Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    Yeah... you're gonna wanna just ignore them and run. Seriously not worth the effort to stay and fight.

Eh... they're pretty good in echos, but yeah - deal with them as little as possible because fuck them. You can learn to beat them, they're not TOO bad 1v1. But they're so much worse than the rest of the zone.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    i called it dead zone before, but looking it up again, its called dead angle.

basically shields can only block attacks from the front. so you delock and do a dashing attack past the enemy so that your move impacts behind the shield and you end up slightly behind their body. it'll phase through as if the shield wasn't there cos the game considers your angle when determining if it gets blocked, not theirs.

it used to only work in pvp, but in bloodborne it works against rom
    and her spiders
    and npcs with shields
    basically anything that blocks

situational but cool. easy weapon to do it with is ludwig's two handed dash attack.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    So. I just get half health from now on. With nothing I can do about it as far as I can see. On top of the enemies being even harder than the last dungeon.

I die in two hits from every monster in this dungeon. The boss one shots me with any attack.

And this is only the fourth out of the five dungeons.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    cursed cuts your health in half.
    other than that one storyline dungeon, the only other way to have cursed on a chalice is to make a root with cursed.
    the only reason youd want to do that is to get cursed gems, which give the highest damage but have a downside such as increased stamina, or negative health regen, or reduced damage vs beasts, or something like that.
    several of the negative effects (like - damage to kin or beasts) don't affect pvp against hunters, so pvpers would go for them.
    otherwise there's no reason to make them.

once you get through that chalice the next one has normal health.

those bosses are easily among the hardest in the game bar none.

physical damage and healing is reduced to compensate for your reduced health (which is why all the mobs are two shotting you instead of one shotting you). elemental damage does normal damage, which is why those bosses are one shotting you. cos they're elemental. i wore the charred set in there with the old hunter hat.
    i beat the first one
    by hitting her twice with ludwig's one handed then firing my gun to parry her
    repeat

its the next boss that'll likely make you quit chalice dungeons.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Well I have to beat this dungeon in order to unlock the next, which has the last of the story and final trophy.

I can easily kill this first boss...except that he has one attack that is faster than I can react to yet does my entire life.

I also need to use three vials to fill my tiny life bar, which is fucking ridiculous.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    you can stunlock her to death depending on weapon and setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFrjKac6CFI

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    holy shit the stake driver is so awesome

sorry kirkhammer

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    I just won by never getting hit. Perfectborne.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    A foolproof strategy for any boss!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

sorry kirkhammer

STAKU DRIVA

Hahahaha these words are in my phone's dictionary

Best weapon

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Does it matter if you clear Charnel Lane or Vicar Amelia first?
    more specially is I go into evening do miss out on anything in Hemwick?

i dont know the specifics, but I think depending on when you go, those wraith beast things that pop out of the ground are less common/not there at all

in the 2 best friends LP, they weren't having to fight them and I was super jealous, as they were the hardest goddamn thing in that zone

• Options
    Jasconius wrote: »

i dont know the specifics, but I think depending on when you go, those wraith beast things that pop out of the ground are less common/not there at all

in the 2 best friends LP, they weren't having to fight them and I was super jealous, as they were the hardest goddamn thing in that zone
    if you have < 15 insight they don't spawn.

nothing to do with order of bosses.

if you have 0 insight the witches can't summon them in their boss fight. note that this is impossible to achieve your first go, since discovering the bossfight gives you 1 insight.
    your second go tho you can spend it and no mad ones.

• Options
    edited January 2016

sorry kirkhammer

STAKU DRIVA

Best weapon

got brought to some weird place by kidnappers and was able to get some of the new shards to make my hammer +4 before getting the hell out so its kinda on top right now

but man I wanna upgrade that stake driver some more, i only had enough stuff to make it +2

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Okay game, you win. Your stupid dog boss that, again, does all my life with every attack but now covers their entire body in hitboxes every time they move has broken me.

We'll do this your way. You want to give me half health in here?

I'll just come back with max Vitality.

Time to put on a few podcasts and grind pigs for the rest of the night. I have nowhere to be and nothing better to do.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

if you have 0 insight the witches can't summon them in their boss fight. note that this is impossible to achieve your first go, since discovering the bossfight gives you 1 insight.

