Options

[Podcast Thread] I Guess The Earth Is Flat Now

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It's the British quiz panel shows that I really like a lot. QI, 8 out of 10 Cats, Nevermind the Buzzcocks, that sort of thing. And the Big Fat Quiz of the Year.

The Big Fat Quiz of the 90s is probably my favorite because Mr. Blobby is a goddamn nightmare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qssuCeO4LhU

Edit: solid totp. if you watch nothing else watch at around 1:06 for Mr. Blobby.

Qanamil on
  • Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    I'd never make it as a Jet.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm really terrible at whistling, which is at least partially because I'm effectively tone deaf

So any attempt to whistle just comes out kind of weak and tuneless

I really just want to be able to do wolf whistles and that one thing that you use for calling the dogs in where you put your thumb in your mouth for some reason

Those are the only useful whistles in my life

the two finger/double pinkie whistle for calling loyal animals on the range is one i too hope to be capable of someday

I'm not really an outdoorsman but i feel like that whistle would shore up a lot of my weaknesses

My dad did it all the time when I was a kid

Like, you could regular whistle to get the attention of a dog that was in sight (although I couldn't whistle back then)

But if your dog went bounding off into the woods after a deer or something, you had to whip out the hand in mouth whistle

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    I cant snap my fingers for the life of me

Brotherrrr

I managed it once and it was magical

But never again

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    I can snap but it hurts because of my joint problems

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    New Dan was doing so well

Until he fell down the fucking amiibo hole

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    New Dan still has the Old Dan characteristic of jumping into anything with the entirety of his being. Unfortunately that thing being "being open minded" has left him vulnerable to dark and nefarious things.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I am super excited to see where that goes. Maybe he'll get into some more modren music, or they will finally do that food show.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Maybe he will realize there is more to life than wrestling.....!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Maybe he will realize there is more to life than wrestling.....!

#NotMyDan

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    How long until Newdan realizes he never gave a fair shot

to murder

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    I think Jeff found a fun new interest for Newdan...

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    crossposting from the Indie thread cause its rad and griffin is in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaoKAVZsdY0&feature=youtu.be

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I am super into the opening goof from this week's MBMBAM.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Oh my god "it's time for tough talk, not tough tacos"

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Kerbal Project BEAST's progress amazingly managed to regress this week

Preview for the next episode looks promising though!

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man all ya'll crazy, the じ sound in japanese is still a hard, voiced j.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Man all ya'll crazy, the じ sound in japanese is still a hard, voiced j.

VINDICATION

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    it sounds softer when said slower

when said very fast, like one might shout a team name, it gets a little harder

• Options
    it sounds softer when said slower

when said very fast, like one might shout a team name, it gets a little harder

And, if we are being realistic, Japanese is almost always said very fast.

• Options
    whereas english is generally a slower paced language, which is why it's a little more natural to say it with a softer j

cadence is one of the hardest things to learn for a foreign language

pronunciation is much much easier, it's how to apply pronunciation when rhythm enters the equation

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Now Chincy how does one pronounce Zyuranger
    Can you clarify that for us

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

THIS IS NOT MY FAULT THATS JUST HOW YOU SAY IT

is it like "jiu" in jiu jitsu?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

Yeah, but when they say it on the show/in the intro it just sounds more like jew

• Options
    whereas english is generally a slower paced language, which is why it's a little more natural to say it with a softer j

pronunciation is much much easier, it's how to apply pronunciation when rhythm enters the equation

Yeah, so much of my speech practice for the speech contest with my students was just getting them to speak at a natural English cadence. And it was so unnatural to them that they basically just had to memorize all the pauses and whatnot, because trying to do it naturally just didn't work at all.

I guess also on the topic of voicing sounds my part of Japan is infamous for voicing everything. Seriously, "sushi" comes out as "zuji" when said by the old folks there. It's an awesome accent but it does make understanding stuff tricky at times.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

That's always the question though, with non-native languages. Do you try and match the "native" sound exactly, even when that's super unnatural for you (and if so, what specific dialect do you go with?) or do you embrace your own accent? Aeris or Aerith?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

Yeah, but when they say it on the show/in the intro it just sounds more like jew

so does jiu jitsu. and yeah I could totally hear it as "jew ranger" in that opening.

Question: was the equivalent character of Rita not the main villain of zyuranger? she didn't seem to be in the opening. Also the t-rex zord did some actual godzilla rubber suit stuff instead of just existing to turn into the megazord, did the component zords do things on their own more in zyuranger?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Yeah, so much of my speech practice for the speech contest with my students was just getting them to speak at a natural English cadence. And it was so unnatural to them that they basically just had to memorize all the pauses and whatnot, because trying to do it naturally just didn't work at all.

I guess also on the topic of voicing sounds my part of Japan is infamous for voicing everything. Seriously, "sushi" comes out as "zuji" when said by the old folks there. It's an awesome accent but it does make understanding stuff tricky at times.

My go to accent book has a section for every accent on the rhythm of speech

It is way more important than you think it would be

Sometimes even just matching the rhythm, without any of the accented speech or dialectical notes, can be enough for people to think you have that accent

• Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

so does jiu jitsu. and yeah I could totally hear it as "jew ranger" in that opening.

Question: was the equivalent character of Rita not the main villain of zyuranger? she didn't seem to be in the opening. Also the t-rex zord did some actual godzilla rubber suit stuff instead of just existing to turn into the megazord, did the component zords do things on their own more in zyuranger?

Her name is Bandora, and she is the villain that's around the most, but is being manipulated by Satan who is the real big bad

The individual zords actually do kind of a lot in Power Rangers, I was surprised when we started re-watching it, the t-rex zord in particular

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

this is just a shittier version of let's place

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options

Well we don't play the games on lets place

We should play the games on lets place

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Well we don't play the games on lets place

We should play the games on lets place

I feel like playing the games would only cause you to form subjective opinions on them, which violates the scientific sanctity of the process.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

Her name is Bandora, and she is the villain that's around the most, but is being manipulated by Satan who is the real big bad

The individual zords actually do kind of a lot in Power Rangers, I was surprised when we started re-watching it, the t-rex zord in particular

in zyuranger the dragonzord is sentient
    there is a scene late in the show when burai, the green ranger, dies, and the dragonzord is shown mourning over his death

bandora is maybe not the big bad but she's still SUPER spiteful

• Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

there is a scene late in the show when burai, the green ranger, dies, and the dragonzord is shown mourning over his death

Yeah like she actively kidnaps children

Also the Megazord is also sentient and is capital G God

• Options
    so satan is literally satan, not just some weird monster named satan?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    so satan is literally satan, not just some weird monster named satan?

Yep.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I used to be able to whistle through my teeth, but then I broke a tooth and now I can't whistle anymore.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options

uh

yes

you um

its 'jewranger'

Yeah like she actively kidnaps children

Also the Megazord is also sentient and is capital G God

along with the spoiler above
    She also starts designing operations just to keep Burai out of his cave as long as possible, thereby draining his remaining lifeforce, to spite him for betraying her

This discussion has been closed.