As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Blood Starved Beast is down!

The guys with the sacks are kicking my arse, though. I get a good thing going with the rifle spear, pushing them back with heavy attacks, then I make one mistake and I get two-shotted.

Time to investigate the area that's opened up through the Cathedral, I think, and come back to the Gaol when I've leveled up.

A tip for the bag ladies:

When they take enough damage they go super saiyan as Qanamil mentioned. That power up of theirs happens very reliably after they have taken enough damage and takes a long time to go off. You can get a visceral attack off on them from behind well before they are finished powering up making the very deadly second half of the fight much shorter.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Blood Starved Beast is down!

The guys with the sacks are kicking my arse, though. I get a good thing going with the rifle spear, pushing them back with heavy attacks, then I make one mistake and I get two-shotted.

Time to investigate the area that's opened up through the Cathedral, I think, and come back to the Gaol when I've leveled up.

A tip for the bag ladies:

When they take enough damage they go super saiyan as Qanamil mentioned. That power up of theirs happens very reliably after they have taken enough damage and takes a long time to go off. You can get a visceral attack off on them from behind well before they are finished powering up making the very deadly second half of the fight much shorter.

They're also weak to fire.

And the two in the Hypogean Gaol area can't follow you down the stairs. You can bait them towards you until they get stuck then take them out w/ a long-range attack. It's a great way to farm Twin Blood Shards early on.

The same tactic also works with the werewolves on the bridge in Yharnam. Lure them down the stairs to the house- they can't fit through the door. Kill them at your leisure.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Two poison knives will do it too

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Also bagmen are surprisingly staggerable, even in rage mode. I could even do it with transformed chain whip. If you are using the Hunter's Axe, Kirkhammer, or Ludwig's Holy sword your transformed attacks might hit hard enough to stagger them.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Is staggering the thing where they stop attacking? I was getting reasonable success with the Rifle Spear, just poking them back, but then they start doing jump attacks.

If they're weak to fire I might try the +3 flamethrower weapon as well - I levelled it up in anticipation of the Blood Starved Beat fight but never really got close enough to it to use it effectively.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Yeah, when you hit them and they stop moving for a moment that is staggering them. Different weapons will stagger them for different amounts of time, the Kirkhammer I think is the best for that.

The problem with bag ladies and staggering is that some of their attacks have poise frames where they don't stagger. They are high enough damage that if you let them hit you once after they've transformed you're probably dead, so relying on stagger is very high risk.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Bag Lady?

Nothing lady-like in that aberration!

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I'd love to know the lore reason for why the Snatchers (bagmen) seem to know all these Chinese-styled kung fu arts.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Its their bag, man.

I've left them to their devices and gone hunting for Sometimes Invisible Witch Lady Plus Friend

I almost killed them both first time before getting fucked by a spell

Satsumomo wrote: »
    Bag Lady?

Nothing lady-like in that aberration!

They have feminine wrists and ankles, you know?

Really though,
    Where I grew up "bag lady" was a not very nice term for a homeless woman who carried all her possessions around with her in a giant cloth bag, which is the first think I thought of when I saw one

I've left them to their devices and gone hunting for Sometimes Invisible Witch Lady Plus Friend

Go in there w/ 0 insight and they don't summon mad ones. Can make things a lot easier.

That trivialised the fight - beat them first try with 0 Insight. It took me longer to get through the Executioners to reach their lair.

I’m now rolling with the Saw Spear for up close and personal, and Rifle Spear for long-range pokery, both upgraded to the point where I’m using Twin Blood Stone Shards.

Nice. The Saw Spear is one of the best weapons in the game and the Rifle Spear's charged R2 has amazing range.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I feel a bit lost in the Cathedral area at the moment. There are a couple gates I can't open yet, which means there's a boss or 2 that needs killing soon. I did find Alfred though, so I'm guessing there's some big bad not far from him.

nusu on
  • nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I feel so lost that the forums had me double post.

nusu on
    The gates that you cannot open are opened from their far sides (assuming you're talking about the gates I am thinking of).

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    One of the cathedral gates (take a right outside the lantern room, up the stairs with the huge ball & chain dude patrolling) is unlocked by buying an expensive (10k?) item at the hunter's dream shop.

Alternatively you can kill the Blood Starved Beast in Old Yharnam which unlocks an area to get to the other side of that gate

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Ok guys question. I’m level 104...can I take on the DLCs last boss?

Edit: the previous one (don’t want to spoil it) took me about 8 tries...

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    You definitely can. It's more important that your weapon is fully-upgraded with good gems. The boss is very fast and has a huge moveset which makes it challenging to learn but if you've overcome everything up to that point, you should be fine. Just be mindful of your surroundings as the environment has some debris and uneven level geometry that can trip you up if you're not careful.

