As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i would consider going up to +6 on a pistol

with ash it'll be strong enough to pick off the occasional dude you don't want to deal with

Ash?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    i would consider going up to +6 on a pistol

with ash it'll be strong enough to pick off the occasional dude you don't want to deal with

Ash?

Bone marrow ash. It's a consumable item that when used buffs the damage on your next quicksilver bullet shot.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I can't remember how you unlock it in the Hunter's Dream, but I don't really think you start finding Ash until you head to Byrgenwerth.

metaghost wrote: »
    I can't remember how you unlock it in the Hunter's Dream, but I don't really think you start finding Ash until you head to Byrgenwerth.

There's a ton in Hemwick. You can buy it after you find the radiant sword hunter's badge, which you can get after killing BSB.

LD50 wrote: »

There's a ton in Hemwick. You can buy it after you find the radiant sword hunter's badge, which you can get after killing BSB.

Fair enough. That's still after where gaming_librarian is, which is why they haven't found any.

And really, it's very easy to ignore most aspects of gunplay on a first run.

NaphtaliArmorocReynolds
  • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    Ah, ok, that makes sense then; I haven't progressed I guess to receive those items yet. Also, how do you slot gems? I just got one off of a random drop, I think, but it adds +2.5% blunt damage and I can't see that it goes in my saw cleaver?

@gaming_librarian — Upgrading firearms (and by extension, the Blood stat) is really just for specialized builds focused on guns.

As to the Key, that's not required for advancement, it's just a more direct route to the Cathedral Ward. Otherwise you have to take a somewhat roundabout path via a couple other locations.

Hmm, good to know. I may go ahead and purchase, though, as I'm finding that having the shortcuts open thus far has been as vital to playing this game as the gameplay itself, ha. I actually forgot for a good bit of time that somehow I had opened a shortcut to
    the big bridge that leads up past the pig in the sewers toward Father Gascoigne
    , and had been running back through the sewers over and over again to get back to fight said boss again. Yeeeeeah, shortcut elevator helped.

You should have acquired the tool needed to apply gems from a chest right before Oedon Chapel (in the little room you traverse upon killing Father Gascoigne). Once you have that tool, gems are applied back in the Hunter's Dream at your workshop table. Similarly, you may have acquired Runestones (or whatever they're called) and these are also applied at the workshop table, but you'll need a different tool acquired a bit later.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    You should have acquired the tool needed to apply gems from a chest right before Oedon Chapel (in the little room you traverse upon killing Father Gascoigne). Once you have that tool, gems are applied back in the Hunter's Dream at your workshop table. Similarly, you may have acquired Runestones (or whatever they're called) and these are also applied at the workshop table, but you'll need a different tool acquired a bit later.

Also, don't you need a +1 weapon to gain a gem slot?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

Kalnaur wrote: »

I think some weapons have innate slots?

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    All this talk about guns and I’m thinking about spinning up my bloodtinge build again.

I was using the reiterpallasch and Evelyn but I’ll probably pivot over to the chikage.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Ah, ok, that makes sense then; I haven't progressed I guess to receive those items yet. Also, how do you slot gems? I just got one off of a random drop, I think, but it adds +2.5% blunt damage and I can't see that it goes in my saw cleaver?

In addition to what the other people said, there are a few gem 'shapes'. Gems will only fit into a socket with a matching shape. Weapons can have 3 sockets, which get unlocked as you upgrade the weapon.

That blunt damage augment probably won't help your saw cleaver at all, as I don't think it does blunt damage.

Kalnaur
    edited June 2018
    I've still only encountered two bosses (Gascoigne and Cleric), and I'm exploring Old Yharnam and Cathedral Ward, having bought the key item that opens the gate in Cathedral Ward (shortcut?) from the messengers. Should I continue to explore Cathedral in its entirety first, or delve deeper into Old Yharnam first? I got to an altar in Yharnam that gave me ritual blood, but I don't know what to do with it, and I came across the hostile gunner guy there and killed him. I got lost and couldn't find another way to go after that...

gaming_librarian on
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The way to continue in Old Yharnam is behind that altar where you found ritual blood.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »
    The way to continue in Old Yharnam is behind that altar where you found ritual blood.

Hmm, I went through the door past the altar and explored a bit, but got lost and kept circling back somehow. For some reason I'm totally disoriented in Old Yharnam and going in circles. I'll go back in tonight and try to press onward...I must've missed it. Thanks!

