As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    I saw an adult Codenames at Target that I was totally unaware of.

Codenames nooooooo.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

Codenames nooooooo.
    It's not THAT adult. Not on the CAH level. It's more sneaky double entendre stuff. Target has a lot of limited time exclusives in the board game section. For example, they have the beginner versions of Ticket to Ride and Evolution, along with an Oregon Trail card game.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    If you consider "orgy," "vibrator," "condom," "skank," and "penis" to be sneaky double entendres...

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    edited September 2016
    Hahaha, yeah, that's pretty on the nose. Codenames saved us from CAH, which is definitely worse than that, but I still might try to hide the existence of Adult Codenames from the playgroup.

EDIT: to be clear, I don't have a problem with adult themes in general, I just feel like they suck some of the creativity out of the games as the thought processes become pretty singular.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular

Codenames nooooooo.

At least there's no Codenames: Pictures: Deep Undercover.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I heard there's some decent cards in there you can use without getting explicit, just not an ideal use of money for half of the cards.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    JonBob wrote: »
    If you consider "orgy," "vibrator," "condom," "skank," and "penis" to be sneaky double entendres...

penis is so dang sneaky

you never expect it and all of the sudden OMG THERE IT IS

Magic Pink on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hahaha, yeah, that's pretty on the nose. Codenames saved us from CAH, which is definitely worse than that, but I still might try to hide the existence of Adult Codenames from the playgroup.

EDIT: to be clear, I don't have a problem with adult themes in general, I just feel like they suck some of the creativity out of the games as the thought processes become pretty singular.

It's odd, but I sort of think that, say, "penis" is a perfectly good Codenames thing. That'll get you some weird clues.

Some of the other examples would definitely tend to drag you off in one direction, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

When I think CAH is adult, I think "oh, they are playing the Armenian genocide for laughs. Huh." Stuff on that level. :confused:

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    When I think CAH is adult, I think "oh, they are playing the Armenian genocide for laughs. Huh." Stuff on that level. :confused:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I think Auralynx makes a good case for some of them. I was mostly just taken aback when I saw it.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i think it would be kinda fun to throw the "adult" words into the mix with the regular words. you still have to come up with ways to clue them all together, and having like Washington, squirrel, ice, and orgy as your set of words doesnt seem like it would be any easier or "sexier" or whatever. i just dont really play enough Codenames to need more words, and plus im already planning on picking up Codenames Pictures for my "more Codenames" needs.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    JonBob wrote: »

penis is so dang sneaky

you never expect it and all of the sudden OMG THERE IT IS

Grower, not a shower?

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Board game designers are missing the real opprtunity here--just about any game could benefit from an adult edition. Imagine Mansions of Madness, but you're fighting a giant dick monster. Or Tokaido, now a game of sex tourism. Or Love Letter to Penthouse.

Of course, some games don't need one. Dixit. Ticket to Ride. Extreme fetish game Scattergories. And of course, Taboo.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Board game designers are missing the real opprtunity here--just about any game could benefit from an adult edition. Imagine Mansions of Madness, but you're fighting a giant dick monster. Or Tokaido, now a game of sex tourism. Or Love Letter to Penthouse.

Of course, some games don't need one. Dixit. Ticket to Ride. Extreme fetish game Scattergories. And of course, Taboo.

Arbor Eat 'Em ohgodI'msorry

Betrayal at Whorehouse on the Hill. Pandemic: STD edition. Risk.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Imagine Mansions of Madness, but you're fighting a giant dick monster.

I guess you missed the Kingdom Death: Monster kickstarter?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Speaking of Dixit (Dicksit).

I think I might enjoy a Adult version of Mysterium? There's plenty of artists with styles to suit. HR Giger in particular. I'm not really sure how it'd fit into the game as is. I think you'd need to redo the game from the ground up. Less, murder, and more, lost love? You need to figure out who was the ghost's lost love, where they seperated, and what drove them apart? Or something.

edited September 2016
    Is anyone in on the Near and Far Kickstarter that would be willing to get me the Above and Below extra content? PM me if so.

Thanks!

Magic Pink on
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Lind wrote: »
    Random confession time. One time I made a big mistake when setting up a game of Battlestar Galactica and all players became Cylons :biggrin:

Setting up Spyfall so that everyone is a spy is a treat.

can you feel the struggle within?
    edited September 2016
    We had a pretty epic game of Sentinels of the Multiverse last night. Roster was Termi-Nation Bunker, Dark Watch Mr. Fixer, Setting Sun Ra, and the new Captain Cosmos. We were up against Progeny in the Dok'Thorath Capital. If you are familiar with the heroes, villain, and environment, it seems that pretty much everyone is a damage fountain. It was a race to the bottom, as in the bottom of our health points. Progeny makes this worse by assassinating whoever is below 10 health with direct attacks. He also started with the fire Scion and the Ongoing that buffs his damage. Eep!

I managed to save one person during a turn by dumping the construct that heals them when it is damaged and bursting a lot of 1 point hits against it.