DCAarmus on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    So this is my first bloodsouls game - just beat father G and mucked around a bit in old yarham a bit until I got spooked and teleported home. I've been using the axe and mostly leveling strength and the defensive skills. I just got the kirkhammer, is that good too? I mainly like the spin 2 win on the axe.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    I think i used the axe the entire time my first play through. Most weapons are good, its just whether or not you like the move set. Kirkhammer is good to stagger enemies if nothing else.

steam_sig.png
  • DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    I beat the whole game + DLC with the axe. The balance between damage, speed, and reach combo makes it super versatile start to finish. All the weapons are viable, but some will be harder vs. certain enemies than others. The kirkhammer is awesome and can stagger for days but it may be challenging against faster enemies. I don't have as much experience with it as some other weapons, but as long as it's upgraded, it should serve you well, especially if you're leveling strength.

Also, be aware that some weapons that require stats like Arcane and Bloodtinge only really reach their full potential in New Game +, when you can finally make the proper investment in those stats. They're not the easiest to use for new players, though, so the strength weapons should be a safe bet until you get comfortable.

Axe and Kirkhammer are a good combo. The untricked version of the Kirkhammer is quick and has a great thrust R2. I believe it's also considered righteous so you get a boost against enemies like the church giants, gargoyles, etc.

So the secret raven hunter lady in yarnham is hostile to me now because I hit her because I assumed she was a baddie

Is she going to be hostile to me always ?

So the secret raven hunter lady in yarnham is hostile to me now because I hit her because I assumed she was a baddie

Yes, unfortunately. You'll have to wait until NG+ to try her quest again.

Oh well!

Maxed out my axe until I get twin shards. Delving deeper into old yarnham and I found the nice shortcut to bypassing the Gatling gun guy. Nice to give me a sense of progress without a bonfire

Now if I could just beat this poison werewolf...

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    HeraldS wrote: »

Yes, unfortunately. You'll have to wait until NG+ to try her quest again.

Make sure you kill her though, you can still get her sweet armour.

broken image link
    Those three guys are dealt with

I promptly lost all those echoes to an illithid or whatever those brain suckers are

Easy come, easy go. Brainsuckers are weak to fire and thrust fwiw.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • l_gl_g Registered User regular
    yharnam dex club should be renamed "sorry mrs jackson"

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    yharnam dex club should be renamed "sorry mrs jackson"

Only spoilered for gif, no actual spoilers contained within.
    XS5LK.gif

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    I had my first invasion last night

Killed them

*Brush off emote*

• gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    All, this is my first Souls-ish game, too, so quick advice. I'm starting to figure out the combat a bit, albeit punishing. This is a checkpoint game, right? If I have a bunch of blood echoes, how do I save that progress? Is it every time I exit the game in the settings? Does it have to be a visit to a lantern? What saves when?

Also, what should I be saving echoes for? Thanks!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    All, this is my first Souls-ish game, too, so quick advice. I'm starting to figure out the combat a bit, albeit punishing. This is a checkpoint game, right? If I have a bunch of blood echoes, how do I save that progress? Is it every time I exit the game in the settings? Does it have to be a visit to a lantern? What saves when?

Also, what should I be saving echoes for? Thanks!

Bloodborne is ESPECIALLY punishing at the beginning compared to the other Souls games, you should prioritize pushing ahead until you can use those blood echoes (you have to get one Insight before that happens, which means basically seeing a boss). You can't level until you get that Insight point, but you don't have to actually BEAT the boss to get the point and activate leveling up (don't worry about figuring out what is a boss and what isn't, the game will make that pretty clear). Lanterns are your "checkpoints" that you manually use. Blood echoes are currency for raising stats and buying items. The game is basically saving constantly, but you only retain blood echoes you manage to bring to a lantern while still alive; if you die before reaching a lantern, those echoes will stay where you die and you can possibly retrieve them later. It's quite easy to spend a lot of time in Bloodborne taking things much too slowly by trying to kill everything. You can run through loads of stuff, which will save you a ton of time in unlocking an Insight point and start letting you spend echoes.

Bloodborne in general is pretty aggressive compared to the other Souls games. Combat is generally quite fast and there's not really any blocking, but any damage inflicted on you can also be largely recoved IF you manage to damage the enemy back quickly enough.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    In the Souls/Bloodborne games, anything physical stays with you on death.

That means your equipment, weapons, items and anything that goes into an inventory space.

In Bloodborne potions do not replenish automatically, they must be purchased or farmed from enemies.

The main thing that you never get to keep is your Souls/Echoes when in what they call "Soft" currency form. Soft Souls are the raw number on your screen. (Echoes in Bloodborne.) If you die, your running souls that you have found will be dropped and can be recovered if you don't die again. If you die without recovery, they are lost forever.

These games also have items which are called "Hard" currency. These are items that go into your interface, and when you use the item it gives you souls. Hold on to these Hard currency items and only use them when you're at a lantern. If you use them and then run out and die, they can be lost just other Souls/Echoes.

So basically, anything physical you keep, anything not physical (i.e. Souls/Echoes) are dropped on death.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'd say the difficulty is unfairly frontloaded in Bloodborne. The starting area is way more confusing to navigate and the fights (regular and bosses) harder than the two areas after it.

(who the heck honestly figured the music box out on their own?)

MrBody on