Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

1246768

Posts

  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    i'll think about trying to scoop up the dlc early gear if I end up spending most of my echoes in the near future and just memorize a video's route when I don't really have anything to lose

    sounds like there's no harm is going all in on the hammer with my resources though if I've been performing well with and like it, which is cool

    Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Pretty much any trick weapon in bloodborne will be viable if you level it up and commit the proper stats to it. I mean yeah, some weapons get more love than others, but if you find one you really like there's absolutely a way to make it put in work without feeling like you're intentionally gimping yourself or such.

  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Even the ones that don't have raw stats behind them tend to have move sets that largely excuse that deficiency, like the Saw weapons or the Stake Driver

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    the boom hammer is definitely runnable

    I think you need to be at least level 50 to not die every 5 minutes in the DLC, and even then, it takes guile to make it past the first part

    the boom hammer profits from arcane as well, but its still fine even with small amounts. 20 Arcane is a really good investment since it unlocks (almost) all the spell items, some of which are useful

    Jasconius on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Even the ones that don't have raw stats behind them tend to have move sets that largely excuse that deficiency, like the Saw weapons or the Stake Driver

    the stake driver sounded way cool apparently short range aside, but i didn't pick it up yet

    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Yeah, most of the boss BS was in the chalice dungeons. Rom isn't so bad because you have plenty of tells for all of his attacks (he's more annoying because of how long it takes if you run it safe).

    One of the several variations of the werewolf-type bosses in the chalice dungeons has a very fast forward slashing attack with its left claw. This attack is much faster than your gun, so that's straight-up not an option, and it's faster than your dodge as well -- if you wait until it lifts its arm to press the dodge button (and no I'm not getting hung up on releasing the button; I always rapid-tap the dodge button) then you will get hit unless you're just at the edge of the attack's range. These are the kinds of attacks that I consider BS; to avoid them you have to position yourself properly before the enemy even chooses to start the attack.

    It is of course possible that I'm getting hung up on video lag (my TV and PS4 are connected through an AV unit). Games like this really need a calibration function like rhythm games have if they're going to demand such extreme reaction times from the player.

    Another big problem I'm having is with the camera. This isn't restricted just to the bosses (chalice dungeons in general have camera issues with all the sharp corners and whatnot), but that's where I have issues most commonly. The teleporting elder boss with the fire spells was particularly egregious, teleporting behind you and firing off rapid crossbow shots in a manner that would cause the camera to swing wildly.

    I know of the old adage with these games of never using lock-on with bosses (Rom in particular is a boss you never use lock-on for), but some bosses like the teleporter are otherwise designed for using lock-on. It's a lot less risky to dodge the crossbow bolts with lock-on, and angled forward dodging will get you in range for a quick attack that's one of the few safe attacks the boss grants you (particularly in the second half). Free running is viable, but only if you're at the proper angle, which isn't something you can tell when the camera spins wildly and you can't locate the boss fast enough due to speed of camera spin (and how quickly he'll start firing the bolts). It comes down to luck, and that's deeply frustrating.

    That's not to say that Souls didn't have its share of cheap bosses (Capra), but for the most part if they went too cheap with a boss you could just cheap right back with ranged attacks or a really good shield. I guess I could go get the Bowblade and adjust my build a bit to do this in Bloodborne? It seems like "ranged" is just much more of a build thing this time around, whereas almost any character in Souls can find some way to get decent dependable ranged attacks.

    It's not faster than your dodge. It's faster than your reaction speed (likely combined with your video lag). I don't believe you, at all, when you say you are pressing the dodge immediately prior to the attack landing on your character and it is not working. It has no startup delay like parry does.

    This is not a statement I will believe no matter how you repeat it. The game mechanics do not work in the way you are claiming they do. No move, even an unseeable one, one too fast for human reaction, will hit a dodge once it has already started. Dodging being interrupted does not happen in Bloodborne. That's not how i frames work. Invincibility frames cause your character to be tagged as invulnerable: temporary god mode. It is not possible for an i frame animation to be interrupted by an attack in the same way turning on god mode means you cannot take damage from an attack. It's how it is coded and there's no point debating this, its a simple fact. You can get hit before the god mode period has started (instantly on depress) and you can get hit after it has ended (recovery period). Those are the only two times you can get hit. When you have ruled out the impossible, whatever left, no matter how improbable, must be the answer. Your dodge isn't getting hit. Move on to other answers.