We ended up winning by using Setting Sun Ra's flipped power of dealing 10 irreducible fire damage, at the cost of removing him from the game. BLAZE OF GLORY! I managed to mitigate just enough random damage with the construct that blocks energy damage to survive at 2 health at the end of the game. Everyone else was knocked out!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    We had a pretty epic game of Sentinels of the Multiverse last night. Roster was Termi-Nation Bunker, Dark Watch Mr. Fixer, Setting Sun Ra, and the new Captain Cosmos. We were up against Progeny in the Dok'Thorath Capital. If you are familiar with the heroes, villain, and environment, it seems that pretty much everyone is a damage fountain. It was a race to the bottom, as in the bottom of our health points. Progeny makes this worse by assassinating whoever is below 10 health with direct attacks. He also started with the fire Scion and the Ongoing that buffs his damage. Eep!

I managed to save one person during a turn by dumping the construct that heals them when it is damaged and bursting a lot of 1 point hits against it.

We ended up winning by using Setting Sun Ra's flipped power of dealing 10 irreducible fire damage, at the cost of removing him from the game. BLAZE OF GLORY! I managed to mitigate just enough random damage with the construct that blocks energy damage to survive at 2 health at the end of the game. Everyone else was knocked out!

We had a bad enough experience with Progeny when we first tried him in my Sentinels group that nobody wants to try him again. I've played against him a couple times in the app and if you don't just get instantly buried under the weight of multiple Scions he's doable but really tense.

New Captain Cosmic is definitely really strong because he can multi-trigger stuff. The guy who tried him when we got our new toys out last weekend was under the impression that I could just Haka Smash repeatedly with Taiha and was really confused when I ended up using the Taiaha, Mere, and the new XTREME Haka power instead.

I like that Captain Cosmic and Fanatic's new versions reward you for playing them in different ways than you're usually allowed to, instead of doubling down on existing strengths. Having thought about it some I'm actually very excited to try out Xtreme Fanatic when I get a chance!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I dunno. Progeny seems like a weaker version of Iron Legacy, to me. It's definitely a DPS check, but there are ways you can shut down his damage with lots of heroes. We just didn't happen to have the right heroes, for that. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @Wearingglasses Cardhaus has a Labor Day sale that just started and it includes a few Doomtown packs! Don't know if they are ones your in-laws have or not.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Food chain magnate for only $91! What a steal, you can't afford NOT to buy it!

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    @Wearingglasses Cardhaus has a Labor Day sale that just started and it includes a few Doomtown packs! Don't know if they are ones your in-laws have or not.

That's a pretty goddang awesome sale, but unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near North America. Appreciate the heads up, though!

• Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    By the way, Barnes and Noble is handing out 40% off coupons which applies to their board games too. Might use that to Mansions 2E (relatively) cheap.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith

That's a pretty goddang awesome sale, but unfortunately, I don't live anywhere near North America. Appreciate the heads up, though!

You're not missing out...I just tried ordering some things and their shipping is atrocious. Which extra sucks because their store used to be local for me!

• UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    By the way, Barnes and Noble is handing out 40% off coupons which applies to their board games too. Might use that to Mansions 2E (relatively) cheap.

Are these members only ones, or are they going out to general email lists?

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Food chain magnate for only $91! What a steal, you can't afford NOT to buy it!

Shit, I paid like 25 bucks more than that.

sig.gif
  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular

Are these members only ones, or are they going out to general email lists?
    It appears that it's for everyone as long as you have the code and it appears that the codes can be re-used by others.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular

The first three saddlebag expansions are the ones on clearance at $6 each, so even with shipping it's not too bad. If you have a couple of things on clearance to buy, it's probably a decent deal. I'll probably be doing that.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    I dunno. Progeny seems like a weaker version of Iron Legacy, to me. It's definitely a DPS check, but there are ways you can shut down his damage with lots of heroes. We just didn't happen to have the right heroes, for that. :D

Yeah, I can't get them to play against Iron Legacy either.

We're on the "who do you feel like playing?" system, as opposed to the "how are we going to dissect this boss," one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited September 2016
    I just did exactly this. Also, free shipping for stuff over 25 bucks, which Mansions of Madness definitely is. I wasn't expecting to purchase this so soon, but this seems like a great deal.

[board games] thread strikes again! My wallet!

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
    hay boardgame thread

if there's still any MYTH players in here, I have set of the MYTH only RECON stuff they had in the KS to sell. Two hunter minis, male and female, with one deck of hero cards (beginning items not included, you must use the Archer's cards). One agent mini, Inquisitor Algar, with his stat card and bonus ability card. One mini boss, EZ-LDR, with its stat card. 3 Infected minis with their stat card.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Selling things in thread is against the rules. You are however allowed to put a link in your signature.

How does one get this B&N coupon?

ACsTqqK.jpg
    I literally just Google'd "barnes and noble 40 off" and found the code within one of the previews. I didn't even have to go to the website that had it. I guess you can constrain the search to less than a day if you don't find it, but it's on the first page.

8i1dt37buh2m.png

If you're signed up for the B&N newsletter or whatever then you'd get it. They pretty regularly email coupons, though they aren't necessarily always useful.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016

If you're signed up for the B&N newsletter or whatever then you'd get it. They pretty regularly email coupons, though they aren't necessarily always useful.

Oddly enough, i didn't get the coupon even though i'm signed up for their emails and even have a membership or whatever they call it with them.

Ketar on
    I literally just Google'd "barnes and noble 40 off" and found the code within one of the previews. I didn't even have to go to the website that had it. I guess you can constrain the search to less than a day if you don't find it, but it's on the first page.

Found it, thank you!

ACsTqqK.jpg