Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    Tip for Logarius - when he plants his sword in the ground, kill it.

Also you're making really good time through the game :D

It helps that I've done nothing but play this game over the entire weekend. It's hella bloody good.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Go back to Cainhurst and you'll be back on the path to figuring out what's up with that mini-Rom.

Remind me what the deal was. I don't even remember a smaller Rom

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    You enter the room and Ebrietes is (praying, kneeling, mourning?) in front of the mini rom / altar. I'm not much of a lore head, so I'll let someone else go more in to detail.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So here's something I'm wondering about
    The Chalices are supposed to lead you to the tombs/resting places of the Great Ones and the ruins of the Pthumerians beneath Yharnam right? So when you encounter versions of Rom and Ebrietas down there, that sort of implies that the ones up in Yharnam are just individuals of like, Great One Races, or similar. That there are a lot more below Yharnam and, theoretically, out in the Cosmos

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Go back to Cainhurst and you'll be back on the path to figuring out what's up with that mini-Rom.

It's the
    Altar of Despair, which you can use to bring Annalise back to life, should she catch a bad one from the player or... oh dang I forget his name. Crazy pointy head knight guy. Alfred.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular

It's the
    Altar of Despair, which you can use to bring Annalise back to life, should she catch a bad one from the player or... oh dang I forget his name. Crazy pointy head knight guy. Alfred.

Which itself seems to be missing a next step...
    ...since resurrecting her does nothing of note, there is nothing else you can do, and there is no reward for it.
    Was really hoping for more with that one.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »

It's the

Which itself seems to be missing a next step...
    ...since resurrecting her does nothing of note, there is nothing else you can do, and there is no reward for it.
    Was really hoping for more with that one.

I think it's more just so that you can
    join the Cainhurst Vilebloods even if she gets murked.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    The Chalices are supposed to lead you to the tombs/resting places of the Great Ones and the ruins of the Pthumerians beneath Yharnam right? So when you encounter versions of Rom and Ebrietas down there, that sort of implies that the ones up in Yharnam are just individuals of like, Great One Races, or similar. That there are a lot more below Yharnam and, theoretically, out in the Cosmos
    Possibly? Ebrietas came out of the chalices originally if you read the descriptions

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Possibly? Ebrietas came out of the chalices originally if you read the descriptions
    It could also be that, being Great Ones and not mortal creatures they exist in multiple places and times at once, that "killing" Rom and Ebrietas in Yharnam during the Hunt doesn't actually kill them it just severs their ties to the physical world or the world of Dreams you find them in.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I was backseat gaming on my missus while she played and she said fine, you show me how to do Gas. She saw me fight Gascoigne and he only landed 1 hit on me because I got sloppy she reluctantly said she was impressed. Parry system breaks this game so much haha.

Still no booty that night though, what do I gotta do? :(

Not get hit once.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    I was backseat gaming on my missus while she played and she said fine, you show me how to do Gas. She saw me fight Gascoigne and he only landed 1 hit on me because I got sloppy she reluctantly said she was impressed. Parry system breaks this game so much haha.

Still no booty that night though, what do I gotta do? :(

Not get hit once.

Beast mode

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I didn't play much yesterday, but I did do some things.

I went back to cainhurst and fought Logarius a decent number of times. I really do not like that boss, it really highlights problems with the game's camera. I also had some instances where he thrust his sword into the peak of a roof and actually ended up spawning the sword itself underneath the terrain somehow so I couldn't hit it. It also was a huge pain parrying this guy because the parry window seems flakey as hell. Not to mention his unparryable spell attacks that explode instantly in melee range. Pair that with seemingly high resistance to all of the damage types I could deal to him as arcane it was a slog of a boss.

I stole his crown though, and followed the tooltip suggestion and put it on and found the hidden area. I met with the lady of cainhurst, joined her covenant, and then promptly told Alfred about her existence. I followed him back to the lady and saw that cutscene. Afterwards I killed Alfred because it seemed like the right thing to do. Not a terribly hard fight, although he hits like a truck; my sword in greatsword mode significantly outranged his... wagon wheel.

