As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Desert Online (Orwen Server Ch. Mediah O1)

• ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    So no male Tamers then.

Do we know if these expansions will be free or if we'd have to buy them?

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    They should all be free, they weren't monetized in the outright F2P versions. Mind the cash shop hasn't seemed much different from a F2P cash shop so far, but we'll have to see if they make any changes. It won't even be live until the 3rd.

As for Tamers... nope. They might someday add an equivalent but it's hard to tell whether they'd want to do that or focus on a class with entirely new mechanics. If it's the Super Uguu factor, you could peruse: http://www.bdotemplates.com/class/tamer/ to try and find something that's a bit less sugary nauseating.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited February 2016
    Also you can totally ride your horse in the desert, it's just slower and not as effective.

To add extra padding to this post, found a... Guide of Guides. A nice big listing of useful stuff: http://www.blackdesertnexus.com/the-guide-to-guides/

Arthil on
    Uhhh.... well looks like they decided to add a third server out of the blue, 9 hours before headstart x_x.

• jimmyw404jimmyw404 Registered User new member
    edited February 2016
    I'm pretty pumped for BDO. Which server is PA joining?

I'm rolling on Edan with my guild, PRX. I'm playing a Sorcereress. I'm most excited for the siege and castle PvP. In our last game, ArcheAge, we've held a castle on Kyrios from the time they're available to now (15 months!) and had a lot of fun defending it.

jimmyw404 on
    We're gonna be hitting Orwen, mostly to avoid the big stompy PvP guilds. Doubtful it'll actually have us avoid it but given we're small :P. Are you a friend of someone in the thread?

Also, should be able to update your clients now.

Just a reminder to everyone.

PICK THE RIGHT SERVER

Don't be in too big of a rush, be calm. If you pick the wrong server, your reserved names will be stuck on there until you can delete them and that takes 24 hours. Channels within the server don't matter so much.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    I can't believe I am up at 4am on a Sunday for a game launch...

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    edited February 2016
    Madame Mim's gonna fuck some shit up.

Edit: Right server is Orwen by the way hey @MyDcmbr could you make sure that's in the title?

PxZBakd.png

Arthil on
    edited February 2016
    Part of me doesn't want to make the clan but seeing as I appear to be the first one playing :P Let's work out a poll with some of the ideas.

POLL CREATED: http://strawpoll.me/6943758 Three options with a fourth for suggesting your ideas HERE in the thread. @ me with them.

Edit: I see someone voted a suggestion, c'mon guys post it :P

Arthil on
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    2 questions loves,

1) How big is the client download aprox?

2) Anyone have a guest pass I could so I could give the game a go at launch before I make any bad impluse decisions

edited February 2016
    Around 31 GB, and there should be plenty of guest passes to go around come release. Can't give them out until then obviously :D

Arthil on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dubaku, Warrior of some Renown! Family name Axen.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    My character name is Morinth, family name Kysse. I'm liking this so far! The combat is fast and visceral.

I chose to play as a Sorceress. I hear they're difficult to master, but I couldn't resist a dark magic monk.

Edit: I just made a Valkyrie, too. Agh, both are fun. This is going to be a hard choice.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited February 2016
    Some tips for anyone new.

Talk to all the NPCs you can (the ones that have the purple icon next to their name). If you see a ? on your minimap find that person. Talking to new NPCs gets you Knowledge. The Knowledge you gain will help increase your Energy Cap. Some NPCs won't talk to you until you've talked to another NPC or done some stuff around town.

Sometimes when talking to an NPC you will see a dialog option that will consume Energy. These will give you Knowledge and either uncover locations on your map, give you access to a new NPC, give you new Conversation Topics, or even unlock new quests elsewhere. This is something I think is always worth spending the Energy on.

During CBT2 I noticed a lot of people complaining about loot on Mobs despawning too fast. Now I can't comment on whether or not that is actually a thing, what I can tell you (and what I think was happening most of the time) is that loot on the ground becomes free for anyone to take after like a minute or so. Heh, I actually go around battlefields and just pick up all the loot people haven't gotten around to grabbing yet. So, remember to loot after each kill!

edit- In CBT2 I was about level 20 and had an Energy Cap of around 45. Currently I am level 13 and have a Energy Cap of 42! Sooo many NPCs out there to talk to.

Also, your Family shares your Energy Cap, but each character consumes their own Energy. So say you use up all your 40 Energy on one character and switch to an Alt that Alt will still have 40 Energy.

You Contribution Points are shared among your Family and all the Nodes you have unlocked, all the workers you have working, and all the buildings you have are also shared.

Axen on
    edited February 2016
    Sorry for any wait, gonna add you guys to my friends for the moment. Took a cat nap. Character name is Madame_Mim with family name being Undor. Okay we've got four votes for Arcadians, 2 for SixMouths 1 for NICE and a lone one for their own suggestion who didn't bother making it :P. Arcadians we shall be.

Arthil on
    Here's a question I just thought of. How easy/hard is it to change your character's appearance after character creation?

Well if you pre-ordered you can do it once for one character if you went with a $50+ bundle. Otherwise it's $8 on the cash shop come Thursday. However, there's a version for $10 that let's you freely change all of your characters appearance for 30 days freely.

edited February 2016
    Also @Axen Come on Teamspeak :pop:

Edit: Also Clan is created!

Edit 2: PSA, you're gonna need to be in the same channel/next to each other to add friends/invite to clan and or guild.

Arthil on
    Lvl 16. 50 energy pool, 34 CP. lol

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well if you pre-ordered you can do it once for one character if you went with a $50+ bundle. Otherwise it's $8 on the cash shop come Thursday. However, there's a version for $10 that let's you freely change all of your characters appearance for 30 days freely.

Hm. Bit steep.

Is there a way to just create a character for appearance's sake, before the game is live?

There was but that ended on the 22nd.

Hm. Bit steep.

Is there a way to just create a character for appearance's sake, before the game is live?

When making a character you can save the appearance and then just not actually make the character.

Later on when you want to actually make the character you can load up the saved appearance data.

You can even upload or download designs from BDO Templates!

So Arthil and I are in game at the moment. Serendia 01 is the channel. Clan/Guild invites must be done in person.

edited February 2016
    Well seeing as my "early start" isn't until the 2nd guess I'll have to wait.

And I did check out the templates site, but they only have one Blader on there. :)

EDIT: Now that I actually looked it up, I guess Blader isn't part of the NA release yet. Shame. Guess I'll play a Tamer for now.

Are the names we reserved good until we use them? 'Coz the name I picked is meant for a Blader...

ringswraith on
    You could make a character to hold onto it.

So is there any advantage to being like top 5 in something? I have been in the top 4-15 all day in trading. Not sure if it's worth it to keep busting my trade rump or not.

Steam
    @MyDcmbr We need to get you into the clan.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I keep trying to send people friend requests but all I get back is the message "Can't find the character."

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Gotta be in the same channel at least, possibly right next to each other.

Yeah, will probably have to do that. Though I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it takes 24 hours to delete a character...

Yeah, will probably have to do that. Though I seem to recall hearing somewhere that it takes 24 hours to delete a character...

NOPE nevermind. Names are locked for 30 days, deletion or no. Same account that used it or not.

edited February 2016
    Server is down for maintenance for the next three hours per the forums.

Hopefully it will be less.

In other news: you need a lot of bag space and a good fishing pole to AFK fish while sleeping lol. I forgot to turn off my alarm today, so I woke up at 5am as usual, and I went to bed around 11pm. When I got to my character, just before the servers went down, my bag was full and the pole was almost broken. I currently have 34 slots in my bag, and had taken everything not fishing related out except my weapon.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    edited February 2016
    I'll just repost this since it is a unusual system.
    Axen wrote: »

edit 2- Time for a PSA

qgHNYmi.jpg

See in Box 1 how I have those blue marks there under Attack Speed, Casting Speed, and Movement Speed? Over in Box 2 you can see that that particular piece of gear adds +1 to Movement, has a gem that also adds +1 to Movement and as part of a 3-Piece set adds +2 to Attack & Casting Speed. (I also have another piece that adds +1 to Attack Speed)

This is where things get weird. Those +"to whatever" are not a flat bonus. They simply add to the Enhancement Level of that particular thing listed in Box 1.

