As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    I need some guidance please. I just started the Chalice dungeons, but I don't understand them entirely. I did the Pthumerhu one that I had gotten the chalice for from
    the BSB I think?
    , and I guess I beat all three levels? The second tombstone in the Dream, if I click on it, has options to run chalice dungeons, but I don't understand the options...do I need to remove the chalice I have from the first tombstone and put it on here to do it? I've been collecting materials I guess to open these? I've seen mention of randomly generated ones versus static ones...is one better than the other? It's not super clear to me...

It works like this: Any time you collect a chalice that allows you to create chalice dungeons you keep it permanently. The tombstones are "slots" for your own created dungeons. You've beaten this chalice dungeon, so if you're done fully exploring it you can remove the chalice and either create a new chalice dungeon or the same one again. If you create the same dungeon again it will repopulate with anything you've found in it except for quest items like chalices, weapons etc.

Yes, the ritual materials are purely for creating chalice dungeons.

Static vs random generated dungeons: There's two types of randomly generated dungeon: Normal root chalices and sinister root chalices. These serve only one purpose: Farming blood gems and tier 3 runes. Getting tier 3 runes is easy enough, but not required for anything. Farming blood gems is purely for min-maxing your character, and not needed if you want to see all content the game has to offer or beat it. They only contain bosses and enemies you've already seen, except maybe some mobs that only rarely appear here.

Static dungeons are any chalices that don't have the "root" or "sinister root" tag in their name. They feature the same loadout every time in terms of geography and enemies. If you re-create a chalice you've already beaten, then any unique items like weapons, runes or quest items will be replaced with Madman's Knowledge instead. The only reason to beat them again is to farm blood echoes or ritual materials.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

Cromarty
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I need some guidance please. I just started the Chalice dungeons, but I don't understand them entirely. I did the Pthumerhu one that I had gotten the chalice for from
    the BSB I think?
    , and I guess I beat all three levels? The second tombstone in the Dream, if I click on it, has options to run chalice dungeons, but I don't understand the options...do I need to remove the chalice I have from the first tombstone and put it on here to do it? I've been collecting materials I guess to open these? I've seen mention of randomly generated ones versus static ones...is one better than the other? It's not super clear to me...

Just look up a guide and follow it, the specifics are nonsense. Any that you generate will be random, but you can enter seeds to generate specific dungeons with specific loot etc if you want to.

Nonsense, the only randomly generated dungeons are root dungeons. The rest are fairly straight forward.

steam_sig.png

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Your answer was better than mine. It's been a while. I stick by my "look up a guide and follow it" advice.

Blackbird SR-71CReynolds
    edited July 2018
    Your answer was better than mine. It's been a while. I stick by my "look up a guide and follow it" advice.

Probably the best advice. Even when just following the simple line of continuous "Pthumeru" chalices you WILL at one point be missing ritual materials that you can only possibly get in a different line of chalice dungeons, and that's where you'll need the guide.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Aretè wrote: »
    Beat the living failures last night, took way longer than it should have because I am addicted to the L2 weedwhacking attack of the Whirligig. Once I stopped trying to brute force it and baited out the visceral attacks, it was an easy fight.

Like OG bloodborne, the difficulty of Old Hunters feels very front loaded, granted, I still have the boss after LF, hamlet and final area boss, but damn that research hall? In NG+ that place is free echoes, and lots of them. With the two bonus echos runes and just running up and down the stairs for a couple hours (resetting obviously) nets easy(ish) carefree levels.

But yeah, the first area are proving grounds, you have a lot of hunters + the red eyed saif hunters who hit fast and hard and dont stagger easily, variations of older mobs that can easily 1 or 2 hit you. Its rough, but still fun.

I've never done any Chalice dungeons, I should probably get on that, seems like all the best runes are in there, do they scale to level?

the boss after LF is amazing, easily my favorite

but the hamlet boss was the most challenging, so also the most satisfying victory

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Is there any lore content locked behind root dungeons?

Is there any lore content locked behind root dungeons?

Like I said, the only thing you can find there that you can't find anywhere else are some rare mob enemies. There's an early (2015) player-documented list here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/bloodborne/comments/3q7947/documenting_weirdrare_chalice_dungeon_enemies/

Most of these are things like:
    Bosses that are roaming the chalice dungeon instead of being confined to the boss room
    Enemies that appear in positions they aren't normally in, like upside down on the ceiling
    Minor appearance variations like a missing casket on a cramped casket

In short: No.

steam_sig.png

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You can see enemies you can't see elsewhere, but I don't think you get any unique items/descriptions.

uyvfOQy.png
    Thanks!

Finally getting around to this after picking it up on PS+. My first From game. It’s incredible.

