As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Enlong wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. I'm feeling better.
    Man, I'm sorry. I went and revived a dormant thread just to be angry, and instead of being gracious and taking you guys' good advice, I'm just starting to feel like I should stop for now. So I feel like I wasted your time, and that ain't fair.

A thread isn't dormant that can forever lie, or something like that. :)

There is a very popular farming location in the game where you can rack up Blood Echoes (to buy vials) and where everything you're killing for Blood Echoes will also be dropping bullets. It's been a while so I'm not sure how early it's accessible, but once you CAN get to it, it goes a long way towards smoothing off the rough edges.

Name of area:
    Nightmare Lecture Building

Access instructions:

Yeah, I have that place unlocked. The place it leads to is (aha) a total nightmare, so I'm not sure when I'll be clearing that, but I can totally go to that first place to grab some blood.

Cool, I didn’t remember when that opened up and was hoping you had access. I used it a ton while I was trying to get my hp up for the end game optional stuff. I’d just buy 20 of the “port to last lantern” item, walk in the first door on the right, murder a bunch of students, loot all of the bullets they dropped and port back to the entry lantern to respawn the zone. You can also run back to the lantern and port to the Hunter’s Dream and back if you don’t want to be burning items, but I found it faster my way.

“You see, your honor, when I posted on an Internet message board about murdering students, I meant in a video game. Yes. Like Doom. Do I at least get to pick my bunk wherever you’re sending me?”

Side note: when you walk through the door at the end of the lecture building, you maaaaay want to go into Offline mode. No reason!

baudattitude on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Having to farm vials was what killed the game for me the first time as well. Gave it a few months and came back, worked out well. Then there was a few bosses that roadblocked me. Fun times. Don't let it frustrate you too much, but don't slam your head in to the wall for the sake of it, take a break if needs be :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I used the "buy vials" advice on my last playthrough and it went a lot smoother than the others. I dunno if this is exactly what other people do, but if I could get 4-5 levels I'd just get 2-3 & vials instead.

And you can conserve ammo by pressing up(?) on the d-pad to convert health into bullets at times where you can rally it back, or when using the "restore hp on viscerals" rune. (blood rapture?)

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I used the "buy vials" advice on my last playthrough and it went a lot smoother than the others. I dunno if this is exactly what other people do, but if I could get 4-5 levels I'd just get 2-3 & vials instead.

And you can conserve ammo by pressing up(?) on the d-pad to convert health into bullets at times where you can rally it back, or when using the "restore hp on viscerals" rune. (blood rapture?)

Blood Rapture.

If I was better at parrying, I'd use that and Clawmark (more visceral damage) all the time.

And yeah, Cainhurst is optional, but I do want to see as much as I can. I also want to try the Logarius Wheel, so it's either that or go and murder Alfred. Which would probably be easier, but now I want to avenge myself against Logarius, haha.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

Blood Rapture.

If I was better at parrying, I'd use that and Clawmark (more visceral damage) all the time.

And yeah, Cainhurst is optional, but I do want to see as much as I can. I also want to try the Logarius Wheel, so it's either that or go and murder Alfred. Which would probably be easier, but now I want to avenge myself against Logarius, haha.

Logarius was the only dude that I had to multi to beat. His setup was just really awful for my build, and after many frustrated and salty runbacks I just said fuck it and killed him with help.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular

You can only access the Wheel from completing that "questline"; killing Alfred just gets... his outfit? maybe. Probably just some Fire Paper.

I assume there's a narrative reason for that, as Alfred may not use the Wheel when you encounter him the first few times. I can't remember what else he might fight with though. So who knows.

edited October 2018
    I might ring a bell also. It's fun to cooperate in any case.

What's the right way to behave when ringing a resonant bell, by the way? I had one embarrassing incident in the forest where I could not find my summoner and eventually shot the silencing blank to end the session. Probably that happened because I rang the bell and then proceeded to wander around the forest, so I was summoned in a weird location. Is it best to just hang out next to a lantern or boss door after ringing the bell?

Enlong on
    I might ring a bell also. It's fun to cooperate in any case.

What's the right way to behave when ringing a resonant bell, by the way? I had one embarrassing incident in the forest where I could not find my summoner and eventually shot the silencing blank to end the session. Probably that happened because I rang the bell and then proceeded to wander around the forest, so I was summoned in a weird location. Is it best to just hang out next to a lantern or boss door after ringing the bell?

I rang the bell right in front of the fog gate for the battle. Seemed like a good place for a boss summon.

Man in the Mists
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    killing alfred does get you the wheel badge as long as you wait until he moves to his location near the plaza

but if you're up to logarius you may as well wait so you can finish the questline

edit: he uses the kirkhammer before that

Elendil on
    edited October 2018
    Got back in. Tried Logarius a few times, eventually summoned a helper, and we took him down in one go; I was very happy to be able to interrupt his big buff and stagger him a few times while he was trying to swing on my partner.

