As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oregon Militia: All aboard the crazy train.

DoctorArchDoctorArch CurmudgeonRegistered User regular
edited February 2016 in Debate and/or Discourse
Got approval from the mods for this thread. Before we start, the last one got locked because people were gooses. Don't be a goose. I know the situation is frustrating on a lot of levels, but salivating at the idea of all the occupiers getting gunned down by the FBI is a thought you need to keep to yourself so this thread doesn't get locked too.

Big news tonight: Bundys in custody, one militant dead after gunfight near Burns (Link)

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
DoctorArch on

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Glad they were able to finally arrest Bundy, I hope he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law and I guess ultimately I am glad the Feds restrained themselves and made his followers look like the fools they are

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I'm concerned about what might happen in the next few days. Are there women and children at the refuge? If so, will the militants use them as de facto human shields, as they have in the past? Or will today's arrests convince the remaining militants to leave while they can?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I'm concerned about what might happen in the next few days. Are there women and children at the refuge? If so, will the militants use them as de facto human shields, as they have in the past? Or will today's arrests convince the remaining militants to leave while they can?

There were reports the women and children left already.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    I hope this is it. If the rest decide to dig in instead, this could get pretty dark.

Account not recoverable. So long.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

I haven't seen anything since then.

• Options

On Facebook, the Bundy Ranch wrote:

The resolve for principled liberty must go on.

It appears that America was fired upon by our government. One of liberty’s finest patriots is fallen. He will not go silent into eternity. Our appeal is to heaven.

Also, Jon Fitzheimer wrote that he is at home, in Arizona, and that he’s been asked to turn himself in.

So it sounds like what they should have done out of the first bundy stand off is happening now, everyone involved is being arrested. Even if they aren't currently there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Note: Ammon is in custody, not Cliven. Who remains at large and spouting bullshit about the dead guy died for a noble cause and what not.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    that there is a state assembly person actively aiding these people with her position in office should also open her up federal prosecution ugh

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Note: Ammon is in custody, not Cliven. Who remains at large and spouting bullshit about the dead guy died for a noble cause and what not.

Ammon and Ryan, the chief dimwits of this entire escapade, are the Bundys in custody.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    There are a few women there, but then, it's not like they're not just as capable of being a part of it as the men are.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    that there is a state assembly person actively aiding these people with her position in office should also open her up federal prosecution ugh

They arrested a radio instigator who I don't think ever showed up at the refuge? So they might be.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I don't think it's been confirmed which one of the militia died yet, but 2nd hand scuttlebutt is suggesting it was Robert "LaVoy" Finicum.

AKA the guy who was tossing around Burns Paiute Tribe artifacts like they were keychains at a truck stop (Link).

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I'm curious now about what happens with the militia members still at the cabin. Will they be extra paranoid now and worry that they will be arrested if they leave too? But they will have to get supplies at some point.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    I'm curious now about what happens with the militia members still at the cabin. Will they be extra paranoid now and worry that they will be arrested if they leave too? But they will have to get supplies at some point.

They are locked down now and being told to leave or be arrested I believe.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yep that's the story I saw.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I do have to wonder what they thought was going to happen when they decided to take a road trip. Did they think no one was watching?

You would think arresting the leader of this thing would weaken their resolve, but on the other hand, one also being killed could make it even more difficult to resolve without further bloodshed.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I do have to wonder what they thought was going to happen when they decided to take a road trip. Did they think no one was watching?

You would think arresting the leader of this thing would weaken their resolve, but on the other hand, one also being killed could make it even more difficult to resolve without further bloodshed.

Well, previously they were allowed to roam freely without repercussions.

• Options
    They probably assumed that since they have been traveling all over the county with impunity for the last 3 weeks, they could continue to do so.

But this time law enforcement knew where and when they were going and had time to set up an intercept well away from innocents.

• Options
    Slightly concerning, but take it with a grain of salt because it is all about messaging right now, militia sympathizers such as Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore are claiming that Finnicum was cooperating with police yet police shot him three times and then shot him again on the ground.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The sheriff at the roadblock had once gotten autographs from Ryan Payne and J. Ritzheimer, both of whom were arrested, so I am guessing they leaned on him to get him to cooperate more or something similar.

DoctorArch wrote: »
    Slightly concerning, but take it with a grain of salt because it is all about messaging right now, militia sympathizers such as Nevada Assemblywoman Michele Fiore are claiming that Finnicum was cooperating with police yet police shot him three times and then shot him again on the ground.

