As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Podcast Thread] I Guess The Earth Is Flat Now

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Kilroy wrote: »
    stare into the anime abyss, it stares back at uguu~

this post is a crime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW3JrHH6Zc0

This song is probably the thing most associated with summer for me now, actually

Less than 19 weeks to E3 everyone!

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    aaaand now I have the chorus from Lockdown as my ringtone

again

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I agree 100% with Griffin

Which is not something I say a lot when it comes to videogames because the McElroys have crazypants videogamepinions mostly

Could I be a bother and ask you to summarize his points? I didn't want to watch a whole 16 minute video.'

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I agree 100% with Griffin

Which is not something I say a lot when it comes to videogames because the McElroys have crazypants videogamepinions mostly

Crazy opinions like "Undertale is a really good game" or "Destiny got kind of really fun after the recent expansion."

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Guys has anyone else been listening to Rosebuddies? I love it so very, very much. Rachel and Griffin's fevered retellings of Bachelor episodes are a hundred times better than the actual episodes could ever be

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, I've got no problem with the whole formats thing, that was a foregone conclusion from day one.

But not allowing you to get the old stuff via packs at all is bananas.

Maddoc on
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    aaaand now I have the chorus from Lockdown as my ringtone

again

https://youtube.com/watch?v=c7sLRs_XzTg

I know some folks were bummed that Austin Walker got the new GB hire slot over some other potentials.

But man I am super pleased with his contributions to the content on GB.

who the hell was bummed about austin?

austin is the best thing to happen to giant bomb since they got drew out from behind the camera

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Okay, yes. I would like to know more about someone who says that Planescape: Torment is the best game ever made.

austin is the best thing to happen to giant bomb since they got drew out from behind the camera

When the announcement first happened, assuming my memory is correct, plenty of people were bummed for plenty of legit reasons. I mean, no one could have known how it was all going to shake out with Austin on the crew.

Lots of people wanted a woman hire, for example.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Some people wanted either Cara Ellison or Samantha Kalman

But I'm not sure they actually applied

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

When the announcement first happened, assuming my memory is correct, plenty of people were bummed for plenty of legit reasons. I mean, no one could have known how it was all going to shake out with Austin on the crew.

That was more in reaction to Dan than Austin

That was more in reaction to Dan than Austin

Oh you may be right, I think I might be conflating the two in my head.

It's been a bit (also I didn't really follow GB before the beastcast).

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    If I remember right, Austin's hire was a bit of a surprise. When they hired Dan/Jason, they announced it a few months before, but I thought I saw Vinny say "Hey we're hiring a new person" and then like a few days later "We hired Austin Walker."

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

in my opinion, from a representation standpoint Austin was a much more important hire

i think it was gita jackson who pointed out when he was hired that black men (and women) are much more underrepresented in the industry than white women (like several of the people giant bomb fans wanted hired)

evan narcisse and austin walker are the only african-americans in "big" games journalism I can really think of off the top of my head

WeedLordVegeta on
    Moriveth wrote: »
    If I remember right, Austin's hire was a bit of a surprise. When they hired Dan/Jason, they announced it a few months before, but I thought I saw Vinny say "Hey we're hiring a new person" and then like a few days later "We hired Austin Walker."

Yeah I got the Dan hiring mixed up with the Austin hiring.

Regardless, Austin Walker is rad and his contributions are fantastic.

It was the one/two punch of Dan AND Jason at the same time that I think really riled people.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    People were bummed about Dan because they announced that they were hiring and encouraged people to send in application, and then it turned out they had selected people beforehand and that announcment was a formality

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    People were bummed about Dan because they announced that they were hiring and encouraged people to send in application, and then it turned out they had selected people beforehand and that announcment was a formality

i don't know that this was ever officially confirmed

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I understand being upset at the Dan and Jason hire but man, that's worked out pretty well.

I just wish Ryan was still around because I would have fucking loved to hear his reactions to Dan's weird shit (but not Newdan, that guy will try anything).

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I mean, that and some (me) were bummed they hired a dude who ability to critizice media boiled down to if its cool guy action stuff or not

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I understand being upset at the Dan and Jason hire but man, that's worked out pretty well.

I just wish Ryan was still around because I would have fucking loved to hear his reactions to Dan's weird shit (but not Newdan, that guy will try anything).

The few times Ryan had mentioned or interaracted with Dan were gold.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

I mean, no, but also the people saying it were people that seemed believable and it's not an unheard of thing to do

IIRC, somebody flat out said they were told that was the case when they applied.

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I think while I'm on paternity leave if I have time to do it I'll try to write down a couple paragraphs about videogames and my life and see if Austin has any interest in it.

Lots of introspection going on in my life lately and even if none of it ends up making it up there it would probably be therapeutic for me to just write it down anyway.

sig.gif

I mean, no, but also the people saying it were people that seemed believable and it's not an unheard of thing to do

Yeah I've interviewed for jobs and had my hiring locked in place before any job opening listings have gone up, but the job listings still had to be posted for a minimum number of hours online for legal/government reasons, even though they had every intention of rejecting every person who applied to it.

It sucks but it is rather standard practice for a lot of things.

I want to pitch something about the portrayal of religion in video games to austin but that would require me to actually go finish bioshock infinite

Yeah I've interviewed for jobs and had my hiring locked in place before any job opening listings have gone up, but the job listings still had to be posted for a minimum number of hours online for legal/government reasons, even though they had every intention of rejecting every person who applied to it.

What made GB'a thing specifically annoying was that they didn't just slip an application into CBSI's website at 3 AM and let it quietly sit there

Rorie actively solicited applications that were apparently gonna be thrown away as soon as they were received

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I want to pitch something about the portrayal of religion in video games to austin but that would require me to actually go finish bioshock infinite

Uhhg

Not worth it for sure

(I'd read that article though.)

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Anyone know how/if there's a way to add the PA podcast to an app, like Overcast? The app asks for a URL and I've tried a few different ones, but none have worked so far.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Anybody run across Audacity refusing to export a project to mp3? It hangs up at about 5% and then the 'time left' marches up into eternity. Have the mp3 lame and can export other projects so it seems like something unique to this one. Googling wasn't too helpful, but might just be using the wrong search terms.

What made GB'a thing specifically annoying was that they didn't just slip an application into CBSI's website at 3 AM and let it quietly sit there

Rorie actively solicited applications that were apparently gonna be thrown away as soon as they were received

That's a rather mean spirited thing to do, I feel. (Assuming that the spots were already decided.)

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    I recognised ... I think .. 3 characters from that anime fighting game.

And that's 3 too many.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Anybody run across Audacity refusing to export a project to mp3? It hangs up at about 5% and then the 'time left' marches up into eternity. Have the mp3 lame and can export other projects so it seems like something unique to this one. Googling wasn't too helpful, but might just be using the wrong search terms.

Sounds like an issue between the encoder and something in the project. Try exporting as a WAV, then open that file and export it as an MP3.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

That's a rather mean spirited thing to do, I feel. (Assuming that the spots were already decided.)

As someone who applied, I agree!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it is completely possible that not everyone was on the same page with it, and again relies on an assumption

liEt3nH.png
    I know that maddy myers was super pissed about how that hiring was conducted, to the point where she won't have anything to do with giant bomb anymore

This discussion has been closed.