As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    yeah. iirc all arcane scaling numbers are some percentage of the total str/skl scaling value which is why your big arcane scaling numbers come from Ludwig's huge B/B or something like the whirligig's S, or Kirkhammer's A. it's why reiterpallasch has an arcane scaling grade despite not actually being able to use it.

the gist is that arcane conversion weapons are functionally pretty similar. weapons that would pull big numbers from physical scaling pull bigger numbers from arcane scaling.

i would 100% recommend sticking with a serrated fire weapon, at the minimum, as that serrated modifier is going to play very well with fire vulnerability. bolt's less important, as kin are generally weak to thrust damage, and you're going to lose that effect on a conversion weapon anyway.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    bolt you can always just stick bolt% gems on the tonitrus and turn it into a fucking nuclear bomb with the transformed mode's arcane modifier (it gets effectively S++ scaling for arcane when transformed). however flat bolt does not get multiplied by the transformed mode sadly, only bolt%

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited June 2018
    as a note, fire is generally better than bolt. a lot of kin enemies are still pretty weak to fire!

as a rule, if it's on fire don't use fire. that's pretty much it.

Elendil on
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Having a bolt righteous weapon is nice for bloodsuckers.

LD50 wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Elemental gems also change the weapon to utilize it's arcane scaling

This makes some weapons, like Ludwig's, much better at utilizing those gems, particularly for an arcane build

It also means that for Str/Dex builds, you're generally better off not using elemental gems at all

Str and Dex builds can use elemental gems with hybrid weapons (like the tonitrus). Only pure physical weapons get their damage output shifted to elemental with elemental gems, with the hybrid weapons the gems act as a multiplier to the existing elemental effect. You're better off buffing both damage types with a nourishing gem, however.
    whether you want nourishing gems depends on the specific weapon.

it's whether or not the weapon has some innate mechanic to amplify the arcane damage. by default, all split arcane weapons heavily favor physical over arcane. the arcane numbers are just too small to benefit from gems, even nourishing.

BUT

when the weapon has an secondary mode or effect that amps up the arcane damage, then you have enough to work with to make running nourishing worthwhile. thar's your moonlight, tonitrus, your boomhauer, and your wheel.

burial blade and blade of mercy? just run physical. that arcame damage is essentially a permanent buff and nothing else.

NaphtaliLD50furlionMaddoc
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Oh, and whoever thought
    locking a trophy behind chalice dungeons that basically invalidate every single point you put into vigor

was a good idea... yeah, no. Just no.

That chalice dungeon just wants to suggest maybe you should have put way more points into vigor is all. That one was really fun I thought. Isn't the fire dog in that one? That boss was probably my favorite one in the game.

Vigor? Is vigor vitality or endurance or am I missing something?

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Oh, and whoever thought
    locking a trophy behind chalice dungeons that basically invalidate every single point you put into vigor

was a good idea... yeah, no. Just no.

That chalice dungeon just wants to suggest maybe you should have put way more points into vigor is all. That one was really fun I thought. Isn't the fire dog in that one? That boss was probably my favorite one in the game.
    Honestly? I don't think you can put enough points into Vigor, even with all +HP runes to survive his one-shot charge attack, which I found incredibly difficult to tell apart from his flame-bar-bite attack, and the startup of his vomit attack.

Funny how different people have trouble with different bosses! The Defiled Watchdog is literally the only boss in the main game AND DLC that I summoned help for. Yet, I saw a lot of people struggling with Defiled Amygdala, who I beat somewhere between my 5th and 10th attempt! Now THAT fight was fun!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Vigor? Is vigor vitality or endurance or am I missing something?

It's called Vitality, I just didn't remember - the stat that increases HP is called Vigor in Dark Souls 2 and 3 at least.

steam_sig.png

edited June 2018
    i was able to survive the charge on my vigor gouge character and it was hilarious

no fucks given

Elendil on
    never die
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I had to stop and grind souls for like three hours so I could double my life bar for the fire dog boss. I was very upset.

But the rest of the game was ridiculously easy after that, since I did all the Chalices at the very end.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I had to stop and grind souls for like three hours so I could double my life bar for the fire dog boss. I was very upset.

But the rest of the game was ridiculously easy after that, since I did all the Chalices at the very end.

That was my mistake as well; Doing the DLC after that point meant I could basically just tank most attacks and heal up instead of learning boss patterns.

Speaking of bosses, my favorite boss in this game is probably either
    Amygdala or Ebrietas

They're both very similar, in that they are very big and have rather slow attacks that you can roll through with correct timing, and that both expose their head to damage during/after certain attacks. I love how cinematic those fights are, and the outlandish boss designs. That makes it all the more satisfying when you reach in for a visceral attack after dealing enough damage - you may be an eldrich god, but I can still make you bleed!

steam_sig.png

Looks like Amazon accidentally leaked Bloodborn 2.

