As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Witness] Released! Get lost on a mysterious puzzle island on PC and PS4!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I don't want to spoil it for you...But there is another "theme" all over it.
    how are your graphic settings? I wouldn't be surprised if it made it harder

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    hrm
    find the puzzle is not an acceptable puzzle
    jblow-chan pls

jungle? I liked the puzzles themselves but that area is stupid
    No.
    Not the +1 puzzles, I'm ok with that.
    it's a timed bit where you have to solve a sequence of randomized puzzles. The final puzzles in the sequence are in a randomized maze and you have to find them and its fucking awful.

For that maze,
    the fourth puzzle, the one on the box, is a map to them. They'll be where the dots are.
    Once I learned that the difficulty was down entirely to the game's habit of throwing clearly impossible puzzles into the mix.

• Options
    TheflyingassTheflyingass Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

I just figured it out.
    Suns, screens...

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I dunno. I just leave them on whatever the "Use Defaults" option gives me. My PC is a couple years old so I'm going to assume it's not maxed out.

I'm going to be very upset if I find out graphics settings are making it harder than intended, though.

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    I dunno. I just leave them on whatever the "Use Defaults" option gives me. My PC is a couple years old so I'm going to assume it's not maxed out.

I'm going to be very upset if I find out graphics settings are making it harder than intended, though.
    OK, I see now.
    Definitely another case of "move to the magic angle and notice the detail." :/

• Options
    BaalorBaalor Registered User regular
    End game question/speculation
    Have anyone noticed if the laser beams pulse from the moment you activate them or if something else triggers it later? Pretty much all my beams are pulsing except 2 or 3. However half of them pulse to yellow and the other half to red.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    hrm
    jblow-chan pls

No.
    it's a timed bit where you have to solve a sequence of randomized puzzles. The final puzzles in the sequence are in a randomized maze and you have to find them and its fucking awful.

For that maze,
    the fourth puzzle, the one on the box, is a map to them. They'll be where the dots are.
    Once I learned that the difficulty was down entirely to the game's habit of throwing clearly impossible puzzles into the mix.
    That's interesting but I'm not sure it's helpful, because I don't think I'll be able to keep that straight in my head. Also, I thought that puzzle only has two dots - are there only two puzzles in the maze? I've finished two puzzles in the maze before.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    When you know the a puzzle's ruleset but still can't figure it out.
    96923.gif

D083uBC.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mountain stuff:
    Those fucking column puzzles holy fucking shit why my brain...

Taking me foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrr to beat this game.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    Really liking this game. Often coming across solutions and wondering "how the hell did I spot that mechanic?!"

Hating the jungle puzzles though.
    I admit I'm simply not that good at picking out the sounds in general, but once they start overlaying several bird calls I just can't be bothered anymore. Specifically I'm at the fourth board with different size hexagons. I get that it's tied to the noises, but there are two bird songs overlapping making it a pain in the ass to distinguish. And if I get it wrong the board turns off. I'm incredibly tempted just to google this one.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    Really liking this game. Often coming across solutions and wondering "how the hell did I spot that mechanic?!"

Hating the jungle puzzles though.
    I admit I'm simply not that good at picking out the sounds in general, but once they start overlaying several bird calls I just can't be bothered anymore. Specifically I'm at the fourth board with different size hexagons. I get that it's tied to the noises, but there are two bird songs overlapping making it a pain in the ass to distinguish. And if I get it wrong the board turns off. I'm incredibly tempted just to google this one.
    The different sizes are important in telling you which song to pay attention to. For that one, one of the songs has a "note" that's held longer than the rest to correspond with the longer hexagon.

For these, I found it was helpful to grab a piece of paper and write down the pitches of the notes as I could pick them out.

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    300 + 28 at the moment. Taking a break because I have a headache of thinking too much :lol:

Did a victory dance when I manage to figure out the ruleset for the third hedgemaze :biggrin:

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm sitting pretty at 171 +3

Addition is difficult and those +'s are going to become a thing of nightmares.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Place with plants in pots:
    Colored glass. :-[

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    372 + 8 here. Had to leave for work, while on the last pillar in the bonsai shrine. Pretty sure I know what I'm missing.

ContentContext on
  • Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    It's the small touches I really like. For example, the lake next to town:
    The candles seem to represent the beams. Every time you start one a candle lights up. Haven't been able to see if it's a map or not.
    Edit: And I only just noticed the small statue holding a box/candle representing the mountain.

altid on
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    It's the small touches I really like. For example, the lake next to town:
    The candles seem to represent the beams. Every time you start one a candle lights up. Haven't been able to see if it's a map or not.
    Edit: And I only just noticed the small statue holding a box/candle representing the mountain.

