[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Is insight good? Is it permanent?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Is insight good? Is it permanent?

It is a currency of sorts. You gain it by seeing bosses, killing bosses, entering certain areas, or by using the insight giving items. You can spend it to summon help from other players or NPCs, and you can spend it at a special insight store that is next to the building at the top of the hill in the hunter's dream (although the store won't open until it has something for you to buy; the inventory expands automatically as you accomplish certain things).

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    It also has effects on the game play that I don't want to spoil, but it's more than just a currency.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Should I be using these items that give me more insight or is it better to save them?

• Options
    On a first play through, I would save them until you need them to buy something, or you need some for co-op. Once the mechanic is a bit more clear on a subsequent runs you can make better decisions with them.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I used them all immediate and just held onto the stacks as I recall.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Which you're free to do...but...
    That can alter the story/world in ways I think are detrimental to a first play through. Letting some cats out of some bags early.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2018
    I worried for a long time that I would run out of insight, since it's used in the shop and consumed for co-op. But my advice after playing through it would be to not worry about it.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Also, you get insight if you co-op with someone else. It is not a limited currency.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Bought this on sale, haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet (The whole Dark Souls thing has sounded too hardcore for me).
    I don't have PS Plus, does that cut off any/all of the online stuff?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Not all, I think you still see other players messengers and blood spots? But you can't co-op or PvP without it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Not all, I think you still see other players messengers and blood spots? But you can't co-op or PvP without it.

No, it's all. I didn't have PS+ when I played and I never saw anything.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

No, it's all. I didn't have PS+ when I played and I never saw anything.

So sad.

Honestly the multiplayer aspect adds a lot to this game, might be worth getting it for a few months as you play through Bloodborne.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Bloodborne is probably the game where it's least essential depending on how attached you are to having the option to do co-op

The invasion scene is pretty dead since you need to go out of your way to open yourself up to them in most areas

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The invasion stuff doesn't appeal to me anyway. It's one of the reasons I've stayed away from these games, along with the extreme difficulty.
    But a friend got really into the Dark Souls games, and I know for a fact I was better than him at games when we were at Uni, so I figure I'll give it a try.

It sounds like the worst thing I'll be missing is the messages. And whatever bloodspots are?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I played like 200 hours of bloodborne in offline mode and never felt like I was missing anything. I wouldn't sweat it.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    The invasion stuff doesn't appeal to me anyway. It's one of the reasons I've stayed away from these games, along with the extreme difficulty.
    But a friend got really into the Dark Souls games, and I know for a fact I was better than him at games when we were at Uni, so I figure I'll give it a try.

It sounds like the worst thing I'll be missing is the messages. And whatever bloodspots are?

Bloodspots just show a short replay of someone dying if you click on them. Just a bit of a warning that something dangerous might be near by.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Part of the reason I prefer to play the Soulsborne games on the PS3/4 is because i don't have PS+ and therefore dont have to worry about invaders (well non-NPC invaders at least) or messages that either lie or spoil things. Without the light/dark system of demon souls i never really found the PvP aspect all that interesting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Well... imo messages are worth it when you see a message telling you to jump down the hole and then you see a bunch of bloodstains all over. Always makes me chuckle when you see a bunch of people walk to their deaths :) May the good blood guide your way :wink: You're in the know, right?

Armoroc on
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    Well... imo messages are worth it when you see a message telling you to jump down the hole and then you see a bunch of bloodstains all over. Always makes me chuckle when you see a bunch of people walk to their deaths :) May the good blood guide your way :wink: You're in the know, right?

the sky and the cosmos are one

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Leaving messages in Bloodborne was a lot of fun. A lot of good poses to accompany morbid little poems about the unknowable.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I really had fun with the notes and co-op.

My biggest pet peeve with this and the Souls series is that they have a great foundation for some truly unique, groundbreaking, and gloriously fun PvP...

...and then piss it all away by walling it off behind asinine limitations. Here's what PvP should be: you can enter a mode that opens you up to all co-op and invasions (human mode in Souls), or you can opt out of both (offline or hollow mode).

That's it. None of this covenant or bell lady nonsense, and no hiding the stuff behind rare consumables or obtuse secrets. How many people would have ever found any of the PvP Dark Souls covenants besides the Forest Hunters without reading a FAQ? The red shard invasions were the most fun, so why were they extremely limited by consumables? Why did they make the most blatantly unbalanced PvP covenant (Forest Hunters) the only accessible one? Why do I have to worry about rare bell lady spawns in Bloodborne in order to get to invasions? Why is my lifebar cut in half as an invader regardless of whether or not the target has cleared all the monsters already and has 2 summons protecting him? Why haven't you ported Metal Wolf Chaos?