PolaritieCantido
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Looks like Amazon accidentally leaked Bloodborn 2.

Can't let the Canadians get all the good scoops

steam_sig.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sounds fake

BahamutZERO.gif
    furlionCantidoNaphtaliElendilNogginKoopahTroopahTransporterCromartyBlackbird SR-71Cnever dieDizzy D
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Especially since FROM has been working on their Samurai Souls...

CantidoKalnaurnever die
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Picked this up again to give it a serious go, I just made my way down to the Old Yharnam entrance so I’m about where I was when I put it down a few years ago. Is it generally considered better to do Old Yharnam before the Cathedral Ward? Does it matter all that much?

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    I would say to do Old Yharnam

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    That URL tho...

Bloodborne 2: Sunset Overdrive

That'd be an interesting game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    KoopahTroopah
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I tend to get the Key and go to the Witches ASAP, but doing Old Yharnam unlocks the tower and thus the Sword Badge.

• gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I remember Jerry making a comment about why, in his mind, people who enjoy Bloodborne do so "to seize the whip from your tormentor and choke him to death with it" (from their Provisional Resignation comic). As I progress deeper into the game, it's amazing how...exhilarating it is to clear your way through some seriously hellish enemies and terrain, then stop and look back at how far you made it between lanterns and feel like a champ. It's like, after awhile, I really have started to feel like a "hunter" in the game versus the hunted, and in at least some ways have finally turned the tables on the baddies into a supremely satisfying and bloody revenge tour.

gaming_librarian on
    HeraldSKoopahTroopah
    Amazon listings have been wrong before. They also listed Sunset Overdrive 2 which has been confirmed as not being worked on so...

steam_sig.png

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Why would you even want a sword when the Whirlygig Saw exists?

Some swords have guns in them. Others let you stab someone to death with your own blood. And there’s the sword that turns into a big fuckoff hammer!

(Whirlygig saw also amazing).

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    What's a good time to do the Old Hunters DLC? I just grabbed it cause I read somewhere you couldn't do it after you beat the game or something? I've beaten
    Cleric, Gascoigne, BSB, Amelia, and the Witch
    thus far, if that helps.

What's a good time to do the Old Hunters DLC? I just grabbed it cause I read somewhere you couldn't do it after you beat the game or something? I've beaten
    thus far, if that helps.

You can't access it until you
    Touch the thing in the Cathedral after beating Amelia

So technically, you could access it now, but it's pretty hard. I'd say unless you know what you're doing very well you'll want to be lvl 70 or more.

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    thus far, if that helps.

Honestly I'd wait for NG+.

The DLC has some pretty brutal points in it that might cause you to rage quit a bit sooner than the rest of the game.

steam_sig.png
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Old Hunters is definitely intended for later, both in terms of difficulty and narrative, though the precise level is a bit tricky to pin down depending on weapon upgrades and general combat skill. And really, the biggest issue is that the first zone has many "mini-boss" type mobs with absurd health pools, followed by one of the more challenging bosses in the game.

That said, a lot of folks recommend entering ASAP and just doing death runs to try and acquire the gear that's just lying around.

CromartyBlackbird SR-71CMan in the MistsReynoldsFawst
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    McMoogle wrote: »
    thus far, if that helps.

Honestly I'd wait for NG+.

The DLC has some pretty brutal points in it that might cause you to rage quit a bit sooner than the rest of the game.

Don't wait for NG+, it just becomes even more absurdly difficult then. Wait until you're at the end of the game and do it before you kill the final boss, that's where you'll have your best shot at success.

CromartyTamerBill
    Ok, thanks guys. Man, it must be difficult for realz if y'all all agree so quickly on that, heh. I'll just continue until I get to the final boss I suppose...which, actually, how will I know I'm at that point? I mean, the bosses so far have been relatively "do whenever" in most cases.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks guys. Man, it must be difficult for realz if y'all all agree so quickly on that, heh. I'll just continue until I get to the final boss I suppose...which, actually, how will I know I'm at that point? I mean, the bosses so far have been relatively "do whenever" in most cases.

As someone who killed the final boss and got pushed into NG+ without having any idea that it was the final boss at the time... i'm not really sure how to explain it without just saying where it is exactly.
    You fight the final boss in the Hunter's Dream itself, by going through a door that has been locked up until that point.

gaming_librarian
  • DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

As someone who killed the final boss and got pushed into NG+ without having any idea that it was the final boss at the time... i'm not really sure how to explain it without just saying where it is exactly.
    You fight the final boss in the Hunter's Dream itself, by going through a door that has been locked up until that point.

