As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Love] and Risotto

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I enjoy the feeling of starting to date someone and it going well, but ultimately I'm a snuggle kind of guy

Also Angie's housemates have all decided to fuck off and leave her in the lurch without telling her. Turnabout is fair play.

Yeah that's a fair point, if there's no trust between them then whatever, gripe away.

Also hypothetically, I don't think anonymity is a good enough excuse for this sort of thing?

It's really, really common for people to vent about the annoying things and people in their life with friends. In Angie's case, her friends happen to be us on this Internet forum. This isn't about mocking her roommates, it's about dealing with the stressful living environment she's enduring in a very natural way. I lived with a bunch of theater students one summer and they'd have parties in the middle of the week, when I had to work, so it wasn't uncommon for me to text a friend complaining about my loud annoying roommates. This is just that. With the exception of the girl who, you know, tried to burn the apartment down, these haven't been personal anything--it's just general complaints.

I appreciate that you had a bad experience and it's left you with a unique perspective on this sort of thing, and I think you did raise a good point about the extent to which we use these stories as entertainment, but I don't think what she's doing is quite the same thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Donovan PuppyfuckerCreaganSkeith
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    it is the best

shared icecream, warming up cherry-pit bags, bringing home hot choco

much, much better than our cycles being 1 day apart so it was just, 2 weeks of one of us being miserable, which meant overall a large amount of time every month is grumpy.

basically, imagine if after your gf was done her period, you started yours. Getting it over with at the same time is much, much better. And Misery loves company

LiiyatyniclittlewrenUsagiMadEddyInfidelBogeyErin The Red
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I have moved from one unit to another in the building I'm living in. The guy below me plays video games, very loudly.

After work today I'm probably going to go downstairs and tell him that if he's going to play video games so loud the least he can do is invite me to play with him.

tynicBendery It Like BeckhamNijatemplewulf
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah fuzz. No one is saying you didn't have it tough, and it was shitty.

But it I was to throw out shitty analogies here, this is Angelina at the pub, blowing off steam about things that piss her off.

Your situation, would be akin to your roommates writing slam poetry about you and going in front of a big crowd and letting rip.

CelloMr FuzzbutttynicDonovan PuppyfuckerMadEddyCreaganvalhalla130Skeith
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    I have moved from one unit to another in the building I'm living in. The guy below me plays video games, very loudly.

After work today I'm probably going to go downstairs and tell him that if he's going to play video games so loud the least he can do is invite me to play with him.

Clean his clock on whatever he's playing to assert dominance.

Then pee on his rug.

HacksawNija
  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Yeah you guys are probably right, sorry for getting all worked up.

And just in case anyone was wondering what happened when I found out, I took photos of a bunch of filthy stuff they had done (there was a lot of it) and made them post my guest blog entry.

broken image link
    tynicAbdhyiusDesert LeviathanJoeUserProlegomenavalhalla130SkeithRawkking GoodguyShentemplewulfErin The Red
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    Part of me is like
    Eh I shouldn't post about this

But then I post about a lot of things and it makes me feel better so why not

Anyway
    For varieties of reasons and things I never dated until late, and by late I mean 26 (28 now)
    And by that I mean I never even attempted to ask anyone out or anything even in that realm

But I decided I oughta at some point before it's too late so I did, and went on various dates and some were good and some were bad and I had a few good ones but just because of people moving around / life in the way nothing that became more than a few dates

Anywho though, met a nice girl on Tinder this summer, went on a few dates, yadda yadda, took her to see Mad Max so she checked out
    And at the start, once I got past a few dates, I was like, very reluctant about this whole relationship stuff and protective of my time, especially as a very social person who likes to see lots of different friends, and unsure yadda yadda
    And also she started travelling for work to Virginia every week, because she worked in consulting

So we were not seeing each other often, but that was okay with me

I felt she liked me more than I did her for a while, but over time she grew on me and I think she is pretty great

But also there was the whole thing of her going to business school this year, and she is probably going to UCLA and moving out of the city in the late spring / early summer
    So I kind of knew there is an end point, and I don't get to see her super often anyway

