As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Last night a villager in Stardew Valley had an event where they asked me to help her beat a level in a co-op game. I was expecting a little dialogue scene with a question to respond to like other npc events. Nope. There's actually a twin stick shooter minigame inside the game and I had to shoot down orcs while the npc complained each time her cowboy died.

Also, if you have a beehive and plant a flower near the hive, once the flower is in bloom the bees will use it to make higher quality honey.

This game has so many touches like this and it is amazing.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    ElvenshaeSpoitHyphyKezzyDarkPrimusIoloStabbity StyleSir CarcassWerewolf2000adJazzdestroyah87cB557StollsTeeManArdentAegeriJaysonFourCommander Zoom
  • MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Ah. Bummer. I don't want to play on a server with other people because the point of the game for me is going from nothing to something, and being on a server where people already have advanced tech and share stuff (or kill you instead) takes away from that for me.

But I'm also concerned that it's not really possible to ever develop all the tech alone - like you can't get all the skills yourself, so you're screwed if you play alone. I was hoping for confirmation from Kal that you can play alone and still get to where you can build and have cool toys.

Technically you CAN get everything on your own, just not right away and not all through engram (skill) points. Blueprints drop in the supply drops that allow you to make whatever the blueprint is for without needing any of the prior engrams in that tree. In fact, the blueprints for many items are better than the generic ones you make with the engrams. You can also get the recipe for a respec meal which refunds all your points, both stats and engrams, allowing you to level up and select what you need, then later go back and respec around what blueprints you have in order to pick up other engrams instead.

If I was going full single player, I would pick and choose things to keep me alive and assist in my taming abilities. Once I had a decent stable of dinos and a mini-fortress, I'd take stock of what blueprints I have and respec accordingly to allow for expanding the fortress and taming bigger/badder things. It can be done, it would just take awhile.

That said, playing on the PvE PA server was great fun! As it's been said, plenty of folks started from scratch and took no assistance for a bulk, if not all of their ARK journey. At the same time, some of the bigger and longer time tames are much more fun when you have a few folks helping keep a lookout and keep you company while you wait. Taming parties were a great time - people would head out with various goals and we inevitably always tamed quite a few other dinos that came our way during the tames. Almost everyone would head home with mini-caravans of new dinos for their stable. Also - like Drascin said, you can talk to folks and find things out before going nuts with something only to find out it doesn't work that way. And more than that (at least for myself and Tika) it was fun sometimes just to login and goof around while having folks to chat with and get help from when we needed it.

Definitely a great game - tons of updates have come out since I played last. At some point I'm sure I'll find another server or there will be a reset or something and I'll get back into it for a time. Never did get a chance to try out the dino breeding or really use some of the higher tech items.

EDIT: Why can't I type respec without adding a t?

Mudzgut on
    steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
    HyphyKezzyKalnaurIolo
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    New STRAFE trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H0dV69ISlU

Also announced that they're being published by Devolver, and that they're shooting for a release of early '17.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    IoloOlivawKarozKoopahTroopahcB557TeeManCommander Zoom
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    The TF2 summer shades from several summer sales ago are now marketable, if anyone has them hanging around. Currently selling in the 4.50 range.

i sold mine for 5.17

just went through some leftovers and now i have 10 bucks

camo_sig.png
  • GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Last night a villager in Stardew Valley had an event where they asked me to help her beat a level in a co-op game. I was expecting a little dialogue scene with a question to respond to like other npc events. Nope. There's actually a twin stick shooter minigame inside the game and I had to shoot down orcs while the npc complained each time her cowboy died.

Also, if you have a beehive and plant a flower near the hive, once the flower is in bloom the bees will use it to make higher quality honey.

This game has so many touches like this and it is amazing.

You can even play that game (solo) at the tavern, I got decently far until I tried to use the kill the whole screen bomb on the boss and the mini game didn't know what to do and stopped.

steam_sig.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, when Mudzgut gifted me ARK all those many months ago, I planned on straight up doing a single player thing, but I decided to try out the PA server first, just in case.

I never looked back. The fact that there's no PVP makes the entire server akin to single player+; generally we do things on our own, but once in a while there's something that's a really big help. Hell, just last week I went to tame a Plesiosaurus, no simple task, but I had forgotten a key taming ingredient, narcotics. @Decomposey was able to run me some over, and with that I was fully supplied.

Just speaking generally, most folks work at their own pace, and @Pixelated Pixie I am sure you'd be more than welcome on the PA private server.

That said, With the treasure in drops including blueprints, the treasure in caves and (at level 80+) the super amazing undersea drops along with console codes to gift Blueprints in single-player, it would not be impossible to play it all single player.

But I do heartily suggest gaming with the PA peeps. The help and camaraderie of that place is a large reason that I've kept on going back to the game time and time again.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    steam_sig.png

IoloHyphyKezzyMudzgutAistanKaroz
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I'm actually amazed that TF2 items still sell for as much as they do. I know the player count looks high on Steam's stats, but every time I jump into it it's nothing but bots on the servers I join.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Did my stone fortress get destroyed on the PA sever? I had a big footprint, and haven't played in forever.

@Pixelated Pixie I will say one thing, if you do single player, time stops when you don't play. On a server, your dinos could die if you don't log in enough. I don't know how changes to the game have changed this, but single player, time stops, multi time doesn't.

Edit:
    Oh, and I don't know PA server settings, but in single you can set all the settings like say dinos tame ultra fast. That was the number one issue I had with game, I don't have 4 hours to tame a dino.

Edit 2:
    Now I want to play ark, and I was making progress on XCOM. I have a problem, I don't beat games.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    XCom Enemy Unknown(not Within) finished and everyone died on the last mission. Someone got sectopodded, Ozmo and Kage got mindfucked by Ethereals, CB557 died to reflected damage, Muddbudd got killed by a mind controlled Kage, and I died a cutscene death.

but petesalzl lived, right? that sassy gal was a fighter.

@SkutSkut, did iolo ever make the squad? Did I die a gruesome death while doling out crotch-shots and killing doors (in my XCOM way)?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    CroakerBC
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Think I might have found a new bug in Disgaea PC.

Etna seems to have broken her limiters and her sprite is now charged with bright red energy.

That or she's really pissed that I made her pick up a geo symbol.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Is Final Fantasy 13-3 worth $10? I've somehow managed to go this entire time without actually reading or seeing anything about that game. I loved 13, and gave up on 13-2 after a few hours when the characters were stupid and terrible and the combat system I loved in 13 was ruined by having the third slot be taken up by pokemon.

The few things i've read about it it seems kind of like Majora's Mask? I want to know how accurate that is because if so that's enough to get me to buy it on its own.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, I guess I'm installing ARK now.

Fake edit: HOLY SHIT, 41GB?

So I just finished Far Cry 3. Didn't like the end sequence at all. The helicopter ride was bullshit. The "choice" at the end was stupid and hamfisted:
    Uh, Citra. Honey. I was rescuing my brother so he and the rest of my friends could go home and leave me here. I already told them I was staying. Why you gotta do a thing?

Still, even though that was a pretty big letdown, I enjoyed the game. I captured all of the outposts and towers (which I really enjoyed), and enough of the other side stuff to get the weapons, but I don't really have a desire to keep going to finish all of the side quests.

IoloTalus9952HyphyKezzy
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Because of Enchanted Edition (improved graphics) i am playing Trine, again. This game is still bloody beautiful. I don;t know any other title that have such perfect, fable-like estethics.

Iolo
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Woooo!

New day, new Disgaea patch!

(And this one actually lets me play! Everything seems great so far.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    So @ReverseCreations
    He... bought me the last final fantasy game left on steam with Final Fantasy 3.
    He promised he would never subject me to it. But now he has.
    I now own every steam final fantasy.
    I think that means he has bought me... every one. Except 13-2 which... I bought.

Uh...

Help. (And thank you)

q89qoddk4szq.png

ff3.png 203.3K
    NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
    Pixelated PixieEd GrubermanElvenshaeSpoitJazzTalus9952HyphyKezzyMudzgutMNC DoverIolodestroyah87chasmStollsJaysonFourCommander Zoom
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    New Weekly Bundle:
    R2dLBqE.jpg

bloodatonementEd GrubermanCorriganXElvenshaeSmokeStacksTalus9952MudzgutMNC DoverIoloKoopahTroopahDaimarStollsIanator
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    New Weekly Bundle:
    R2dLBqE.jpg

I'm assuming this comes as 1 key per tier but if anyone picks it up, I would be curious to know. I only have 2 of the tables or packs listed so this would be a worthwhile bundle if I feel like pinballing again.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Is Final Fantasy 13-3 worth $10? I've somehow managed to go this entire time without actually reading or seeing anything about that game. I loved 13, and gave up on 13-2 after a few hours when the characters were stupid and terrible and the combat system I loved in 13 was ruined by having the third slot be taken up by pokemon.