I did some more chalice stuff, and cleared the first hintertomb chalice (which I think was easier than the middle pthumeru chalice I got it from).

I also did lecture hall 2nd floor, and I went through the 'outside' area after it and cleared all the way up to the lady in a white dress. At that point I was out of blood vials (thanks frenzy), and found another shortcut elevator so I went back. In the steam chat Karoz told me to stop progressing and go do the dlc, because I'm approaching a point of no turning back, so I think I'll be doing that next.

Edit: I didn't really figure out what was up with the mini-Rom (who wasn't really that mini I don't think). I might need to go back to cainhurst and see if there were any lore notes I missed the first time.

LD50 on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Yeah, you just need to go back to the hidden room. You either didn't click on something or maybe didn't realize what you have. Then go look at the little Rom altar again.

You could beat that boss you got up to, but that does set up the end of the game. I'd probably say to try to beat that boss before you totally finish the DLC and chalices, because otherwise you'll be so overlevelled it might not be difficult at all. No matter what the final boss will probably be too easy after the DLC anyways. Except for one roadblock, the chalices are easier than the DLC as well.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The damage types really are weird with how hidden they are. None of the weapons list anything in their descriptions. You can kind of guess fire, blunt, and thrust. But then I read there's stuff like "serrated" with the saw spear and whatever.

It's a selling point to the fans now but I never did like the Souls' obsession with obfuscation.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »
    The damage types really are weird with how hidden they are. None of the weapons list anything in their descriptions. You can kind of guess fire, blunt, and thrust. But then I read there's stuff like "serrated" with the saw spear and whatever.

It's a selling point to the fans now but I never did like the Souls' obsession with obfuscation.

Yeah, there's some stuff the my Ludwig's Holy Blade clearly is doing some sort of extra damage to (and like, a lot of extra damage), but I have no idea why.

I started the DLC and have fought Ludwig himself, and I stabbed his face in and now I have his sword. I'm using both that and Ludwigs and I'm doing pretty OK. I don't know if the moonlight sword does arcane damage on every hit, or only on the ones that consume bullets. It's a bit hard to tell. The ones that consume bullets hit ridiculously hard though. I also cleared the lower Pthumeru chalice. I don't have the materials to go lower yet.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Moonlight is split damage in both forms, with the transformed mode being.much more heavily weighted to arcane.

You can hit with both the wave and the sword itself at point blank to double dip damage.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    Moonlight is split damage in both forms, with the transformed mode being.much more heavily weighted to arcane.

You can hit with both the wave and the sword itself at point blank to double dip damage.

It's a bit strange. The paper doll stats on the stats page say that the moonlight should do more total damage baseline but there's obviously some other mechanics going on behind the scenes because ludwigs does way more damage per hit, with the exception of the charged trick mode r2/l2, where moonlight gets some serious ridiculous damage. I have both equipped because while right now ludwig's is more reliable for random mook enemies (although moonlight's moveset hits lowlying enemies a bit better), moonlight is aces for things I want to spend bullets on.

It's also nice having both fire and arcane readily at my fingertips.

• Options
    HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    What are your stats?

• Options
    30/20 vit/endurance, 16/12 str/skill, and 65 arcane. the vit end are what was recommended here, and 16/12 is what is the minimum to use ludwig's (and I think also moonlight).

• Options
    I went farther through the DLC and cleared the Research Hall zone. I'm pretty sure I got everything here, but I'm still missing a third brain fluid for Adeline.

I killed the next boss (who's name I can't remember). I imagine that the fight could be fairly difficult, but with an arcane build and a beefy arcane two hander those celestial guys go down in one hit or so with a charged R2, so they spent most of the fight respawning slowly.

