As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy Explorers (FFEx)

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    FYI all you aspiring Time Mages out there, use Chronos after you cast your buffs

Haste = 30 sec
    Chronos then Haste = 30 sec
    Haste then Chronos = 36 sec

Doesn't matter when in those 30 sec you cast it, you'll get the 20% duration as long as you Chronos while the buff is running.

I've been trying to figure out when Chronos is even worth it. Does it work on Crystal Surges? It feels like a waste to extend Haste when I could just as easily cast another Haste before it expires for another 30 seconds. Reflect maybe? That seems to have a longer CD.

Also, what mutations to look for on Chronos?

It saves me some time if I've got float/haste up for stages with floor hazards and my gil turtle is rocking out prot/shell. I've currently got just a mismatch of mutations, not quite sure yet where to go with it.

It also cuts the durations of debuffs, so if my monsters get hit with bad breath or freeze from Shiva, it's handy

EDIT - Just tested it, it does not increase the duration of crystal surges - not sure about the added effects from skill mutations yet

Neurotika on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    Ive only played it solo and it is still fun. Plus, if you play online you cant bring your monster pets with you. So playing solo lets you bring your favorite pals along. There aren't any multiplayer only quests or anything like monster hunter, so everything can be done on your own.

You can bring pets with online play as long as you don't already have 4 people. I bring Chocobo along with my husband and I, his heal is mega awesome for squishy black mages.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    So if anyone were to recommend against this game, what would be the points you'd use? The seriously mixed reviews are giving me pause on something that I'm super interested in at a surface level.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    harvest wrote: »
    So if anyone were to recommend against this game, what would be the points you'd use? The seriously mixed reviews are giving me pause on something that I'm super interested in at a surface level.

It can get boring.

There isn't a huge variety to what you kill or how you kill it. There is some skill involved in the game. Later on its definitely not all button mashing as things can start to hit really hard.

There is a good bit of leeway in skill loads and mutations, but in the end there is only the 10 or whatever Eidolons to kill.

On the other hand I have killed literally over a thousand Rathlos so maybe variety isn't always the absolute most important bit.

I dunno. I'm 27 hours in and I'm looking forward to getting home later and working on my dragoon skill mutations.

On the other hand I'm having no luck with item drops for gear so I've basically been using the same armor for the last 15 hours and only recently made a new weapon.

Being able to add a trait and upgrade defense and such definitely helps.

steam_sig.png
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is there any reason to play any job other than the one you like the most? I mean, other than boredom, why would I ever stop playing a Ranger?

Imperfect wrote: »
    Is there any reason to play any job other than the one you like the most? I mean, other than boredom, why would I ever stop playing a Ranger?

I haven't really found one. Especially if you settle on a good one like ranger.

Might need to dip into beastmaster or thief for some of the more obscure farming but eh.

steam_sig.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Thief for farming mat nodes for sure. Beastmaster for atmaliths.

Otherwise whatever you enjoy.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I guess you could consider certain classes/ability loadouts separately for group play? Though I'm not really sure if there's a difficulty level where it would matter. Could be fun to play pure tank or pure support in those scenarios, though.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    I kind of want to rock a bard in a group. Just go all out support. Rock a guitar.

steam_sig.png
    Huh. That actually makes me kinda sad.

One of the things I loved most about the FF job system was needing to play certain jobs to unlock later ones. It encouraged exploration, and I loved the idea of "earning" those later, cooler jobs. Just being able to step into it because the story got far enough along is a bit of a letdown, honestly.

• JeixJeix Registered User regular

One of the things I loved most about the FF job system was needing to play certain jobs to unlock later ones. It encouraged exploration, and I loved the idea of "earning" those later, cooler jobs. Just being able to step into it because the story got far enough along is a bit of a letdown, honestly.

You still do have to earn certain jobs. For example to unlock Beastmaster you need to create a number of monsters that will assist you before it unlocks.

Jeix wrote: »

You still do have to earn certain jobs. For example to unlock Beastmaster you need to create a number of monsters that will assist you before it unlocks.

And that's cool and all, but most jobs just show up, and you never earn jobs by playing in other ones, which is mostly what I'm looking for and what I like (and what I should have said). I liked how playing as one thing would teach you skill both in and out of game that would help you play later jobs, and how it was an incentive to play jobs you otherwise wouldn't and maybe learn something cool about them.

For example, I really can't see myself playing Thief or White Mage, like, ever.

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Thanks for the tip on melee skill links. Finally unlocked the last class and I linked all those katana skills... Pretty powerful!

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    What do skill links actually do?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Links let you "cancel" out of one attack and into another. A long attack animation isn't as huge a liability if you can immediately link into a backstep, for example.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    It also speeds up the skill being linked into and does more damage.

Like the tsubame skill in ninja is a pretty slow two hit skill.

If you link into it the skill completes in like half the time, making it far more desirable to use.

