Options

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    iiiinteresting. i thought at first that you traded on the last hit, but the damage is too high, and the numbers from your previous hits had already disappeared, so it wasn't stacking on those. i wonder how that fits in. i know i've been in the center of enough blanket parties that friendly fire can't be that frequent. my initial guess would be that hunters are another exception to the rule, but surely i'd have seen the yahar'gul gank squad take cracks at each other if that were the case, and i'd remember if i did. very strange.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ill tell ya right now beast claws has no attack that can come out fast enough to have hit him after a dodge

if you look at the animations, they're completely identical. exactly the same timing, perfect sync.

i really like that he has a parting shot as we both bleed out.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    so im in the woods area and a little unsure which way is progress, having a difficult time getting my bearings or telling what anything is in this place
    right now I'm in a watery area after, as I called it, "snake mountain", with the giant pigs

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    You're in about the right area, look for a gate shortcut and stairs doing down.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ok, I'm probably just gonna put the ps4 in rest mode and poke around tomorrow

is there another lantern anywhere or not until I find and beat shadows, this place seems p big

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

is there another lantern anywhere or not until I find and beat shadows, this place seems p big

if you quit the game from the menu it saves all your progress and you'll reload where you were without respawns

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular

No lantern, but the shortcuts in that area are a pretty big deal. One end of the water area goes up a small slope with a single snake man in the way, which leads to an elevator that takes you back to the windmill where you first started encountering them and is quite close to the other elevator that takes you back to the original lantern for the area.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So I rolled a Troubled Childhood last night with the intent of focusing on Bloodtinge. Hadn't played since ... hmm, probably June? Managed to clear the entirety of Central Yharnam, through the sewers, unlocked all the shortcuts and didn't die once. Small victory, but I'll take it.

I picked the Axe as the starting weapon because I never used it before. Damn, that thing is nice.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Speaking of rest mode, did they ever fix that bug that caused Boss and Enemies to become easier if you put the game in rest mode?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I deliberately am quitting out and closing the game now. Don't want to cheese it by mistake, just in case.

• Options
    I am too, but it's completely cargo cult at this point.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    As far as I know, yes, they fixed that bug a long time ago.

• Options
    It's amazing how much better I am at this game the second time around,
    • Cleric Beast, first try
    • Father Gascan, first try
    • The Witch, first try (actually did this the first time around as well)
    • Vicar Amelia, first try
    • Blood Starved Beast, ..... About 6 tries, can't win them all

Either strength builds are way more powerful then skill or I am just way better at this game.

First time I crushed one of those executioners with the Kirkhammer I knew this was a whole different story then the Blades of Mercy.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Ah fuck, just relized I entered the forbidden woods without starting Eileen the Crows quest and she is going to go hostile on me. This game has too many moving pieces to keep in your head at any given time.

Anyway around this? Would like to do her quest line as I missed it the first time.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    can you reload a cloud save?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Good suggestion, most likely too late as my Ps4 has been in rest mode for awhile. I'd also be blowing away a decent amount of progress as I played for a few hours tonight.

Edit: there is actually some conflicting information about what causes her to disappear. Official guide says entering the woods, fextralife wiki says it's killing the Witches of Hemwick. Either way, I fucked up, but the Witches were so long ago.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Ugh. 2 hours fighting Ludwig. What a patently not fun experience. I'm kind of sick and groggy, so my reactions aren't up to snuff, but I think I just need to stop trying to dodge through his wind up right arm swipe. I don't get through the follow up attack that comes right behind it often enough to make it worth the 2 hits of punish I get. So I guess I have to start dodging that attack backwards.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    I want to throw my PS4 out a window.

So I finish this chalice dungeon I had to slog though to open up the other chalice dungeon I have to do to finish up the story and trophies. I go to make it, and I'm missing one ingredient. I look it up...and the only place you can find the ingredient is in yet another, even more difficult chalice dungeon. This is ridiculous.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Isz feels like a walk in there park after the Defiled chalice

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    Yup, that's pretty much the worst thing in the game. Grind ingredients in order to grind ingredients in order to grind ingredients in order to grind ingredients in order to finally get some useful things.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Speaking of Chalice dungeons I have never tried to look one up with one of the Glyph codes. I tried it recently for one that was for Isz but it keeps saying I don't have the requirements. I have the Isz root chalice and I have the materials, what am I missing?

• Options
    Good suggestion, most likely too late as my Ps4 has been in rest mode for awhile. I'd also be blowing away a decent amount of progress as I played for a few hours tonight.