I fought Lady Maria also (who I didn't expect to be just one door away; I was not prepared the first time I faced her). The second fight went better. Phase one was basically me knocking her down with augur, slicing her up with moonlight and then auguring her again when I ran out of stamina. Phase 2 was quite a bit dicier as she has a bunch of attacks with poise, and some pretty bullshit dodges that she can use while stunned. In her final phase she just used her giant aoe explosion over and over again, so instead of getting close to her I just A Call Beyond'd her a bunch and that was the end of her story. Maria is one of the better boss fights I think (although I did have camera issues again, pretty much any time she did her jump attack I would lose my lock-on for no reason)

I liked this part of the DLC much more than the first part. I thought the first part was pretty lazy with how much asset reuse was going on and the level design of the area felt significantly worse than the areas it was actually based on. The research hall was much more original (the sound mechanic was pretty great!), and navigating the multiple floors was fun.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    I went farther through the DLC and cleared the Research Hall zone. I'm pretty sure I got everything here, but I'm still missing a third brain fluid for Adeline.

Did she give you the key, and you used it and explored that area? After that make sure you talk to her, exhaust her dialogue, maybe reload the area to see if you can get her to say something different? You should notice something change.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular

I killed the next boss (who's name I can't remember). I imagine that the fight could be fairly difficult, but with an arcane build and a beefy arcane two hander those celestial guys go down in one hit or so with a charged R2, so they spent most of the fight respawning slowly.

I fought Lady Maria also (who I didn't expect to be just one door away; I was not prepared the first time I faced her). The second fight went better. Phase one was basically me knocking her down with augur, slicing her up with moonlight and then auguring her again when I ran out of stamina. Phase 2 was quite a bit dicier as she has a bunch of attacks with poise, and some pretty bullshit dodges that she can use while stunned. In her final phase she just used her giant aoe explosion over and over again, so instead of getting close to her I just A Call Beyond'd her a bunch and that was the end of her story. Maria is one of the better boss fights I think (although I did have camera issues again, pretty much any time she did her jump attack I would lose my lock-on for no reason)

I liked this part of the DLC much more than the first part. I thought the first part was pretty lazy with how much asset reuse was going on and the level design of the area felt significantly worse than the areas it was actually based on. The research hall was much more original (the sound mechanic was pretty great!), and navigating the multiple floors was fun.

Adeline
    If you noticed, smacking those brain heads doesn't kill them. They revive after dying and it's creepy as hell. So once Adeline turns into one of them squishy squashy drip drop heads then smack her for the last brain fluid.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    30/20 vit/endurance, 16/12 str/skill, and 65 arcane. the vit end are what was recommended here, and 16/12 is what is the minimum to use ludwig's (and I think also moonlight).

Okay, you need nourishing or arcane gems for the HMS. With your stats and those gems it should far outperform LHB. The trouble is it's hard to find those gems without diving into the chalices. You should find some nice bolt gems in the area after Maria (radials from the fishmen mages and a waning in one of the last parts before the boss) and a decent fire gem and flat arcane gem. You can stick some elemental gems in the LHB and really amp up it's murdering potential.

Unless you're going to take ARC all the way to 99 at this point I'd get VIT to 50 and END to 25 before adding to anything else.

And if while exploring the fishing hamlet you get tired of dealing with that recurring opponent, head back to the area after Ludwig and see if you can't get through a door you couldn't open before. There might be something there to help ensure you've seen the last of your visitor.

HeraldS on
  • Options
    HeraldS wrote: »

Okay, you need nourishing or arcane gems for the HMS. With your stats and those gems it should far outperform LHB. The trouble is it's hard to find those gems without diving into the chalices. You should find some nice bolt gems in the area after Maria (radials from the fishmen mages and a waning in one of the last parts before the boss) and a decent fire gem and flat arcane gem. You can stick some elemental gems in the LHB and really amp up it's murdering potential.

Unless you're going to take ARC all the way to 99 at this point I'd get VIT to 50 and END to 25 before adding to anything else.

And if while exploring the fishing hamlet you get tired of dealing with that recurring opponent, head back to the area after Ludwig and see if you can't get through a door you couldn't open before. There might be something there to help ensure you've seen the last of your visitor.

Yeah, I have %arcane and nourishing in the HMS, and %fire in LHB. My confusion more comes from the paperdoll stats saying the HMS should be doing more damage with the gems I'm currently using while that's clearly not the case. I'm assuming there's some sort of motion value ala Monster Hunter that changes the damage by swing animation that's causing Ludwigs to outperform it right now. I'm still using both though, because it's a really reliable source of arcane damage.

