probably will replace the Resistance as my go-to social deduction game.

Another replacement I played last night is of the abstract hex-grid variety. "Hey, That's My Fish!" is definitely going to be replaced by "Battle Sheep". "Battle Sheep" seems more interesting, although I definitely recommend having more than two players because it really shines when it is more cutthroat. The penguin minis are cuter than the discs in Battle Sheep, though.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Last week I went on holiday with my bro and his family. Took the opportunity to play some Imperial Assault with my 6yr old nephew. He got the basic ideas down and with a team of Fenn, Biv Dialla and Jyn he's very good at shooting the crap out of my stormtroopers. Sure he doesn't get every rule and remember all his skills, but im helping him but we're having a blast playing it together.
    i've only won one mission (out of 6) and that was because Biv is bad at hacking computers and the time limit ran out.

Then he came round yesterday and we played the 'fly solo' mission, where the idea is to get Han to an evac point. Its pretty hard for an imperial player to lose that mission but I managed it by not focusing everything on Han and killing him in a single turn like I could've. Basically Jyn and Dialla went to rescue Han while Biv and Fenn had a big gunfight near the alleyway Han has to get to. Had a hilarious moment with IG-88, he appeared within line of sight of Fenn. Fenn shot him twice, turn ended. first thing next turn Fenn blows him apart. queue a sarcastic 'great job there IG-88' from me and cackles of glee from my nephew,

Next mission I played my 'dark obession' agenda card, Darth Vader has to cross a map to find Luke Skywalke., Rebels just have to kill Vader or prevent him reaching Luke within 6 turns to win.
    Nephew decided that killing Vader was the plan. Vader disagreed and proceeded to use his brutality skill to just carve the rebels apart. Everyone was just clustered around the door to a hangar and the rebels had no space to move away and get shots at Vader, and it ended with all four rebels dead, yet unless I read the mission wrong the rebels could still win if Vader didn't reach where Luke was.
    Vader got to Luke with the last possible movement of turn 6.

So now I can use Vader in any mission I want. Pity I only have a few more missions in this campaign.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Hopefully IG-88 got at least one shot in before going down, since he deploys Ready. 10 Health, +1 block always, and Surge: Recover 3 can keep him alive for a bit if he isn't getting focused down before you can activate him again. :P

IMO the round timer on Dark Obsession should probably be longer by one round: as it is, if the rebels close all the doors, Vader has to spend basically all of his actions moving to the goal and opening the doors in order to get there in time. He can afford maybe one action to chop the rebels on the way past. Since all of the rebels have to be wounded before Vader can activate the beacon to win the mission for the Imperial Player, the scant few Imperial starting units have a lot of work to do. If I was playing "seriously" I don't think I'd spend the influence on Dark Obsession (way too hard to win, not a great reward), but if I was playing against a 6 year old I totally would because it's a cool setpiece.

Sounds like you're having fun though, which is important! :)

Fry on
  • Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I must've misread it and deployed IG-88 exhausted (same as the officer and stormtroopers that deployed at the same time). Allowed Fenn 4 shots at him before he got a chance to do anything which was enough to blow him up. I think my mistake made for a funnier event.

With Dark Obession my nephew tried to go all out to kill Vader, and ignored the stormtroopers and closing doors. Which made for a funny moment when one of them finally hit Dialla in a shot which killed her. which was probably the first time a regular storm trooper had done any damage to her, my nephew has been rolling a freakish amount of dodges (or 'the xmen symbol' as he calls it) when it comes to her.

We're definitely having lots of fun playing it though, and his face when I said the next mission involved Darth Vader was priceless.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Today is gonna be busy. Netrunner tourney/ going away party for our TO and leader of the local card scene, followed by demoing mansions of madness all day. I'm thinking 3, maybe 4 rounds is enough for a demo without spoiling things. I'm Also willing to run full games, but they would need to be quick.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    GaryO wrote: »
    I must've misread it and deployed IG-88 exhausted (same as the officer and stormtroopers that deployed at the same time). Allowed Fenn 4 shots at him before he got a chance to do anything which was enough to blow him up. I think my mistake made for a funnier event.

With Dark Obession my nephew tried to go all out to kill Vader, and ignored the stormtroopers and closing doors. Which made for a funny moment when one of them finally hit Dialla in a shot which killed her. which was probably the first time a regular storm trooper had done any damage to her, my nephew has been rolling a freakish amount of dodges (or 'the xmen symbol' as he calls it) when it comes to her.

We're definitely having lots of fun playing it though, and his face when I said the next mission involved Darth Vader was priceless.

You're doing good work here Gary.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Went to see Kubo today (highly recommended; Laika continues to be stop-motion Pixar). Came home to find two packages for me!

The first:
    CqUmPOhWcAQzkX4.jpg

Foil SotM Heroes Collection! This was scheduled to arrive this Tuesday, so getting it a couple days early was nice especially since two local friends got theirs yesterday.

These foils look amazing. I've been playing MTG long enough to see some truly wretched foil jobs, but every one of these cards was crafted specifically for this process and the results speak for themselves.

Second?
    CqUmujwWgAAqur6.jpg

VAST! Man, this shipped on Monday. Sure it only had to get here from Indiana but still. Apparently I have copy #105 if I'm interpreting the little slip of paper with only a giant number on it correctly? (Either that or it was inspected by #105, I guess?) Gonna take a while to parse my way through this but looking forward to maybe giving it a trial run tomorrow!

In summary: today was a good day, only slightly marred by the rain that fell while we were at the movie, rendering any plans I had of mowing my back yard this afternoon quite moot.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Went to see Kubo today (highly recommended; Laika continues to be stop-motion Pixar). Came home to find two packages for me!

The first:
    CqUmPOhWcAQzkX4.jpg

Foil SotM Heroes Collection! This was scheduled to arrive this Tuesday, so getting it a couple days early was nice especially since two local friends got theirs yesterday.

These foils look amazing. I've been playing MTG long enough to see some truly wretched foil jobs, but every one of these cards was crafted specifically for this process and the results speak for themselves.

Second?
    CqUmujwWgAAqur6.jpg

VAST! Man, this shipped on Monday. Sure it only had to get here from Indiana but still. Apparently I have copy #105 if I'm interpreting the little slip of paper with only a giant number on it correctly? (Either that or it was inspected by #105, I guess?) Gonna take a while to parse my way through this but looking forward to maybe giving it a trial run tomorrow!

In summary: today was a good day, only slightly marred by the rain that fell while we were at the movie, rendering any plans I had of mowing my back yard this afternoon quite moot.
    I was just stoked with the new art. It looks so much better!

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    SO much Sin showed up today!

wbkhqdji07bb.jpg

(sin cat for reference)

There is so much ding dang game here it's crazy.

and VAST showed up yesterday!