Ah_Pook
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular

Probably the best advice. Even when just following the simple line of continuous "Pthumeru" chalices you WILL at one point be missing ritual materials that you can only possibly get in a different line of chalice dungeons, and that's where you'll need the guide.
    essentially you'll need materials from Ailing Loran and then one of Great Isz or Lower Loran. the former is much easier.

there's also the hintertombs branch, which used to be required for tge short ritual chalice but that got moved into the insight shop and is no longer necessary for anything but a unique-ish boss in lower hintertombs that unlocks an armor set.

Blackbird SR-71C
    i started it another playthrough of this yesterday

did a thorough run, including the first chalice, up through hemwick and fucked up henryk and got Eileen killed

i deleted my save and started completely over

fRAWRst
    I need to do another run of this soon. What's really making me sad is that I'd like to do this build:
    Cainhurst knight, with the kainhurst chainmal armor and Reiterpallasch

Unfortunately, you get the weapons so late into the game (halfway?) that it's not really a run of this build, more like half a run. Unless I do a NG+ run, at which point I'll be overlevelled to the point where much of the challenge is removed.

UNLESS I do a NG+ BL4 run after picking up these weapons, which I probably can't even pull off. Maybe I'll just stick to one of the starting weapons and do a BL4 run instead...

steam_sig.png

i don't feel like cainhurst is that far in? logarius can be the fourth boss if you rush it.

also you can only use the starters/saw spear on bl4 runs. stats are too low to hit requirements for anything else

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I need to do another run of this soon. What's really making me sad is that I'd like to do this build:

Unfortunately, you get the weapons so late into the game (halfway?) that it's not really a run of this build, more like half a run. Unless I do a NG+ run, at which point I'll be overlevelled to the point where much of the challenge is removed.

UNLESS I do a NG+ BL4 run after picking up these weapons, which I probably can't even pull off. Maybe I'll just stick to one of the starting weapons and do a BL4 run instead...
    Rush Gascogine->Buy Emblem->Amelia->Hemwick->Run through Forest, get to Iosefka and get invite->Cainhurst

Can do it with just a +3 weapon or less, or do Hemwick before Amelia

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Naphtali wrote: »

Rush Gascogine->Buy Emblem->Amelia->Hemwick->Run through Forest, get to Iosefka and get invite->Cainhurst

need to do cleric beast to get the emblem

• gaming_librariangaming_librarian Turn your face to the sun... Registered User regular
    the BSB I think?

It works like this: Any time you collect a chalice that allows you to create chalice dungeons you keep it permanently. The tombstones are "slots" for your own created dungeons. You've beaten this chalice dungeon, so if you're done fully exploring it you can remove the chalice and either create a new chalice dungeon or the same one again. If you create the same dungeon again it will repopulate with anything you've found in it except for quest items like chalices, weapons etc.

Yes, the ritual materials are purely for creating chalice dungeons.

Static vs random generated dungeons: There's two types of randomly generated dungeon: Normal root chalices and sinister root chalices. These serve only one purpose: Farming blood gems and tier 3 runes. Getting tier 3 runes is easy enough, but not required for anything. Farming blood gems is purely for min-maxing your character, and not needed if you want to see all content the game has to offer or beat it. They only contain bosses and enemies you've already seen, except maybe some mobs that only rarely appear here.

Static dungeons are any chalices that don't have the "root" or "sinister root" tag in their name. They feature the same loadout every time in terms of geography and enemies. If you re-create a chalice you've already beaten, then any unique items like weapons, runes or quest items will be replaced with Madman's Knowledge instead. The only reason to beat them again is to farm blood echoes or ritual materials.

Thanks for the info. When you say "blood gems", you talking about the actual stones you "enchant" your weapon with, or is that short form for the blood chunks, stones, etc. that you "fortify"/upgrade weapons with? I've seen the terms used differently I feel. Also, on that note, I'm still stuck at +6...where do I even find blood...chunks I think it is? Thanks!

gems are slotted in weapons

chunks only show up in later areas or as depth 4/5 chalice boss rewards

Blackbird SR-71C
    edited July 2018
    Elendil wrote: »
    gems are slotted in weapons

chunks only show up in later areas or as depth 4/5 chalice boss rewards

This. Blood gems add either scaling, flat damage or a percentage increase in damage to your weapon. Gems of higher rarity that give big bonuses can also apply tradeoffs such as higher stamina cost on attacks, less weapon durability, or less damage against certain enemy types. Every weapon that accepts blood gems has, I believe, three slots. These slots can have different "shapes" and only gems of the corresponding shape can be put into a slot.

Blood Stone Shards, Twin Bloodstone Shards, Blood Stone Chunks and Blood Stone Rocks are used to fortify (= level up) your weapon. This increases its damage and potentially damage scaling.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png

LD50
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Also, not all gem slots will be unlocked at the outset. Gem slots will unlock as the weapon is leveled up.