Wait...that's for NG+, right? I ask because:
    I've been keeping a little surplus of about 11-14 insight on the off-chance that I find some badass looking armor in the insight store, and I don't think I've seen anything resembling a wraith beast that pops out of the ground yet. I also know that the only thing the witches spawned were the skeletal dudes when I fought them.

It may also be that RNG smiled warmly on me when I went through Charnel.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Wait...that's for NG+, right? I ask because:
    I've been keeping a little surplus of about 11-14 insight on the off-chance that I find some badass looking armor in the insight store, and I don't think I've seen anything resembling a wraith beast that pops out of the ground yet. I also know that the only thing the witches spawned were the skeletal dudes when I fought them.

It may also be that RNG smiled warmly on me when I went through Charnel.

ML is talking about
    qjGfMG5.png

which i'm assuming is what you're talking about

everyone using different descriptors based on what parts they focused on when fighting them :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ahh...gotcha. Yeah, during the fight I didn't really see the summoning animation, so I didn't know they popped out of the ground as folks were describing (I was too busy running around looking for the boss). And memory is such a tricky thing! I thought those guys were skeletal...but looking at the image, I guess I was mistaken.
    definitely more wraith-y than Clash of the Titans-style skeletons with shotels

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Is there a summary of lore overlaps between dark souls and bloodbourne anywhere?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Is there a summary of lore overlaps between dark souls and bloodbourne anywhere?

I dont think there are any except for the Holy Moonlight Blade.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Oh, what's that puppy? You're not actually that hard if I come back with another 30 levels in Vitality so half of my now ridiculously large health bar is about what I was normally walking around with before? So that bumping into your leg doesn't almost kill me? So that I can get hit by your low-life no-startup charge and not get one-shotted anymore? Imagine that.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    @Reynolds are you sure this isn't DS2 and you haven't just gone hollow?

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    I'm getting there.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options

sorry kirkhammer

STAKU DRIVA

Best weapon

got brought to some weird place by kidnappers and was able to get some of the new shards to make my hammer +4 before getting the hell out so its kinda on top right now

but man I wanna upgrade that stake driver some more, i only had enough stuff to make it +2

I'm surprised you had so few shards at that point; you should have found a ton of blood stone shards in Old Yharnam.

Note that those kidnappers often drop twin blood stone shards, and there are a few lying around as well in that area.

You can also use insight to buy blood stone shards at the insight shop once you beat a certain boss.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah... you're gonna wanna just ignore them and run. Seriously not worth the effort to stay and fight.

Eh... they're pretty good in echos, but yeah - deal with them as little as possible because fuck them. You can learn to beat them, they're not TOO bad 1v1. But they're so much worse than the rest of the zone.

Especially those three just right on top of each other.

I'm loathe to run past them because I don't know the rest of the zone and o figure I'll just run into something worse.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options

I'm loathe to run past them because I don't know the rest of the zone and o figure I'll just run into something worse.

There is nothing worse than them. They are AT LEAST the second worst non boss enemies in the game.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

There is nothing worse than them. They are AT LEAST the second worst non boss enemies in the game.

Hmm... there's the brains as worse for sure... and... hmm...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    edited January 2016

sorry kirkhammer

STAKU DRIVA

Best weapon

I'm surprised you had so few shards at that point; you should have found a ton of blood stone shards in Old Yharnam.

Note that those kidnappers often drop twin blood stone shards, and there are a few lying around as well in that area.

You can also use insight to buy blood stone shards at the insight shop once you beat a certain boss.

i blew everything else getting hunter axe and hammer to +3, but I was gonna farm old yharnam for some echoes probably so I should find some more as enemy drops in theory?

kidnappers are fuckin scary btw, i was lucky to get what i did wherever they took me because there's 2 in the room with the lantern in that weird prison they brought me to

i know where a couple of them are hanging out though in old yharnam so I'll be sure to try to pick them off while farming for twin shards just in case

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    pixelstixpixelstix comically overworked QA lead Registered User regular
    Too good, this Bloodborne. Picked it up on a lark after Xmas and after getting soundly thrashed (Souls virgin), I'm so glad I stuck with it. Just last night I Kirkhammered the snot out of the Blood-Starved Beast, but I'm having some minor trubs at the second level of the Pthumeru Chalice Dungeon. What's interesting to me is that even though the game has some genuinely frustrating areas, I'm having so much fun smashing my head against the game's magnificently detailed walls.

