As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy Explorers (FFEx)

• KhezKhez Registered User regular
    If any one wants to play together I added my friend code to the google doc mentioned above.

76561197967286566.png

Psn: Khezaf
    Wildstar: MeHealU
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    The upgrade system for skills is kind of annoying. Having to buy the new skill and having the old skill stick around makes for a lot of clutter and cleaning it up gets annoying after awhile.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    You can get rid of it on your actual abilities list by choosing to sell it back.

In the learning list it's a bit clunky, but after a while you'll just be looking for the 4+ numbered skills as you stack effects on the things you use so they get easy to spot.

It's not the best I admit, but got the system they were going for its at least functional and not particularly painful to interact with.

steam_sig.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So.. I know folks are real high on monks, but let me tell you about the ranger.

I get a bow, which is of course awesome. When I get into a fight, I buff my crit rate, accuracy, gives me reflect, and hastes me. I have an ability that burns, paralyzed, and freezes enemies, and does more damage the further I am from the monster. Then I have one that silenced, burns, and poisons them. They get closer, I can do a machine gun shot that paralyzes and does more damage with each shot. Still can't get them away? I dodge away, turning me invisible and creating a mirror image of myself that the enemy will chase instead.

Play the ranger. Love the ranger.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    So.. I know folks are real high on monks, but let me tell you about the ranger.

I get a bow, which is of course awesome. When I get into a fight, I buff my crit rate, accuracy, gives me reflect, and hastes me. I have an ability that burns, paralyzed, and freezes enemies, and does more damage the further I am from the monster. Then I have one that silenced, burns, and poisons them. They get closer, I can do a machine gun shot that paralyzes and does more damage with each shot. Still can't get them away? I dodge away, turning me invisible and creating a mirror image of myself that the enemy will chase instead.

Play the ranger. Love the ranger.

I loved playing ranger until I unlocked machinist. It's basically the ranger with infinite AP.

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Are the classes you unlock later universally more powerful than the early classes? Or is it simply a matter of preference?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    I want to say preference, though dps is dps.

steam_sig.png
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    Does anyone want to try out multiplayer tonight? I'll be online around 5:30 CST.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I've been trucking along with just the standard freelancer. Got a bunch of sword skills and healing spells. If I didn't have such a monster hunter mentality of dodging everything, I would make much better use of deflect. It comes out so fast that when I can manage to fight the instinct there is still time to get the block in. Now that I've found some tonberrys which drop astral sources, I can farm those and cactuars to get the magic sources for the character costumes. Very soon I will be Rikku with a gunblade, and it will be glorious. Although I may try out alchemist and the gun abilities, but I think Rikku fits perfectly into that theme too.

Also if anyone is having trouble with early bosses. If you keep using abilities and checking the surges available (they change every time the text pops up saying crystal sure use l + r), using the 1000 needles mode makes it so all of your attacks hit for 1000 even the standard attacks, which generally happen faster than abilities.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I purchased this game from Best Buy based on the fun you guys are having with it. I hope I'm not disappointed.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hitting Ifrit with Diamond Dust does a shitload of damage. So good. It did overkill him amd stop me from getting his magicite, but worth it.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Just picked up a copy today, woo!

...Forgot to charge my 3DS so I can't play it for another three hours, boo.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »

Play it while it's plugged in!

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Ianator wrote: »

Play it while it's plugged in!

You got one I can borrow 'til get home? :p

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So is this game fun? Because reviewers all say it's very grindy and repetitive. I'm not catching a "fun vibe" from professional review sites.

But I've found that most of the professional review sites seem to follow a herd mentality on the reviews of games. It's almost as if they hold a conference, decide a score as a group, as well as some beefs with the game, and then everyone's reviews are all exactly the same.

Not conferences. Private email mailing lists.

oh come on, the game is generally considered to have not been a success in japan, it's not at all surprising that it wouldn't review well here

it's a textbook niche game, you don't need to create some secret games journalism cabal reason for people bouncing off it

(this is in addition to it having a reviewer metacritic score of 71, or in other words, most people say "yeah it's fine. it's got problems but it's just fine.")

