As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DOOMED! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Turkson wrote: »
    This is the first brawl I will have not completed since they introduced them. I hated this one when it first came out. It's even worse now. This one needs to be removed from the game permanently.
    Grobian wrote: »
    I like this Brawl. It's better than any constructed brawl by default, but it's also one of the better pre-built brawls. I can see myself doing some dailies in this.

I love Wednesdays

Neurotika on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    If you're playing this brawl and you're offered a dragonkin sorcerer around turn 4, I recommend taking him.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Questing Adventurer also puts in work.

edit: and Mana Addict will teach you the true meaning of fear if you leave her alive.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    This brawl leads to a lot of interesting games that you otherwise would never see.

For example, yesterday I was in a game where my opponent took and played Ancient Shade, because technically you don't draw cards when your hand refills.

So I took a cold light oracle, to try and force him to take damage from drawing the spell.

There's a lot of back and forth as the game goes on, but eventually he ends up in a dominant board position. But then I'm offered consecrate when I have two equalities already. So now I have a soft lock on the board as I can equality+consec every other turn.

But he's smart too, and starts taking death rattle minions to whether the storm. Then the game offers me charge creatures and I take those to deal with the death rattle minions.

The cycle repeats for a few turns with him developing a board, me clearing it, and then running chargers into the surviving pieces. I've a got healbot I'm using to keep up on life. But he's taking over the game, and the turn before he assuredly kills me, I get off cold light and he's forced to draw BOTH ancient spells for exactly lethal.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Just played against a Control/Fatigue Priest who got 7 Board clears in his first 10 cards. (Double Light bomb, double nova, double doomsayer and 1 excavated evil) The other three cards were 2 deathlords and a power word glory.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I don't like this brawl. I just want my welfare pack, but the games are a total RNG fuckfest and always seem to take 20+ minutes.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    What are people's opinions on Lorewalker Cho as tech to deal with errant tempo mages. My idea is that it makes sense to use after dropping a valuable minion early game (like fully heads blademaster) as a means of target confusion.

Y/N?

If you Cho they'll just Flamecannon it, because you know they'll have it in hand every time.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    I don't like this brawl. I just want my welfare pack, but the games are a total RNG fuckfest and always seem to take 20+ minutes.

And of course I re-rolled into the "Everyone! Get in Here!" Brawl quest. Fuck that noise.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    Idx86 wrote: »

And of course I re-rolled into the "Everyone! Get in Here!" Brawl quest. Fuck that noise.
    I have completed that quest exactly one time. Otherwise I reroll the shit out of that thing.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Not Even Once

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    This brawl leads to a lot of interesting games that you otherwise would never see.

For example, yesterday I was in a game where my opponent took and played Ancient Shade, because technically you don't draw cards when your hand refills.

So I took a cold light oracle, to try and force him to take damage from drawing the spell.

There's a lot of back and forth as the game goes on, but eventually he ends up in a dominant board position. But then I'm offered consecrate when I have two equalities already. So now I have a soft lock on the board as I can equality+consec every other turn.

But he's smart too, and starts taking death rattle minions to whether the storm. Then the game offers me charge creatures and I take those to deal with the death rattle minions.

The cycle repeats for a few turns with him developing a board, me clearing it, and then running chargers into the surviving pieces. I've a got healbot I'm using to keep up on life. But he's taking over the game, and the turn before he assuredly kills me, I get off cold light and he's forced to draw BOTH ancient spells for exactly lethal.

I love that you had an evolving meta inside of one game.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    God I wish they created some sort of a "Hearthstone arcade" mode where you could pick past brawls to play whenever you wanted. Even if it's only with your B.net friends.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Random Brawl! When you queue into a Brawl, the red spinner thingy determines your Brawl type. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    I had a very high win rate in this brawl the last time around, so it can't be all that random. I mean, yes, there are those games where one guy pulls a Hobgoblin or something and that wins the game. However, a lot of games seem to be decided by the chicken fight at the beginning, and that's not all that random. The games do have a slower pace, so I can understand not liking that aspect of the brawl.

On the subject of random ways to win: I got a Forgotten Torch on about turn 3 once. That was ridiculous. It didn't go quite as badly for my opponent as expected though. I was really good at drawing the one Forgotten Torch, but not so good about drawing the growing pile of Roaring Torches that were eventually in the deck.

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Knowing that GVG is on the way out is making it harder to wait. I don't want to play against mechs or unstable portal or implosion anymore.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    (Drops from 17 to 20)

...is there any reason not to make a Reno deck for every single class? Because that's the only thing I've got that's actually winning against anything.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    (Drops from 17 to 20)

...is there any reason not to make a Reno deck for every single class? Because that's the only thing I've got that's actually winning against anything.

There's a large tradeoff with Reno- you sacrifice having two copies of your best non-legend cards for the ability to heal to full...if you draw Reno before you need him.

(Note: The only decks this isnt true for is fatigue decks- you plan on playing him with your deck empty or near-empty, so it's not really a concern there).

I find in general Reno decks are very inconsistent, but if you enjoy playing them and they're winning for you, I'd say keep on trucking with it!

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    (Drops from 17 to 20)

There's a large tradeoff with Reno- you sacrifice having two copies of your best non-legend cards for the ability to heal to full...if you draw Reno before you need him.

(Note: The only decks this isnt true for is fatigue decks- you plan on playing him with your deck empty or near-empty, so it's not really a concern there).