Ritual blood is for chalice rituals. Have you noticed the series of tombstones along one side of the hunter's dream that currently don't do anything? Later on you'll get access to 'chalices'. Chalices allow you to use ritual materials to generate procedurally generated dungeons. Each of those tombstones can host one.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Hmm, I went through the door past the altar and explored a bit, but got lost and kept circling back somehow. For some reason I'm totally disoriented in Old Yharnam and going in circles. I'll go back in tonight and try to press onward...I must've missed it. Thanks!

From that altar head outside and take a right. You'll find a ladder that going up that opens a shortcut and a doorway that leads you further on. After climbing the ladder and opening the shortcut, head through the doorway and make some new friends. Once you've dealt with them head up and around to the left.

You'll get a new door made for you that will open a path back to the start of the area. Eventually you'll want to continue on past that door and follow the path until you reach a ruined church guarded by some walking skin flaps. Deal with the skin flaps and you'll get the item you need to pair with the ritual blood to start your journey into the chalice dungeons.

HeraldS on
    gaming_librarian
    While I do see that certain attire sets lean toward specific resistances, am I right in thinking that aesthetic choice is safe enough for a general run through of the game (i.e., not NG+)? I mean, a few do seem to have significant jumps in poison and frenzy resist, so maybe that's worth considering for certain boss types, I don't know. Honestly, I'm having so much fun with the basic hunter set and blunderbuss/saw cleaver combo I don't ever really want to change. :p

Blackbird SR-71C
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    While I do see that certain attire sets lean toward specific resistances, am I right in thinking that aesthetic choice is safe enough for a general run through of the game (i.e., not NG+)? I mean, a few do seem to have significant jumps in poison and frenzy resist, so maybe that's worth considering for certain boss types, I don't know. Honestly, I'm having so much fun with the basic hunter set and blunderbuss/saw cleaver combo I don't ever really want to change. :p

From really perfected the art of fashionborne. Wear what you want, just make sure to have a piece in every gear slot. You don't ever really need to stack a resistance in your gear, and if you feel like you might you are probably going at the fight wrong.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

From really perfected the art of fashionborne. Wear what you want, just make sure to have a piece in every gear slot. You don't ever really need to stack a resistance in your gear, and if you feel like you might you are probably going at the fight wrong.

I concur.

I finally finished Bloodborne the past weekend, then got the platinum trophy and all the DLC trophies as well.

People say that this is the game where fashion is the most important compared to stats, given that damage resistance is near identical on all pieces of clothing, with only elemental resistances varying a bit; And yet as someone who only wanted to use a simple sword in this game I was forced to carry a fugly gravestone on my back the entire game! That's not fashionable at all!

I'm not 100% serious of course, but funnily enough that is my biggest complaint about the game. Well, that and the amount of enemies that continue their attacks as if nothing happened when I just stabbed them in the stomach with all my force.

Oh, and whoever thought
    locking a trophy behind chalice dungeons that basically invalidate every single point you put into vigor

was a good idea... yeah, no. Just no.

Game looks phenomenal though and that was probably THE best DLC I have ever played. Very good stuff, I'm still hoping they consider making a sequel to this one day!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Prepping for Frenzy resist is very helpful in a few specific areas, though.

uyvfOQy.png
    Blackbird SR-71CNaphtaliNogginCromartyMan in the MistsAh_PookGoodKingJayIIInever dieArmoroc
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Prepping for Frenzy resist is very helpful in a few specific areas, though.

Or poison. Or arcane or fire depending on what boss you're fighting. Still, the gist is you can wear whatever and never be at a huge disadvantage as you'd be in Dark Souls 1 or 2 if you compared light clothes with something like Have'ls armor.

steam_sig.png

Ah_Pook
    Is it the kirkhammer you were using? You could have gone for ludwigs if you wanted a regular shortsword also.

Is it the kirkhammer you were using? You could have gone for ludwigs if you wanted a regular shortsword also.

I was going to make a longer rant about having the choice between:

- Gravestone on my back
    - Ridiculous large sheath on my back (Ludwig's)
    - Sword that has a dumb gun attached to it I can't get rid off
    - 2-handed sword that I can barely swing normally, and the only way to swing it normally makes it... glow

I guess this game's whole thing is having surreal, weird weapons, but still. You can get normal guns, anyways, why not one normal sword?

steam_sig.png

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

No, they made a single inexcusable mistake. The doll set has barely any defense over wearing nothing at all.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Elendil
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

I was going to make a longer rant about having the choice between:

- Gravestone on my back
    - Ridiculous large sheath on my back (Ludwig's)
    - Sword that has a dumb gun attached to it I can't get rid off
    - 2-handed sword that I can barely swing normally, and the only way to swing it normally makes it... glow

I guess this game's whole thing is having surreal, weird weapons, but still. You can get normal guns, anyways, why not one normal sword?
    https://youtu.be/Id4XLT7Rj2I

Blackbird SR-71C
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    For clarification - yes I know the doll set is basically all flimsy frippery and such. But it doesn't even have arcane resist or anything. The whole gown ensemble from Dark Souls has shit physical defense but does have fairly good magic resists. Similar for the even more laughable desert sorcerer outfit in 2.