I needed anime to post. on
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Hitting Ifrit with Diamond Dust does a shitload of damage. So good. It did overkill him amd stop me from getting his magicite, but worth it.

Diamond dust seems to do a shitload of damage to everything. I had my trance on squall and tried lionheart a few times, then tried shiva and diamond dust is an insane kamehameha that seems to instantly break like 2 parts on the monster at once.

Also alexander is such a joke of a fight. He's basically a patchwerk fight, just stand there and unload on him. Not a huge fan of the diablo fight though. All the things that pull me around are annoying.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So the dodge ability on the ranger? It's great for dodging from mooks, but from Ifrit and Shiva? Eh, not so much. The image ability saves me more often than not, but man.. I'm feeling the pain in boss fights now.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Thread convinced me to jump in, I'm sure fun will be had, but I'm irritated that the game has no 3D. Why not? I love that feature of my N3DS and always leave it on, it's just weird that it doesn't utilize the feature. So, I guess for anyone else reading the thread, if you're considering the purchase and you care about that, take note. None of the reviews mention it either. I was really looking forward to 3D versions of familiar FF monsters and such.

camo_sig2.png
    The no 3d thing is all over the place. Not sure how you missed it. Some of the harder versions of eidolons can really combo you out. Also bahamut is annoying to fight as melee.

I need 1 magic source to make a costume but i cant for the life of me find another tonberry to kill.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So is this game fun? Because reviewers all say it's very grindy and repetitive. I'm not catching a "fun vibe" from professional review sites.

But I've found that most of the professional review sites seem to follow a herd mentality on the reviews of games. It's almost as if they hold a conference, decide a score as a group, as well as some beefs with the game, and then everyone's reviews are all exactly the same.

Not conferences. Private email mailing lists.

oh come on, the game is generally considered to have not been a success in japan, it's not at all surprising that it wouldn't review well here

it's a textbook niche game, you don't need to create some secret games journalism cabal reason for people bouncing off it

(this is in addition to it having a reviewer metacritic score of 71, or in other words, most people say "yeah it's fine. it's got problems but it's just fine.")

I haven't made any comment in favor or against the quality of the Final Fantasy Explorers. But the fact is that mainstream gaming journalism has been caught red handed in their collusion. The most notable example was the GameJournoPros mailing group that was exposed as part of the GamerGate controversy. I see no reason to believe that the gaming journalism industry suddenly got clean after they scuttled that particular mailing group.

I place zero weight in the opinions of gaming journalism and instead opt to come here and read the first-hand opinions of ordinary people playing the game.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    who could imagine that people in the same occupation would keep in email contact with one another

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    If you looked into the matter, you would see that the discussions within the mail group called their journalistic integrity into question. It was sort of a big deal. This was not a group of friends chatting about the weather and current events.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    i did

i did not see anyone doing anything other than offering their personal opinion, and people agreeing or disagreeing

perceiving it as a big deal was pretty easily predicated on having an agenda you wanted confirmed

Finished all of the 2* quests last night. Got into 3* quests and the first couple are...kill 10 basic monsters? Huh.

Although "kill 10 dragons" was certainly an adventure.

Finished all of the 2* quests last night. Got into 3* quests and the first couple are...kill 10 basic monsters? Huh.

Other than the dragon one, can you crank up the options for better loot?

So far I've only died in one fight.

That was Fenrir and his constant back and forth hopping I could just never seem to avoid. He did it six times in a row and just murdered my face right off.

Besides that, he's pretty cool. Need to go back and capture him.

steam_sig.png
    ForceVoid wrote: »

Other than the dragon one, can you crank up the options for better loot?

Yeah I've been doing things on most missions like turning off lockon, disabling item use, and shortening mission by 25%. That said, it hasn't seemed to have any meaningful impact on the rewards so far.

So far I've only died in one fight.

That was Fenrir and his constant back and forth hopping I could just never seem to avoid. He did it six times in a row and just murdered my face right off.

