As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lunch [chat]

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    Do I strike you as somebody who gets taken advantage of?

oh yes, very tough

now about your next trip to china,

daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

oh yes, very tough

I believe they pay him a shitload of money to go to china.

• Options
    pixelstixpixelstix comically overworked QA lead Registered User regular
    I actually like eating lunch at my desk. Gives me a chance to nervously peruse news sites. Plus, in my building there's both a supermarket and a little diner.

Anyway, macaroni salad and a greasy-as-eff burger!

DB30aOv.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @Deebaser let's see glorious Nippon banks (ginko).

Mizuho and Mitsubishi(I know it changed names but I forget the new name) are the two that come to mind.

I did a some freelance in person translation work for Sumitomo once.

the full name shares the initials of a popular webcomic.

Ahh I think I know which one.

Get paid.

Beware Japanese work hours.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    my butt is so sore

yesterday I did a billion butt things

air squats 3x20
    sumo squats with kettle bells 3x10
    lunges with weights 4x26
    side lunges 3x20
    some sort of thing where you hop onto a little box, and then hop off it into a squat, and then back on 1x50, 1x35, 1x20

mah bunz

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    pixelstix wrote: »
    I actually like eating lunch at my desk. Gives me a chance to nervously peruse news sites. Plus, in my building there's both a supermarket and a little diner.

ALERT SEND THE WELCOME WAGON

@Sir Landshark

sig.gif
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    hi pixelstix tell us about yourself

i am sitting here at work supposed to be having a 1x1 with my boss but he is busy so he will "ping me"

sig.gif
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Man I want a supermarket where I work

• Options
    my butt is so sore

yesterday I did a billion butt things

air squats 3x20
    sumo squats with kettle bells 3x10
    lunges with weights 4x26
    side lunges 3x20
    some sort of thing where you hop onto a little box, and then hop off it into a squat, and then back on 1x50, 1x35, 1x20

mah bunz

are they steamed

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

oh yes, very tough

I get so many returned favors for the china trips. Effectively infinite PTO. Full flex hours. Zero scrutiny on expense reports. Brand new equipment every time I ask.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

i am sitting here at work supposed to be having a 1x1 with my boss but he is busy so he will "ping me"

it nerds at my work like to send IMs with "ping" as the text and they expect you to respond with "pong"

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Updating my resume, pew pew pew. Time to find someone impartial and competent to read through it.

• Options

oh yes, very tough

I get so many returned favors for the china trips. Effectively infinite PTO. Full flex hours. Zero scrutiny on expense reports. Brand new equipment every time I ask.

expense a trip to portland for a week after I graduate

I think you said you have an office near here

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Running a minecraft server via command line the command is
    java -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui

I've tried upping the Xms to 2048 and the Xmx to 3.5 because my server has 3.9 gigs of ram, according to the system monitor. (Ubuntu running on a server). I just had 30 kids connect to it and the RAM never went above 2.5 in usage. CPU has 4 cores which are up in the 80s and occasionally spike to 90 or so, but none are maxxed out. But holy shit the lag! What am I missing here? I am a linux noob. With that many students connected they had a hell of a time mining anything. Any ideas chat?

Make sure you're running 64 bit Java and a 64 bit OS. Otherwise RAM usage is capped at 2GB no matter what. Also get your minecraft server data all on a high-performance SSD. Lots of the time the server just sits waiting for data to stream on and off of disk, so disk IO performance is very important.

Should be but I'll definitely double check that. We don't have an SSD in there sadly. I figured that would be bad for servers with all the writes, or is that not as big of a deal anymore?

The SSD will wear out in 2-3 years of heavy minecrafting, as opposed to a platter drive which will last 5+ years, but that's the price you pay for high performance.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

it nerds at my work like to send IMs with "ping" as the text and they expect you to respond with "pong"

that's not complete syntax. The next time those fuckers do that, paste them this:

Usage: ping [-t] [-a] [-n count] [-l size] [-f] [-i TTL] [-v TOS]
    [-r count] [-s count] [-k host-list
    [-w timeout] [-R] [-S srcaddr] [-c compartment] [-p]
    [-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
    -t Ping the specified host until stopped.
    To see statistics and continue - type Control-Break;
    To stop - type Control-C.
    -a Resolve addresses to hostnames.
    -n count Number of echo requests to send.
    -l size Send buffer size.
    -f Set Don't Fragment flag in packet (IPv4-only).
    -i TTL Time To Live.
    -v TOS Type Of Service (IPv4-only. This setting has been deprecated
    and has no effect on the type of service field in the IP
    Header).
    -r count Record route for count hops (IPv4-only).
    -s count Timestamp for count hops (IPv4-only).
    -j host-list Loose source route along host-list (IPv4-only).
    -k host-list Strict source route along host-list (IPv4-only).
    -w timeout Timeout in milliseconds to wait for each reply.
    -R Use routing header to test reverse route also (IPv6-only).
    Per RFC 5095 the use of this routing header has been
    deprecated. Some systems may drop echo requests if
    this header is used.
    -S srcaddr Source address to use.
    -c compartment Routing compartment identifier.
    -p Ping a Hyper-V Network Virtualization provider address.
    -4 Force using IPv4.
    -6 Force using IPv6.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

I've tried upping the Xms to 2048 and the Xmx to 3.5 because my server has 3.9 gigs of ram, according to the system monitor. (Ubuntu running on a server). I just had 30 kids connect to it and the RAM never went above 2.5 in usage. CPU has 4 cores which are up in the 80s and occasionally spike to 90 or so, but none are maxxed out. But holy shit the lag! What am I missing here? I am a linux noob. With that many students connected they had a hell of a time mining anything. Any ideas chat?