Blackbird SR-71C
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    About the chalice bosses, there is one in particular you need to look out for: The Abhorrent Beast. I know it's found at the bottom of the first Loran chalice and possibly other places. If at all possible, do not fight it alone. Its tough to stagger and its attacks will do a LOT of damage, and it can do combos.

The best way to take it out is to either trade aggro with a cooperator or to have high Arcane and spam Blacksky Eye shots until it goes down.

Naphtali wrote: »

need to do cleric beast to get the emblem

fuck you're right. well either that or do old yharnam, probably can blitz that fast if you know what you're doing/running past shit

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    Thats a wrap on old hunters.

That last boss went from being wtf to, ah ok, once I realized that entire body of water could be used as an area to fight, the camera having room to pan up when he jumps was a game changer. Absolutely wrecked his shit, he was only able to do one of those ridiculous lightning attacks, even then I had all the room in the world since I was on the water.

That was some good ass DLC, really glad I snagged it when it was on sale.

NogginNaphtaliAh_PookKlatuArmoroc
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Hunters, a word of warning:

Do not load up a save from someone who doesn't own the DLC, with a PS Account that owns the DLC, because the save will be forever written with a "DLC activated" flag, and that player will no longer be able to access their save until they buy the DLC as well.

• AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Still got a bit of the bloodborne bug, I had noticed during my playthrough of old hunters, I had picked up some random ass skull and had no idea what it was, found it was it tied to some optional boss.

Laurence can fuck all the way off.

Holy moly, for some reason he was harder for me to beat than Orphan or Maria. After throwing myself uselessly against him for what felt like forever, I took a moment, went back to the dream, redid my gems to maximize dps output of whirligig, mix/match gear for fire resist and laugh at how my stock of potions went from nearly maxed out in storage to sub 300.

Once that was all said and done, I stuck close for all phases, at all times. (which is what I should have been doing from the start, the urge to leap away to heal is just too strong sometimes) Never dropped below half health, soon as I did, I topped off with a potion and stayed dancing around him.

What a goddamn pain in the ass but, in the way that only From games can be and still be fun.

edit

If you are curious about how many attempts it took me, just take a gander at my echoes. I had couple hundred k that I dumped into potions and bolt paper before the fight (my build is pretty set and anything I get at the moment to is to slowly level up arcane), the cleric gave only 124k when he died. The rest came from from me getting about 4-6k echoes from the beasts getting rolled by the flaming boulder, each time I would run back up the stairs to the fight :P

Aretè on
    CromartyNaphtalicj iwakuraNogginKoopahTroopahGoodKingJayIIInever die
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    Yeah Laurence is a bitch and a half. He's got a huge health pool.

He's the only boss I regularly use A Call Beyond on w/ my ARC characters. Simon's Bowblade is nice if you're going BLT. For anything else I usually end up going w/ Threaded Cane in tricked mode. Good range and it's serrated so you get a 20% bonus since he's a beast.

Finally getting around to this after picking it up on PS+. My first From game. It’s incredible.

207 levels and one platinum trophy later, I’m happy to report that this game was just about perfect. Not sure what else I could add that hasn’t already been said. Looking real forward to picking up the Dark Souls Trilogy.

So good!

NaphtaliMcMoogleKarozPhillishereLD50ReynoldsfurlionNogginAh_PookKoopahTroopahnever dieMan in the MistsMr Fuzzbutt
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    So, I'm playing a bit more of this game. Up to Ya'hargul and the Cainhurst Castle.

And I'm liking the game so far, but I cannot defend the resource-grinding part of it; specifically, grinding out blood vials when your storage runs dry. I appreciate the attempt to do something different than what Dark Souls did, but the system of your healing item replenishing when you died/went to the safe place wasn't something that needed fixing. If I run out of vials during my attempts on a boss fight and need to go back to Central Yahrnam or Hemwick to grind out more vials/echoes (respectively), that isn't something that improves the experience. It doesn't feel fun, or like it's something I need to power through by getting better at the game. It's just something that pads out the time and kills the flow (probably making me less ready for the boss fight when I finally get back to it). Filling up the storage box doesn't help the underlying fault, since it doesn't effect the run between waking up and going back to the dream. I like the game, but that is one part of it that I just feel the need to complain about a bit; no part of it is a good time.

...joining someone's game for co-op is a fun time; I've helped people kill bosses 3 times so far.

try spending boss echos on tons of vials. it seems counter intuitive but if you're running dry it usually helps.

Ah_Pookfurlion
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Buy vials with all your souls every time you return to the dream. Every time. If you don't have enough to level just buy vials, never go out with a surplus. You shouldn't have a problem then.

