As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I shoved my pen in my pocket so hard, I knocked my 6 months service pin off my uniform. :(

I know I got a 1 year flashlight and can get another pin, but it was the first time anyone ever noticed how hard I worked.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Quick question for @mully and anyone who does hiring stuff, how does the 'Serif' Resume template on Google Drive look? Seems a fairly clean single page layout, though I'll have to be selective about what I put on it to get it to fit (which is probably a good thing).

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36028368

I can't wait to earn six grand less than my male counterparts :rotate:

Liiya on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    My journey of 'may you live in interesting times' through the games industry continues

Project canceled (it was not announced) and studio shut down

Silver linings
    - no one was laid off or fired. We are going to be filtered to other studios within the mother company or given a termination package (if we don't want to be placed in another studio)
    - I can maybe move back to the US or go to Canada or something. Germany isnt really my thing

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Architecture has a pretty severe glass ceiling as far as I can tell. We've got 4 partners and 4 associates in the office, guess how many are women. And from what I know of other firms it often looks quite similar. It's especially fucked up because if I remember correctly more women than men actually study and get a degree in architecture.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »

Architecture has a pretty severe glass ceiling as far as I can tell. We've got 4 partners and 4 associates in the office, guess how many are women. And from what I know of other firms it often looks quite similar. It's especially fucked up because if I remember correctly more women than men actually study and get a degree in architecture.

I believe you are entirely correct! It is very annoying to realise statistics like that, I will probably notice it when I get into an office/studio/firm.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Smash the absolute shit out of that ceiling, for reals. I ain't got time to be dealing with managers who got there because they are blokes, they'll be shit and a shit manager is an expensive waste of a desk.

Although in my office, it's less prevalent. Of the directors in my department, both are male but their boss is a woman. Of the managers below them, about half and half? Same below that too. Which is good.

Sucks you'll be dealing with that, Liiya. Hopefully you'll be on the crest of a wave of change!

• Options
    Oh yeah I intend to smash it - there are a lot of women I have to look up to in this industry, there are lots of women in the council of the main bodies and I think until recently the head was a woman - so its all good!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    My journey of 'may you live in interesting times' through the games industry continues

Project canceled (it was not announced) and studio shut down

Silver linings
    - no one was laid off or fired. We are going to be filtered to other studios within the mother company or given a termination package (if we don't want to be placed in another studio)
    - I can maybe move back to the US or go to Canada or something. Germany isnt really my thing

Best of luck to you. Hopefully you get to move somewhere nice.

What are the problems with Germany? I always love to hear about people's outside view of country and culture.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah I intend to smash it - there are a lot of women I have to look up to in this industry, there are lots of women in the council of the main bodies and I think until recently the head was a woman - so its all good!

Could we see a new company in the near future? Liiyarchiparks?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    You've already got the connections to make it a multinational firm. You can set up headquarters in London, Boston, and Perth!

EDIT: WOW, were we discussing this article? Seems right on point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/13/arts/design/female-architects-speak-out-on-sexism-unequal-pay-and-more.html?_r=0

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Oof that speaks the truth. "I am not a decorator" yep, and I am not a gardener.

Though I am luckier than most, landscape architecture is a bit more obscure and a bit more relaxed than architecture even though we fall under the same umbrella, so I don't think I'll feel it quite as bad as my female friends in architecture.

• Options

Could we see a new company in the near future? Liiyarchiparks?

renb81pnycth.png

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Beautiful!

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    Please explain this phenomenon:

When I start work at 6am I get a lot of stuff done all day long

When I start work at 9:30 am it takes me until 11am to really get rolling

can anyone science this

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    When do the rest of your coworkers start, in either scenario?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    i posted this in chat but i want to post this here
    lol they opened registration for the work summit in switzerland and have flights to pick from
    but I don't have my passport with me so idk i can't finish it

so i just put in incomplete info and will update it tonight so i can get the flight i want

also they asked you about roommates

and i realize

i don't really have any work friends and that's part of the reason i am not super satisfied with this job

and it's hard because the teams here are very insular, like they all eat lunch basically with just their team, it can feel kind of cliquey

and the work i do is very solo / isolating, compared to much more team based work in the past, so it was easier to talk to people more regularly
    we also had good events and also used slack well for both work and just other interacting which made a good environment

i had so many friends at my last job, a good crew to go to lunch with etc, and some people i still keep in touch with, like when i went to grab dinner with my old boss yesterday, or one of my friends from that job went on a ski trip with me, etc
    and my first job too, i still have friends from there too

i feel so lonely

and spend a lot of time on forums or gchatting other people instead

it is not very motivating for me

hm

yeah, i miss my old job a lot, that type of environment made me actually want to do work and get stuff done

sigh

well, at least i am learning what is important to me, but dang, that's hard to really figure out beforehand

poo
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    When do the rest of your coworkers start, in either scenario?

I work from home a lot of days but anywhere between 6am to 9:30am

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I guess they got the new AC installed in school because it is 30 degrees in this library right now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    hello jobs thread

i don't post in this thread very much because my job, by and large, is very boring

but tomorrow i have an interview for a position up in the Seattle area and i am so nervous and excited

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Lightspeed not allowing product costs to be expressed by more than two decimel points is really screwing up my need for accuracy.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I love the conversion to chip cards, and how salty card thieves get when you tell them no, we can't just run it as credit.

Also we chased a pigeon all over the store today.

to be fair, I have two chipped credit cards that I don't know the PIN for because I've only ever used them as credit cards. I don't blame the store, though. It's just a hassle getting the pin reset and mailed to me when I'm overseas.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Solar wrote: »
    Smash the absolute shit out of that ceiling, for reals. I ain't got time to be dealing with managers who got there because they are blokes, they'll be shit and a shit manager is an expensive waste of a desk.