The Lake is sick.
    Closed clams represent Honeycomb videos you haven't unlocked yet, white/yellow flowers are the audio logs, sprinklers are the obelisks... etc.

This whole game is full of tiny easter eggs and details that really breathe life into it. I love it.

• Options
    So in the basement of the desert structure thing:
    The various panels to raise/lower the... fluid(?). Is there a specific difference between any of them? Or are there just multiple sets for convenience?

• Options
    Zerozaki IshikiZerozaki Ishiki Registered User regular
    hrm
    jblow-chan pls

No.

For that maze,
    That's interesting but I'm not sure it's helpful, because I don't think I'll be able to keep that straight in my head. Also, I thought that puzzle only has two dots - are there only two puzzles in the maze? I've finished two puzzles in the maze before.
    There are only two puzzles in the maze. The last two puzzles are on pillars outside.

The map is more helpful with some layouts than others. Sometimes you'll know they're both on the outside or both to the right and that's enough to find them quick. Sometimes they're miles apart and you're fucked so you might as well start over.

• Options
    This wide panel in the desert basement is not fun.

• Options
    Found a panel on the ruined ship. I don't understand what's going on with it at all. I'm wondering if I missed something elsewhere that would explain it.

Also still no idea how to get anything started in the bamboo and jungle area. :/ 368 +43

• Options
    Beat the game with 440ish solved.

Ending:
    Anyone wanna tell me what the ending audio cues are about? Seems really lame that the game literally just restarts over once you hop into the Wonkavator, but I guess that goes with the overall "nothing matters really" tone.

Challenge:
    Someone said that the total regular panels was something like 523? Are there really 90ish puzzles in this underground cave area? I don't care much about the obelisks just yet, I'm focusing on getting the regular panels first.

• Options
    Also, in the desert...
    No idea what turning the dark cloud white does for me...

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Fucking jungle.
    I ran through that place quite a few times times and never noticed the tiny little path that actually leads to some panels until now. "Find the puzzle" eludes me yet again. :/

At least now I can actually do something there.

These birds are going to make me go insane.
    I can't figure out what they want from me when there are like 3 damn bird noises piled up.

forty on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Endgame
    Whew, finally beat the first room inside the mountain. Got a couple of the color panels down too, but that's it from me for the night. JONATHAN BLOW STOP BREAKING ALL YOUR RULES.

p.s. keep breaking all your rules

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Man, this is so pretty on the PS4. I just started it and played maybe 30minutes or so. Managed to get that first (opening area spoiler)
    audio file with a quote from Einstein. Felt so good working out how the mechanic worked on the gate there. No idea what the puzzle screen on the floor does though. I solved it and nothing.

Also found the safe with a dream hexagonal puzzle route. That'll come in handy later I'm sure.

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular

This was driving me insane last night, but the satisfaction of finally getting it was awesome.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    ending spoilers
    I am pretty sure "a star at dawn" is an oblique reference to how to get an ending, which means all the vague sayings in the ending probably point to secrets of one form or another

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    nwrabenwrabe Insidious Squid Registered User regular
    Also, in the desert...
    It's needed for one of the +1 metapuzzles. I've been looking everywhere for how to change it. Guess I'll have to comb the desert now.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Beat the game with 440ish solved.

Ending:
    Anyone wanna tell me what the ending audio cues are about? Seems really lame that the game literally just restarts over once you hop into the Wonkavator, but I guess that goes with the overall "nothing matters really" tone.

Challenge:
    Someone said that the total regular panels was something like 523? Are there really 90ish puzzles in this underground cave area? I don't care much about the obelisks just yet, I'm focusing on getting the regular panels first.

Ending:
    It is apparently a reference to Buddhism, specifically the Diamond Sutra, which details a conversation between Buddha and a "senior monk, Subhūti."

Some bits from the wikipedia article:
    ...the Diamond sutra is: "an existential project aiming at achieving and embodying a non-discriminatory basis for knowledge" or "the emancipation from the fundamental ignorance of not knowing how to experience reality as it is."
    ...The Buddha is generally thought to be trying to help Subhūti unlearn his preconceived, limited notions of the nature of reality. Emphasizing that all phenomena are ultimately illusory, he teaches that true enlightenment cannot be grasped until one has set aside attachment to them in any form.

and namely, this last bit which seems to have several translations:
    All conditioned phenomena

Are like a dream, an illusion, a bubble, a shadow,
    Like dew or a flash of lightning;
    Thus we shall perceive them.”

