As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Finally downloaded and ready to go.

I do love that there is only 2 achievements. That happily turns off a part of my gaming brain I dont enjoy anyway.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Cruising through...for about an hour. These blue puzzles overlooking the water are getting me.

It seems obvious, and I think I know what I'm supposed to do with the last couple of them, but nothing is working.

Time to take a break for the night.

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    I started playing this with my wife tonight and we had a blast. The only problem is now we want to play the whole thing together and she has way less time than I do for games. And I can't stop thinking about solving more puzzles.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    This game owns.

I can't find a notebook in my apartment so I'm gonna grab a tablet of engineering paper from the office instead.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Oh hey

Inside the windmill spoilers
    When I was playing earlier, I found the hexagonal puzzle that you saw the solution to behind the white door, but I must have done it wrong earlier

When I did it right and the FMV hit, oh man

Fully onboard

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I have found an area where I know what the concept is, but it's something that I'm absolutely terrible. I guess I could try coming back to it later.
    Barcardi wrote: »

I do love that there is only 2 achievements. That happily turns off a part of my gaming brain I dont enjoy anyway.

The odd thing is that the PS4 version has 14 trophies. I guess Playstation has a minimum number and Steam doesn't.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    I have found an area where I know what the concept is, but it's something that I'm absolutely terrible. I guess I could try coming back to it later.

The odd thing is that the PS4 version has 14 trophies. I guess Playstation has a minimum number and Steam doesn't.

Depending on if a game has a Platinum or not, each game has one of two "values," and that value must be reached

Usually a game with a full trophy set will have the Platinum, one or two golds or so, a few silvers, and a shit ton of bronze

The Witness forgoes all the bronze trophies and distributes that value among silver and gold, which it has more of than titles that have a ton of bronze

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Steam probably has an identical number of achievements

When Steam achievements are hidden, they are straight-up unable to be even seen until you get them

You don't even get a hint that there are even other achievements

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Ok (scenery and objects in the environment spoiler)
    The fucking statues or...whatever they are are so unsettling.

I just found a dog statue and I'm super creeped out.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Fuck I am not used to ps4 and may have accidentally uploaded a screenshot of a thing while trying to just keep it for myself.

I apologize sincerely if it actually shared with anyone here and you saw it. I honestly don't know how the sharing stuff works. I tried deleting it and hopefully that worked.

Try to ignore or delete it if it posted. I won't push that button again.

rhylith on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Played it after the gym until now, my hottest of takes. This game is awesome. The way these things work is just.... goddamn.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Really? I found that and felt kinda sad.

• Options
    rhylith wrote: »

Really? I found that and felt kinda sad.
    It might be because I went to the top of that mountain first and there's more statues there that could lead to my reaction.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    In this time where many games will waste over a minute on loading and logos, it's really nice how fast this game starts.
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Steam probably has an identical number of achievements

When Steam achievements are hidden, they are straight-up unable to be even seen until you get them

You don't even get a hint that there are even other achievements

That's not entirely correct. While hidden achievements aren't listed in your own list, they are shown in the global achievement stats for that game. Although without the description if you haven't unlocked it yourself. And they're always included when Steam says how many achievements there are in total.

Also, it says at the bottom of the list how many hidden achievements you have left. I don't know when that was added, I hadn't seen it before today. It's not just for The Witness, I also have it on Batman Arkham Knight.

• Options
    I feel like by the time my time with The Witness is over, I'll have looked at hours of a pretty game and seen a bunch of terminals I have no clue how to solve

This game is so beyond me

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    These motherFUCKING white triangle puzzles. I solved like 10 of them and have no fucking clue how.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Fuck this game is real good

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    This game is p. good

There's one puzzle that I think is a perspective/shadow thing, and I can't for the fucking life of me get it lined up right, but everything else has been pretty dang fun

If we're talking about the same thing, here's some tiered hints
    Consider what roles everything has to play
    Move things out of the way that can be moved, ignore what can be ignored
    Your own shadow blocks one of the puzzles, take a step back

The doorway in blocks another, go reopen it

Tree branches fail the puzzle, but the iron bars are safe passage

Nah, I got through all of those easily enough. This is in the same general area, but a little higher up.
    pW3bHvk.jpg?1

I've had three or four false, "Oh, I think I get it!" moments on it. It's driving me bananas.

I figured it out. A really dumb bit of needless ambiguity in scale was throwing me off.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    These motherFUCKING white triangle puzzles. I solved like 10 of them and have no fucking clue how.

I've solved a couple of puzzles with the Tetris block symbols and I am not at all sure what I did in them

I tried to replicate what I thought I did in later puzzles, but I was apparently way off

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

I've solved a couple of puzzles with the Tetris block symbols and I am not at all sure what I did in them

I tried to replicate what I thought I did in later puzzles, but I was apparently way off

Exactly the same with these white triangle puzzles. Thought I had it on lock but nooooooo.

My wife is having an impossible time watching me play (probably because she played some earlier yeah that's the ticket it's not because I suck or anything). I foresee A LOT of "oh my god just fucking go left and then down Jesus Christ I can't stand watching you do this" from her.

Also, oh my GOD what a gorgeous game.

• Options
    I feel like I just don't know enough about how the game works

For example, this puzzle I'm stuck on, I don't even know how to label it for spoilers. Purple puzzle?
    There's one of the "separate white and black tiles" puzzles that you have to walk on, but one of the glass panes is out. Is that glass pane something I'll be able to fix? Or am I supposed to be able to solve it without it? Because I don't see how it's possible to separate the black and white tiles on the right side without that pane being there

This game makes me super anxious

• Options
    seasleepyseasleepy Registered User regular
    Where is the Tetris block tutorial?
    The boat map was helpful in tracking down some of the other symbols but not that one. Is it the treehouse? I haven't been over there yet.

Steam | Nintendo: seasleepy | PSN: seasleepy1
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    seasleepy wrote: »
    Where is the Tetris block tutorial?
    The boat map was helpful in tracking down some of the other symbols but not that one. Is it the treehouse? I haven't been over there yet.
    it's a swampy area to the right of the big castle with the hedge mazes

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i'm stuck on the third hedge maze
    the first one is simple because there's only one path through the maze and you replicate that

the second one you can examine the grass to find the most heavily-trafficked path and that's the solution

the third puzzle just has gravel on the ground and i don't see any indications of what the correct path is

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    i'm stuck on the third hedge maze
    the first one is simple because there's only one path through the maze and you replicate that

the second one you can examine the grass to find the most heavily-trafficked path and that's the solution

the third puzzle just has gravel on the ground and i don't see any indications of what the correct path is

a hint if you want it
    listen, don't look

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Bashing my head against this last lambda puzzle upstairs in the warehouse, feel like I have all the concepts but can't get it. The grid is too small for variations, it can't be done!

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Even the Tetris block tutorials are wicked hard

Gave up on that glass pane for now

Also I secretly wish this game had a fast forward button

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Well... my brain has been destroyed.

But i saw a fake koifish and got a laser. 1 laser. No idea what it does, but I have activated a laser. Also im going to town on that 2001 thing.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I'm about at 162 +7, finished the desert and the peninsula and I'm allllmost done with the forest. Have done about half the quarry and some of the tetris area.

Some of the biggest oh shit moments for me so far:

the + puzzles for lack of a better term.
    the people I've been comparing notes with and I have just been calling them sparkles. When I was trying to figure out the rock puzzles looking over the lake, saw that big dark circle in the boathouse and thought "hrmm, what if I do..." and then it started to LIGHT UP. Holy shit, so cool.

Underneath the windmill
    I was not prepared in the slightest for what would happen when I input the hex code.

and of course, I don't even know how to label this one but
    THE BOAT HOLY SHIT THE BOAT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    How are you able to tell how many puzzles you've done so far

Also regarding your last spoiler
    I found a big red shipwrecked boat, had an audio log on it and a massive square puzzle...that I feel in no way equipped to solve. Same boat?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    on PS4 your save file will tell you how many panels you've completed

as to your question in the spoiler: nope

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Then I am ending today with only 45 panels solved

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Calling it a night with 116+7 puzzles solved and 2 areas completed. Still a whole bunch of puzzle vocabulary to learn

I'm going to have nightmares about that lambda puzzle I had to abandon

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Is the +7 in the puzzle count
    the number of black pillar symbols?

broken image link
  • Options
    I think so

Steam ID
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    fuck, the desert area. I thought I beat it but unless I'm missing something at the very end I guess I didn't beat it?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    god DAMN this windmill puzzle
    realtalk spoilers
    I keep getting stuck on the second blade when I try to transfer to the leftmost orange line. I'll never get the 4th windmill blade :(

and I don't trust that solitary fucking rain cloud

I KNOW YOU'RE A PART OF A PUZZLE, MISTER

edit edit: also the freakiest thing about this game: your character's shadow is my shadow

my hair's silhouette looks exactly like it, I COULDN'T DEAL when I first saw it

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Fine

I guess I'll demand this from my brothers for my birthday.

• Options
    By the end of this game my room is gonna be covered in pictures connected by red string like I'm a conspiracy theorist in a movie or something.