Although in my office, it's less prevalent. Of the directors in my department, both are male but their boss is a woman. Of the managers below them, about half and half? Same below that too. Which is good.

Sucks you'll be dealing with that, Liiya. Hopefully you'll be on the crest of a wave of change!

I encounter a weird inverse effect in certain kinds of engineering (it's been documented, too) - there's a dearth of women at the technical front-end, because companies are so desperate to improve their upper management ratios that women are promoted to managerial positions almost as soon as they are hired. Because "oh your soft/people skills are so good!" And that means that the technical side is still a boys club, and it's perceived that women don't have the technical chops to do 'real work'.

As someone who likes research and fears management, it's one of the things that made me turn back towards academia.

tynic on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I love the conversion to chip cards, and how salty card thieves get when you tell them no, we can't just run it as credit.
    The other day at CVS I had a cashier get salty at me about the chip reader. I put my card in, and I waited, and I waited, and I waited, and I eventually commented "Wow this chip reader is really slow" and he shoots back "All chip readers are slow".

No, dude, your chip readers take about 3x as long as any other I've ever used.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The other day at CVS I had a cashier get salty at me about the chip reader. I put my card in, and I waited, and I waited, and I waited, and I eventually commented "Wow this chip reader is really slow" and he shoots back "All chip readers are slow".

not in other countries :whistle:

• Options
    I have chip readers set up here, and I love them. I don't know anyone who still slides and signs.

I have been told by several other business owners to completely block the tap payment feature though, because there's no genuine authorization(Signature or pin) with the tap. It's apparently happened near here that if the person who made the tap purchase contests that the charge is legitimate, credit card processors will side with them no matter what evidence you may present them. A store was out like 600$ for that.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I like the chip readers but my shared bank account card doesn't have a chip but my personal one does

so I'm always mixing 'em up and looking like a doofus*

*well, more of a doofus

• Options
    Tap payment is such a standard thing now in Australia, that I can only think they must have established some kind of dispute resolution, because I can't imagine businesses being this cool with it otherwise.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

Quit lording your fancy internet infrastructure and secure financial transactions and free healthcare over us.

Oh wait, you live in the US now. Jokes on you!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

We get people trying to insert the chip upside down, inserting the side of the card without the chip, trying to slide the chip through the mag-stripe reader, jamming their card in so forcefully that they almost snap their card and cause a chip error, blindly poking their card at the pin pad keys, see message "do not remove card" removes card, so on and so on

• Options
    I can't use the slide on my cards that have chips even if I wanted to.

I'm not really a fan of them because most people have their card readers approximately 3 cm from the counter, so you have to pull off some david copperfield shit in order to get the card in.

• Options

Quit lording your fancy internet infrastructure and secure financial transactions and free healthcare over us.

It really is. I had to spend $25 on a chequebook because my electricity company charges $5 per transaction for an online payment, which is gonna add up quickly.

I haven't written a cheque since the 90s. To be honest I'm not sure I remember how. Do you still have to like, do that double-cross-out thing?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I know last year the chip readers at the places I frequent sucked, and were quite slow and finicky, but in the last 6 months I don't know if there was an update or what, but now they are peppy and work really well. It has completely changed my mind on the tech now that I can see what they do.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Tap payment is such a standard thing now in Australia, that I can only think they must have established some kind of dispute resolution, because I can't imagine businesses being this cool with it otherwise.

I'm not sure what there could be beyond like, providing footage of security camera footage showing the person using the card at a specific timestamp, maybe?
    Like, tap has absolutely no check on who is actually doing the tapping, so I can understand why credit card processors will side with customers who say it wasn't a legitimate purchase.
    A lot of places will have it enabled I'm finding, up to like 30-50 dollars though. I guess they consider that the threshold where the risk of a contested charge and the convenience of of tap meet?

Psykoma on
  • Options

We get people trying to insert the chip upside down, inserting the side of the card without the chip, trying to slide the chip through the mag-stripe reader, jamming their card in so forcefully that they almost snap their card and cause a chip error, blindly poking their card at the pin pad keys, see message "do not remove card" removes card, so on and so on

I occasionally insert my card in the wrong way because it has a shiny sticker just about the size of the chip in a roughly equivalent spot on the other side.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Contactless is the way and the light. Fuck waiting for the reader at a bar.
    Contactless means I can pay for these cocktails with a casual swipe!

Why yes I do rate financial infrastructure based on how it eases my ability to drink overpriced alcohol, what of it?

• Options
    Psykoma wrote: »

I'm not sure what there could be beyond like, providing footage of security camera footage showing the person using the card at a specific timestamp, maybe?
    Like, tap has absolutely no check on who is actually doing the tapping, so I can understand why credit card processors will side with customers who say it wasn't a legitimate purchase.
    A lot of places will have it enabled I'm finding, up to like 30-50 dollars though. I guess they consider that the threshold where the risk of a contested charge and the convenience of of tap meet?

Oh yeah there's always a limit - I think it's $50 at grocery stores, though I have encountered $100. And yeah they've probably optimised that algorithm.

• Options
    She's in the People's Republic of Cambridge so it's not quite the same.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular

I occasionally insert my card in the wrong way because it has a shiny sticker just about the size of the chip in a roughly equivalent spot on the other side.

Yeah I give people a pass on that.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular

It really is. I had to spend $25 on a chequebook because my electricity company charges $5 per transaction for an online payment, which is gonna add up quickly.

I haven't written a cheque since the 90s. To be honest I'm not sure I remember how. Do you still have to like, do that double-cross-out thing?

Do you not have National Grid?

This discussion has been closed.