As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I had forgotten about the Return to Yharnam event happening. I think I'm gonna start a fresh character and roll through since I'm waiting for Sea of Thieves to drop. I wanted to play the DLC anyway.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    My favorite part of Bloodborne has got to be The Choir. Finding the key to that optional area, making your way there, and the enemies and bosses inside. Just the icing on the cake for the tonal shift that happens near the end of the game.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I had forgotten about the Return to Yharnam event happening. I think I'm gonna start a fresh character and roll through since I'm waiting for Sea of Thieves to drop. I wanted to play the DLC anyway.

The DLC is super good, but if you go in there under leveled the first zone will be rough.

You should absolutely play it. Some of games best stuff is in the DLC. But don’t go in there before like... SL 60-70

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    nusu wrote: »
    That Gascoigne is quite a pain, isn't he? I think I need to practice heavy/trick weapon attacks and strategically running some more.

Some spoilers for the area that might help:
    You can get a music box by talking to a girl through her window (it's a lit window whereas most are dark). Using the music box as an item (bind it to one of your quick use slots) will stun Father G

Super cheap way to deal with phase 2 (seriously don't click if you don't want to trivialize this fight):
    There is a group of trees at the back of the first level (not up the stairs). Get phase 2 Gascoine to chase you over there and then put the trees between you. His AI will keep trying to attack you through the trees. Extend your weapon and find that right distance between your attacks and him missing you.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That Gascoigne is quite a pain, isn't he? I think I need to practice heavy/trick weapon attacks and strategically running some more.

You can get a music box by talking to a girl through her window (it's a lit window whereas most are dark). Using the music box as an item (bind it to one of your quick use slots) will stun Father G
    But only once, and for a short period of time. It's generally best to wait until he devolves in to a beast then stun him and lay down as much damage as possible while he's stunned. Done correctly he should have 10-15% health left after the stun.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    That Gascoigne is quite a pain, isn't he? I think I need to practice heavy/trick weapon attacks and strategically running some more (and also parrying)

I dunno how much advice you want, so just in case I’ve put the general combat advice in spoilers:
    Father G wants you to be afraid of him. The best way to fight him is to dodge I to the attacks. If you do that, most of his attacks will miss. He’s a boss to teach you and punish you from just running away, with his long tang and bag of tricks. If you roll into him and use your I-frames (invincibility frames) to your advantage, you’ll do fine.

• AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    To this day Bloodborne is still my sole platinum trophy. I should pick up the dlc at some point though I fear I'm going to be very rusty.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »
    That Gascoigne is quite a pain, isn't he? I think I need to practice heavy/trick weapon attacks and strategically running some more (and also parrying)

I dunno how much advice you want, so just in case I’ve put the general combat advice in spoilers:
    Father G wants you to be afraid of him. The best way to fight him is to dodge I to the attacks. If you do that, most of his attacks will miss. He’s a boss to teach you and punish you from just running away, with his long tang and bag of tricks. If you roll into him and use your I-frames (invincibility frames) to your advantage, you’ll do fine.

I am usually pretty aggressive with the regular mobs and bigger guys, but once I get to bosses I get defensive. I have to shake that mentality. Once I got aggressive with Cleric Beast, the fight went mostly well.

• JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular
    never die wrote: »

I am usually pretty aggressive with the regular mobs and bigger guys, but once I get to bosses I get defensive. I have to shake that mentality. Once I got aggressive with Cleric Beast, the fight went mostly well.

This is very much a game that rewards aggression. The first area is big on teaching you that, since a lot of Dark Souls players are used to exploring and playing more carefully.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ok I have a lot of time in this game, and there's still one thing I don't get:

Certain items, mostly coldblood, have a number in parenthesis next to it. What does it mean?

Like I have "Kin Coldblood (10)" and "Kin Coldblood (11)". What's the difference?

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »

Certain items, mostly coldblood, have a number in parenthesis next to it. What does it mean?

Like I have "Kin Coldblood (10)" and "Kin Coldblood (11)". What's the difference?

