Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Board Games] - Skynet defeats Korean guy in an abstract strategy game. The end is nigh.

19495969799

Posts

  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    While SeaFall sounds like it might not have the universal appeal of Pandemic Legacy, I think I fall into the niche of gamers for whom it would still give a good time. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the same could be said of my regular group, so if I get it, I run perhaps the worse of both worlds - loving it, but being stuck in a campaign that got abandoned a third of the way through because no one else wants to play it any more.

    Very much in the same boat (hoho) as you. The company I'd pre-ordered with is shutting up shop and refunded my money. I've not placed a new pre-order. The fact that I and a significant portion of my group have gone Malifaux mad lately doesn't help either.

    TingleSigBar.gif
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    My father surprise gift ordered Seafall for me. I'm not even sure I want it, after watching that review. But I'll give it a whirl.

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy Registered User regular
    If I were gifted Seafall, I'd play it to the end with the sole purpose of finding a way to prove SUSD wrong. Not because I disagree with them, but because I'll happily sink in the hours into such a massive game, if I don't feel the need to "get my money's worth" out of it. Not sure I'd do the same with all the other games currently aboard the S.S. Hype Nation.

  • Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    I was super excited for Seafall but the spate of luke-warm/lackluster reviews has definitely put me off for now. I feel like I would enjoy it but I don't know that my group is willing to sit through 4-5 ok sessions to get to the good stuff. Pretty sure they'll abandon before then. At this point I think I'll wait until this gets in players hands and see what the reaction is.

    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    Chiselphane
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Well, I haven't watched the SUSD review yet, but I also read very little about Seafall, as I've learned my hype lesson in the videogame threads.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    .
    Fry wrote: »
    ShadowRun: Crossfire is a game I really want to try, but am nervous enough about that I can't make myself just buy it outright.

    My game store started a thing recently where they buy used games from people, check that the components are all in order, then resell the games as "certified pre-owned" at half of MSRP. They've had a remarkably good turnover in decent games. And it's a good excuse to unclutter my closet.

    I like it a great deal but it's remarkably difficult. However, once you manage a win or two and upgrade your characters a little it gets much more reasonable; never easy but not so ridiculously overwhelming. I've read suggestions of starting a character with an upgrade already, which while technically is 'cheating', it's something I wish I had done, and can even justify it thematically because why would you be a runner if you didn't have any skills etc.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If my gaming group were solid as I'd like it to be, maybe I'd get Seafall, but as it is we're having trouble getting everyone together every week for RPGs so I don't want to try and add another commitment to it.

    wpyz0Y5.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    SEAFALL sounds very much like the old SOURCE OF THE NILE boardgame, with all of that game's strengths and weaknesses.

  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    That was a depressing Seafall review, especially considering how hyped Quinns has been about the game for years. I'm not going to cancel my preorder... but I probably won't be playing it immediately either. One of the hypothetical players was going to be new to board games, and I don't want this to be his first experience. I'll try introducing him to some other games for a while first, maybe Gloomhaven if the wheels don't fall off there too.

  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    That was a depressing Seafall review, especially considering how hyped Quinns has been about the game for years. I'm not going to cancel my preorder... but I probably won't be playing it immediately either. One of the hypothetical players was going to be new to board games, and I don't want this to be his first experience. I'll try introducing him to some other games for a while first, maybe Gloomhaven if the wheels don't fall off there too.

    Much more is known about how Gloomhaven plays so I feel that's still a safe bet. But yeah, that's a downer about Seafall and it's off my want list now. Taking so long to get going will be table death at our house, and I'd be below optimal player count as it is.

  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    I made a horrible mistake on Saturday... was at Miniature Market's store in St Louis on Saturday to pick up an online order, and it would just be rude to visit and not buy something else so I picked up Shadows of Brimstone. First play went over very well, so I decided to look into what expansions and extras are available, and oh dear I am in trouble.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    edit: I should clarify I'm not saying discount it completely but there seems a LOT of sudden 180s based off of it. I go with Rahdo myself but he's pooped on lots of games I adore so... hold onto your hype!