Met the queen, gave Alfred the letter, got a Logarius Wheel. Now there's a weird weapon. But this is kinda turning into a Strength build, so I'm willing to give it a go. I like that it has big wide swings when transformed; that's something I was using the Axe or Ludwig Holy Blade for. Probably gonna resurrect the queen later.

Enlong on
    Qanamil
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Might have to pop this in for a Halloween themed replay. I probably put the least amount of time into this of all the soulsborne games, 48 hours and some change. Still got my platinum plus the dlc trophies but it has been a while

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is there DLC for this game?

• never dienever die Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Yup, it’s called The Old Hunters and continues the Souls tradition (for me anyway) of kind of crappy first area and great middle and end areas, with really good bosses.

furlionReynoldsKoopahTroopah
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Yes, it's called "The Old Hunters"

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

Yup, it’s called The Old Hunters and continues the Souls tradition (for me anyway) of kind of crappy first area and great middle and end areas, with really good bosses.

Eh, the final section of Artorias is the weakest imo, aside from one thing you can do in there.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    never die wrote: »

Eh, the final section of Artorias is the weakest imo, aside from one thing you can do in there.

The Old Hunters starts off as shit, then ultimately becomes amazing, with the only area, and enemy, that terrifies me over and over.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    I'm out of Insight and Madman's Knowledge.

I hate Brainsuckers.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular

I hate Brainsuckers.

They are pretty terrible design even for a from soft game. I don't think I ever really nailed down a consistent way to beat them if they were too far away.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Blackbird SR-71C
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I was so happy that my Arcane run let me murderize Brainsuckers with ease.

Bolt damage against outsiders is the light.

NaphtaliKoopahTroopah
  • HeraldSHeraldS Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

I hate Brainsuckers.

They are pretty terrible design even for a from soft game. I don't think I ever really nailed down a consistent way to beat them if they were too far away.

Fire, thrust, and lighting damage in that order eat them alive. Easy thrust damage any build has access to: Threaded Cane R2 or tricked Saw Spear R2. Approach them and circle around to the left (your left). Sidestep once to draw their attack and then go to town. You can land 2-3 hits before you need to reposition; a properly set-up character should eventually be able to take them out in one pass. Beast Roar will also flatten them if you have enough ARC to use it (I recommend it for almost all builds).

Yeah, that's something I need to ask; how important is Thrust damage for the rest of the game (I'm in Ya'hargul, Upper Catherdral Ward, and Nightmare Frontier)? I've been enjoying my Kirkhammer and Logarius Wheel, but between those two weapons, I have just one thrusting attack (the R2 on the Kirkhammer's sword mode).

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It helps, but it's just extra damage. As long as you're grinding your weapons up as high as you can get them and keeping new gems installed, you should do fine. Assuming you're building to support your chosen weapons, of course.

uyvfOQy.png
    Naphtali
    I am. I like the Kirkhammer a good deal, so I kinda turned into a Strength build. The damage has been very acceptable thus far.

Did you grab the DLC weapons yet? There's at least one you might really enjoy, with that build.

uyvfOQy.png
    Klatu
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    My first playthrough of this game was with the axe, I stuck with it way too long and it made things harder than it needed to be, but still not that hard. Second time I was LHB and that thing is a god damn monster. Would recommend. These days though, saw cleaver or saw spear is all I bother with. I've tried them all out, except Eileens blades, boom hammer and pile driver.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Did you grab the DLC weapons yet? There's at least one you might really enjoy, with that build.

Didn't grab the DLC yet. I suppose I will, and I probably should do so before I hit the actual endgame.

KlatuReynolds
    Yeah, even if you don't want to/can't clear the enemies yet, just run through and grab all the equipment on the ground. More fashion, more options.

uyvfOQy.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    The path to the first shortcut in old hunters is brutal, especially if you are doing it for the first time. I always suggest going in there several levels above the average unless you are really good at these games (I'm not).

But Old Hunters is worth it, and I don't say that about DLC very often. It has some of the very best content in the game.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    NaphtaliAh_PookMcMoogleReynoldsRainfall
    edited October 2018
    Holy shit the Ebriatas fight. That one was hard. Hard enough to make me start up the game just to try it and then quit without progress on one session, but I finally beat her! I swear I could hear my heartbeat in my ears by the end of the fight. Took me too long to realize that the way to beat the laser rain attack was to just keep running at full speed.

And yeah, all I really get from it is a Chalice I'll probably not be using, and the ability to do the Vileblood covenant again, but the feeling of accomplishment was worth it.

Then after that, I joined someone's game to help with the fight. One of the other people he summoned turned out to be a Vileblood, so we fought him until he accidentally stepped on the elevator, haha.

