As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Spoiler (ok to click if your puzzle count is +something)
    It is so incredibly satisfying when these things click into place.

Though finding all of them on the way to 100% is probably going to be hard.

broken image link
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i finally realized what this game reminds me of

Antichamber

not in like style or presentation or anything

but just the feeling of exploring this big space and fniding puzzles that you don't know how the fuck to solve but you just keep going and slowly poking and prodding at stuff until you get it to pop

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Alright, waiting till my girlfriend gets home to be the chronicler then we're diving in.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'm having a lot of fun exploring this game and I'm glad it's really so much more than "just mazes".

I'm up to 78 I think but already found some mysteries to obsess over, like in that shoreline building with the pots
    In the very back, when you complete the wall and it opens up to lay flat, revealing a rectangular panel that's blacked out with a wire running down into the water. Especially because the final panel could be completed two ways.

Or by the windmill
    After solving a bunch of the apple tree panels, the last pink wire seems to just disappear into the brush by the steps.

I'll have to get a notebook, just to make sure I don't forget to check back on everything.

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Small tip: When you're at a series of screens right next to each other, you can swap between them with the right stick or the shoulder buttons.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to see your solved count on Steam?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Go to the load game screen.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I dreamt about this game. It's going to be a long day of work waiting to get back to it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    I'm having a lot of fun exploring this game and I'm glad it's really so much more than "just mazes".

I'm up to 78 I think but already found some mysteries to obsess over, like in that shoreline building with the pots
    In the very back, when you complete the wall and it opens up to lay flat, revealing a rectangular panel that's blacked out with a wire running down into the water. Especially because the final panel could be completed two ways.

Or by the windmill
    After solving a bunch of the apple tree panels, the last pink wire seems to just disappear into the brush by the steps.

I'll have to get a notebook, just to make sure I don't forget to check back on everything.

I know what that first thing is for and oh man it's so cool.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I dreamt about this game. It's going to be a long day of work waiting to get back to it

I didn't dream about but I've definitely been thinking of it all morning

As soon as I get home and finish up some work I'm getting right back to it

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    God damn these color puzzles

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular

Yeah I went to bed mad last night because of that fucking flower house

• Options
    I've figured out that the colors are RGBCMYK, and since you can't isolate all the colors I'm assuming you have to group them based on what colors can be mixed to create what, i.e. you can group green, blue, and cyan

Where I'm mixed up is I'm not sure if you have to isolate black or if you can ignore the black spaces

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    See this hasn't become an obsession of mine yet

But I DO think it's really cool and wanna see more

I really don't think I'm smart enough for this game, though

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
    I'm only a few hours in and already taking pictures of puzzles with my iPad and scribbling on them for solutions

• Options
    My mom is now playing the witness

• Options
    I've figured out that the colors are RGBCMYK, and since you can't isolate all the colors I'm assuming you have to group them based on what colors can be mixed to create what, i.e. you can group green, blue, and cyan

Where I'm mixed up is I'm not sure if you have to isolate black or if you can ignore the black spaces
    You at the elevator?
    I solved that without really thinking about how colors work.
    I wrote down what colors each tile was at each floor and used that to figure out which were actually the same.

• Options
    My mom is now playing the witness

I actually do think this game has the exact same kind of mass appeal as Myst did

That iPad version should be huuuuuuuuge, provided it's not still $40

More than $5 for an iOS game is very hard to swallow for most people

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

You at the elevator?
    I solved that without really thinking about how colors work.
    I wrote down what colors each tile was at each floor and used that to figure out which were actually the same.

I think I'm in a slightly different spot in the same area but maybe I should check te environment a bit OH GODDAMMIT JONATHAN BLOW

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I feel like I just don't know enough about how the game works

For example, this puzzle I'm stuck on, I don't even know how to label it for spoilers. Purple puzzle?
    There's one of the "separate white and black tiles" puzzles that you have to walk on, but one of the glass panes is out. Is that glass pane something I'll be able to fix? Or am I supposed to be able to solve it without it? Because I don't see how it's possible to separate the black and white tiles on the right side without that pane being there

This game makes me super anxious
    You don't need the glass pane to solve it. The trick is remembering that the blacks and whites just need to be separated from each other, they don't have to be connected to themselves, and that the middle of board looks like it's out because there's black paint on it but it actually works just fine.

Personally I'm stuck on the second panel on the second row of the Tetris piece tutorial.
    It's two rows of three, you start in the bottom left corner and you have to make both a corner piece and a square and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do both without crossing the stream.

And it looks so simple!

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    That's the same Tetris panel I'm stuck on

Or

I was

I couldn't figure that tutorial puzzle out but figured out the actual puzzle to cross the river so

Oops?

• Options
    David_T wrote: »
    Personally I'm stuck on the second panel on the second row of the Tetris piece tutorial.
    It's two rows of three, you start in the bottom left corner and you have to make both a corner piece and a square and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do both without crossing the stream.

And it looks so simple!

Hint:
    You can combine pieces.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Man, between reading some of this and the giantbombcast I'm completely sold. I need more time in the day!

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

And it looks so simple!

Hint:
    You can combine pieces.

When I finally realized this i said "Oh shiiiit" out loud.

I love, love love the organic, carefully managed way the game prompts the player to expand or deepen their knowledge of the systems in play

Someone said it's like a metroidvania where instead of power ups you gain understanding. A perfect description.

• Options
    Where is the tutorial for the little flywheel shapes?

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Sorry, third panel.

Edit: Oooh!

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Where is the tutorial for the little flywheel shapes?
    I don't know offhand which one you mean but if you look at the map of the island on the boat's navigation panel it shows what symbols are associated with that area on there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I dunno why
    that boat
    isn't right at the beginning, it would save a lot of aimless wandering.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Cabezone wrote: »
    I dunno why that boat isn't right at the beginning, it would save a lot of aimless wandering.

pretty sure the aimless wandering is the entire point

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    You guys should probably put that in spoilers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    You guys should probably put that in spoilers

For sure
    Finding the boat was a huge, pleasant surprise and I freaked out when it emerged.

• Options

Wait wait wait

Am I gonna get boned by my colorblindness here

• Options
    edited January 2016

Wait wait wait

Maybe.

E: http://kotaku.com/colorblind-and-hearing-impaired-players-wont-be-able-to-1755459642

rhylith on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

Wait wait wait

colorblind Jeff Gerstmann of GiantBomb mentioned having trouble with some color puzzles and needing to get external help for them. He completed enough to "beat" the game without those, so I'm not sure what portion of the puzzles could be an issue

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I love the quote at the bottom of that article.

They tried to put in a puzzle that only colorblind people could solve but there were too many types of colorblindness so
    they must made the color-based puzzles skippable.

rhylith on
  • Options
    There is something about the Tetris block puzzles that I am just straight up not getting

The entrance to the quarry looks completely impossible

• Options
    There is something about the Tetris block puzzles that I am just straight up not getting

Yeah I got stumped on the same spot.

• Options

Yeah!

There's another way in, so I haven't gotten too hung up on it

But it's still driving me bonkers

• Options
    Every time I think I have the Tetris puzzles figured out, I come to another one where I either go "but that's impossible!" or "I'm doing it! I'm doing what you want! Why are you dinging me?".

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    holy SHIT those are tiny audiologs

i am going to miss all of these

liEt3nH.png