    Magic Pink on
    Zombie HeroElvenshaeSageinaRage
  • El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    TimFiji wrote: »
    I am getting so impatient for Sekigahara reprint!

    I've had a p500 order since February 2015, i check like once a week to see if its hit the in production stage.

    PSN: SecondaryPoultry
    UPlay: ElMucho
    Steam: El Mucho
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    TimFiji
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    I've been following Quintin Smith's writing since Rock, Paper, Shotgun. I follow him on Twitter, I watch many (though not all) of his videos, and I read many (though not all) of his written reviews. I know what he's like as a person, I know what his interests are, and I know how his opinions intersect with mine. SU&SD reviews are meaningful to me not because some Sky Authority has handed down a Decree from On High for me to follow, but because I can get a pretty good idea of what I'll think of a game based on how those guys talk about said game. I don't like everything they like, and I like some things they don't like; nevertheless, their reviews help me figure out my likely relationship with a product based on their relationship with it. Same with Tom Vasel, actually.

    I don't rely on only one reviewer, but I do put a whole lot more weight on some reviewers than I do on others.

    JonBobCantideDirtmuncherjakobagger
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    edit: I should clarify I'm not saying discount it completely but there seems a LOT of sudden 180s based off of it. I go with Rahdo myself but he's pooped on lots of games I adore so... hold onto your hype!

    In the defense of the Seafall skeptics, the Dice Tower and All the Games You Like are Bad have had nearly the same complaints as SU&SD: the prologue is too long, there's too much downtime (especially at 5 players), the writing in the Captain's Log is mediocre even by gaming standards, and by game #4 or so everyone wants to just abandon the game entirely. I'm not sure I've heard a single positive review of the game yet.

    Hedgethorn on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    edit: I should clarify I'm not saying discount it completely but there seems a LOT of sudden 180s based off of it. I go with Rahdo myself but he's pooped on lots of games I adore so... hold onto your hype!

    In the defense of the Seafall skeptics, the Dice Tower and All the Games You Like are Bad have had nearly the same complaints as SU&SD: the prologue is too long, there's too much downtime (especially at 5 players), the writing in the Captain's Log is mediocre even by gaming standards, and by game #4 or so everyone wants to just abandon the game entirely. I'm not sure I've heard a single positive review of the game yet.

    Ah, ok, I didn't know any of that.

    well, that blows. people seemed really excited for it.

    Magic Pink on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I know this sounds stupid, but the fact that it's naval ships and pirates is what killed it for me. That setting does absolutely nothing for me. Again, stupid but just the way it is for me.

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I know this sounds stupid, but the fact that it's naval ships and pirates is what killed it for me. That setting does absolutely nothing for me. Again, stupid but just the way it is for me.
    Whoah there pardner, not at all. Setting is a HUGE part of what makes a game appealing.

    Zombie HeroChiselphaneMNC DoverVyolynceArcSynElvenshae
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    SUSD are the only board game review site that I find even remotely watchable.

    Epimerwebguy20jakobagger
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Cantide wrote: »
    That was a depressing Seafall review, especially considering how hyped Quinns has been about the game for years. I'm not going to cancel my preorder... but I probably won't be playing it immediately either. One of the hypothetical players was going to be new to board games, and I don't want this to be his first experience. I'll try introducing him to some other games for a while first, maybe Gloomhaven if the wheels don't fall off there too.

    Much more is known about how Gloomhaven plays so I feel that's still a safe bet. But yeah, that's a downer about Seafall and it's off my want list now. Taking so long to get going will be table death at our house, and I'd be below optimal player count as it is.

    It looks like it plays great, but I'm wary about the scenarios for a couple reasons:

    1) Going by the Kickstarter updates, Isaac grinded out all the narrative text for them over a few weeks. That doesn't suggest finely honed prose. 70 or 80 scenarios sounds good on paper, but they'll get old fast if half of them have no nuance beyond "bad guys are doing bad stuff over there, go kill them!"

    2) Given the huge number of scenarios, and how variable they are (each scales both to # of players and average player level), it's unlikely that any specific scenario past the first couple have been heavily tested. Either they're all so samey that it doesn't matter, or there will potentially be weird difficulty spikes.