    In this case, i think its very likely your set up is causing visual lag which is screwing with your reaction speed and causing a visual desynch between what you see and what is happening. I'll grant that this attack is very fast, but its not unseeable with training. I have <1 frame of lag on my monitor and I've dodged this attack before. Not consistently, but I've done it. Completely agree that its unparryable on reflex, but I disagree that parry having a start up is cheap: parry is ridiculously powerful, it'd be mind numbingly dumb and op if it started from 0 frames too.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I've been using Ludwig's Rifle but I kind of hate it. I pretty much only use my firearm for counter-hits but Ludwig's is a little too slow to do that as consistently as I'd like. I think I'll probably just go back to the Hunter's Pistol.

    Is there a "Hunter's Pistol Plus" I should be looking out for if I don't intend to raise my Bloodtinge that high?

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've been using Ludwig's Rifle but I kind of hate it. I pretty much only use my firearm for counter-hits but Ludwig's is a little too slow to do that as consistently as I'd like. I think I'll probably just go back to the Hunter's Pistol.

    Is there a "Hunter's Pistol Plus" I should be looking out for if I don't intend to raise my Bloodtinge that high?

    Nope, if you're not a bloodtinge build, just stick with the Hunter Pistol because it fires the fastest of the firearms available to you

    If you have high Strength, you can also use the Cannon + Bone Ash to dump all your bullets and do some decent damage, but that's about it

  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    I've been using Ludwig's Rifle but I kind of hate it. I pretty much only use my firearm for counter-hits but Ludwig's is a little too slow to do that as consistently as I'd like. I think I'll probably just go back to the Hunter's Pistol.

    Is there a "Hunter's Pistol Plus" I should be looking out for if I don't intend to raise my Bloodtinge that high?

    Guns are the only thing in this game that just doesn't seem to work to me. I just can't see any use for any gun that isn't the pistol. Who cares if the gun does more damage when you'll end up taking damage because the gun doesn't respond or recover as quick. The cannon can do some damage but you have to bend over backwards to maximize its use. I still can't find a use for the gattling gun other than to waste my bullets.

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the guns are fine, the blunderbusses are undersold on their ability to stagger opponents short of just parrying them

    you can stop a pack of beasts dead in their tracks with a blunderbuss shot and then clean them up

  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I use the shotgun because I hate having my pistol shot miss due to enemy positioning weirdness. Seen it whiff way too many times to risk it even if it is faster.

    Also it stuns better than the pistol. Eg a pistol shot on beast possessed soul wont stun him. Blunderbuss will.

    Plus most of the time on a trade you can visceral and get all the health you lost back, so the blunderbuss doesn't really lose out.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the +health on v. attack rune is quietly extremely good

  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    It's pretty good but I don't really bother with it cos I already slot the visceral damage one and I don't want my entire build to be set up around viscerals, since you can't constantly visceral every boss.

    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My first play through I ran +Bullets and +Health on Viscerals

    Makes a few bosses way, way, way easier
    Looking at you, Logarius

  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    If I'm having real trouble with a boss I go back and rejigger my runes tho, so I would probably swap into it if it would help.

    Currently my wall is ludwig with beast claws and no, no I'm not interested in using any other weapon. Or a gun. Or anything but beast claws.
    This is one of those crazy builds I like to do.

    My dude is called beast jesus after all.

    Ever since he got the claws he's become incapable of using any weapon that doesn't have "beast" in the name.

    Just plumb forgot how they work.

    I don't even use torches. I have nothing in my left hand slot. I also don't use the one handed moveset! :D

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    You should have seen what I did to those poor poor witches. They were my first boss after getting the claws.

    I don't.

    I don't think they signed up for this.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Abhorrent Beast's sucker punch is my favourite enemy move in the game - it's one of those moves that feels great to dodge because it means you read the situation and anticipated it, rather than waiting on a tell. I don't think it's BS because it's nowhere near a OHKO; that would be like saying any combo attack you can't dodge out of is BS. I find attacks that hit you while you're down far more aggravating.