I still haven't unlocked samurai. Making that much extra junk is a pain, I'm close though. So I've just been making class sets so I can make presets with the proper look.

steam_sig.png
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Pretty good game so far. I have to ask though, where can I find the mats for the Great Armor set? I love "Judge" style armor, and this is the best I've got sofar. So I have to ask where I get the mats because I haven't seen anything like these so far.

Matthew wrote: »
    Pretty good game so far. I have to ask though, where can I find the mats for the Great Armor set? I love "Judge" style armor, and this is the best I've got sofar. So I have to ask where I get the mats because I haven't seen anything like these so far.

Without knowing what it calls for specifically...

Ores are floor nodes. If you don't have it it's probably not this! (Recommendation: Use thief!)
    Generic loot is tricky... check your notebook if you've gotten it before, but each monster family usually has two or three types it can drop (leather, fangs, etc.)
    Monster parts basically all name the monster they're from.
    Eidolon drops are tricky... if you go to accessories, each eidolon's accessory also requires its other drops, so that's my usual route.
    Schema start dropping in the 5* quests (job masteries) and from 6*+ eidolons and such

In other news... I have a quest to fight the character with the most appearances in the series (I think? They may have made enough FFVII spinoffs to dethrone him). This should be interesting.

So what exactly does Mastering a job do?

I just finished the Time Mage one and
    I might have some new passives? It looks like I can equip bows now and perhaps some extra hp and ap.

Is that it?

Yeah, thats all. Freelancer gets a couple things if you master everything.

I think firearms on geomancer is kind.of cool though, since their class skill is trap.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I'm kind of confused as to how exactly jobs that don't have the ability to become completely immune to attacks are supposed to survive. I'd experiment, but holy shit those attacks do a ton of damage if I screw up Deflect, even as a tank class.

I really should look into unlocking Paladin, I'm not even using the Warrior's ability right now.

A) Get the fuck out of the way (a lot of weapons have leap-away attacks for instance)
    B) Buff up
    C) Reraise. Like, I think Esuna can get it traited, so...
    D) Set Regen and bring a white chocobo. They are the best.

Like, I think the majority of weapons have something like a guard/counter skill on a low cooldown? For instance, daggers have both a short cooldown block-and-counter and a long cooldown negate attack skill. The ones that don't are ranged.

edited February 2016
    Oh, Dark Knight gets
    Dual Wield
    when Mastered. That's interesting.

Neurotika on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Links let you "cancel" out of one attack and into another. A long attack animation isn't as huge a liability if you can immediately link into a backstep, for example.

Aww man I was on the fence and then I opened this thread and you were talking about cancels.

Guess I'm getting this later.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh, Dark Knight gets
    Dual Wield

Most classes get dual wield. My black mage got it for mastery as well.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Oh, Dark Knight gets
    Dual Wield

Most classes get dual wield. My black mage got it for mastery as well.

Haha, I see the devs played a lot of FFXI then

Anyways, easy mode for getting the surge you need:
    Cura
    Esuna
    Curaga
    3 monsters

That lets you spam heals for resonance and to trip surges every third cast, and once you hit 3/4 per roll you can find things easy enough. Take the resonance and mutation boost mission modifiers too.

This is important for the white mage mastery quest...

The Thunder series are really good for it too, especially if you throw a couple multi-hits on them. Six hits means the surge triggers constantly.

My favorite skill right now is Steal with Death 8. Its amusing for farming normal monsters.

Polaritie wrote: »
    My favorite skill right now is Steal with Death 8. Its amusing for farming normal monsters.

I've got Death 5 on High Slash. Now half my fights just don't happen at all.

On a related note, I just made a Vigor Tie with Nullify Death, which is neat.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So, for the magicite exam. I...got the magicite. Like, I have the shiva magicite, but I didn't complete the quest? Even though it said quest complete on the ending screen?

What?

Edit: Nevermind. it triggered on the second try.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
    I don't know if it's because I have a spear that's a tier above the other weapons, but Dragoon seems really powerful.

Is Jump useful at all? I have a tendency to just completely ditch job abilities.

Jump has the traditional period of invincibility. Probably worth keeping, and you'll eventually be hurting for load anyways (there's a few REALLY good expensive moves, like Dragon Dive).

edited February 2016
    Hah, Zantetsuken actually has no damage component whatsoever, so Nullify Death makes it do absolutely nothing other than possibly a knockdown.

jothki on
    Yeah, taking nullify death just makes Odin so much easier.

Alraune atmalith if you need it. Should only take a couple minutes to get with beastmaster....

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Is there any reason to drop the Dark Knight companion? He seems to just wreck things 24/7.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    It takes up all three slots is about it.

Cactaur and Chocobo is a nice pairing - constant haste and heals.

• spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    I was thinking about switching him out for cactuar and malboro so i could be a plant warrior

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
    I use Cactuar and Mandragora for haste and heals. It works well.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Stupid question. I'm seriously considering getting this but...are there like Mon Hun armor sets? Is there like a wiki with high level armor/weapons? Glamour IS IMPORTANT!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg