As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Running into glitched saves in C&C3.

Replayed fun missions.

First Italian Nod mission went south, then I realized I could move MCV's, and then realized the mission was linked to an objective, then realized I could sneak into a base with my spies, then realized I could capture facilities, then I realized I could effect a......surprise thermal-nuclear curb stomp.

I really hope EA revives or reboots both the C&C series and the FPS spinoff(S).

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    OK, that was another 5 hours to polish off the Baba Yaga DLC and wrap up some "quick" achievements.

I don't know as the Baba Yaga bit is worth 10 bucks if you've already completed the main story. You get a bow and outfit from it, and I would have liked having those while playing through the game proper - they're nothing gamebreaking, just fun. It also has a single collectible that was obviously placed by someone who was tired of people complaining that the game was lacking in challenging platforming bits, and I can't talk about that without using some words I try not to use in company.

So sort-of-recommended, but if you're just doing it to get the story (which is pretty cool), be warned that it's probably only an hour or so if you just power through it, assuming you get lucky with deer spawns at a certain point.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

Replayed fun missions.

First Italian Nod mission went south, then I realized I could move MCV's, and then realized the mission was linked to an objective, then realized I could sneak into a base with my spies, then realized I could capture facilities, then I realized I could effect a......surprise thermal-nuclear curb stomp.

Yeah, I recently went back through the campaigns for C&C Generals and Zero Hour myself. Leaving aside that Generals is kind of a mutant offspring (mechanically, it's closer to Warcraft/Starcraft than mainline C&C) that milks the War on Terror for all its worth, they're still pretty fun. The missions do a reasonable job of introducing each side's units and play style, and there's something to be said for an RTS that lets you play the bad guys in the second act. The unit quotes are burned into my brain.

I'm not holding my breath for a series comeback, but I'd be one of the first in line if they did. Spent so many hours on Red Alert multiplayer.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »

Replayed fun missions.

Yeah, I recently went back through the campaigns for C&C Generals and Zero Hour myself. Leaving aside that Generals is kind of a mutant offspring (mechanically, it's closer to Warcraft/Starcraft than mainline C&C) that milks the War on Terror for all its worth, they're still pretty fun. The missions do a reasonable job of introducing each side's units and play style, and there's something to be said for an RTS that lets you play the bad guys in the second act. The unit quotes are burned into my brain.

I'm not holding my breath for a series comeback, but I'd be one of the first in line if they did. Spent so many hours on Red Alert multiplayer.

Didn't they try to reboot the franchise as a facebook game, at some point?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    ajxfenc08evz.jpg

@MNC Dover Monsters, everywhere :O
    I don't know what i did to deserve this but it's much appreciated!

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @Antoshka DOOD! struck in the middle of the night! Thank you!!!

zYSxnEB.png

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    @Antoshka DOOD! struck in the middle of the night! Thank you!!!

zYSxnEB.png

Oh. Right. Disgaea PC is coming up. Fuck. Well, time to play this game a fourth time.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Replayed fun missions.

Yes, as well as a free to play game.

Both were cancelled for not meeting EA's standards.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Replayed fun missions.

Yes, as well as a free to play game.

Both were cancelled for not meeting EA's standards.

They couldn't exploit workers and customers enough?

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    EA has standards?

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Aw man, a new SimAnt would have been fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Just a quick reminder that my Groundhog/Birthday giveaways end tonight as I eat cake (or whoopee pies). I can't easily repost it from the dead thread from my cell phone though...

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Is Disgaea the game where you can actually go into realms within your items in order to level them up alongside your characters and then reset characters to the start and do it again but better? I could see that being...a problem.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    Is Disgaea the game where you can actually go into realms within your items in order to level them up alongside your characters and then reset characters to the start and do it again but better? I could see that being...a problem.
    Yup. Also the level cap in the game is not 99, no no no. It's 9999

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Mudzgut wrote: »

Disgaea was basically designed for undergrad students and the unemployed.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Vampire: Bloodlines question
    So I just got the feud called off in Santa Monica, were Jeanette and Theresa ever separate people or were they always just a split personality? There's something in the conversation about "bringing her into this body" but not sure if that was just a figure of speech.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So I just got the feud called off in Santa Monica, were Jeanette and Theresa ever separate people or were they always just a split personality? There's something in the conversation about "bringing her into this body" but not sure if that was just a figure of speech.
    They were always the same person. That's her manifestation of the Malkavian madness.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey peeps
    gonna try once again to come back to this thread
    I have a few dusty Steam game keys to give away, how does the code thing work, exactly?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Hey peeps
    gonna try once again to come back to this thread
    I have a few dusty Steam game keys to give away, how does the code thing work, exactly?

{codes} onekeyperpost {/codes}

But with the square brackets

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Oh God I don't have time for Disgaea right now. XCOM 2 is coming on Friday. Stop screwing with me, Steam!