DB30aOv.png
  • Options
    sidenote is hammer/stake driver a good setup if those are my 2 most enjoyed weapons right now, or should I stick with hammer/axe

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the stakedriver is always useful if you're willing to commit to sneaking up on people for the megahits, and playing the bosses as such that you can get them with it too

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    @Blackbeard7 Like I said before, use what weapons you enjoy. Hunter's Axe is notorious for its R2 charge "spin to win," but you're always going to do better with weapons you like long term. Also, when it comes to fighting kidnappers, be aware that once they take 30% damage or so they're always going to stop and do their scream powerup buff, which gives you ample time to move behind them and get a free full R2 charge into visceral. At that point they'll be dead or near enough that you can finish them as they're getting up off the floor.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Uhhhhhhhhh

these guys are not very difficult

They're extremely robotic, very predictable, have long attack animations and you can stunlock them if you get behind them and whack em in the blood sack. (And anything heavy can just stunlock them)

You guys are overstating their difficulty just a leeeeetle.

Morninglord on
  • Options

Uhhhhhhhhh

They're extremely robotic, very predictable, have long attack animations and you can stunlock them if you get behind them and whack em in the blood sack. (And anything heavy can just stunlock them)

None of the basic enemies are actually difficult - but they can be irritating

Tick ladies are just the worst.

Award for "causing actual physical pain to the player" goes those mi-go looking motherfuckers at Byrgenwerth though, if they get you with their leap and brainfuck you.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Uhhhhhhhhh

Odds are, when you first encounter them, your weapon is going to be a leeeeeetle underpowered, considering that Twin Bloodstones are hard to come by prior to their appearance. Once you learn what they can do, and how to exploit it, it gets better, but until you get up to +6 or whatever, you're basically wailing on them with a Nerf weapon, and a single mistake in execution is probably going to get punished with 80+% of your health bar.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I guess I just ran into them really late. Ludwig stunned them for days.

I just took them out with beast claws too and it weren't that hard either.

I don't really think you are meant to encounter them that early, the castle itself has blood stone chunks all over it. It's practically a treasure trove of the damn things. So you are definitely not meant to be there prior to +6 at least.

It's not exactly an easy place to find. "Odds are" a lot of people don't find it that early.

I dunno, if I'm thinking of the worst enemy to fight, I'm not thinking of a one trick pony enemy with multiple weaknesses (slow, predictable, simple straightforward attacks, can't turn easily). Cos once you've figured them out, them's all she wrote. They're toast.
    There's a lot of enemies in the game with more complex and devious attacks that give me trouble even when I know them.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Uhhhhhhhhh

are you talking about the ones in the DLC

because "long attack animations" and "get behind them" are not phrases i'd associate with cainhurst bloodlickers

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Elendil wrote: »

Uhhhhhhhhh

are you talking about the ones in the DLC

because "long attack animations" and "get behind them" are not phrases i'd associate with cainhurst bloodlickers

What?

They have three attacks and one ranged.
    A leap that is easy to see coming once you know they have it. Dodge behind them. You are now behind them. Hit their blood sack.

A very predictable combo with very long pauses in between. Whack. Pause. Whack. Pause. Whack. The attack animation isn't really that fast, they raise their arm before striking. Dash behind them. The only way this can combo you to death is if you fall asleep in between each attack.

A weird tongue lashy thing. Stay away from them.

A ranged attack they don't do if you are close up to them.

I mean, I've just gone through the DLC on my first character, I'm up to Orphan right now.

Maybe that's skewing things. But nah, they're pretty middle tier enemies. I still think their difficulty is overblown. I died a couple of times to them until I figured them out and then I wiped them all out. Went back through with beast claws and wiped them out again.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Think you're forgetting their donkey kick

You absolutely don't want to be behind them, you want to be on the side of them if anything, dodging forward through their attack toward the side

They've got fairly high stagger resistance as well, and can attack suddenly in the middle of a combo if you get too greedy

EDIT: The ones in the DLC are not the same as the ones in Cainhurst

Maddoc on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Uhhhhhhhhh

None of the basic enemies are actually difficult - but they can be irritating

Tick ladies are just the worst.

Award for "causing actual physical pain to the player" goes those mi-go looking motherfuckers at Byrgenwerth though, if they get you with their leap and brainfuck you.

The brainsuckers in Upper Cathedral are the only enemy in the entire game that got me actually angry