And now she is worried about being sad because she is getting attached and likes me and hm
    And I like her too but ! I am more of the mindset of well, this is good, let's just enjoy it while we can and cross that bridge when it comes to it
    She is worried of just the emotions because she has the feels

And I feel bad and

Well, I dunno, we spent the weekend together and she texted me about these things after she got home last night because she wanted time to think about it before saying anything

But now I don't get to see her for a week or maybe 2 weeks cuz of travel so alas

Didn't get to chat in person

Well anyway

Dating is weird!

poo
    Abdhyiuschromdomvalhalla130
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I've not seen Mad Max. I'm the worst.

Shazkar ShadowstormOmnipotentBagelRainfallAbdhyiustynicDonovan PuppyfuckerSorcePinfeldorfMeeqeKwoaruMadEddyThat Dave FellaCreaganSkeithElbasunuTallaclasseetemplewulf
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

It's ok Liiya. You can see it. There are some plants.

Erin The Red
    Blake T wrote: »

It's ok Liiya. You can see it. There are some plants.

UM SPOILERS BLAKE!

;)

Blake TtynicCreagan
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah fuzz. No one is saying you didn't have it tough, and it was shitty.

But it I was to throw out shitty analogies here, this is Angelina at the pub, blowing off steam about things that piss her off.

Your situation, would be akin to your roommates writing slam poetry about you and going in front of a big crowd and letting rip.

Woman.

Whoa, man.

Whooooaaaa, man.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Pinfeldorfvalhalla130
    To clarify, I was agreeing to the "have not seen Mad Max" part, not the "I am the worst" part. Liiya is not the worst, she is the best.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Shazkar ShadowstormCreaganvalhalla130Rawkking Goodguy
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

It's a serious diagnosis but there is a cure

ftOqU21.png
    Sigh she is cool and I'm not looking forward to having to date and meet people again
    So I'd like to postpone that and not break up preemptively

poo
    Abdhyius
    Sigh she is cool and I'm not looking forward to having to date and meet people again

No idea what she thinks of this kind of thing, but I totes get you on this

ephemeral or not, it's better to enjoy it while it's happening and when it's over, just be sad that it's over but glad that it was.

ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »

No idea what she thinks of this kind of thing, but I totes get you on this

ephemeral or not, it's better to enjoy it while it's happening and when it's over, just be sad that it's over but glad that it was.

Yeah that's my perspective and point of view on this
    She is afraid of her emotions getting too strong and feeling too sad / hurt when it ends and I get being afraid of that

I will chat with her but I wished we got to chat bout it in person before she travelled this week

Oh well hopefully all works out

poo
    valhalla130
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular

Kochikens wrote: »
    it is the best

shared icecream, warming up cherry-pit bags, bringing home hot choco

much, much better than our cycles being 1 day apart so it was just, 2 weeks of one of us being miserable, which meant overall a large amount of time every month is grumpy.

basically, imagine if after your gf was done her period, you started yours. Getting it over with at the same time is much, much better. And Misery loves company

Well that makes perfect sense and I really should have worked that out on my own.

• OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular

And just in case anyone was wondering what happened when I found out, I took photos of a bunch of filthy stuff they had done (there was a lot of it) and made them post my guest blog entry.

It's good for us to remember from the to time though that there is a line with this kind of stuff. At the end of the day, this is just a group of people talking about their lives.

But there the searchable and forever nature of doing so on the public internet does make it subtly different from a group of mates at the pub. Because at the end of the day, when we gripe to friends in real life, you know who's hearing it and it goes away at the end of the night. Where as here, you never know who else might overhear it, or when.

One of the reasons I post here, and avoid Facebook is that the semi-anonymous nature of this place means I can vent without identifying the people involved. Similarly, I find the fact this is an open place rather than a closed private group discourages the worst of the vindictive spiral that can happen when we're all semi-anonymous.

I don't think any lines have been crossed here, but we were probably getting pretty close, and it's good to remember that the line is there.