What this means is that when I level up I'll get an increase to my Attack, Casting, and Movement Speed based on what level the Enhancement is at (in this case Level 3 for Attack Speed and 2 for Casting and Movement.

How much of an actual increase I get when I level up I've no idea. But if it is sitting at Level 0 then I'd get no increase to the corresponding stat listed in Box 1 when I level up.

This is something you need to watch out for when picking gear.

And on the topic of gear sets, unlike other MMOs (or games in general) you're not really continually getting better gear exactly. Apart from going from your newbie rags to not-newbie-rags most of the gear sets offer similar defense. Maybe 1 or 2 point difference.

The key thing you want to watch out for are the set bonuses. These come in all sorts of different styles. From stuff that just adds +X HP to +weight limit or gear sets that increase those various stats I described above. You'll have to keep an eye out for what works best for you and your class/play style.

To increase the actual defense of your armor you'll need to find Black Stones (one for Armor and one for Weapons). These increase the base stats of an item. I used one on that chest piece in the pic above (hence the +1). This actually increased the DP (defense) for that chest piece by 5-6 points (going from about 5 or 6 DP to 11 DP).

Other random things.

Fishing is an excellent way to make that dosh. I do not know if it is the fastest way, but it is certainly up there. You can also find keys while fishing that are used to open chests in dungeons (and very rarely in the open world).

When getting in to the business of business. I strongly recommend (after you build Lodgings and Storage) you setup a Refinery to create Black Stone Powder (if I remembered the name correctly). That stuff is the cornerstone ingredient for a ton of crafting. The powder comes from Rough Stones and (AFAIK) those stones are something your workers cannot get themselves (though they can totally process them). You have to put in the time to collect them. There are three common ways of getting Rough Stone; random drops of mobs, mine it yourself (I think any mining node gives Rough Stones), buy it off the Marketplace. I actually bought out all the stones on the Marketplace at one point. About 200 or so in all and it was not at all expensive. The average price (at the time) was 108 silver apiece. It takes 2 (IIRC) to create Black Stone Powder which I could turn around and sell on the Marketplace for 1k-ish apiece. :razz:

So to recap: Get Lodgings, get storage, get a refinery, get a bunch of Rough Stones, and dedicate a worker to processing Rough Stones. Once you got that going then feel free to expand in to other industries.

Axen on
    So, while Daum hasn't said when we'll get Mediah the RU version got Mediah and Blader (oddly not Plum though) about a month and a half after launch.

The Guild warfare and siege stuff comes a bit later. The KR version is rolling out a big update to Guild warfare that apparently will add/change a bunch of stuff for the better. It'll also add dueling which, hilariously, hasn't been a thing until this update. Daum is waiting on this update and will be adding that version to NA/EU BDO.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So I just picked this up. Accidentally bought the explorers package so, whelp guess I'm in now. I'm assuming Orewen is an NA server?

Yep.

Far as I'm aware you can't see the EU servers if your NA (and vice versa). Though I think you can set whether your NA or EU.

Arcadians is the clan. A little annoying, but you have yo do clan/guild invites in person.

Yes but you won't have access until the 3rd if you just bought it. Feel free to add your name to the spreadsheet :D

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Yes but you won't have access until the 3rd if you just bought it. Feel free to add your name to the spreadsheet :D

Yeah it's fine, knew that, it's a big download though so wanted it to get it out of the way.

So I got stuck in the whole no items fiasco. And even after reading the thread on the forums I am still not sure when I am going to get my items.

Steam