ReynoldsAh_PookPresident Evilfurlion
    edited October 2018
    On second thought, maybe I should put the game away for a while. Just had an infuriatingly close loss to Logarius, which was only close due to some unreproduceably lucky timing with my gun (I parried and visceral'd him 3 times in a row, then threw it away when I got combo'd to death). And now I need to go get more bullets to do the fight again, which means back to Hemwick.

This was all good advice, and I thank you for it. But it's stuff that would have been good to follow outside of the part of the game that is a loop of running to a boss without killing anything, fighting, dying, and respawing. At the moment, I don't have any Echoes from exploring or bosses. It's all deliberate farming until I kill a boss.

Enlong on
    make sure you're using the blood tap to make bullets if you expect to parry

it's almost always better to just burn a vial for five bullets

NaphtaliCromarty
    edited October 2018
    make sure you're using the blood tap to make bullets if you expect to parry

it's almost always better to just burn a vial for five bullets

I ran out of health (not vials, I just straight up died) rather than bullets. But now I have a grand total of 3 in stock.

Enlong on
    as a general resource saver, not as like, fight strategy. blood bullets midcombat can be chancy

Man, I'm sorry. I went and revived a dormant thread just to be angry, and instead of being gracious and taking you guys' good advice, I'm just starting to feel like I should stop for now. So I feel like I wasted your time, and that ain't fair.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Bloodborne is a frustrating game sometimes.

Ah_PookNaphtaliKarozKlatuReynoldsKoopahTroopahCromartyfurlionRainfallcj iwakura
    Enlong wrote: »
    Man, I'm sorry. I went and revived a dormant thread just to be angry, and instead of being gracious and taking you guys' good advice, I'm just starting to feel like I should stop for now. So I feel like I wasted your time, and that ain't fair.

nah man. we've all been where you are now

take a break, come back to it if you want. don't give up, skeleton

KlatuMcMoogleReynoldsKoopahTroopahfurlionQanamilEtiowsacj iwakura
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

A thread isn't dormant that can forever lie, or something like that. :)

There is a very popular farming location in the game where you can rack up Blood Echoes (to buy vials) and where everything you're killing for Blood Echoes will also be dropping bullets. It's been a while so I'm not sure how early it's accessible, but once you CAN get to it, it goes a long way towards smoothing off the rough edges.

Name of area:
    Nightmare Lecture Building

Access instructions:

KlatuQanamil
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

Bloodborne can legit get the blood pressure up.

First time I played the game, I had the same issue with bullets/vials and it annoyed me too. Next time around, dumping all of my money into vials and bullets at any point I could level up resolved that problem completely. And there are a few spots to grind souls or vials that work pretty well; right in the early game, there's a route that involves multiple ogre dudes who almost always drop a vial or two. As much as I like exploring, don't bother trying to find the best routes yourself the first time around; just look them up and you can honestly do all the grinding you need in probably 20-30 minutes, depending on where you are at.

Personally, I enjoyed the game a whole lot more when I stopped bothering with parrying much, which cut down a lot on bullet usage. Ridiculous enemy attack speed coupled with huge hit reach meant the spammy way Bloodborne handles parrying was more annoying than useful for me; even against well-known enemies, it is far too common to fire off a good shot for a successful parry only to have it accomplish nothing because the travel time on the bullet means the enemy hits you anyway and knocks you on your ass, for a hell of a lot more damage than you will deal back in one hit.

And taking a break is probably going to help you play anyway. There is absolutely a point of diminishing returns when spending time trying to learn something like Bloodborne; even when you know exactly what to do, you have to give your brain time to cool off. There's plenty of bosses where simply trying and retrying was a terrible idea compared to just taking a break for a day or two to come back fresh, and a few times I ended up irritated because a boss that was beating my ass handily went down on the second or third try after a break. It's honestly like trying to cram a whole semester of studying into eight hours; you just can't force yourself to really process that info in that timeframe, and Bloodborne has a lot of stuff to learn.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Thanks, guys. I'm feeling better.

A thread isn't dormant that can forever lie, or something like that. :)

There is a very popular farming location in the game where you can rack up Blood Echoes (to buy vials) and where everything you're killing for Blood Echoes will also be dropping bullets. It's been a while so I'm not sure how early it's accessible, but once you CAN get to it, it goes a long way towards smoothing off the rough edges.

Name of area:
    Nightmare Lecture Building

Access instructions:

Yeah, I have that place unlocked. The place it leads to is (aha) a total nightmare, so I'm not sure when I'll be clearing that, but I can totally go to that first place to grab some blood.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Should be noted that that area is outright optional. Play it if you want, but I was pretty frustrated when I made it through that area (it's obnoxious) and the boss fight (also obnoxious due to pain-in-the-ass camera and lock-on stuff), only to find out it doesn't actually progress the game.