As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy Explorers (FFEx)

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    I'm assuming that the help text for magicite that says you can still equip it when it is used means you can use a Shiva, for example, to make an accessory, consuming it, but still equip Shiva for trances. Is that it?

That's correct.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Getting to the point where i may need to swap out to a new job. Got to the lillium rod quest off nothing but monk.

Strong class, great utility, but I think after I finish mutating this skill a few more times I need to try something new.

Also randomly: Get a skill to mutation 8 even if it's sucky, a quest unlocks for doing that. One of the more super vague requirements.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    After hitting 4* I went and carved a path through the map for the new mats. Ended at Dryad and came back with like 25K CP for my trouble.

The lilium rod boss kicked my ass as geomancer, so I'm going to get new gear.

Debating trying a mage for a bit. Black or Time atm... wondering what ninjato use for skills.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited January 2016
    My only real disappointment with this game so far is quest related.

Both in that dragoon takes too long to unlock and that they didn't bundle ninja and sage together in an obvious pairing.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    had a random crash last night. running along and boom, back to the home screen. thank goodness the game saves at certain points because i don't remember to save everytime i go back to town like i probably should.

Okay guys. Blue mage, black mage, or ninja?

Pailryder wrote: »
    had a random crash last night. running along and boom, back to the home screen. thank goodness the game saves at certain points because i don't remember to save everytime i go back to town like i probably should.

Yeah I had a crash during an Ifrit fight. Got to charging my encase and my turtles were just going ham. Then it locked up and dumped me back at the 3ds menu. I was sad.

I then went and murdered two Ifrit in protest.

steam_sig.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    you guys have digital or physical copies for those crashes? N3ds or old school? havent heard of about any crashes or experienced any on my own. Just curious what could be causing it.

Digital, n3ds.

steam_sig.png
    Okay, machinist is a tad silly. Mainly I think its just that guns are pretty safe.

• PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    physical, n3ds. it only happened once and i'm not sure what triggered it.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Just picked this up today. I punched a dragon to death. It owned.

M A G I K A Z A M
    Finally switched out of freelancer and gave machinist a try. Damage is way higher, but dang can gamma ray do bad things to fps and vision in general. I doubt it would be possible to play online well if anyone is a playing a machinist.

As much as i was looking forward to online play, i have no urge to do it. I like just running around doing my thing with my chocobro.

Also i would have thought zantetsuken would make odin a pain, but it doesnt really do much. But dang when he pulls out gungnir you cant go near him at all.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Ok, I'm now up into the 6* quests and I'm noticing something upsetting: Melee classes (and gun/bow) are woefully underpowered. I'd really like to use Thief or Dark Knight or ANY of the cool melee classes but after using Black Mage and Sage they just don't hold up. Is anyone else noticing the same? Please make sure you give the casters a try before you say "MY ninja melts face!" My spells are currently hitting for 6000-8000 per shot in a massive AoE and I can use them from a distance. My melee dudes? I'm happy to get a string of 2000dmg hits in a row... on one mob.

edited January 2016
    Zantetsuken got me several times on Odin :(. When he got low he switched to a charging version amd itcaught me off guard every time.

Black mage does hit really hard yeah. It is fairly fragile though. Kind of bad at getting AP back compared to some of the melees (clubs are SO GOOD at it)

Polaritie on
    Protip on AP problems: Keep crafting the Thief Anklet until you get one with AP Absorb. No more issues. I managed to make one with +10 which is the max I believe... so every hit gives me back 10% AP. My spells pay for themselves!

The katana buff combo is cool. I like how it nudges you to it without just saying X is better after Y.

Utsusemi of course is perfect for getting it off too.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Protip on AP problems: Keep crafting the Thief Anklet until you get one with AP Absorb. No more issues. I managed to make one with +10 which is the max I believe... so every hit gives me back 10% AP. My spells pay for themselves!

If you're extremely lucky, you can make one with AP and HP absorb.

Then be immortal.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    My Black Knight is level 48 and is pretty much a walking tank.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Went from Ramuh/Sylph to the northern areas last night and I feel I need to air some grievances about the Ensnare system. Spoiler'd for kvetching.
    It's one thing to rely on your fellow Explorers smart enough to not kill the Eidolon before you capture, but in the Magicite quest my monster companions wound up offing both Ifrit and Shiva - the first just because he has really low HP and the second after I whiffed the Ensnare while my monsters were KO'd and they revived and finished her before I got another crystal limit break thingy. I wound up fighting all four of the first-tier Eidolons solo just so I could have control over the situation, including Shiva twice. When I'm trying to get magicite, having to attack an already-weak enemy more just to get another shot sounds like it'll be frustrating in the extreme. (At least I'm good at Archer now!)

Anyways, last I let off I was at EL31 as an Archer and I have a question: do you think it's worth putting in armor/weapon upgrades at this point, or is it like Insect Glaves in MH4G where I'm better off waiting for the best ones I can craft and hoarding items for that?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    It seems like waiting is the best bet unless you are struggling. It is fast to blaze through the quests in the beginning.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of blazing through the quests in the beginning, I sure am enjoying doing just that! Fired it up, and yeah, it starts off at least as a nice, easy, busywork sim with jobs. I haven't unlocked anything outside the initial job collection yet, but I'm looking forward to figuring out how that goes down.

I'm also at a point where it looks like I have quests to go kill some bosses (Ifrit, Shiva), but the prerequisite is to have already killed them? That's either hecka weird or I'm reading it wrong, or both!

Imperfect wrote: »
    Speaking of blazing through the quests in the beginning, I sure am enjoying doing just that! Fired it up, and yeah, it starts off at least as a nice, easy, busywork sim with jobs. I haven't unlocked anything outside the initial job collection yet, but I'm looking forward to figuring out how that goes down.