So it's apparently all about the impermanence of the universe, and that understanding the significance of that reality is to have wisdom.

:eek:

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    DarkMortainiusDarkMortainius Registered User regular
    So, apparently I locked myself out of the tetris Marsh:
    If you take the ferry bridge across, don't open the back door and then step off the rotating bridge while it is rotating, it is possible to lock yourself out of that area. Sounds like they are working on a fix, but this has killed any momentum I had in this game. I've already got enough solved to finish the game, I may just do that and start over, as I'd like to 100% it if I can.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    OK so I'm in the flower house and I just got to
    the elevator.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I had to put the game down for a bit. I know what I must do, but I fear I may be inadequate to the task.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    If you take the ferry bridge across, don't open the back door and then step off the rotating bridge while it is rotating, it is possible to lock yourself out of that area. Sounds like they are working on a fix, but this has killed any momentum I had in this game. I've already got enough solved to finish the game, I may just do that and start over, as I'd like to 100% it if I can.

Can't you fix
    the rotating bridge by climbing on the nearby rocks with the statue?

From there you can look down on the | - | puzzle and fix it.

You can always access that spot from the boat dock, but ya you'd be pretty stuck if you found the marsh before the boat.

Noggin on
  • Options
    DarkMortainiusDarkMortainius Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

Can't you fix

You can always access that spot from the boat dock, but ya you'd be pretty stuck if you found the marsh before the boat.

I'll take a look when I get home later, but I think it's facing the wrong direction. I tried fixing the ferry bridge by trying to solve it from across the water, but it was too tiny and the controls weren't fine enough for me to get it.

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

This was driving me insane last night, but the satisfaction of finally getting it was awesome.
    For me, I dunno. It was more like relief, but I didn't ever feel really good about it.
    More just frustrated with the game, like "there, I finally stood in the right magic spots to see enough of the reflection glare to get it." Actually I don't think I ever saw 100% of the path. I got most of it and just winged it for one section. Maybe I missed something, but it worked.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    nwrabe wrote: »
    Also, in the desert...
    It's needed for one of the +1 metapuzzles. I've been looking everywhere for how to change it. Guess I'll have to comb the desert now.
    "We ain't found shit!"

Is it for the one that supposedly takes an hour to do? If so, fuck that.

forty on
  • Options
    Noggin wrote: »

Can't you fix

I don't think you have quite enough line of sight to restore the | - | bridge from the rocks above, but maybe it was just me not being able to find the magic angle.

I'm wondering if he can boat back there. I did the same thing in the marsh and was afraid I locked myself out, but it was after I spawned the boat in the marsh, and I was able to get back in there by boat later. Is it possible to make a boat appear elsewhere if you don't spawn the marsh one first?

I guess he said "Sounds like they are working on a fix," so I wonder if this is actually a "permanently locked out" issue (pretty bad that they never caught it if it is) or if it's just a "we want you to be able to get back in there without having to use the boat" thing.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Re: Marsh lockout
    It seems like I wasn't clear about which rocks I meant. Not the ones where you start up the mountain then U-turn onto a path that dead ends looking down on the marsh. That spot is indeed blocked from reaching the end of the panel.

I meant, there's some rocks in the water, right next to the rotating bridge, you can just step onto them right from the metal platform. There's like a cage or something on it, with a small statue on top. From there you're only like 1 foot higher than the bridge control, looking at it from the side.

also, yes, you can summon the boat to whatever dock you want.

Noggin on
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So I fairly stumped by one of the little hedge mazes in the castle.
    I don't really want a full on spoiler but maybe a good shove in the right direction.
    I completed the one where the correct path is to avoid crossing the grass growing in the maze. But this next one doesn't have any features I can find that set it apart from the rest. It's just green shrubs...
    Is there some feature to the bushes I'm missing or do I need to view it from elsewhere, I tried looking down on it from the rampart. I dunno. I just don't see anything distinct.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    So I fairly stumped by one of the little hedge mazes in the castle.
    I don't really want a full on spoiler but maybe a good shove in the right direction.
    I completed the one where the correct path is to avoid crossing the grass growing in the maze. But this next one doesn't have any features I can find that set it apart from the rest. It's just green shrubs...
    Is there some feature to the bushes I'm missing or do I need to view it from elsewhere, I tried looking down on it from the rampart. I dunno. I just don't see anything distinct.

Hint:
    You're absolutely right. You can't see anything that stands out.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.