Oh lawd it is only $20. I guess I know where some allowance is going if this snowstorm ever ends and I can make it to the grocery store again.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    They were always the same person. That's her manifestation of the Malkavian madness.
    Given the painting of the girls with their father, I always wondered if the two were real sisters to begin with. Maybe one got turned, the other died, and the remaining one manifested the other's personality out of grief and madness. Alternately, given their backstory, there was just one girl to begin with who developed an alternate personality in response to sexual abuse well before being turned into a vampire. I don't believe her history is ever really defined.

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'm stuck in tomb raider: legend.

All this raiding of tombs got me wondering what tombs I hadn't raided. Well I will finish FF VIII sometime. And Doom, yeah I started that too. Oh wait, Stick of Truth? Don't worry, I didn't forget you. No I won't get side-tracked with Bioshock, or Borderlands 2, Or The Bard's Tale. . .

I've been steam Threaded. . .

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Soooo... Disgaea is good then? I blew it off when I first saw it pop up on the store. Someone sell me (a person who never heard of it) on it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Disgaea might want too reconsider their font choice, I first read it as "Poop Edition"

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Disgaea might want too reconsider their font choice, I first read it as "Poop Edition"

I think they just know their audience.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Soooo... Disgaea is good then? I blew it off when I first saw it pop up on the store. Someone sell me (a person who never heard of it) on it.

How much do you like watching numbers get bigger?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I think I have disgaea 1 on all possible platforms except for steam. Never played it for more than 15 hours, i.e. barely touched it.

EDIT: Crap, how do I "extract" the key from my inventory games without sending the game to people?

Anyways, I have:
    - Civ IV
    - Portal
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Cthulhu Saves the World
    - Bit.trip Runner
    - XCOM Enemy Unknown
    - Mighty Quest for Epic Loot x3
    - Gun Monkeys
    - Defence Grid + Containment DLC
    - Nuclear Throne
    - MGSV Ground Zeroes.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

How much do you like watching numbers get bigger?

I mean. There's certain things I like to watch get bigger... But if it's numbers, that only really applies to my bank account.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

One word: Prinny
    mX6UkZn.jpg

A quick little overview: http://kotaku.com/whats-a-disgaea-a-beginners-guide-to-tactical-role-p-1441927217
    I'm sure someone in here will describe it better though.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Group chat broken, or did I forget to shower?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Given the painting of the girls with their father, I always wondered if the two were real sisters to begin with. Maybe one got turned, the other died, and the remaining one manifested the other's personality out of grief and madness. Alternately, given their backstory, there was just one girl to begin with who developed an alternate personality in response to sexual abuse well before being turned into a vampire. I don't believe her history is ever really defined.
    Theories tend to fall into the following:
    It was only Therese at first who developed the split personality at some point due to the abuse from her father or other sources. Therese kills the father after catching him with "Jeannette" and winds up in a mental institution. There's mention of an escape from there whether that's due to actually escaping by herself or being Embraced. Jeanette resurfaces after either escaping treatment in the former case or due to becoming Malkavian in the latter.

The other is that there were two girls and Therese killed the real Jeannette along with their father. The split personality comes from mentally breaking down from that act.

I tend towards the former and suspect most people due given the way it's presented. The painting is really heavily stylized so I don't take it to be a literal portrait.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    @Pixelated Pixie

Disgaea is a tactics RPG with numerous character classes, a lengthy story, and near-infinite optional dungeons thanks to the item world. Have a super cool sword but wish it was better _and_ feel the need to grind to get beefed up for a boss fight? Hop _into_ the sword. Clearing floors makes the sword stronger, your dudes earn experience, and you earn more items to equip on characters and possibly jump into in the future.

I also enjoyed the story, but I occasionally enjoy anime bullshit.

You can do team up attacks either if your guys are next to each other or surrounding the enemy (I can't remember which it's been a long time since I played the PS2 game). And you can pick guys up and throw them across the map to access otherwise inaccessible areas or, if you start your turn with two characters next to each other), you can pick up one guy, throw him, and then let him take his turn as normal to effectively double his movement range.

Also, the art is pretty great if you're into the anime style at all.

There's also some nonsense about a demon congress, but I can't really remember what it is for.

EDIT: Here are the character classes
    Male Martial Artist
    Female Martial Artist
    Male Warrior
    Female Warrior
    Mage (female)
    Skull
    Male Cleric
    Female Cleric
    Thief (female)
    Archer (female)
    Knight (male)
    Ninja (male)
    Samurai (female)
    Scout (male)
    EDF Soldier
    Angel
    Majin

And here are the monsters you can recruit:
    Beast
    Dark Knight
    Dragon
    Faery
    Galactic Demon
    Gargoyle
    Golem
    Great Wyrm
    Nether Noble
    Kit Cat
    Lantern
    Nosferatu
    Prinny
    Serpent
    Shadow
    Spirit
    Succubus
    Treant
    Undead
    Winged

It's seriously cool to roll in with whatever squad you want. Laharl, Etna, and Flonne are cool pre-made characters, but I really like taking my own guys in.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    @Pixelated Pixie

Disgaea is a tactics RPG with numerous character classes, a lengthy story, and near-infinite optional dungeons thanks to the item world. Have a super cool sword but wish it was better _and_ feel the need to grind to get beefed up for a boss fight? Hop _into_ the sword. Clearing floors makes the sword stronger, your dudes earn experience, and you earn more items to equip on characters and possibly jump into in the future.