    Camera in this game can be p. bad for sure. Also yes, get the bowblade. It's one of the best skill weapons even discounting the bow mode.

    That move would reliably one shot me at 30 vit. Made that fight kinda stressful honestly.

  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    If you say where you are, and ask what you want to know, I'm sure we can distill answers without "spoiling" too much. Thing is, the story is even more inaccessible than Dark Souls, almost stupidly so. I don't think any single person can "get" it without at least a half-dozen playthroughs, including several completions of all the optional Chalice dungeons.

  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Unless you're talking about someone other than
    Lovecraft
    ,

    I've already reached a point where that kind of thing has made itself known.
    Houn wrote: »
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    If you say where you are, and ask what you want to know, I'm sure we can distill answers without "spoiling" too much. Thing is, the story is even more inaccessible than Dark Souls, almost stupidly so. I don't think any single person can "get" it without at least a half-dozen playthroughs, including several completions of all the optional Chalice dungeons.

    Story-wise I've defeated Rom and have only progressed to the lantern immediately after that in the next zone; been enjoying some jolly co-op helping people kill the big spider idiot.

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Unless you're talking about someone other than
    Lovecraft
    ,

    I've already reached a point where that kind of thing has made itself known.
    Houn wrote: »
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    If you say where you are, and ask what you want to know, I'm sure we can distill answers without "spoiling" too much. Thing is, the story is even more inaccessible than Dark Souls, almost stupidly so. I don't think any single person can "get" it without at least a half-dozen playthroughs, including several completions of all the optional Chalice dungeons.

    Story-wise I've defeated Rom and have only progressed to the lantern immediately after that in the next zone; been enjoying some jolly co-op helping people kill the big spider idiot.

    you're really almost done with the game unless you are crazy and choose not to sprint your ass off through Yahar'gul

  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Unless you're talking about someone other than
    Lovecraft
    ,

    I've already reached a point where that kind of thing has made itself known.
    Houn wrote: »
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    If you say where you are, and ask what you want to know, I'm sure we can distill answers without "spoiling" too much. Thing is, the story is even more inaccessible than Dark Souls, almost stupidly so. I don't think any single person can "get" it without at least a half-dozen playthroughs, including several completions of all the optional Chalice dungeons.

    Story-wise I've defeated Rom and have only progressed to the lantern immediately after that in the next zone; been enjoying some jolly co-op helping people kill the big spider idiot.

    you're really almost done with the game unless you are crazy and choose not to sprint your ass off through Yahar'gul

    Oh, really? But there's at least one zone I haven't done yet. It seems like there is more as well, but maybe that's just the chalice stuff I haven't done yet.

    Is there a reason I should sprint my ass through Yahar'gul? I've been taking it pretty slow up to this point.

    GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Unless you're talking about someone other than
    Lovecraft
    ,

    I've already reached a point where that kind of thing has made itself known.
    Houn wrote: »
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    If you say where you are, and ask what you want to know, I'm sure we can distill answers without "spoiling" too much. Thing is, the story is even more inaccessible than Dark Souls, almost stupidly so. I don't think any single person can "get" it without at least a half-dozen playthroughs, including several completions of all the optional Chalice dungeons.

    Story-wise I've defeated Rom and have only progressed to the lantern immediately after that in the next zone; been enjoying some jolly co-op helping people kill the big spider idiot.

    you're really almost done with the game unless you are crazy and choose not to sprint your ass off through Yahar'gul

    Oh, really? But there's at least one zone I haven't done yet. It seems like there is more as well, but maybe that's just the chalice stuff I haven't done yet.

    Is there a reason I should sprint my ass through Yahar'gul? I've been taking it pretty slow up to this point.

    You're not in the know.

  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    One does not just walk through Yahar'gul

  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Unless you're talking about someone other than
    Lovecraft
    ,

    I've already reached a point where that kind of thing has made itself known.
    Houn wrote: »
    It's really hard to not look up spoilers because after the reveal I mentioned from my last boss fight I just want to know what the fuck is going on.