I find in general Reno decks are very inconsistent, but if you enjoy playing them and they're winning for you, I'd say keep on trucking with it!

Some classes are better off than others with enough quality cards to go highlander reno.

It's going to be interesting when GvG and Naxx get rotated out if there's enough quality in singleton cards to still run competitive Reno decks.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    reno is my new favorite archetype for pretty much every class

I even was doing reno hunter

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    PacMan1979PacMan1979 Registered User regular
    I love playing against Reno decks, especially after I get them to near death, They Reno back to 30, and I still win a few turns later. Its like I was destined to win.

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    I'm trying out Rogue again solely because Anubarak is the hotness.

That card makes me feel all kinds of giddy.

Have won 80% of games the last couple of days.
    I'm only just starting so I'm still in lower ranks (18-17) but it's fun as hell when it works.

Maybe I can make it a Reno deck?
    Dunno... running a single eviscerate or concentration sounds scary.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    You can still run two, just use one or have it in hand before you Reno

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    yeah i see plenty of reno decks running multiple copies of 1-2 key cards

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I actually really like Reno Rogue, because rogue has a ton of redundancy in removal and AoE. Backstab, SI, FoN, Flurry, Betrayal, Skulker, Evis, Sabatoge, Assassinate, you can throw a Wild Pyro in there, Poison, Oil...

there's a lot of options, it can work.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I actually really like Reno Rogue, because rogue has a ton of redundancy in removal and AoE. Backstab, SI, FoN, Flurry, Betrayal, Skulker, Evis, Sabatoge, Assassinate, you can throw a Wild Pyro in there, Poison, Oil...

there's a lot of options, it can work.

Reno rogue sounds damn interesting. I'd always found that weapon-focused decks tended to have the problem that the removal eventually ate too far into your health.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    Not Even Once
    The only time I completed it was the Underdog brawl, which I 5-0'd.

• Options
    How does The Coin work in this brawl anyway?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

I think it's single-use, unlike the Tarnished Coins which go back into your deck when used, but I can't 100% verify that.

• Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I think it's single-use, unlike the Tarnished Coins which go back into your deck when used, but I can't 100% verify that.

That is how it looks to me as well.

edit: basing that off not being able to recall having seen any "The Coin"s floating around later in matches (as opposed to Tarnished Coins), but actually is there even a The Coin in this? I just realized I don't recall ever starting out with something besides the usual hand of four cards.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    There is a normal Coin in this for whoever goes second.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Random Brawl! When you queue into a Brawl, the red spinner thingy determines your Brawl type. :)

Double down on the Random and BOTH players get a Random Brawl Ruleset!

(This might actually be amazing... or incredibly terrible)

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Pretty sure coins go back into your deck like all cards you play.

Ed: ah wait you mean THE coin. Dunno.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    It seems that if you have the coin and don't use it, it goes into your deck and will pop out later on, but once used, it is gone.

404 not found
  • Options
    Jimbo wrote: »
    It seems that if you have the coin and don't use it, it goes into your deck and will pop out later on, but once used, it is gone.
    Which is annoying if this is indeed the case, as it means you won't necessarily have it the turn you want it. I'd be curious to see the 1st vs 2nd win rate in this Brawl, as it feels like the typical advantages of going second seem to be diminished here.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Roz wrote: »

I love that you had an evolving meta inside of one game.

There are times where I pick up a tech card like Blood Knight, and I get really sad that I have to play it out for tempo, because I reeeeally want them to pick up a divine shield card. 1/10th of your deck is a divine shield card, and 1/10th of my deck is Blood Knight? Come onnnn!

• Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    This guy started with FOUR coins in his hand and was offered a 5 drop on turn 1 (silverhand knight).

I still won.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I just concede when you lose that much tempo that early. It's possible to climb back but probably easier to just queue up a new game.

• Options
    InqInq Registered User regular
    the fact that you might trade 5 chickens / spare parts for one 5-mana card isn't as bad in this brawl as it would be otherwise. You re-draw a new hand every turn no matter how many cards you use.

• Options
    Yeah, this is one of my favorite brawls.

I won as a Hunter because, early on, I picked up Mind Control Tech, King Crush and, a little later, THE HAT OF DOOM. My opponent, a Paladin, was dropping Sea Giants like crazy, but I'd be able to throw out a couple of minions, steal one of his, and HAT UP to take out the remaining giant.

The game was a series of wild back-and-forths, with massive board clears and a gradual plinking at faces.

Finally, one turn before he probably had lethal on me, I got him to exactly 8 HP and drew King Crush. KABLAAAAM!

I think, at the end, my deck was ~half HATS.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Yeah, this is one of my favorite brawls.

I won as a Hunter because, early on, I picked up Mind Control Tech, King Crush and, a little later, THE HAT OF DOOM. My opponent, a Paladin, was dropping Sea Giants like crazy, but I'd be able to throw out a couple of minions, steal one of his, and HAT UP to take out the remaining giant.

The game was a series of wild back-and-forths, with massive board clears and a gradual plinking at faces.

Finally, one turn before he probably had lethal on me, I got him to exactly 8 HP and drew King Crush. KABLAAAAM!

I think, at the end, my deck was ~half HATS.

You like Explorer's Hat in this brawl? I was thinking it would suck, because every time you play it, you end up with 2 Hats in your deck.