I might up my endurance, but I don't really feel like I need the extra health yet.

• Options
    The damage difference may have to do with what you're attacking. There are tons of enemies that are weak to fire.

You may not really need the extra health until you get into the chalices a bit more.

In general I highly recommend getting the both Future Press guides for Bloodborne. The base game one was just reprinted and the Old Hunters one is still in print I believe. They are great for further understanding the game and squeezing the most out of your gear. Lot's of beautiful artwork and interviews too.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    So hi Bloodborne thread.

This game is going to be one of the free March games on PS+, which is pretty awesome.

I have never played it, despite being an enormous Souls fan. Mostly because I'm one of THOSE Souls players, the ones that sword-and-board through to the end. (In my defense, I'm trying a pure sorcerer build now and making slow progress.) I've never been a parry person, and this game seems to live and die by parrying, which has been a convenient excuse to pass it up.

But now I'm finally going to dive in, and I'm excited. Any tips for a complete newbie?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    So hi Bloodborne thread.

This game is going to be one of the free March games on PS+, which is pretty awesome.

I have never played it, despite being an enormous Souls fan. Mostly because I'm one of THOSE Souls players, the ones that sword-and-board through to the end. (In my defense, I'm trying a pure sorcerer build now and making slow progress.) I've never been a parry person, and this game seems to live and die by parrying, which has been a convenient excuse to pass it up.

But now I'm finally going to dive in, and I'm excited. Any tips for a complete newbie?

You don't have to live & breath parries to play this game at all. If you're worried about that, go Hunter's Axe and use it's transformed mode (two-handed). Maybe Ludwig's Sword.

Parries make things easier, but they can also be feast/famine if you mess up. Dodging is a perfectly fine way to go.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    Be aggressive! Often the answer is to dodge toward or through and attack rather than away. Enemies break and stagger if you stick close to them, and many will punish you for backing off, especially the beasts.

You are fast! Remember than you can just run past most things rather than engaging. This is especially helpful for getting a sense of a new area, grabbing items, and finding shortcuts.

Ask for help! Most areas and bosses have NPC helpers that can be summoned. Really useful for studying a new boss. Just be aware that this makes you vulnerable to invasions (if online).

Also, you can't level up until you have 1 insight. You can get it from an item or finding a boss. I'm ashamed I had to look this up the first time.

Happy hunting!

• Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    So hi Bloodborne thread.

Parrying is useful but far from essential.

Dodging is actually essential.

The moment you get Chalices available, do a Chalice every time you consider grinding for souls/blood vials.

FEAR THE OLD BLOOD

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Also don't grind for souls or blood vials.

Just buy them. Every time you go back to the hunter's dream if you don't have enough to level up, buy blood vials. If you level up and have souls left over, buy more blood vials. You'll pretty much never run out if you do that, even if you get stuck on a boss or area later on.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Also don't grind for souls

Just buy them.

.... you sure about that, chief :)

I will say that there are a couple spots in the game where getting souls was SO EASY and in such enormous quantity that I couldn't resist the urge to farm the spot a bit. I think that the game being a challenging game makes it hard to resist that urge on your first run when you discover a combination that lets you become stronger without much risk.

In my case it was
    that backturned mutated pig in mergo's loft which I could score like most of an entire level's worth of souls from by stacking the backstab bonus and bonus soul gems on

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    So hi Bloodborne thread.

The moment you get Chalices available, do a Chalice every time you consider grinding for souls/blood vials.

FEAR THE OLD BLOOD

Conversely, never go into the dungeons. Outside of lore stuff and some weapon upgrades they're aren't necessary. I went through 1 or 2 of them at the beginning and didn't feel like they were all that important.

I basically never parried in the Souls games and parried all the time in BB so you should at least give it some time to decide if you like it or not. But as others have said its not absolutely essential.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I feel a lil bad about digging into this before the DS3 DLC but I've been waiting to play this game for sooooo fucking long.

I'm going in.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I feel a lil bad about digging into this before the DS3 DLC but I've been waiting to play this game for sooooo fucking long.

I'm going in.

The DS3 DLC is not that great IMO.

Let us cleanse these foul streets.

• Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    You can get away without being good at parrying (there are some beast that have such huge windows its hard not to pull off) but being able to dodge through attacks is essential. Lesson #1: if your instinct is to dodge away, you'll likely get hit. Dodging forward through the attacks works so many times, its not even funny.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    McMoogle wrote: »
    l_g wrote: »
    So hi Bloodborne thread.

FEAR THE OLD BLOOD

Conversely, never go into the dungeons. Outside of lore stuff and some weapon upgrades they're aren't necessary. I went through 1 or 2 of them at the beginning and didn't feel like they were all that important.

I basically never parried in the Souls games and parried all the time in BB so you should at least give it some time to decide if you like it or not. But as others have said its not absolutely essential.

The real reason why I recommend doing them is because they contain cool enemies and boss fights you can't find outside the Chalices, and if you ignore them for the whole game and then just jump into them at the very end, you'll go into many of them so overleveled that even if you went in naked with nothing but a level 1 pistol they'd still be too easy.
    Karoz wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I'm going in.

The DS3 DLC is not that great IMO.

Let us cleanse these foul streets.

I think of it this way:
    The DS3 DLC is pretty good, but the Bloodborne DLC is FANTASTIC.

You're in the know, right?

l_g on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I cannot parry for shit.

This first area is a maze. I'm constantly getting turned around. The dogs are the biggest pain in the ass, second only to the big brick smashy dudes who are probably easy to deal with if you can parry, but I can't so, *fart sound*.

I stumbled into a boss fight, a gravekeeper or something, and he was awful and mean and I had to call in some people with a little bell to help me deal with him. At some point, I found a door with a woman asking where she could find a safe space, which I assume is the Hunter's Dream, but I could only tell her "no" because I hadn't yet died and talked to anyone at the Hunter's Dream, and now that I've been, I can't find the door again.

That said, I love the aesthetic and hope to unlock more dapper clothing for my dapper gent.

• Options
    the big brick smashy dudes who are probably easy to deal with if you can parry

The first really important thing about brick dudes is to not get hit by them. That sounds dumb, but early in the game you literally cannot survive some of their attacks, like the rapid flurry of hits.

The second important thing is that you don't need parry to beat anything, but you might not have the juice to kill things without a lot of effort/risk early on. Depending on what weapon you have, you can in fact stunlock them.

Fighting enemies in groups ups the danger tremendously because you might get stunlocked or surrounded and die.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I_g has the right of it, you don't need to parry to win the game. My first play through I don't think I parried more than 5 times total (at least 4 of those were an accident i'm sure).

Parrying if you want to do it takes time to figure out. Most of the time if you shoot while they are actively swinging at you it works, some attacks don't fit that bill though, and some are over fast enough that you can miss them. Don't get too caught up in trying to do something if you are having issues with it. If you want to work through the game without having to worry too much about parries, get Lugwigs sword (after bloodstarved) and just rock it in greatsword mode for the rest of the playthrough. :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    I cannot parry for shit.

This first area is a maze. I'm constantly getting turned around. The dogs are the biggest pain in the ass, second only to the big brick smashy dudes who are probably easy to deal with if you can parry, but I can't so, *fart sound*.

I stumbled into a boss fight, a gravekeeper or something, and he was awful and mean and I had to call in some people with a little bell to help me deal with him. At some point, I found a door with a woman asking where she could find a safe space, which I assume is the Hunter's Dream, but I could only tell her "no" because I hadn't yet died and talked to anyone at the Hunter's Dream, and now that I've been, I can't find the door again.

That said, I love the aesthetic and hope to unlock more dapper clothing for my dapper gent.

I've said before that the difficulty curve was off. The first area and boss are harder than the following ones. Central Yharnum is a much more confusing maze than the Cathedral or Old Yharnum. Father G (the gravekeeper) is harder than the Blood Starved Beast.

The brick guys are easy when you learn the trick. Just slowly walk around until they swing, backing up walking should get you out of the way in time. Then just run up and strong attack them. You should be able to stun lock them to death with strong attacks, at least with the hunter's axe.

Talk to the "safe place" woman after you beat Father G.

MrBody on