As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Webcomics Ship has Sailed

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i think part of the reason many of the romances are badly written is because they try to move too quickly in a limited space and don't feel very natural, so character emotions wind up oversimplified

this could possibly be alleviated by giving them more time, but it could also make those problems just last longer

liEt3nH.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think the romances will keep getting better

game romances are one of those things that people are still trying to figure out - because simulating things like consent from a fictional character can get pretty complicated

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    that and romance is really, really complicated (obviously) and it's hard to simulate enough variance to provide an experience that a really broad audience can relate to

for a lot of people, falling in love or just even merely dating someone involves lots of just talking about whatever with someone. The inability to converse with a character outside of the limited options a game can provide can really inhibit the experience unless it's really really carefully delivered.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    On the one hand, some drunk guy went to 13 hours and accidentally shot a woman

on the other hand.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyWiGL3Ampg

Anzekay wrote: »
    that and romance is really, really complicated (obviously) and it's hard to simulate enough variance to provide an experience that a really broad audience can relate to

for a lot of people, falling in love or just even merely dating someone involves lots of just talking about whatever with someone. The inability to converse with a character outside of the limited options a game can provide can really inhibit the experience unless it's really really carefully delivered.

yeah there needs to be a greater priority on relaxed ambient dialogue too, which is something dai did well

liEt3nH.png
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Ff6 is boring with bad characters and the worst villain

And the opera is just some midi plinking nobody even sings

huh

I think I experienced it too late in life and too late after I'd played later FF games to really appreciate it. I understand it's beloved but for the life of me I just do not get it.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

huh

I think I experienced it too late in life and too late after I'd played later FF games to really appreciate it. I understand it's beloved but for the life of me I just do not get it.

You can suplex a ghost train

i think a lot of jrpgs in general age worse than people think if someone didn't grow up with them

liEt3nH.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Anzekay wrote: »

yeah there needs to be a greater priority on relaxed ambient dialogue too, which is something dai did well

It'd be nice if you could start up a conversation in an area and just have dialogue where you're like, "So, these ancient ruins are pretty neat, huh?" and your partner would reply "Yeah, have you seen these murals? They're gorgeous," and then you'd be like, "OH MAN I LOVE MURALS TOO."

Or something along those lines.

Just short contextual conversations you could have in various areas to build up a rapport.

IKknkhU.gif
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    i think a lot of jrpgs in general age worse than people think if someone didn't grow up with them

That's possible

But I think a lot of them are more age-proof than the average game, too

dN0T6ur.png
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular

Dark Cloud 2 is a game I enjoy immensely

it is also downright shocking how positive the response has been to being released on PS4, I am firmly aware of the jank it has. Really thought that thing would age worse

VRXwDW7.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    bioware should start making good games period before they worry about the minutiae of romance

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    well mass effect 2 was alright but that's it

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The only old JRPG I've been able to go play, having never had a SNES and not getting into proper RPGs until the PS2, and have it be super enjoyable and timeless is Chrono Trigger

CYpGAPn.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

That's possible

But I think a lot of them are more age-proof than the average game, too

I disagree

A lot of their stories feel pretty rote and simplistic, the graphics make their worlds feel more and more flat and abstract as visuals advance, the mechanics get progressively more frustrating as modern RPGs improve on those formulas

There's exceptions like Chrono Trigger and Earthbound but on the whole I think they're pretty susceptible to aging, mostly because they were never great to start with but there just wasn't anything better around

Compare that with like, Tetris, which can go toe to toe with any modern puzzle game, or Mario 3, which modern platformers still borrow ideas from

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I said a lot; never meant that to mean a majority, by any means

dN0T6ur.png
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    00001622.jpg

edit
    SAME

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular

huh

You can suplex a ghost train

Tifa could suplex some crazy shit too.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Also known as milking the bosstate

VRXwDW7.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Not played DAI, but the Iron Bull (is that his name) scene with a guy was shared and hilarious and I would enjoy more of that level of comedy with my romance

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    clearly Gunnerkrigg Court is a secret screed against SSRIs.

aRkpc.gif
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    vtphw6lyjzif.jpg
    xd9dw52ohfiv.jpg
    Thunderstruck's doing some possession shenanigans.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Today on Erfworld, the Numa Dance makes an appearance in textual form
    Erf3_127_900_web.jpg

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Today on Erfworld, the Numa Dance makes an appearance in textual form
    Erf3_127_900_web.jpg

Hmm. It actually looks like Wanda might not screw things up, which would be a nice change. I'm doubtful that any of the Beans will survive the battle, though.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    final fantasy 5 is vastly underrated.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    The worst aging of all games are early 3D.

• NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    One Punch Man is read right to left.
    Previous Chapter | Index | Current Chapter [NSFW]
    Neveron wrote: »
    2hPVMok.jpg
    sncK7di.jpg
    ptdfBlB.jpg
    KDrNfcO.jpg

You know, I'm not entirely sure if Fuhrer Ugly is incredibly offensive or not. But that's mostly with the benefit of hindsight, by which I mean the very next page. I guess I'll just write up something about it tomorrow.

Sources and links:
    url="http://galaxyheavyblow.web.fc2.com/index.html"]JP webcomic c.1-105[/url [ENG webcomic c.1-70 (71-105 are available on other unlinkable places)](2 NSFW pages)
    Chapters 1-3 translated by El_Thor, 4-27 by Boon (and for four panels PA's Cantide and for one PA's Winder) and edited by me, 28-30 by El_Thor yet again, and 31 onwards by someone who shall remain anonymous since I don't know who they are.

url="http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/onepanman/"]JP Manga c.1-5, 15-59[/url url="http://www.viz.com/manga/digital/one-punch-man"]ENG Manga c.1-40[/url
    [Anime: Daisuki, Hulu]
    The next post is probably read left to right unless it's some wise guy writing backwards or that vampire cheerleader comic.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Mass Effect needs to fix its whole 'reason why the reapers exist' before it does anything about the romances or anything else.

sig.gif
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2016
    Mass Effect needs to fix its whole 'reason why the reapers exist' before it does anything about the romances or anything else.

or they could do what it looks like they're doing, and divorce the next game from the reapers entirely

DJ Eebs on
    Probably for the best.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    clearly Gunnerkrigg Court is a secret screed against SSRIs.

Seems more like a metaphor of adolescent turmoil to me.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • statlerstatler Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Preorder Romeo And/Or Juliet by Ryan North and a bunch of awesome artists.
    was there a kickstarter for this

DID I MISS A KICKSTARTER FOR THIS

No, he had a publisher for this so no Kickstarter needed.

statler on
    qy85xdkddou7.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    SHUT UP

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • statlerstatler Registered User regular
    oElg5hz.gif

qy85xdkddou7.png
This discussion has been closed.