Also there's a big visual indicator that the final boss is available.
    The workshop in the dream will be on fire.

Once you see that it's time to wrap up any optional stuff you were putting off.

gaming_librarianNaphtaliCromartyReynolds
  • ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Old hunters is hard but it's worth poking around the starting area
    For all the DLC Trick weapons scattered around and enough early chunks to get your weapon up to i believe +6

CromartyKalnaurReynoldsFawst
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    The Amygdalan Arm and the Boom Hammer alone are worth the attempts. Whirligig Saw is a bit deeper in but also a great weapon. I've got one gemmed for fire damage and sporting the gold blood gem, and it's tearing apart most of the denizens of the Loran chalice dungeons.

• l_gl_g Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    There are about as many weapons in the Old Hunters as in the entire non-DLC game. Some of them you can't acquire until much later into the Old Hunters, and there's a lot of enemies in the Old Hunters that just flatout have a ton of HP. I think the final parts of the Old Hunters are basically tuned for end-game difficulty, but the sheer quantity of weapons means that always giving a poke as early as you can means you have more opportunities for using the weapons from it inside your initial NG run.

l_g on
    Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
    ReynoldsBlackbird SR-71C
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Made it deep enough into NG+ that I was able to kick off Old Hunters, looking like Whirligig will be my jam, I am currently 42/43 STR/SKL respectively. Once those are both 50, I think I will start putting some points into Arcane as there are a couple DLC weapons that look good that scale off it. Whirligig (lol that name) is gonna be my new jam that I take to +10 for this run through though.

• HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    @gaming_librarian You'll know you're right before the final boss when the Hunter's Dream is on fire. Don't follow the Doll's instructions at that point unless you want to end the game.

As for the DLC, while you can access it after you make it into the Grand Cathedral, I wouldn't recommend checking it out on your first playthrough until you're somewhere around bl90 and you have a +8-9 weapon that's decently gemmed. The first area in particular is a big jump up in difficulty compared to the base game.

Ludwig down, found my whirligig before the fight and upped it to +10 (being able to buy the stone chunk with insight is pretty keen).

Took me 45 minutes or so, adjusting to whirligig attack pattern and then trying to figure out Ludwigs pattern. For something so fuck ugly and big, it hauls ass.

Summoned Henriette for a few attempts but she didnt do too much, was helpful in letting me back off and get a better view of his pattern of attack though. When I finally beat him, it was a summon less and a pretty flawless run, finished him off with a very satisfying visceral attack.

Sitting around 130s for level right now, Str is at 50, SKL to 50 is next and then I dunno, put a few points into HP to bring it up to 40 and then maybe arcane or Bloodtinge so I can try out some different guns.

NogginLD50Karoz
    I need some guidance please. I just started the Chalice dungeons, but I don't understand them entirely. I did the Pthumerhu one that I had gotten the chalice for from
    the BSB I think?
    , and I guess I beat all three levels? The second tombstone in the Dream, if I click on it, has options to run chalice dungeons, but I don't understand the options...do I need to remove the chalice I have from the first tombstone and put it on here to do it? I've been collecting materials I guess to open these? I've seen mention of randomly generated ones versus static ones...is one better than the other? It's not super clear to me...

Beat the living failures last night, took way longer than it should have because I am addicted to the L2 weedwhacking attack of the Whirligig. Once I stopped trying to brute force it and baited out the visceral attacks, it was an easy fight.

Like OG bloodborne, the difficulty of Old Hunters feels very front loaded, granted, I still have the boss after LF, hamlet and final area boss, but damn that research hall? In NG+ that place is free echoes, and lots of them. With the two bonus echos runes and just running up and down the stairs for a couple hours (resetting obviously) nets easy(ish) carefree levels.

But yeah, the first area are proving grounds, you have a lot of hunters + the red eyed saif hunters who hit fast and hard and dont stagger easily, variations of older mobs that can easily 1 or 2 hit you. Its rough, but still fun.

I've never done any Chalice dungeons, I should probably get on that, seems like all the best runes are in there, do they scale to level?

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I need some guidance please. I just started the Chalice dungeons, but I don't understand them entirely. I did the Pthumerhu one that I had gotten the chalice for from
    the BSB I think?
    , and I guess I beat all three levels? The second tombstone in the Dream, if I click on it, has options to run chalice dungeons, but I don't understand the options...do I need to remove the chalice I have from the first tombstone and put it on here to do it? I've been collecting materials I guess to open these? I've seen mention of randomly generated ones versus static ones...is one better than the other? It's not super clear to me...

Just look up a guide and follow it, the specifics are nonsense. Any that you generate will be random, but you can enter seeds to generate specific dungeons with specific loot etc if you want to.