    Fry
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I know this sounds stupid, but the fact that it's naval ships and pirates is what killed it for me. That setting does absolutely nothing for me. Again, stupid but just the way it is for me.
    Whoah there pardner, not at all. Setting is a HUGE part of what makes a game appealing.

    However, it is stupid that naval stuff is a turn off. I'm suddenly questioning your wife's judgement.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
    ElvenshaeSageinaRage
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    SUSD are the only board game review site that I find even remotely watchable.

    "Watchable" shouldn't equal default pre-order cancel tho.

  • RendRend Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm really surprised so many people put so much stock into one reviewer's opinion.

    SUSD are the only board game review site that I find even remotely watchable.

    "Watchable" shouldn't equal default pre-order cancel tho.

    No, but as a result they're the only opinion I'm likely to seek out unless I have reason to need a second one. If I had a pre-order for seafall, now would be such a time. Then I'd likely look at the numerous similar reviews from other sites and decide that their opinion was a close to universal one. At least, that is what I've heard from friends who have looked into it.

    For me it means I don't build any hype and pre-order or buy it, since I didn't have that going for me already.

  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I know this sounds stupid, but the fact that it's naval ships and pirates is what killed it for me. That setting does absolutely nothing for me. Again, stupid but just the way it is for me.
    Whoah there pardner, not at all. Setting is a HUGE part of what makes a game appealing.

    Really, from what I've seen of the game, it sounds much more generic euro-sails themed. If it was much more heavily (and apparently) pirate themed it might have been really cool for the game (name yer pirate captain, teach your crew shanties to raise spirits while sailing...wait, I think I just want Assassin's Creed: Black Flag: Legacy!).

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    Fry
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Brody wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I know this sounds stupid, but the fact that it's naval ships and pirates is what killed it for me. That setting does absolutely nothing for me. Again, stupid but just the way it is for me.
    Whoah there pardner, not at all. Setting is a HUGE part of what makes a game appealing.

    However, it is stupid that naval stuff is a turn off. I'm suddenly questioning your wife's judgement.

    I just really don't like old pirate naval stuff, although I did like the first PotC movie. To each their own though I guess. Yet Captain Sonar looks amazing. :)

    MNC Dover on
    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    CSI sale, wavered on The Gallerist. Then decided I'd rather get a couple other games I'm more interested in than a new game I'm unsure I (or my wife) would enjoy. So now I await Roll for the Galaxy, Splendor (should be good for upcoming vacation with in-laws), Warhammer 40k Conquest base game, and Ascension Dreamscape.
    I was with a buddy at PAX Saturday and we took the time to find the Ascension demo area. I have stayed away from Ascension for a long time because the old art was utter garbage. Glad we tried it, we both really enjoyed it and the art is wayyyyy better now. One of the game vendor booths had a lot of Ascension for 50% off, so he bought a copy of War of Dawn (which we later cracked open for a game over at Card Kingdom after dinner). And now here I am ordering Dreamscape. I'm hopeful they're going to be expanding one or both of them with a small box for some new cards.

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! Registered User regular
    I'm surprised that there isn't much talk of Thornwatch going on in here, given that it's been posted on the front page of the site and all. The price seems rather high to me for a game that's all printed tokens. I'll have to read the rules before coming to a decision on the game itself, though, as the concept of a "Judge" role who doesn't appear to actually play as much as arbitrate what the other players do does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

    GNU Terry Pratchett
    3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324 | PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Fry wrote: »
    ShadowRun: Crossfire is a game I really want to try, but am nervous enough about that I can't make myself just buy it outright.

    My game store started a thing recently where they buy used games from people, check that the components are all in order, then resell the games as "certified pre-owned" at half of MSRP. They've had a remarkably good turnover in decent games. And it's a good excuse to unclutter my closet.

    Shadowrun crossfire has a lot of great thing going for it. You have to love coop/deck building games that are hard. Loving the theme also helps. What makes this different than other deck building is an almost legacy like taste where you permanently right your name on a character sheet and your character earns karma (experience) than you can spend to buy abilities which are stickers you put on your character. So there is this sense of progression between different games that makes it feel like you have progressions and all games are sort of connected togheter (when it fact, it's not).

    They also came out with an expansion which add dual-class characters and a few neat card on the black market to help since the game is pretty hard because of how signing these crossfire cards are.

    I like it, and I don't play it often enough if you ask me.

    Guibs on
    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    ChiselphaneDirtmuncher
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I have a hard time watching Shut Up and Sit Down anymore, and their text reviews are basically completely unreadable. Their humour is just a constant assault with the same shtick, which is trailing off into uptalk half-questions and absurd non-sequiturs, which comes off as an attempt to be... reluctantly zany. It's too much of the same thing.

    Their actual comments and analysis are great, and there are moments of great humour, but oh my god those text reviews. It's like ADHD children yelling in-jokes at each other. Unbearable.

    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I fucking hate you Canadians.
    Epimer
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there isn't much talk of Thornwatch going on in here, given that it's been posted on the front page of the site and all. The price seems rather high to me for a game that's all printed tokens. I'll have to read the rules before coming to a decision on the game itself, though, as the concept of a "Judge" role who doesn't appear to actually play as much as arbitrate what the other players do does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

    I checked out the Kickstarter when it first showed up, but didn't find it very appealing. I've never been a fan of "1 player vs everyone else" style games, and given the recent trend to eliminate those using apps, I think a lot of people feel the same. Also, for me half the fun of dungeon crawler type games like these is having persistent characters that go through a campaign and get built up over time (again, based on the growing prevalence of legacy and legacy lite games, seems to be a common view), so I'm not drawn to a game that's all one offs and the only character advancement is via gimmicky "knots".

  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    .
    Bursar wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there isn't much talk of Thornwatch going on in here, given that it's been posted on the front page of the site and all. The price seems rather high to me for a game that's all printed tokens. I'll have to read the rules before coming to a decision on the game itself, though, as the concept of a "Judge" role who doesn't appear to actually play as much as arbitrate what the other players do does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

    I saw it at Gen Con and yeah, the 'printer paper'* boards they're using to demo it are not doing the game any favors. Like even in the demo video, they're constantly fiddling with the boards because they won't stay in place They've got to be higher quality for the finished game, right?!? The game itself is really good though, but it's pretty much off my list because none of us are interested in being the Judge.

    *They must be using the print and play version, so that makes sense. But I think if you're at the point where you're doing Gen Con demos on the main floor instead of for example the First Exposure hall then you should have better components.

    Chiselphane on
  • GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    I have a hard time watching Shut Up and Sit Down anymore, and their text reviews are basically completely unreadable. Their humour is just a constant assault with the same shtick, which is trailing off into uptalk half-questions and absurd non-sequiturs, which comes off as an attempt to be... reluctantly zany. It's too much of the same thing.

    Their actual comments and analysis are great, and there are moments of great humour, but oh my god those text reviews. It's like ADHD children yelling in-jokes at each other. Unbearable.

    They do text review?

    Yeah I know they do but I don't even bother with them. I check SUSD basically for their video review, which even if you don't agree, are almost always very entertaining.

    jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    Magic Pink
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Oh man.

    Mighty Boards, the folks who did Posthuman, just launched a new Kickstarter for Vengeance, the game of revenge movies. It looks really great and the playable characters are a scream, one of them is a florist, another is a really old man, another is a reverend.

    I don't even like revenge movies and it looks really great and I adored Posthuman. It's too bad it's going mini heavy tho.

    Magic Pink on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there isn't much talk of Thornwatch going on in here, given that it's been posted on the front page of the site and all. The price seems rather high to me for a game that's all printed tokens. I'll have to read the rules before coming to a decision on the game itself, though, as the concept of a "Judge" role who doesn't appear to actually play as much as arbitrate what the other players do does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

    I like the setting, but I just haven't been drawn into the game. Seems clumsy.