Enlong on
    NaphtaliFawstLD50baudattitudeQanamilKoopahTroopahRainfall
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Okie dokie, so am I crazy or is the lock on camera in this worse than Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2? In particular the Blood-starved Beast keeps breaking lock when I roll to dodge it instead of moving the camera. I’m constantly having to run away so I can get it back in my line of sight, but at least half the time I’m left facing nothing with a raving mad thing god-knows-where and the camera seems really intent on fighting me. It’s not like I can hit something I can’t see, and this hasn’t come up in my DS/DS2 playthroughs.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

Kalnaur wrote: »
    Okie dokie, so am I crazy or is the lock on camera in this worse than Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2? In particular the Blood-starved Beast keeps breaking lock when I roll to dodge it instead of moving the camera. I’m constantly having to run away so I can get it back in my line of sight, but at least half the time I’m left facing nothing with a raving mad thing god-knows-where and the camera seems really intent on fighting me. It’s not like I can hit something I can’t see, and this hasn’t come up in my DS/DS2 playthroughs.

I think it has to do with how some of the monsters move (BSB and is lookalikes in particular). I had similar issues, which were later solved by my spending my time up the monster's asshole on account of my fighting style.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

I think it has to do with how some of the monsters move (BSB and is lookalikes in particular). I had similar issues, which were later solved by my spending my time up the monster's asshole on account of my fighting style.

Yeah, enemies are generally a loooot faster in Bloodborne compared to the first couple of Dark Souls. But I also feel like Bloodborne generally has camera issues; there are multiple bosses where the camera works against you almost as much as it does with you, and a couple where trying to use the lock on is actively a bad idea.

You really have to lean into dodging and dashing more to close distances and get enemies back where you can fight them.

Old Hunters is tough. I made it to Ludwig, and maybe it's because I summoned help, but his ceiling drop one-shotted me. I may need to come back with a higher VIT score.

The Beast Cutter is a neat weapon and a fun ranged/AOE option, but it feels kinda weak at +5. I need to get some more chunks.

LD50 wrote: »

Yeah, enemies are generally a loooot faster in Bloodborne compared to the first couple of Dark Souls. But I also feel like Bloodborne generally has camera issues; there are multiple bosses where the camera works against you almost as much as it does with you, and a couple where trying to use the lock on is actively a bad idea.

You really have to lean into dodging and dashing more to close distances and get enemies back where you can fight them.

The biggest issue, I suppose, isn't needing to dodge (or dash, though I can't quite remember the button input for that), but rather my total inability to hit something I can't see in these games. Or any games, really. At least without taking a hit or two. Basically, without lock-on, I've never been able to move the camera quick enough to get a bead on my target, which I always wiff on at least the first swing if I can't see them.

I sort of feel like they used the same camera for Bloodborne that they used for the other games without figuring out if their lock-on would hold or be constantly broken by the speed of the enemies.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game (at least, I'm not giving up yet), but it does mean that it feels a bit more janky than I'd expect these types of games to be if only because I'm fighting with the camera.

steam_sig.png

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Some of the bosses in Bloodborne are a thousand times harder if you try to use lockon. I'm also worse without it which is why Paarl always sucked to fight.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Lock on has always been a little of a double edged sword in souls games. It’s pretty much hated universally, but at this point I’ve come to think it’s intentional design.

It’s like getting a bad hand in a card game. Sometimes the camera completely screws you, other times it’s bad but you figure out a workaround

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited October 2018
    I honestly can't even beat basic enemies without being locked on to them (unless they happen to walk into my flailing about). Because I'm terrible at games and use it as a crutch, mostly. :wink:

Edit:
    Aistan wrote: »
    Some of the bosses in Bloodborne are a thousand times harder if you try to use lockon. I'm also worse without it which is why Paarl always sucked to fight.

I'm not talking worse. I'm talking unplayable. I honestly can't function without the lock-on mechanics. Now, to be fair that's usually because I'm some battlemage hybrid, which Bloodborne doesn't really seem to do at least in the early game, and there's basically zero chance of hitting without lock-on when casting spells, but I also wiff it if I'm not using the lock.

Now, it could be because my preferred moveset for any weapon in all these games is light = swing in front of you, heavy = slight slide-stab in front of you (like the claymore in Dark Souls, or the Saw Spear in Bloodborne), but whatever it is, I honestly have no sense of the depth or location of the enemies without them more or less centered right in front of me.

Again, because I'm not exactly great at video games.

And yes, I really do think that if a game includes a mechanic and that mechanic is sub-par, that it is 100% a strike against the game, but again, that doesn't mean I'm stopping playing. It just means I have to figure out how to play this with my specific skillset.

Kalnaur on
    steam_sig.png

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    sometimes you just don't use lock-on

i don't think that's like, a strike against the game, it's just how it is. sometimes it's better to not use the lock-on

GoodKingJayIIINaphtaliQanamil
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nah, I definitely hold something like that against the game design. There's no reason at all for the game to allow NPC enemies to break the camera lock when the game is so unforgiving and fast-moving by design. If the lock-on doesn't let the player lock on to the target and reliably target attacks, it's a poor system.

It's fine for much of the game but for the enemies where lock-on is a hindrance, it feels a heck of a lot more like a design oversight than anything thematically intentional.

LD50KalnaurKaroz
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    The entire Lawrence fight is only a fight against the camera.

steam_sig.png
    LD50Karoz