You can do team up attacks either if your guys are next to each other or surrounding the enemy (I can't remember which it's been a long time since I played the PS2 game). And you can pick guys up and throw them across the map to access otherwise inaccessible areas or, if you start your turn with two characters next to each other), you can pick up one guy, throw him, and then let him take his turn as normal to effectively double his movement range.

There's also some nonsense about a demon congress, but I can't really remember what it is for.

As someone who doesn't tend to like anime, I've loved the story in every Disgaea game.

As far as team attacks go, you can do it by standing next to your other characters. If your current character can have a friend on his left, right, and back *, while attacking the enemy in front of him. There is a chance for 1, 2, or all 3 adjacent characters to jump in to assist.
    * A T-shape basically, they cannot assist if they are at a diagonal square from the attacking character

The crazy thing about all that is that you can undo moves of characters who haven't "acted" yet. A move isn't considered an act. So you could, for example, move one character into attack position, surround him on all sides with friends, attack to pull off a team attack, then undo the moves of all 3 friend characters and have them go back to their original position. Only the first character will have "acted" and be unable to move or attack again. HOWEVER he can still participate in team attacks, so if you end up moving other characters near him who attack an enemy, there's a chance he will assist.
    It's ridiculous and awesome.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie

The Demon Congress allows you to pass certain "edicts" that make you more able/powerful in a variety of ways. And you can bribe the congress with items to try and swing the vote in your favor.

In the item worlds you can find new soldiers for your demon army (provided you "rescue" them before that level's monsters kill them). Also, if you happen to work your way through a weapon's worlds, you can (At least in the DS version, which I think the Steam one is partially derived from) extract the abilities of that weapon and stick it into another weapon, then grind up/sell/whatever the old item (you can even use empty items to bribe the congress).

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The tone in general is pretty light hearted in a somewhat black comedy way. Not a series you go to for drama and tension. A series you go to to pit your squad of fallen souls against a squad of Power Rangers.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I think I have disgaea 1 on all possible platforms except for steam. Never played it for more than 15 hours, i.e. barely touched it.

EDIT: Crap, how do I "extract" the key from my inventory games without sending the game to people?

Anyways, I have:
    - Civ IV
    - Portal
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Cthulhu Saves the World
    - Bit.trip Runner
    - XCOM Enemy Unknown
    - Mighty Quest for Epic Loot x3
    - Gun Monkeys
    - Defence Grid + Containment DLC
    - Nuclear Throne
    - MGSV Ground Zeroes.

no one wants to help me give away some games?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Theories tend to fall into the following:
    It was only Therese at first who developed the split personality at some point due to the abuse from her father or other sources. Therese kills the father after catching him with "Jeannette" and winds up in a mental institution. There's mention of an escape from there whether that's due to actually escaping by herself or being Embraced. Jeanette resurfaces after either escaping treatment in the former case or due to becoming Malkavian in the latter.

The other is that there were two girls and Therese killed the real Jeannette along with their father. The split personality comes from mentally breaking down from that act.

I tend towards the former and suspect most people due given the way it's presented. The painting is really heavily stylized so I don't take it to be a literal portrait.
    My guess is the painting is mainly there to throw the player off and make the big reveal more shocking.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    @Pixelated Pixie

The Demon Congress allows you to pass certain "edicts" that make you more able/powerful in a variety of ways. And you can bribe the congress with items to try and swing the vote in your favor.

In the item worlds you can find new soldiers for your demon army (provided you "rescue" them before that level's monsters kill them). Also, if you happen to work your way through a weapon's worlds, you can (At least in the DS version, which I think the Steam one is partially derived from) extract the abilities of that weapon and stick it into another weapon, then grind up/sell/whatever the old item (you can even use empty items to bribe the congress).

Also, if your proposal fails in congress or you didn't bribe them enough you can just reject their ruling, kill everyone there and get your proposal passed anyway.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    @Pixelated Pixie

Also, if your proposal fails in congress or you didn't bribe them enough you can just reject their ruling, kill everyone there and get your proposal passed anyway.

Fair warning, sometimes some senators are more of the Teddy Roosevelt school of politicians. Make sure you check the senators' levels before trying this.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    I forgot American Truck Simulator was releasing today, and only $20!

It's a little bare at the moment with only parts of California and Nevada available and only 2 trucks, but they're working on licensing and plan to provide more area in future updates.

This discussion has been closed.