About 2000 echoes.

Consuming Kin Coldblood (10) gives 8,000 Blood Echoes
    Consuming Kin Coldblood (11) gives 10,000 Blood Echoes
    Consuming Kin Coldblood (12) gives 20,000 Blood Echoes

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

rank of the item. the higher the number, the more blood echoes you'll get from it when you consume it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

But only once, and for a short period of time. It's generally best to wait until he devolves in to a beast then stun him and lay down as much damage as possible while he's stunned. Done correctly he should have 10-15% health left after the stun.

It totally works more than once.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Oh! I should have assumed that... Thank you!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

It totally works more than once.

Specifically, up to three times depending on what phases you use it in.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Gyral wrote: »

Super cheap way to deal with phase 2 (seriously don't click if you don't want to trivialize this fight):
    There is a group of trees at the back of the first level (not up the stairs). Get phase 2 Gascoine to chase you over there and then put the trees between you. His AI will keep trying to attack you through the trees. Extend your weapon and find that right distance between your attacks and him missing you.

Hunter's Axe -> Trick Mode -> Use charged heavy attack to channel your inner attack helichopter.

Huge reach, stun/knockdown on most enemies and several bosses, plus recovers a ton of HP on damage so you will frequently recover much of your health even if you end up trading hits with an enemy. There are several other weapons that end up stronger, but it's a tough weapon to beat for sheer effectiveness.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    My favorite part of Bloodborne has got to be The Choir. Finding the key to that optional area, making your way there, and the enemies and bosses inside. Just the icing on the cake for the tonal shift that happens near the end of the game.

Yeah I agree, I missed it on my first run and found it the second. It is one of my favorite areas in the game. The Orphanage is so creepy.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Klatu wrote: »

About 2000 echoes.

Consuming Kin Coldblood (10) gives 8,000 Blood Echoes
    Consuming Kin Coldblood (11) gives 10,000 Blood Echoes
    Consuming Kin Coldblood (12) gives 20,000 Blood Echoes

I presume it's just an unfinished edge of the game that they were left with rank numbers like that

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »

The gameplay of bloodborne is really fun, but the super creepy vibe and the lore and the art direction and everything is targeted directly at what I'm into and really made it something special. Man its so fucking good once you get a couple areas in and shit starts going places.

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    I have zero idea what the Return event is about and all the articles about it give zero information on what is actually new or different. Anyone here that can explain it?

I believe it just involved people playing new characters and making sure the online is populated

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Man we need a Bloodborne 2.

I am also kind of bummed there was only one expansion for the game, not to mention the lack of PS Pro support.

Feels like a great game playing second fiddle to Dark Souls 3.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Gascoigne down!!!!!!

My keys to the fight:
    1. Dodge forward during trick weapon phase
    2. Music box strategically
    3. Strategically timed Molotov

Let's go to the highlights (contains spoilers if you haven't seen this fight):
    Twitch clip

nusu on
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I believe it just involved people playing new characters and making sure the online is populated

Oh boy?

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Is the Cleric Beast supposed to be super hard or super easy?
    I somehow killed it first try be facefucking it. I'm not very good at these games, and the pair of werewolves gave me a lot more trouble.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I somehow killed it first try be facefucking it. I'm not very good at these games, and the pair of werewolves gave me a lot more trouble.

I think the correct answer is "yes". Cleric beast seems designed to teach people how to bloodborne boss. It has a bunch of attacks that hit pretty big areas, but are slow and don't do all that much damage. That penalises playing defensively and rewards people going after rally regen to recover after the big slow hits. It also has a bunch of big weaknesses to serration and fire (I think most of the starter weapons have serration damage in one of their two modes). You'll do clearly more damage in one mode over the other which will train new players to try different damage types on bosses they're having trouble with. It also has pretty low 'limb break' thresholds, so anyone who beats it should see that mechanic happening (and also another thing rewarding offense).

Magus` wrote: »

Oh boy?

I'm not sure what you were expecting? It's not like they released new game content or something. Having a ton of experienced people online willing to coop seems like a good thing for the ps+ people.

• ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Bloodborne taught me pretty quick to dodge into attacks as opposed to trying to dodge away from attacks a lot of bosses have follow ups that seem tailor designed to lock you into a wam-bam combo if you try to dodge away from them.

Magus` wrote: »

Oh boy?

I'm not sure what you were expecting? It's not like they released new game content or something. Having a ton of experienced people online willing to coop seems like a good thing for the ps+ people.

It's more the way it was presented like an actual unique event. I guess I've just seen similarly named events with new content. My mistake! Also, yes, we need a sequel.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    The soulsbourne community usually rotates through the older games and does a revival month - ie everyone creates new characters and progresses through the game as fast or slow as you want. This means that if you need to summon for a boss, help will often be there (as opposed to when the game is less populated). It also means that when you hit the nightmare frontier and mergo's loft, that you're probably going to be invaded until you find the bell chick.

Last year it was Dark Souls 1 I believe? Game was hectic with low level twink invasions, but a lot of people played it legit.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Klatu wrote: »
    The soulsbourne community usually rotates through the older games and does a revival month - ie everyone creates new characters and progresses through the game as fast or slow as you want. This means that if you need to summon for a boss, help will often be there (as opposed to when the game is less populated). It also means that when you hit the nightmare frontier and mergo's loft, that you're probably going to be invaded until you find the bell chick.

Last year it was Dark Souls 1 I believe? Game was hectic with low level twink invasions, but a lot of people played it legit.
    They do every game, every year. DS1 isn't seeing one just yet since the remaster's due out and it'll have a ton of people replaying anyway.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Wait...I've been living a lie. Quickstep has less i frames than an unlocked Roll? Dammit no wonder I was having so much trouble with father Gascoigne

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular

I died a bunch of times during my first playthrough because I was trying to play it VERY defensively.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Bloodborne taught me pretty quick to dodge into attacks as opposed to trying to dodge away from attacks a lot of bosses have follow ups that seem tailor designed to lock you into a wam-bam combo if you try to dodge away from them.

Gascoigne was the boss that forced me to realize this, but he’s also kind of a bait and switch because his first form is very easy to dodge and parry.

Second form, if you try to play defensive you just get mauled.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Wait...I've been living a lie. Quickstep has less i frames than an unlocked Roll? Dammit no wonder I was having so much trouble with father Gascoigne

Quickstep does more harm than good.

EDIT - Disregard, I'm talking about the Hunter's Bone, not the standard lock-on juke. Jukes are awesome.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Whenever I start a new game I try to see how far I can get without going into the Hunter's Dream. Usually it doesn't last me that far, this time I got the saw spear and beat the Cleric Beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qKCBg00jsM

Gascgoine kicked my ass though, of course. Then I died on the way back to him so i've progressed less than I would have had I just been playing the game normally. Gimmicks!

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Everytime i try and come back to play the game again, then get to Gascgoine.

https://youtu.be/wqPwbsIgZHY

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Blood Starved Beast is down!

The guys with the sacks are kicking my arse, though. I get a good thing going with the rifle spear, pushing them back with heavy attacks, then I make one mistake and I get two-shotted.

Time to investigate the area that's opened up through the Cathedral, I think, and come back to the Gaol when I've leveled up.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Gascoigne was a huge wall for me. It felt great to get past him.

Every boss took me multiple times but Gascoigne was just super tough for me.

Ok, Ludwig as well, who I don’t think I’ve actually beaten solo.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Blood Starved Beast is down!

The guys with the sacks are kicking my arse, though. I get a good thing going with the rifle spear, pushing them back with heavy attacks, then I make one mistake and I get two-shotted.

Time to investigate the area that's opened up through the Cathedral, I think, and come back to the Gaol when I've leveled up.

Bagmen don't mess around. Before they go super saiyan they tend to have pretty easy to parry attacks though.