Besides that, he's pretty cool. Need to go back and capture him.

Heh. He killed me too - his first time using clone and then I think one of them did swallow and the other did his special hoppy murder time and my health was just gone.

I murdered him back.

Geomancer is interesting... by which I mean fucking hell the buff notifications are insane. But the club is cool. Only a 2-hit basic combo but it regens AP really well. The trap skill is nice. I like how the club skills tie directly into the geomancer theme, by setting buff/debuff zones, more traps, etc.

I haven't played anything but monk yet. It's just so strong.

I'm almost to unlocking blue mage and beastmaster so I'll probably have to try those two, since bluemage is usually interesting and bst was my FFXI main.

steam_sig.png
  • JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Beastmaster is really, really good. If you finish a mob off with tame it's a 100% drop rate for atmalith. Also you can make crazy amounts of gil solo by bringing 3 level 1 monsters with you and selling them when they hit 10, which is super quick with beastmaster. Like 2 eidelon fights.

Jeix wrote: »
    Beastmaster is really, really good. If you finish a mob off with tame it's a 100% drop rate for atmalith. Also you can make crazy amounts of gil solo by bringing 3 level 1 monsters with you and selling them when they hit 10, which is super quick with beastmaster. Like 2 eidelon fights.

2? I had my Chocobo go 1>11 when I went to capture Ifrit. I'm assuming it changes for different monsters though then.

Ok, so the tutorial guy has a section about knocking parts off of eidolons, and I have noticed that I can tap left or right and the targetting circle moves to a different spot, which does, in fact, grant me an item when it takes enough damage.

The help text mentions that you can keep attacking that broken part for bonus damage. Is there a visual/ui indicator of what is broken? Does it really matter? Are the items gained from this worthwhile?

It's more loot, and I think the eidolon-specific stuff can be gotten that way (possibly better rates?)

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    i did

i did not see anyone doing anything other than offering their personal opinion, and people agreeing or disagreeing

perceiving it as a big deal was pretty easily predicated on having an agenda you wanted confirmed

Yup. Professionals talk shop all the time. There's no significant difference between talking in a mailing list or going to a conference or seminar. The mailing list 'controversy' is only controversial to those who don't operate within that kind of professional sphere. As a programmer it's pretty hilarious because people talk about and exchange real code all the time in mailing lists, on online forums, in person (meet-ups, camps, lunches, seminars, conferences, conventions, etc.). The notion that gaming 'journalists' (I find that term misleading... editorialists is much more accurate, IMO, given that there's not really any legit investigative portion to what most of them do) must live in a bubble is asinine.

Finally got to playing this last night (after a scare in which my 3DS's video and audio temporarily died - scary!). Here are some thoughts, presented in loose chronological order.

Thought the first: It's gonna take a while to get used to the controls. B for run and X for item is something I need to drill on.

Thought the second: It's really gonna take a while to get used to the controls. Having to hold a shoulder button for any attack worth using is already making my hand tired.

Thought the third: Oookaaayyy so that's how Custom Skill Mutation works.

Thought the last: This game reminds me of Radiant Mythology: Tales of the World. In ways both good and bad.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    anyway if someone starts finding some sick armour, let me know

it's basically the deciding factor for a purchase for me at this point but the absence of any good wikis to browse has made it SO HARD

You can get some cosplay armors.

One of the first ones that shows up is Sephiroth's. It's a full-body equip (head, body and legs) and usable for both males and females.

Onion Knight set is apparently pretty good, especially the sword.

I foresee a bit of Fashion Hunter Explorer is in order.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Yep. Rikku and Lightning have shown up for me in the shop too.

It looks like the magicite for past characters is mainly for achievement type stuff (Heal X times for Aerith, etc)

I'm assuming that the help text for magicite that says you can still equip it when it is used means you can use a Shiva, for example, to make an accessory, consuming it, but still equip Shiva for trances. Is that it?

honestly the cosplay armours are probably the ones i'm least interested in, unfortunately

makes it feel a bit less like "my character" you know what i mean?