I'm sorry you had such a shitty experience Fiz, and thanks for pulling us up before things got nasty.

orthanc
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Chicken ...Biscuits?

Sounds like cat food.

Sorry British folk, that you don't understand the deliciousness that an American means when we say biscuit.

Like, you take the feeling of a warm hug from someone who truly loves and cares about you, and turn it into a soft buttery bread.

Then to make it even better, you take that fluffy manifestation of savory joy, add a gently spiced fried chicken breast, and make it a sandwich.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    MadEddyTomantavalhalla130Erin The Redcabsy
    They're like scones.

Veldrintynic
  • OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    They're like scones.

I always thought they were dumplings.

orthanc
    edited January 2016
    I have a date on thursday! I mean it's the same date that was supposed to happen today but yay.

that's a pretty boss move right theah

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    They're like scones.

Maybe the scones we have over here are different, but I find scones to be a lot heavier than biscuits. Hmm, this warrants investigation...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Scones are definitely denser than biscuits

poo
    Dunno wiki says they're like scones, I've never had an american biscuit.

• AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    Well! Yeah I just want to say that I'm not acting like I'm their best friends. I didn't see them all weekend until last night because they were out and before the holidays they made a new whatsapp group with the other girls they will be living with and didn't invite me in to it so I don't know their plans. I now eat dinner in my room quite often because these other girls are there eating dinner too and so there are no seats for me. It's a pretty obvious divide in the flat, and I'm probably happier for it. I will try to avoid posting about them again unless someone tries to burn the place down again. Or they see my posts, because hell that would be interesting!

Orthanc
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Love thread, which non-australians here have had damper?

lonelyahava
    Dunno wiki says they're like scones, I've never had an american biscuit.

I've been thinking about it, and I'm not sure I could think of a better analogue, to be honest. They're at least similar. I really want a scone now, though.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Liiya
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I haven't, but it sounds similar to flatbread that you find around the mediterranean area / Africa like pide for example?

Huh?

AbdhyiusUsagi
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damper_(food)

Not so much a flat bread as a flat loaf:

13917_l.jpg

Donovan Puppyfucker on
    Veldrintynic
    It's more of a dense soda bread.

And it's amazing with golden syrup.

And it's 1:15am and I really want some.

Donovan Puppyfucker
    I had amazing lemon ricotta pancakes yest for brunch omg

poo
    Rainfall
    Countries of the world, send me your regional bread products.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

littlewrenMadEddytemplewulfErin The Red
    Come over here, Bagel.

I will cook you some damper.

I will bake it in a rusty iron pot, nestled upon the trees and pure Australian earth and I'll probably burn it a little and you'll love it.

Donovan Puppyfucker
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Chicken scones sound pretty unappealing to me so I'm gonna assume biscuits are not much like scones

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    My favourite regional bread thing here is stockbrot aka stick bread. It's bread on a stick. You cook it on the braai. If you put it on when your meat is ready then the bread is done by the time you finish eating your meat and pap and then you eat fresh baked bread with syrup and its divine.

Donovan Puppyfucker
    Chicken scones sound pretty unappealing to me so I'm gonna assume biscuits are not much like scones

Flavor-wise they're really not. Also the biscuits you'd use for a sandwich like that are kind of flaky, which doesn't really describe any scones I'm familiar with.
    Come over here, Bagel.

I will cook you some damper.

I will bake it in a rusty iron pot, nestled upon the trees and pure Australian earth and I'll probably burn it a little and you'll love it.

Sounds great.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Erin The Red
    One of my course mates is lying about his age to the ladies in our class, different ages depending on the lady he's speaking to.

ToxCreagan
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My favourite regional bread thing here is stockbrot aka stick bread. It's bread on a stick. You cook it on the braai. If you put it on when your meat is ready then the bread is done by the time you finish eating your meat and pap and then you eat fresh baked bread with syrup and its divine.

In Germany Stockbrot is mainly used with open camp fires or easter fires. Funnily enough the english wikipedia article for it (twisted bread) has a direct link to damper.

Brainleech
This discussion has been closed.