    I know they've been playtesting it a lot at PAX and such for what seems like years, so perhaps it's not so clumsy, but after being a bit disappointed with the Paint the Line card game I'm hesitant to jump into another of their games. And I love the PtL theme and card game idea. So much.

    jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1OSvv7zs.pngSteam:ArcSyn
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I made a horrible mistake on Saturday... was at Miniature Market's store in St Louis on Saturday to pick up an online order, and it would just be rude to visit and not buy something else so I picked up Shadows of Brimstone. First play went over very well, so I decided to look into what expansions and extras are available, and oh dear I am in trouble.
    After playing it at PAX, @Reve Noire and I picked up one of the base sets and an expansion. And six extra playable characters. And a couple boxes of enemies. Oh, and we had to have the gender swapped minis. At which point it would be silly not to get the pack of extra loot...
    $400 later we have quite a bit of miniature building ahead of us.
    The next few releases look really good. Next is going to be Old One infested spaceships (cowboys in space? could never work), and in the fall there is a Kickstarter for a base set with a feudal Japan setting. The miniatures they showed off look great, so I'm stoked for both.

    ChiselphaneUreshiiAkuma
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    .
    Bursar wrote: »
    I'm surprised that there isn't much talk of Thornwatch going on in here, given that it's been posted on the front page of the site and all. The price seems rather high to me for a game that's all printed tokens. I'll have to read the rules before coming to a decision on the game itself, though, as the concept of a "Judge" role who doesn't appear to actually play as much as arbitrate what the other players do does not sound like a lot of fun to me.

    I saw it at Gen Con and yeah, the 'printer paper'* boards they're using to demo it are not doing the game any favors. Like even in the demo video, they're constantly fiddling with the boards because they won't stay in place They've got to be higher quality for the finished game, right?!? The game itself is really good though, but it's pretty much off my list because none of us are interested in being the Judge.

    *They must be using the print and play version, so that makes sense. But I think if you're at the point where you're doing Gen Con demos on the main floor instead of for example the First Exposure hall then you should have better components.

    I got a chance to play it at PAX this year, and I really enjoyed it. I honestly wasn't sure if it went here, or the RP thread, since it definitely has the feel of an RP. As for playing the Judge, I feel like its kind of similar to what the Imperial player in Rebellion sounds like? It's less rules adjudication, and more of an opposition role.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    The reason why I am putting so much stock into SU&SD's Seafall review is that they love legacy games. Pandemic Legacy was their favorite game of last year and maybe of all time?

    In comparison I don't think Risk or Pandemic Legacy have been particularly good. Interesting experiences worth having? Sure. But actually good games? Not personally. I never finished my copy of Risk Legacy and while Pandemic was much better when it was all said and done our group was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

    Now 4x games I love. So a legacy 4x could be great. But for Quinn the guy that loves Legacy games to be that cold on Seafall is a huge red flag to me, the guy who thinks Legacy games thus far have been more novel than good.

  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Also got a chance to play GKR Heavy Hitters, and I'm super excited for this game. Felt sort of like a paired down war game.

    Each player had 1 mech, and a couple of summonable drones, and a deck of cards representing weapons and health at the same time. Damage to the mech removes cards off the top of the library from the game, and when you are out of cards you lose. Mechs have an energy value, used to summon drones, move the mech, and power mech weapons, and it refreshes every round. You can also take damage to over draw energy.

    "The shore does not dream of you." - Blind poet Gallan.
    KetarWolf of Dresden
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    The reason why I am putting so much stock into SU&SD's Seafall review is that they love legacy games. Pandemic Legacy was their favorite game of last year and maybe of all time?

    In comparison I don't think Risk or Pandemic Legacy have been particularly good. Interesting experiences worth having? Sure. But actually good games? Not personally. I never finished my copy of Risk Legacy and while Pandemic was much better when it was all said and done our group was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing.

    Now 4x games I love. So a legacy 4x could be great. But for Quinn the guy that loves Legacy games to be that cold on Seafall is a huge red flag to me, the guy who thinks Legacy games thus far have been more novel than good.

    So they love Legacy games and the ones they loved, you didn't.

    Shouldn't that mean that the Legacy game they didn't like you may actually like a lot more?

    SageinaRage
Sign In or Register to comment.