Options

[Podcast Thread] I Guess The Earth Is Flat Now

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I totally blanked on who was asking the question.

It's Wednesday morning, give me a break.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Wait.

Waaaaait.

Oh god, it's all coming back to me.
    +++MELON MELON MELON+++
    +++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
    +++Whoops! Here Comes The Cheese! +++
    +++Oneoneoneoneoneoneone+++

No I don't.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Sorry all, it's one of my favorite things to do, feign ignorance on discworld.

No I don't.
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    i love british humor! the office! that michael scott is a crazy man!

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Red Dwarf X in a while. I recently rewatched the entire series because PBS basically has them on repeat nonstop, but they start over at season 1 once they finish season 8. Maybe they don't have the syndication rights for Back To Earth and X or something.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My one audiobook experience is listening to Stephen Fry narrate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I probably already experienced the peak of the medium

Late to the party on this, but it's both this post and podcast thread relevant

John Hodgman narrates his own audiobooks, I'm a big fan of his The Areas of My Expertise audiobook

It also has Jonathan Coulton there pretty much the entire time, and a cameo by Paul Rudd

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Now Chincy how does one pronounce Zyuranger
    Can you clarify that for us

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

THIS IS NOT MY FAULT THATS JUST HOW YOU SAY IT

It deeeeefinitely has a softer J than how you say it

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US6DJnk4z6Q

It's pronounced like that.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

I mean yes

they aren't actually saying 'jew'

but thats the only way I can write it and also attempting to say it exactly how they do is just not something I can pull off

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    man, that bit with the yellow ranger running on the heads of the clay men

I wish more of that kind of nonsense made it into power rangers

• Options
    ALSO THAT THEME IS SO DOPE

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

Which isn't much of a distinction in English. I use a soft j and the majority of people who listen will just mentally convert it to a hard one because one sounds like a word they're familiar with and the other still mostly sounds like that same word.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    My one audiobook experience is listening to Stephen Fry narrate The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I probably already experienced the peak of the medium

Late to the party on this, but it's both this post and podcast thread relevant

John Hodgman narrates his own audiobooks, I'm a big fan of his The Areas of My Expertise audiobook

It also has Jonathan Coulton there pretty much the entire time, and a cameo by Paul Rudd

Paul Rudd reading "jokes that have never produced laughter" holds a special place in my heart

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

I mean yes

but thats the only way I can write it and also attempting to say it exactly how they do is just not something I can pull off

it's a soft j

like jogging

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    yogging

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Kilroy wrote: »

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

I mean yes

it's a soft j

like jogging

I'm going to be honest, I don't hear a difference between the j in jogging and jewish

• Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

I mean yes

it's a soft j

like jogging

I'm going to be honest, I don't hear a difference between the j in jogging and jewish

I was referencing a bit from anchorman

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    It's the same j sound you use when you're saying "rajah"

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

this is what I'd expected to hear, but in that theme song it really sounds closer to the J in "jew" to mine american ears

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
  • Options

this is what I'd expected to hear, but in that theme song it really sounds closer to the J in "jew" to mine american ears

Yeah in the theme at least it sounds like a pretty hard j, which is what I was basing my pronunciation off of

• Options

it's actually somewhere in between the two, which is why it's hard for us to pronounce properly

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    the way people explain how to whistle is wrong and i suspect that is a major part of why so many people can't

you don't just pucker your lips and blow

HOW TO WHISTLE

-Whisper the word "who" under your breath
    -Keep doing it repeatedly
    -Slowly move your lips into a pucker while not changing what you're doing with your tongue/throat/lungs
    -at some point you will cross over from saying "who" to making a whistling noise, congratulations!

• Options

it's actually somewhere in between the two, which is why it's hard for us to pronounce properly

cue me muttering "rajah. rashsa. rahhhja" under my breath for the rest of the workday

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I apparently learned how to whistle the wrong way because I can do it with my mouth completely wide open

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    one of the big problems with using roman characters to represent words from east asian languages is that they have sounds that we never use so our alphabet is not equipped to handle them

like the whole L/R thing. You have to make a binary choice about how to represent a sound that falls somewhere in between our two sounds

• Options
    I apparently learned how to whistle the wrong way because I can do it with my mouth completely wide open

0_o

• Options

works very well erupting from your av's gaping maw

also, what the hell

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

0_o

yeah uh

what

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Next time we are in skype ill show ya speed

Its especially fun because I can transition between that and whisteling properly

It makes me sounds like a human slide whistle

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Are you talking about when you whistle with like your tongue right at the roof of your mouth (but not quite touching)?

Because that's how I whistle, and while it works better when my lips are pursed, it could definitely be done open mouthed

• Options
    the way people explain how to whistle is wrong and i suspect that is a major part of why so many people can't

HOW TO WHISTLE

-Slowly move your lips into a pucker while not changing what you're doing with your tongue/throat/lungs
    -at some point you will cross over from saying "who" to making a whistling noise, congratulations!

I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate following these instructions

anyhow the best way to whistle is to work in frozen foods for winn-dixie so you spend a lot of time in large coolers by yourself where you can make stupid-sounding noise and then you just blow lots of air 40 hours a week and eventually you're whistling. worked for me and it'll work for you. thank you for reading chapter 1 of my memoirs.

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options

BURN THE WITCH

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm really terrible at whistling, which is at least partially because I'm effectively tone deaf

So any attempt to whistle just comes out kind of weak and tuneless

I really just want to be able to do wolf whistles and that one thing that you use for calling the dogs in where you put your thumb in your mouth for some reason

Those are the only useful whistles in my life

• Options
    Its a shame the forum doesnt have a upload mobile video function

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular

HOW TO WHISTLE

What.

Just put your tongue up near the roof of your mouth without touching it, make an o shape with your lips and push air out. You can change the pitch with the speed you breath out or moving your tongue slightly.

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm really terrible at whistling, which is at least partially because I'm effectively tone deaf

So any attempt to whistle just comes out kind of weak and tuneless

I really just want to be able to do wolf whistles and that one thing that you use for calling the dogs in where you put your thumb in your mouth for some reason

Those are the only useful whistles in my life

the two finger/double pinkie whistle for calling loyal animals on the range is one i too hope to be capable of someday

I'm not really an outdoorsman but i feel like that whistle would shore up a lot of my weaknesses

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Its a shame the forum doesnt have a upload mobile video function

The forums would be burning rubble within a day

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I cant snap my fingers for the life of me

This discussion has been closed.