I'm also at a point where it looks like I have quests to go kill some bosses (Ifrit, Shiva), but the prerequisite is to have already killed them? That's either hecka weird or I'm reading it wrong, or both!

Basically, there are a number of quests that will reward items used to craft various shiny things (like Sephiroth's outfit, a chocobo staff, etc.) and involve killing bosses. They show up in the list before you've actually reached the point where that eidolon is normally available. Hence the wait. Not really a spoiler in them though... because surprise the game using the summons as bosses has Ifrit and Shiva.

But that's nothing, because I had 4* quests for that stuff appear before I had even unlocked 3* at all. Kind of amusing.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    That's event quests for ya.

Just did the exploration quest that opens up 4* proper. Maybe now I can craft a set of caster armor that doesn't require a rare break drop from Ramuh...

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    It's close enough.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited February 2016
    Ok, I'm now up into the 6* quests and I'm noticing something upsetting: Melee classes (and gun/bow) are woefully underpowered. I'd really like to use Thief or Dark Knight or ANY of the cool melee classes but after using Black Mage and Sage they just don't hold up. Is anyone else noticing the same? Please make sure you give the casters a try before you say "MY ninja melts face!" My spells are currently hitting for 6000-8000 per shot in a massive AoE and I can use them from a distance. My melee dudes? I'm happy to get a string of 2000dmg hits in a row... on one mob.

My ninja can do... Hmm. Probably 20k damage while being immortal.

You absolutely need to link skills. Dragoon gets absolutely ridiculous because of multi hits. Mages seem good on paper but in the end they do aoe/single hit that hits the damage cap.

A dragoon can land 15? Hits or something in the span of a single flare animation.

Those, too, can hit damage cap.

Melee classes suffer heavily if you aren't stacking link/combo/carnage/whatever mutations. If you do, though? Absolutely the better choice.

PSA the item shop sells an item called 'oracle' for 1k. Lets you shuffle your surges.

Do that till you get endless link, spam all linkable skills like mad, go check crystal and see if any link to skills you want. Ninja example you want link skill nether moon: snow, link skill cherry blossom: nether moon, link skill tsubame: cherry blossom. You could also link shiranui to snow if you really want. I haven't bothered but I probably should.

Then you can cast all of them together, basically animation cancelling, with them getting progressively more powerful. Throw out a sword spirit and utsusemi before you start and with ad set of damage supports on spirit you can do your entire combo, uninterrupted, hitting every hit for 9999. (So basically 60kish)

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Do you feel this is worth getting if I will be only playing it solo? Not that I have anything against multiplayer, just that the majority of my 3DS usage is in places with no wifi.

Ive only played it solo and it is still fun. Plus, if you play online you cant bring your monster pets with you. So playing solo lets you bring your favorite pals along. There aren't any multiplayer only quests or anything like monster hunter, so everything can be done on your own.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Do you feel this is worth getting if I will be only playing it solo? Not that I have anything against multiplayer, just that the majority of my 3DS usage is in places with no wifi.

It's fun but I don't know how long the game will stay that way. I just unlocked 3 star stuff and it's getting a little dull. The controls are kind of clunky and the "leveling up" system is not very intuitive or user friendly.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Mutation management can get out of hand, certainly. I've found what works for me is that I just make it part of the town routine.

Check the crystal for any mutations I want to keep, delete the rest. Update my equipped skills, sell the old customs back for CP, hit up the fortune teller, then grab new quest.

I'm currently soloing as well, for similar reasons @Chiselphane

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mutation management can get out of hand, certainly. I've found what works for me is that I just make it part of the town routine.

Check the crystal for any mutations I want to keep, delete the rest. Update my equipped skills, sell the old customs back for CP, hit up the fortune teller, then grab new quest.

I'm currently soloing as well, for similar reasons @Chiselphane

HUH BUH WHU

How do you sell your old customs??

After you've unequipped them, there is a "relinquish" menu option under learn custom, it's in there.

I found 3* stuff to be generally boring. 4* got a bit better.

5* was when it got more amusing again as my power gain evened out a bit and I could be killed/not instantly murder things.

steam_sig.png
    4* also seems to be where "rare" materials start dropping, which have a different color item text and a different color "drop." Which, embarrassingly enough, hits the right spots in my brain to get excited.

• Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    I just made it to 6*, and it was fun, but I can see the repetition. Some of the quests that have you run across the continent are a bit much.

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I have Fira6, all fire buffs. And Blizzara5, all ice buffs.

Black mage damage is hilarious early on.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Woo, Ninja mastered. Looks to be... gains equip knuckles, more HP/AP, maybes some other stat bonuses? So small things mainly.

But as it turns out there are weapon types that share skills - e.g. the ninjato weapons are just 1h katanas basically. Some reading and it seems bells use hammer skills. This means the load discount for specialized skills does work with things like Geomancer and bells and such.

FYI all you aspiring Time Mages out there, use Chronos after you cast your buffs

Haste = 30 sec
    Chronos then Haste = 30 sec
    Haste then Chronos = 36 sec

Doesn't matter when in those 30 sec you cast it, you'll get the 20% duration as long as you Chronos while the buff is running.

FYI all you aspiring Time Mages out there, use Chronos after you cast your buffs

Haste = 30 sec
    Chronos then Haste = 30 sec
    Haste then Chronos = 36 sec

Doesn't matter when in those 30 sec you cast it, you'll get the 20% duration as long as you Chronos while the buff is running.

I've been trying to figure out when Chronos is even worth it. Does it work on Crystal Surges? It feels like a waste to extend Haste when I could just as easily cast another Haste before it expires for another 30 seconds. Reflect maybe? That seems to have a longer CD.

Also, what mutations to look for on Chronos?