Why, From Software?

MrBody on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    If you haven’t learned by now that From Software is sustained by our suffering and madness I don’t know what to say.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I love the invasion stuff in Bloodborne,
    there is something amazing about enemies and areas that open you up to be attacked by other players

I’ve never seen that done before and I’m happy to see titles do more intresting things with multiplayer.

I also like the note leaving mechanic. The environments in Bloodborne are so isolating and difficult that it’s nice to have other players looking out for you. (Or fucking around with you)

I guess I would sum it up this way, I think Bloodborne is a masterpiece and I think all the choices made by the designers, including all PS+ enabled content, are a part of that.

Sure you can enjoy it without it, but I would recommend experiencing the game to the fullest if you are able.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Nothing was more fun in Dark Souls than invading people trying to do the balance beam part of the giant painting room, trolling all day with the dragon bow.

Or lying in wait in the total darkness of the giant tomb.

But the mechanics limited 95% of PvP to the hunter's forest or that one "arena" area in Undead Berg.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    You can get away without being good at parrying (there are some beast that have such huge windows its hard not to pull off) but being able to dodge through attacks is essential. Lesson #1: if your instinct is to dodge away, you'll likely get hit. Dodging forward through the attacks works so many times, its not even funny.

I think 99.9% of the parrying i did in my first runthrough of bloodborn was completely accidental.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Which you're free to do...but...
    That can alter the story/world in ways I think are detrimental to a first play through. Letting some cats out of some bags early.

lol...oh i remember what this did.....such an awesome thing they did with that.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Leaving messages in Bloodborne was a lot of fun. A lot of good poses to accompany morbid little poems about the unknowable.

Or MGS3 memes in front of long ladders.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Old Hunters on sale for more than 50% off. At $8 (PSN standard price), I will bite.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Geez, I was trying to figure out if I actually had the DLC and it's not immediately obvious. I did eventually find that if you want to look at the PSN transaction history, you have to go 5 menus deep in the fucking "Settings" menu...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Found Father Gascoigne tonight (after having finally downed Cleric Beast last night) and got him to around 40% on the first try, I guess that's good?

Now to find a way to unlock the elevators and whatnot so I don't have to fight through the sewers again.

btw, new player to the Bloodborne/Souls games and I wasn't sure I'd like this type of game. All it took was 1 boss kill and I'm in.

nusu on
  • Options
    nusu wrote: »
    Found Father Gascoigne tonight (after having finally downed Cleric Beast last night) and got him to around 40% on the first try, I guess that's good?

Now to find a way to unlock the elevators and whatnot so I don't have to fight through the sewers again.

btw, new player to the Bloodborne/Souls games and I wasn't sure I'd like this type of game. All it took was 1 boss kill and I'm in.

Oh no, so you didn't reach the surprise Father G has? Oh dear oh dear....

Shortest shortcut path to him is taking a left right before the flaming boulder bridge and activating the elevator.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The restart has done me well so far, killed the big fatty at the start second go round. Parrying him wasn't so bad.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

Shortest shortcut path to him is taking a left right before the flaming boulder bridge and activating the elevator.

Thanks for the tip. I found the elevator along the way, but was trying to use the lever to activate it. I guess it opens when you first run into Father G?

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

Thanks for the tip. I found the elevator along the way, but was trying to use the lever to activate it. I guess it opens when you first run into Father G?

Elevators in this game activate when you find the 'far' side and use it once.

The lever doesn't do anything except call the elevator to the current floor. Most likely, when you found the elevator's bottom floor (the entrance facing the bridge with the fireball trap) it was already open and you just didn't notice and tried to throw the lever but it did nothing because the elevator was already there.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Specifically, there's a pressure pad in the middle of elevators to use them.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    There's also a pressure pad in the middle of elevators so that you can run over them and quickly out the doors, sending the elevator up/down to the other side thus lessening the amount of time you have to spend waiting for it when you're running back after dying.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    That Gascoigne is quite a pain, isn't he? I think I need to practice heavy/trick weapon attacks and strategically running some more (and also parrying)

nusu on
  • Options
    That Gascoigne is quite a pain, isn't he? I think I need to practice heavy/trick weapon attacks and strategically running some more.

Some spoilers for the area that might help:
    You can get a music box by talking to a girl through her window (it's a lit window whereas most are dark). Using the music box as an item (bind it to one of your quick use slots) will stun Father G

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’m so glad this game is seeing some new life with the PSN release.

I’ve played and enjoyed every Dark Souls game, but Bloodborne is the first one I really loved.

Everything about it is amazing. I wish I had some time to sit down and play it again.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve