As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars [Galaxy of Heroes]. Why Yes, Kylo, You Can Be on Vader's Team.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    I, too, avoid the gear packs. I have some high-level gear pieces in the 600s, and I know my luck would cause me to get those items instead of what I need. I've bought two mod packs. The first one was amazingly successful. The second not so much. Any packs I have purchased multiple times seems to follow the same pattern. I have zero way of proving this, but my theory is that the first pack of a type you buy is really good while subsequent packs of the same time are less effective. It's like gambling: they suck you in with a big win and then slowly devour your soul.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Given I am in the process of semi working on a bunch of random dudes to bolster various speciality groups the gear packs have overall been pretty solid for me. Somebody likely needs what is coming out of those or if not can share them to guildies.

Early on buying some chromium packs for characters can help jump start your roster. Some guys are pretty useful even at 4 stars like I got some serious work out of darth maul for a long time until my roster started getting build up to speed. Eventually though chromium only characters simply are not useful unless you are the most whale of whales. Any hero you cannot reliably get shards for is of minimal usefulness.

• Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    So the rogue one packs, they seem kind of shitty to me.

Almost every pack in this game is shitty. It's better in almost every case to just buy what you need with crystals. 1400 crystals may seem like a lot to get some Purple Stun Cuffs but when you look at the number of times you would need to buy packs to get the same thing - along with the garbage you didn't need - the savings is obvious.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's efficient, but I like spending crystals on cantina energy refreshes once a day. It's just buying more game time, and it always lets me specifically pursue the goal I've got at that moment both for farming a cantina shard/mod AND for buying from the cantina shop.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    The cantina shop is definitely a stingy one. QGJ took forever, and now so is the Jawa Scavenger. He's the last Jawa I need to get raid ready for the Tank.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I don't understand how its supposed to take less than a month to activate a single character off shards. I can grind the same mission over and over and still only get 0-1 shards per day. Like I am still only 1/8 of the way to unlocking Rey and I have been grinding her mission non-stop since it unlocked...

I feel like I am missing something because I don't see a solid way to add new characters to my roster, much less reliably promote the ones I do have.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Sort of like how the log-in bonus this month is, what? 30 Boba Fett shards? And it takes 50 to activate him?

Or a few months ago, when it was Anakin shards? I'm still 10 or so away from activating him.

• Options
    Sort of like how the log-in bonus this month is, what? 30 Boba Fett shards? And it takes 50 to activate him?

Or a few months ago, when it was Anakin shards? I'm still 10 or so away from activating him.

Its 80 to activate him...

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    There's basically tiers of availability.

- Packs only, sometimes purchasable with crystals in the shipment shop. Basically 'whales only', but sometimes things eventually move down the chain from here as new things are added.
    - Light/Dark/Cantina missions only. Farmable, but very slowly, highly RNG dependent.
    - Arena/Cantina/Galactic War Shop purchasable. Depending on one's arena rank, this is generally 5-10 shards per day for a character (getting 200-600 shards from rank, plus 200 for the daily). Ability to complete the Galactic War isn't a given, but accruing some points isn't too hard once it unlocks.

Plus the Guild shop (needs a guild, not very fast to accrue points, limited character selection), and they just added the Ship shipment area, which has some characters as well.

And the shard shop, but early on I imagine most people won't start racking those points up for a while.

Also some of these aren't available to start. The Galactic War comes available at a later level as I recall, shard shop starts off locked, etc.

Some characters can be found in multiple places. Just farming up in one spot is often a multi-month endeavor, but if it can be found in two or more, it's not quite as arduous. Example; farming the Ewok Healer (whatever it's called) just from the missions is really slow, but buying some shards of his from the guild shop can speed that up, at the cost of not having those points for other characters or for gear.

It's highly RNG dependent, plus requires managing limited resources towards often mutually exclusive goals. Example: I was spending Galactic War points on characters I already have maxed to spend shard shop points on General Grievous, which is slow as fuck but I did unlock him. Now I see Grievous can be found in the ship shop too, but those points are hard to come by and I'm really focused on improving my ship fleet for that content, so I could buy Grievous shards there, but that'd set me back on ships.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have noticed recently that the rancor "cheats" on his cooldown timers.

I've had situations where his devour ability shows 1, 2, and one time even 3 turns remaining when he scooped someone up and ate them. I've also noticed that his enrage timer where he starts doing bonkers damage and one shotting dudes is often off.

I bring Fives on my main squad, and I think it's the slow that throws the timers off. His timers seem to be based off of a baseline speed stat, regardless of what his actual speed is. So if you keep the rancor perma-slowed, his timers get off because the timers seem to be tied to an invisible speed stat.

It's very annoying to show that I still have 2 turns left on the clock until someone gets eaten, and then someone gets eaten anyway. Or on his enrage, show that I have a couple turns left and then he just starts one-shotting dudes.

Of course, this game is terribly designed and I'm still unsure why I continue playing it. None of their mechanics feel "good" to the player. In PVP the defending player always seems to have a nearly perfect proc/dodge/effect rate on everything the do. And none of my stuff does.

And in PVE the bosses all cheat and have bullshit mechanics.

The latest bullshit I've seen on the General Greivous raid is when he will respawn his adds, I will kill one and then he immediately respawns one again.

And then of course there's the stuff we've been discussing recently with how awful their packs are and how stacked against the player their whole F2P model is. Unless you're prepared to invest hundreds of dollars into this game, you get screwed on literally everything.

• Options
    I have literally never completed the galactic war and I'm level 78. I'm assuming it's because I only had one playable team for awhile, when I should have built 4 or so teams in the same tier.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I have literally never completed the galactic war and I'm level 78. I'm assuming it's because I only had one playable team for awhile, when I should have built 4 or so teams in the same tier.

Yeah, despite the game pushing you to form 2 good teams (one light and one dark) for the main missions, Galactic War requires you to have multiple (3+) teams all leveled and geared about the same in order to have a chance to complete it. I didn't realize this at first and never completed it until I hit about level 60 and started leveling up everyone else until I had about 2.5 teams worth of characters. Won Galactic War pretty regularly for a couple weeks, then it all went downhill again as I started to hit specialty teams that would require specific counters or a few teams to knock them down slowly. Unfortunately, since it's nearly impossible to try and specifically build a team that isn't immediately available in the cantina or galactic war shops, you just can't do what you want to do like build a scoundrel team or ewok team without spending half a year grinding those characters.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I currently have a Jedi team led by QGJ and a Scoundrel/Rebel team led by Lando. I'm trying to shift that to a Rebel team led by Ackbar and a Scoundrel team with Lando, with at least one reserve for each team to carry them further. Meanwhile, I have a jawa team slowly building.

I've basically just abandoned dark side progression.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dark side is mainly hard because they lack healers. Like while Dakka is great for her stun and ressurection, her actual healing is garbo compared to either of the easier to come by jedi healers, on top of the consular who you start with.

And then dark side seems mainly about status and aoe, but you don't really have a good alpha strike, or at least I don't. I need to build that droid team up most of them are dark side.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, droid team is going to be your strongest Dark Side story content clearing team.

Your other best option is an Empire team, but that team being good basically requires having Emperor. So if you don't already have Emperor unlocked, start building your Rebel team so you can unlock the Emperor the next time his event circles back through.

When he came through the first time, I was very weak on my rebels. I was only able to clear up through level 4, so I don't have Palpatine myself. But now I have a full rebel squad of 7-star dudes and I'm ready for the Emperor event the next time.

And actually, my rebel squad is my best team. I run Wedge (L), Biggs, Leia, Rey, and Fives as my primary team for nearly all content.

• Options
    Yeah I did the same with a rebel team.

And of course I'd cleared so many galactic wars I'd run across an end team of droids and jawas that took out my entire line up. Oh well its been a while since I failed there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jawas have been my primary focus lately. I just hit 100 shards today on Dathcha. Now I just need the money to raise him.

And I've been spending my space fleet currency on buying Clone shards. I've nearly got Cody unlocked and Rex is about halfway.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, droid team is going to be your strongest Dark Side story content clearing team.

Your other best option is an Empire team, but that team being good basically requires having Emperor. So if you don't already have Emperor unlocked, start building your Rebel team so you can unlock the Emperor the next time his event circles back through.

When he came through the first time, I was very weak on my rebels. I was only able to clear up through level 4, so I don't have Palpatine myself. But now I have a full rebel squad of 7-star dudes and I'm ready for the Emperor event the next time.

And actually, my rebel squad is my best team. I run Wedge (L), Biggs, Leia, Rey, and Fives as my primary team for nearly all content.

How'd you get Wedge?

I'm annoyed I got Biggs (who has multiple ways to farm) for free and there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to unlock Wedge.

It should have been the other way around!

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

How'd you get Wedge?

I'm annoyed I got Biggs (who has multiple ways to farm) for free and there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to unlock Wedge.

Wedge is in the cantina like tier 6 towards the end.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

How'd you get Wedge?

Yeah, I did a "find" on his shard a while back but I remember it being just a mission or two to grind.

I've got tons of people my level who have both Biggs and Wedge and its ridiculous having to face them in Squad Arena. I just thought there might be an easier way to grab him since I see him so often.

• Options

How'd you get Wedge?

Yeah, I did a "find" on his shard a while back but I remember it being just a mission or two to grind.

I've got tons of people my level who have both Biggs and Wedge and its ridiculous having to face them in Squad Arena. I just thought there might be an easier way to grab him since I see him so often.

I think he shows up as a fleet shard now since he's one of the easier to get pilots. And the droid had a early promotion for more of his shards too.

Yeah he's a great arena fighter with biggs. I use those two for galactic war a ton.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Yeah, I just farmed Wedge shards in the cantina. It was very slow going and took probably a couple months to get him all the way to 7 stars. I only average 4-6 shards per day in the cantina.

• Options
    Yeah certain characters I realize I just have to play the long game, and watch for shards in the store.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

How'd you get Wedge?

I think he shows up as a fleet shard now since he's one of the easier to get pilots. And the droid had a early promotion for more of his shards too.

Yeah he's a great arena fighter with biggs. I use those two for galactic war a ton.

Did a quick google search and apparently he was given away for free on Nov 22nd for IOS users just for logging in. I'm guessing the people I am seeing are on IOS or they logged their stuff into IOS that day to get him free.

• Options
    In non-whiney news

I pulled Aayla Secura from my first free pack. She's awesome and I am sort of shooting for a Jedi team now with Aayla, Mace, Luminara, GQJ, Counselor.

I should probably look up good teams, though, to make sure I'm not making a huge mistake.

• Options
    In my experience, Jedi are great at filling a specific role on a team, but full Jedi teams don't work well in the Arena or GW. There's not enough raw damage output there. Your biggest natural hitters are going to be QGJ and Ahsoka, and their numbers pale compared to things like the Rebels, Droids, and Jawas.

Jedi are an interesting case in this game because they're all really good characters. They're just not good together. Use them to supplement other teams. If you need a specific buff or a specific support ability, that's where Jedi really shine.

• Options
    Yeah and you're tempted to put together an all Jedi team, because jedi team buffs are like double for jedi, but they are not good all together.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    lame

also i am never building a jawa team no matter how awesome they are, who wants to play with jawas?!

• Options
    Yeah, I just farmed Wedge shards in the cantina. It was very slow going and took probably a couple months to get him all the way to 7 stars. I only average 4-6 shards per day in the cantina.

You are doing better than me.

I feel like the shard drop rate is super below 30% because its normal to clean out a D/LSB and never get a shard.

• Options

You are doing better than me.

I feel like the shard drop rate is super below 30% because its normal to clean out a D/LSB and never get a shard.

The worst is when you're almost at the last shard like within 10 to finish, that for me takes like a week.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Its 80 to activate him...

One thing to note the ones that cost 80 to activate start at four star power so reasonably usable for most stuff when you first get them once you train and gear them. So initial cost is steeper but its not like you can really use a 3 star or less character for much as they are just so squishy.

• Options
    Dark side is mainly hard because they lack healers. Like while Dakka is great for her stun and ressurection, her actual healing is garbo compared to either of the easier to come by jedi healers, on top of the consular who you start with.

And then dark side seems mainly about status and aoe, but you don't really have a good alpha strike, or at least I don't. I need to build that droid team up most of them are dark side.

Yes dark side healer options are trash. I finally finished the last couple sections once I got emp. His high potentcy for the team and a team stun means you can pretty much wipe out groups pretty easy and all vaders/sids dots land and then 88 amped up by all the negative effects punches people out.

If you don't have the emp then daka and Royal guard. I did not gear up my RG till I started facing him a lot to realize how potent he is as you level him. With him and daka you can stun up to 3 people in a round which lessens the amount of healing required a lot.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    There's a tendency in games to assume that "generic name character" < "proper named character", but I am starting to realize that's not the case here

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    That new Shoretrooper Imperial trooper seems really good. He's got a turn-1 taunt, which means you have to either deal with him or debuff him before you can do anything else.

I have only faced him once in Arena, because he's pretty rare since he was tied to that tournament, but he really screwed with my routine. Normally I can Biggs assist combo into an instant deletion of a target of my choice. But not against the Shoretrooper.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Yeah and you're tempted to put together an all Jedi team, because jedi team buffs are like double for jedi, but they are not good all together.

Jawa team is interesting but their healers are not great. What works disturbingly well is all ewok+ one guy of your choice. The ewok team does not hit super hard but with their speed buffs and teebo and chirpa doing their thing they attack all the god damn time. They are my choice for punching out the gamoreans in the rancor raid. Teebo destroys turn meters and every time he hits his stealth every ewoks turn meter pretty much instantly fills.

It is silly as hell and ewoks are a cast iron bitch to rank up via free to play stuff but they are a super solid team. Chirpa has good heal over time and ewok elder is probably the best overall healer in the game. If you throw the royal guard or some other tank on the team with them good luck keeping anything dead.

• Options
    Speaking of Ewoks, I honestly can't believe they haven't added Wicket yet.

• Options
    There's a tendency in games to assume that "generic name character" < "proper named character", but I am starting to realize that's not the case here

Often times not at all. Its more what can you get a lot of shards for over character you can't. Honestly I get a lot more use out of IG 86 than I do IG 88. He is far more useful on more teams and tends to hit harder and has a solid buddy call.

Things like the royal guard are stupidly good he is hands down the best tank currently.

As for ewoks wicket or the ewok warrior that the computer brings out and uses both are very odd that neither has been added yet. Clearly the ewok warrior is pretty much ready to go art and skill wise because the computer uses it quite a bit.

• Options
    The vision and direction of the devs is just very clearly not the same as the users.

Like, who the hell was asking for Zam Wessle? Why was that character added to the game before important story characters like Jedi Luke, or Leia Bosch?

Bonus topic: Now that we have starships in the game, the field is ripe for the addition of Grand Admiral Thrawn. He is the perfect candidate to be a fleet commander. Especially since the Dark Side only has 1 commander currently. He was made official canon recently in the Rebels cartoon, so he's a valid character to put in the game.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Mara Jade first plz

yes I know she's not canon anymore shut up

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Mara Jade first plz

yes I know she's not canon anymore shut up

Why not just ask for Corran Horn you fan boy.

pleasepaypreacher.net