    I might end up spoiling things for myself, which won't stop me from wanting to see it myself; it'll actually entice me even more.

    But I'm trying to keep most of the bosses as a surprise. I know the names of some but not all, and I don't know what any of them do (except for the ones I've already killed). So that means not reading too much.

    But... I wanna know!

    (You're in the know, right?)

    If you say where you are, and ask what you want to know, I'm sure we can distill answers without "spoiling" too much. Thing is, the story is even more inaccessible than Dark Souls, almost stupidly so. I don't think any single person can "get" it without at least a half-dozen playthroughs, including several completions of all the optional Chalice dungeons.

    Story-wise I've defeated Rom and have only progressed to the lantern immediately after that in the next zone; been enjoying some jolly co-op helping people kill the big spider idiot.

    you're really almost done with the game unless you are crazy and choose not to sprint your ass off through Yahar'gul

    Oh, really? But there's at least one zone I haven't done yet. It seems like there is more as well, but maybe that's just the chalice stuff I haven't done yet.

    Is there a reason I should sprint my ass through Yahar'gul? I've been taking it pretty slow up to this point.

    yes. now's a good time to go ahead and do the DLC, any optional area you skipped, and all the chalice content you care to do for two reasons

    1) The only good way to do Yahar'gul is quickly and 20-levels-too-high
    2) You're going to want to strap in for the final stage, because it fucking owns

  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Huh. Interesting. I had no idea I was that close. I guess I will start backtracking through the optional stuff that I know about and maybe farm a few more levels.

    I'm only like level... 55 or so. And only have +6 weapons. Another reason I kinda thought there was a lot more coming because I'm nowhere near the max weapon upgrade level yet. I guess that's where chalice stuff comes in.

    GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    yahar'gul has two distinct halves, and in the second half, chunk drops step up dramatically. you'll easily get to +9 by the end of the game

    it takes a while for chalice dungeons to start yielding chunks

    55 is not a bad level... I think i ended my game at about level 75ish. you're on pace

  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I know you want to know really badly.

    But I seriously, seriously suggest you do not spoil yourself or try to find out prior to finishing for a simple reason.

    The plot has influences from a famous story writer who was basically the genre definer for big compelling mystery that unveils epically and slowly and mind fucks you the entire time.

    You are current playing a game that is a recreation of an experience you can only usually get from one of these stories.

    This not knowing is a unique experience and you should savor it while you can.
    Use that wanting to know to push you onwards, let it drive your motivations. Don't ask, just get back in there and keep on going. Wait until you are done and you've stopped thinking about it before asking.

    Unless you're talking about someone other than
    Lovecraft
    ,

    I've already reached a point where that kind of thing has made itself known.

    So my girlfriend has been going through most of his work. She related her experience to me. This isn't a spoiler for you, just for someone who hasn't gotten past Rom yet.
    So she likes short stories, and lovecraft has a lot of those, so she has been enjoying going through them.
    Yesterday she told me about this one story which was really long, really epic, and she'd just got up the big twist which overturned everything she thought the story had been about so far. And then she had to stop reading cos she ran out of time before she could continue after the big twist. And she was basically describing to me the experience of not knowing what was going to happen next, and really wanting to know. How unexpected the long epic story was since all the others had been short etc.
    Even though she was telling me how strange it was that she'd suddenly hit this really long story and had to stop just after the shocking twist, I got the impression she was enjoying herself anyway. I only ever see her talk that animatedly about something she finds really really interesting.
    The act of going through the story itself, the actual journey of wondering, and not knowing what could happen next, I could tell from her face she was having fun in that moment.

    That's what I was thinking of when I told you to just keep playing. Sieze that moment. Once you know, that moment is gone. Enjoy yourself now buddy. It's a precious feeling that few games can give you, but its one that works so well in an interactive medium.
    Don't be too overly focused on the destination that you forget to enjoy the period of discovery, of actively unveiling the mystery.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    the werewolves in upper cathedral are a good place to farm chunks, also

  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I've been very impressed with the game.