Make sure you're running 64 bit Java and a 64 bit OS. Otherwise RAM usage is capped at 2GB no matter what. Also get your minecraft server data all on a high-performance SSD. Lots of the time the server just sits waiting for data to stream on and off of disk, so disk IO performance is very important.

Should be but I'll definitely double check that. We don't have an SSD in there sadly. I figured that would be bad for servers with all the writes, or is that not as big of a deal anymore?

Yeah it's 64 bit Ubuntu with 64 bit Java and the server command was run with both numbers changed to 3072, yet under the system monitor it's only using 1.5 gigs of RAM right now. 1.7 once I had one player connect.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

I am pleased that I understand this protocol

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    once I named a computer pongchingchong

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    if they get smart and type
    ping skippy

paste this:

Ping request could not find host skippy. Please check the name and try again.

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »

that's not complete syntax. The next time those fuckers do that, paste them this:

[-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
    -i TTL Time To Live.
    Header).
    this header is used.
    -4 Force using IPv4.
    -6 Force using IPv6.

It is complete for IRC protocol

• Options

Hey y'all,

I've been a PA reader for enough years that I feel old (27 isn't old I guess but it feels that way based on millenial standards... I don't understand Undertale for example). Basically I've tried to parley my borderline unhealthy love of gaming into a career, which means I test games for Compliance and dream of making my own throwback CRPG someday. These days primarily playing on my PS4 since my gaming laptop fell victim to a rogue glass of Coke.

I don't usually get involved in forums but I figured I'd throw my hat in here and commune with like-minded 1337* playerz.

*I am not 1337

DB30aOv.png
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

[-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
    -i TTL Time To Live.
    Header).
    this header is used.
    -4 Force using IPv4.
    -6 Force using IPv6.

nope.

that'd be /ping host

• Options
    my boss wanted me to push back on this task i volunteered for but i didnt see it til after i volunteered

i think it's like, zero work but there's all this political freaking out about it

whoa, whoa, whoa, we have to set up a clustered environment, this is a big job

really? is it? We gotta make some vms and put our software on them. Maybe I'm missing something but I was just like whatever, fine, assign it to me

sig.gif
  • Options

Yeah it's 64 bit Ubuntu with 64 bit Java and the server command was run with both numbers changed to 3072, yet under the system monitor it's only using 1.5 gigs of RAM right now. 1.7 once I had one player connect.

Well it's not going to use more RAM than it actually needs. Another thing to check is the server's bandwidth. If you're running this out of your home, your upstream bandwidth is probably not the best, which causes tons of lag.

• Options

It's meh. This one is shitty... doesn't have a deli section and the service is awful... but they have specials on 4-packs of Rockstar energy drank which has proven useful

DB30aOv.png
  • Options
    listen the only thing you need to know about these forums is:

1) puppies
    2) bass
    3)

919UOwT.png
  • Options

Hey y'all,

I've been a PA reader for enough years that I feel old (27 isn't old I guess but it feels that way based on millenial standards... I don't understand Undertale for example). Basically I've tried to parley my borderline unhealthy love of gaming into a career, which means I test games for Compliance and dream of making my own throwback CRPG someday. These days primarily playing on my PS4 since my gaming laptop fell victim to a rogue glass of Coke.

I don't usually get involved in forums but I figured I'd throw my hat in here and commune with like-minded 1337* playerz.

*I am not 1337

27/28 is probably the mode age of people here, actually

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    "someone should probably do something about Ramblinn"
    omg

• Options

It's meh. This one is shitty... doesn't have a deli section and the service is awful... but they have specials on 4-packs of Rockstar energy drank which has proven useful

I just hate going to the market so it would be nice if it were easier.

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    Ok, thanks baking bros

Ares, you forgot to remind me to buy beef :P

HOW IS THIS MY FAULT

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options

Hey y'all,

*I am not 1337

hi i do software in boulder

i am working on biking 10min every day so i can fix my knee and go back to yoga

i had a good first date but things have been slowly petering out instead of a second date >:[

tomorrow i get to play board games :)

sig.gif
  • Options

Hey y'all,

*I am not 1337

Hello friend

I am 33.

You will find a lot of people your age here.

some even older.

Like @IrondWill

He's basically a witcher

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

Hey y'all,

*I am not 1337

27/28 is probably the mode age of people here, actually

I was thinking median. But it might be the mode too.

Sadly people like Will throw off the mean.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

[-4] [-6] target_name

Options:
    -i TTL Time To Live.
    Header).
    this header is used.
    -4 Force using IPv4.
    -6 Force using IPv6.

nope.

that'd be /ping host

If you were giving the command to the server, but in terms of messages the other user receives, it is basically PING

• Options

I just hate going to the market so it would be nice if it were easier.

likes cooking, but hates going to market

intriguing...

sig.gif
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Hachface wrote: »
    Gave my two-weeks notice on Friday.

This is going to be my favorite two weeks of work ever.

I'm preparing for a job interview that will about double my current income

If I stick the landing, I too will be enjoying the wonderful two-week vacation!

• Options
    (shivahn fake lizard person confirmed)

sig.gif
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    listen the only thing you need to know about these forums is:

1) puppies
    2) bass
    3) pinch pinch

• Options
    yo pups dont get down on yourself

sometimes things just peter out

it is the way of the universe

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Hey y'all,

*I am not 1337

Hi pixelstix!

You don't have to be 13 to understand Undertale; what is this nonsense. It's an ugly, kinda unfun, but unexpectedly emotionally moving little gaming experience about killing monsters and feeling bad about it!

Most of the people in chat are in their late 20s early 30s, from what I can tell, with a few younger and several older.
    I am pretty new to posting on this particular thread, and it has been a very welcoming and rewarding community experience so far; I recommend it.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.