Edit: there is actually some conflicting information about what causes her to disappear. Official guide says entering the woods, fextralife wiki says it's killing the Witches of Hemwick. Either way, I fucked up, but the Witches were so long ago.
    it's definitely not the witches

she might not even spawn before the witches

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Elendil wrote: »

She definitely spawns in before the witches. Basically, she spawns right from the game's get-go. The triggers to advance her, though, seem to be (going to spoiler this *just* in case)
    she'll be near the warehouse where you can find the saw spear until you kill Vicar Amelia. After Amelia is dead and night time falls, she'll move over to just outside the Cathedral Ward lantern (if you run straight, she'll be there). I can't remember if she'll immediately just tell you to avoid Tomb of Oedon since she's hunting prey there, or if you need to kill BSB to get her to tell you to not go to Tomb of Oedon (when she tells you this, the ToO lantern becomes inaccessible). I *think* hitting the Forbidden Woods triggers her to advance and closes off the ability to run her quest. I know the last time I went back to Cathedral Ward, I had already killed the Witches and had lit the Forbidden Woods lantern...so I'm not sure which one did the trick.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

So I finish this chalice dungeon I had to slog though to open up the other chalice dungeon I have to do to finish up the story and trophies. I go to make it, and I'm missing one ingredient. I look it up...and the only place you can find the ingredient is in yet another, even more difficult chalice dungeon. This is ridiculous.

Hm? "Red Jelly"?

You get two per NG in the story. Did you get any on your first way through?
    Getting access to the Lecture Building is fairly quick. You need only kill Gascogine, buy the unlock item, kill Amelia, then travel down to the Forbidden Woods and get the Tonsil Stone from the beastman village. I'm pretty sure you can get the Red Jelly with first floor access. I might go check...

If you got some in NG and NG+ you're set. Otherwise though you do have to do Lower Loran at least. Honestly though depth 5 chalice dungeons are actually sort of easier than the Cursed Defiled Chalice... no halved health goes a long way.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

She definitely spawns in before the witches. Basically, she spawns right from the game's get-go. The triggers to advance her, though, seem to be (going to spoiler this *just* in case)
    she'll be near the warehouse where you can find the saw spear until you kill Vicar Amelia. After Amelia is dead and night time falls, she'll move over to just outside the Cathedral Ward lantern (if you run straight, she'll be there). I can't remember if she'll immediately just tell you to avoid Tomb of Oedon since she's hunting prey there, or if you need to kill BSB to get her to tell you to not go to Tomb of Oedon (when she tells you this, the ToO lantern becomes inaccessible). I *think* hitting the Forbidden Woods triggers her to advance and closes off the ability to run her quest. I know the last time I went back to Cathedral Ward, I had already killed the Witches and had lit the Forbidden Woods lantern...so I'm not sure which one did the trick.
    i meant her moving to cathedral ward. she only does that after you open the gates in the ward. i'm not sure which gate (or if it's all of them) but if it was the witches, you'd potentially be breaking her quest immediately after - or before - that stage even becomes available

• Options

i meant her moving to cathedral ward. she only does that after you open the gates in the ward. i'm not sure which gate (or if it's all of them) but if it was the witches, you'd potentially be breaking her quest immediately after - or before - that stage even becomes available
    I'm 90% sure she moves to Cathedral Ward after you kill Amelia and look at the skull to advance the map to full-on night

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I'm 90% sure she moves to Cathedral Ward after you kill Amelia and look at the skull to advance the map to full-on night
    it's the gates. that's what the guide says, and it's completely consistent with what i've seen on my playthroughs. amelia and the skull is generally the last thing i do before the woods. and it's not tied to boss progression either, as i've cleared a couple bosses - BSB, the witches, and then not found her yet. then i open up the gates and she shows.

like i said, i'm not sure if it's a particular gate that does it, or the whole set of gates leading to that big courtyard, but that's definitely the trigger for that quest stage.

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Hm? "Red Jelly"?

You get two per NG in the story. Did you get any on your first way through?
    Getting access to the Lecture Building is fairly quick. You need only kill Gascogine, buy the unlock item, kill Amelia, then travel down to the Forbidden Woods and get the Tonsil Stone from the beastman village. I'm pretty sure you can get the Red Jelly with first floor access. I might go check...

If you got some in NG and NG+ you're set. Otherwise though you do have to do Lower Loran at least. Honestly though depth 5 chalice dungeons are actually sort of easier than the Cursed Defiled Chalice... no halved health goes a long way.

I got those, I'm at the very end of the game. There's no way I was going to go all the way through NG+ just to get the two more I needed. But I did finish that dungeon, so now I've finally unlocked the actual last one I need to do. I love the design of the chalice dungeons, I just don't want to be forced to play them just to unlock stuff, I thought the whole point was they were a separate thing just for fun and loot.