    I've liked all the Souls games I've played, quite a lot. Great atmosphere, great style. I even like a lot of the implied story and lore; there's always something more going on than what's on the surface. Combat is slower than many action games, but way more methodical, visceral and tactile. And Bloodborne is definitely the best of these, giving a real sense of power while still maintaining the danger and vulnerability of every enemy, even the stupid barking crows.

    But... I've never beaten a Souls. I dunno why, I've always just kinda stalled out on a boss or whatever. I can't really say why; usually some distraction or something comes along.

    So the fact that I'm so close to the end of Bb? Kinda cool. Sure there's a lot of the game I haven't explored yet, but just knowing that the end is in sight is kinda neat. Definitely makes me want to push on, but there's more stuff I want to do for sure. And I don't have the DLC so I might grab that as well.

    Heck, might even play it again.

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    So currently on my second character. Fight rom or go visit cainhurst? Or more chalice dungeons...

    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

    Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I've been very impressed with the game.

    I've liked all the Souls games I've played, quite a lot. Great atmosphere, great style. I even like a lot of the implied story and lore; there's always something more going on than what's on the surface. Combat is slower than many action games, but way more methodical, visceral and tactile. And Bloodborne is definitely the best of these, giving a real sense of power while still maintaining the danger and vulnerability of every enemy, even the stupid barking crows.

    But... I've never beaten a Souls. I dunno why, I've always just kinda stalled out on a boss or whatever. I can't really say why; usually some distraction or something comes along.

    So the fact that I'm so close to the end of Bb? Kinda cool. Sure there's a lot of the game I haven't explored yet, but just knowing that the end is in sight is kinda neat. Definitely makes me want to push on, but there's more stuff I want to do for sure. And I don't have the DLC so I might grab that as well.

    Heck, might even play it again.

    bloodborne is a super focused souls game, and that is both to its benefit and detriment

    it misses out on some of the breadth and scope that souls games cover, but for someone like you its narrower precision makes it just better to push through


    at least that's my theory

    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I like games with big scope, so it's not that exactly that's made me stall out. I mean, I've put thousands of hours into Bethesda games and all they really do is

    I think it's a combination of the scope and the fact that the games demand a lot more of your mental and emotional acuity than typical games. Sitting down to these games can be a little stressful; I have to psyche myself up to play them.

    "Ok Jay, you can do. So what if you die a million times and lose hundreds of thousands of souls, it's irrelevant! That's how you progress in these games!"

    But a lot of times I'll just hit a point where it's tougher to summon up that mental energy; it's usually the combination of a tough boss that stalls me out and something else that distracts me.

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    So currently on my second character. Fight rom or go visit cainhurst? Or more chalice dungeons...

    why not kill rom, he's a pushover

  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    @Morninglord what was the title of the story?

  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Does it matter if you clear Charnel Lane or Vicar Amelia first?
    more specially is I go into evening do miss out on anything in Hemwick?

    Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I like games with big scope, so it's not that exactly that's made me stall out. I mean, I've put thousands of hours into Bethesda games and all they really do is

    I think it's a combination of the scope and the fact that the games demand a lot more of your mental and emotional acuity than typical games. Sitting down to these games can be a little stressful; I have to psyche myself up to play them.

    "Ok Jay, you can do. So what if you die a million times and lose hundreds of thousands of souls, it's irrelevant! That's how you progress in these games!"

    But a lot of times I'll just hit a point where it's tougher to summon up that mental energy; it's usually the combination of a tough boss that stalls me out and something else that distracts me.

    Also, that if you want hundreds of thousands of souls it's not hard to get. Ariamis is my favorite spot in Dark Souls for instance - Firestorm or Wrath will clear the phanlanxes out quickly, and the bonfire is really close.

    If you're not running magic (i.e. not min-maxing because lol pyro), a lot of weapons have good sweeping attacks you can use to slice them from the side (I think @Morninglord has a name for this, where the attack comes out past the shield, but I can't remember it. I just remember the Iaito's 2h R2 was really good at them... or maybe it was the Great Scythe's)

    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Went over to Cainhurst since I haven't been over there.

    Encountered my first bloodsucking beast.

    Turned right back around.

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Yeah... you're gonna wanna just ignore them and run. Seriously not worth the effort to stay and fight.

    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
Sign In or Register to comment.