Also, there's generic student clothing, no idea how that has like five times the resists.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    foreign garb with the top hat and doll skirt is top tier fashion but woof, you're gonna pay for it

Rainfall
    foreign garb with the top hat and doll skirt is top tier fashion but woof, you're gonna pay for it

replace doll skirt with knight's pants/skirt

replace doll skirt with knight's pants/skirt
    i'm not a huge fan of the knight skirt tbh

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Picked this up for the first time since I finished it back in...2015? Diving right into where I left off in NG+ has been an experience. Lost whatever echoes I had when I had beaten the game within 10 minutes but its all good. Finding my groove, remembered the timing for visceral attacks and that my +10 ludwig blade has a 2H mode.

Cleric beast is down and slowly working my way around Old/Central Yarnham, not sure if I am going to do a full play-through or if I am just gonna do Old Hunters DLC which I havent seen yet and call it a day.

Quickly remembering how much I use to love this game, and apparently my old messages are still active? Every so often I still get topped off when someone rates one of my messages.

Aretè wrote: »
    Picked this up for the first time since I finished it back in...2015? Diving right into where I left off in NG+ has been an experience. Lost whatever echoes I had when I had beaten the game within 10 minutes but its all good. Finding my groove, remembered the timing for visceral attacks and that my +10 ludwig blade has a 2H mode.

Cleric beast is down and slowly working my way around Old/Central Yarnham, not sure if I am going to do a full play-through or if I am just gonna do Old Hunters DLC which I havent seen yet and call it a day.

Quickly remembering how much I use to love this game, and apparently my old messages are still active? Every so often I still get topped off when someone rates one of my messages.

It is ASTONISHING how active the community for this still is. I kept writing messages the past 2-3 weeks when I played it, and got a rating at least once every half hour.

I also got invaded a few times in one of the areas you can PVP in.

This community is dedicated. It also helps that the game has gone free on PS+ before and gets discounted to 20$ rather often.

steam_sig.png

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    The Chikage is a pretty ordinary sword, but you definitely don't find it early in the game.
    Simon's Bowblade in sword form is a not too bizarre, but again, not something you get super early (but you can get it fairly early!).
    Threaded Cane in cane form is basically a straight sword.

You are right that there isn't much in the way of plain old swords in this game, but part of the game's gimmick is that every weapon is two weapons in one... not that that prevents them from making relatively un-exotic weapons like an axe which transforms by extending its handle and that's it.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ludwig's Holy Blade is two plain ol' swords, it's just one of them is really big.

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Why would you even want a sword when the Whirlygig Saw exists?

broken image link
    Karoz
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Kalnaur wrote: »

First gem slot opens at +1, second at +3 and the third at +6. Also worth noting that any droplet-type gems are considered wildcards in regards to which slot they'll fit into.

One last thing to remember: if you slot a gem that boosts an elemental damage type (fire, bolt, arcane) and the weapon has only physical damage, all of the weapon's damage will convert to that damage type. This can be a good thing, especially if you end up with a good fire damage Whirligig Saw. I also like having a bolt Ludwig's Holy Blade.

Man in the Mists on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Elemental gems also change the weapon to utilize it's arcane scaling

This makes some weapons, like Ludwig's, much better at utilizing those gems, particularly for an arcane build

It also means that for Str/Dex builds, you're generally better off not using elemental gems at all

Maddoc wrote: »

This makes some weapons, like Ludwig's, much better at utilizing those gems, particularly for an arcane build

It also means that for Str/Dex builds, you're generally better off not using elemental gems at all

Str and Dex builds can use elemental gems with hybrid weapons (like the tonitrus). Only pure physical weapons get their damage output shifted to elemental with elemental gems, with the hybrid weapons the gems act as a multiplier to the existing elemental effect. You're better off buffing both damage types with a nourishing gem, however.

Maddoc wrote: »

slight preface to this - arcane scaling on conversion weapons is a bit of a lie. their scale rating (like, ludwig's being "A") is because they're using a combination of the Str/Skill values to generate that number. I'd say a arcane converted saw weapon is way better than ludwigs due to how fast it can attack, despite only having a "C" scaling.

Elendil