The only people who know what happened are the dead militant, the arrested militants, and the law enforcement officials. The other militants shouldn't have any special knowledge of what happened, and they would at best get it from the arrested militants if the law enforcement officers let the arrested militants have a phone call, who are hardly reliable as a source of information.

Couscous on
  • Options
    It also appears that again unlike the last stand off, they logged everyone involved (hey idiots thanks for taking all those you tubes with your faces and names clearly on display) and are now sweeping the net. Like they have told a dude in Arizona he has to turn himself in. So it seems like everyone directly involved is being arrested.

The question of course is what happened on the highway, if it was a clean or dirty shoot. And ramifications from that.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm sure we'll find out eventually, there were likely a number of dashboard cameras and possibly some body cameras filming the incident.

But yeah I've read the same report, which is based on a phone call made from Ammon to his wife after he was arrested (I'm guessing the police dialed it for him).

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular

Shouldn't that be "and"?

• Options
    I'm sure we'll find out eventually, there were likely a number of dashboard cameras and possibly some body cameras filming the incident.

But yeah I've read the same report, which is based on a phone call made from Ammon to his wife after he was arrested (I'm guessing the police dialed it for him).

Yeah I'm gonna take that statement of what happened with a huge grain of salt

• Options
    Clipse wrote: »

Shouldn't that be "and"?

Some of them didn't really do shit aside from mill around, no reason to arrest every moron waste of time in the courts.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Shouldn't that be "and"?

Some of them didn't really do shit aside from mill around, no reason to arrest every moron waste of time in the courts.

You'd probably give a few immunity for testifying against the others. Also much safer if you can get them to leave the fortified position voluntarily by saying that. Of course police are also under no obligation to tell the truth of what they actually will do.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    The question of course is what happened on the highway, if it was a clean or dirty shoot. And ramifications from that.

I seriously doubt it was anything but a clean shoot. Law enforcement wouldn't have spent all that time making the occupiers complacent, by way of doing nothing, and then just gun one of them down without provocation. It was probably on video, but if not then it'll end up being the occupiers word vs the police, and for once I'm willing to believe the police on this one.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Also if it wasn't a clean shoot they aren't going to leave two witnesses

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

Shouldn't that be "and"?

You'd probably give a few immunity for testifying against the others. Also much safer if you can get them to leave the fortified position voluntarily by saying that. Of course police are also under no obligation to tell the truth of what they actually will do.

Rather than immunity, just take the sedition charges off the table. However, the evidence against them is so large that I doubt the feds will even need to worry about making deals for testimony.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Finally.

Not a guy dying, but some arrests.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'm curious what the full list of charges will end up being.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The guy dying puts felony murder on the table.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options

Wouldn't that be dependent on Oregon having laws like that?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

...Because the cops shot him?

• Options
    ClipseClipse Registered User regular

Shouldn't that be "and"?

I'm not saying they should be locked up for life or something, but if a bunch of drunk teenagers broke in and vandalized the building they'd be treated more seriously than this. And failing to deliver any consequences for the last round of Bundy family idiocy is arguably what led to this in the first place.

• Options
    ConnConn Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Accomplices can be held accountable for the deaths of those they commit a crime with. I remember seeing a thing on a [non-fiction] cop show where two guys rob a store, one gets shot and dies 90 seconds later, and his buddy got prosecuted for the guy's death.

Not sure how much that varies from state to state, though.

Conn on
    XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • Options

With felony murder, you can be held responsible for any death that happens while you are committing a felony. Don't know if Oregon has it though.

• Options
    edited January 2016

Id have to look at fed law

These guys wont be charged under state criminal law I dont think

So It Goes on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Jan 5
    http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oregon-occupier-lavoy-finicum-warns-fbi-he-d-take-death-n491056
    Asked if he would rather be killed than be arrested — were the occupation to turn violent — 54-year-old occupier LaVoy Finicum, said: "Absolutely ... I have no intention of spending any of my days in a concrete box."...
    I'm telling them right now — don’t point guns at me.”

It seems likely he tried to back this up and was killed.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    Conn wrote: »

Accomplices can be held accountable for the deaths of those they commit a crime with. I remember seeing a thing on a [non-fiction] cop show where two guys rob a store, one gets shot and dies 90 seconds later, and his buddy got prosecuted for the guy's death.

Not sure how much that varies from state to state, though.

I'm going to guess one dude was unarmed there and was trying to surrender and the other pulled a gun or something.

This discussion has been closed.