Speaking of loot, I'm not really getting any of that, either. I've gone all the way through to Depth 5 and I have yet to replace one gem on my weapon. No weapons or armor drop, obviously, so I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to be finding here. Materials for more chalice dungeons seems to be it, really. I did find a bath selling some Lost/Uncanny weapons...but they're not any stronger than the default ones. And it's just a random selection, from the regular set and DLC weapons. I'm not sure what the point is.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

it's the gates. that's what the guide says, and it's completely consistent with what i've seen on my playthroughs. amelia and the skull is generally the last thing i do before the woods. and it's not tied to boss progression either, as i've cleared a couple bosses - BSB, the witches, and then not found her yet. then i open up the gates and she shows.

like i said, i'm not sure if it's a particular gate that does it, or the whole set of gates leading to that big courtyard, but that's definitely the trigger for that quest stage.
    It's not the gates. I opened all of them in one go with the shortcut key, and she didn't spawn till I killed Amelia. I believe I read somewhere that if you don't use the shortcut key to open the gate in the cathedral, you end up going through the area that locks you out of completing her quest.

• Options

That is really odd.
    In my first character's game, I have Cathedral Ward opened up and everything up to Amelia opened up...but Eileen hasn't shown up. However, in my skill-character's game, though, as soon as Amelia died, Eileen showed up.

• Options
    The lost and uncanny weapons just have altered gem slots, which are mostly important for arcane characters looking to gem them up in particular ways. It is...a needlessly awkward system. As a whole, chalices contain the highest tier caryll runes and the best endgame gems, but they're not in the preset dungeons you have to do to progress through them. You find them by getting the root chalice for a given area and making a random dungeon, often with added curses that make it harder but give better odds of finding loot. That's what the glyph codes are for - so when you generate a dungeon with good loot, you can share it online (there's tons of codes you can find for any given item at this point).

In short: its stupid. And as much as I enjoy the game I hate the way you have to earn progress through chalices while getting very little in reward until you've already done 90% of them and can finally generate other people's dungeons for the runes you want or to try to farm up the best gems off of bosses.

• Options
    Etiowsa wrote: »

It's not the gates. I opened all of them in one go with the shortcut key, and she didn't spawn till I killed Amelia. I believe I read somewhere that if you don't use the shortcut key to open the gate in the cathedral, you end up going through the area that locks you out of completing her quest.
    I haven't used the shortcut key for Cathedral Ward since my first character and I've completed Eileen's quest every single time. I can't say I know what spawns her in, but she definitely appears before I kill the Witches or Amelia.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    *staggers into room covered in ichor and blood, whirring Whirligig saw in hand*

"fuck...Orphan...of Kos...."

*collapses*

*whirligig slowly winds down*
    Nightmare Slain

Morninglord on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Where are the iframes on the roll? I just can't seem to find them

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Just like you have to do Loran Chalice to unlock the Defiled Chalice, it's just part of the progression that Isz comes between Defiled and Ihyl

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Martyr Logarius down. I think I might have fucked something up though re: Cainhurst Badge
    I didn't kneel in front of Annalise and now she just dismisses me. Have I foreclosed the ability to get the badge entirely now?

I really want that Cainhurst armor.

Next goal is to finish Eileen's quest. I'm real close to killing that stupid bastard in the Cathedral.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    You should still have a kneel option a few feet away from her, as far as I'm aware nothing permanently locks you out of that.
    In fact the whole point of the altar Ebrietas protects is to revive her, seemingly so if you didn't do her covenant junk before Alfred meets up with her (if you gave him the unopened summons).

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Thanks, I went back and did that for the badge.

Man, fuck the Crow of Cainhurst... I've lost track of how many times he's killed me. It doesn't even matter any more, I'm going to keep coming back until I kill him. And of course he makes a billion mistakes and might lose half his health, I make one mistake and I'm fucked.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Lame It Out.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    In related news, I managed to help Eileen kill Henryk without also killing Eileen this time. Go me!

Also, the Geol ain't so scary this time around. Went in intentionally, slaughtered everything (except Paarl, haven't made a run at it yet), got enough twin shards to get my Kirkhammer up to +6. Tomorrow, I'll take a crack at the lightning beast, since I skipped that fight in the first playthrough.

I am enjoying this so much more the second time, even if I think that ultimately, I'm not a Str weapon guy. Kirk's fine and all, but I almost prefer it untransformed most of the time. I don't care for the slowness, I think. I guess it's not too late to go skill; I'm only 18 deep in Str, been mostly hitting Vit and End.