The few things i've read about it it seems kind of like Majora's Mask? I want to know how accurate that is because if so that's enough to get me to buy it on its own.

As someone who played all three parts of 13, yeah, I'd say so. But if you didn't finish 13-2 then read up on what happened in that beforehand because HOLY SHIT will you be completely lost otherwise. The Majora's Mask thing is presumably that the game has a real-time time limit to complete it in before the world ends, and you start again with all your stuff if you fail, but it's much more lenient than MM, and quite viable to get everything necessary done on a first try.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Looking to spice up our FNG a bit and @Ed Gruberman tipped me off to a cyberpunk Counter Strike clone thingy so let's try that.

FNG tomorrow is Neotokyo

Like Counter Strike it's one life per round for a set goal so we'll jump in and see. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't work we'll always have TTS to fall back on.

Karoz on
    Ed GrubermanHyphyKezzyMudzgutIoloLoveIsUnityRoyceSraphimEvmaAlsar
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Karoz wrote: »
    Looking to spice up our FNG a bit and Ed Gruberman tipped me off to a cyberpunk Counter Strike clone thingy so let's try that.

FNG tomorrow is Neotokyo

Like Counter Strike it's one life per round for a set goal so we'll jump in and see. If, for whatever reason, it doesn't work we'll always have TTS to fall back on.

Worth noting is that it's a FREE standalone mod for Half-Life 2 so it's both wallet and toaster-friendly.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    HyphyKezzyMudzgutJazzIoloTeeManRoyceSraphimKaroz
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Everybody needs to buy all the Pinballs. I especially like the Soccer and both of the Iron & Steel pack. Also, anyone with a Windows tablet they support touch screen really well.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I can't get excited about PinballFX since the tables aren't 'real'. That's what I have Pinball Arcade for.

Commander Zoom
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I can't get excited about PinballFX since the tables aren't 'real'. That's what I have Pinball Arcade for.

Maybe I'm a graphics whore, but the VGA in pinball arcade didn't do it for me. The ball physics felt kinda off too. Like, FX has somewhat 'game-y' physics, but arcade felt worse, not more realistic

steam_sig.png
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    New Weekly Bundle:
    R2dLBqE.jpg

I'm assuming this comes as 1 key per tier but if anyone picks it up, I would be curious to know. I only have 2 of the tables or packs listed so this would be a worthwhile bundle if I feel like pinballing again.

@Ed Gruberman I just picked it up for some of the tables I'm missing, it's all separate keys. The packs are 1 key for those tables

steam_sig.png
    Ed GrubermanTalus9952JazzKoopahTroopah
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I have an extra key for
    "Pinball FX2 - Star Wars™ Pinball: Balance of the Force Pack"

If anyone wants just that one.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    Talus9952HyphyKezzyan_altCommander Zoom
  • Talus9952Talus9952 Registered User regular

So I just finished Far Cry 3. Didn't like the end sequence at all. The helicopter ride was bullshit. The "choice" at the end was stupid and hamfisted:
    Uh, Citra. Honey. I was rescuing my brother so he and the rest of my friends could go home and leave me here. I already told them I was staying. Why you gotta do a thing?

Still, even though that was a pretty big letdown, I enjoyed the game. I captured all of the outposts and towers (which I really enjoyed), and enough of the other side stuff to get the weapons, but I don't really have a desire to keep going to finish all of the side quests.

Agreed. I enjoyed FC3 when it wasn't forcing the linear story on me.

steam_sig.png
    Sir CarcassIolo
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Maybe I'm a graphics whore, but the VGA in pinball arcade didn't do it for me. The ball physics felt kinda off too. Like, FX has somewhat 'game-y' physics, but arcade felt worse, not more realistic

I can't comment on the PC. It looked fine on my 360.

Physic feel fine, too. There are some noticeable bugs where the ball basically ends up where it shouldn't sometimes. But not every table every time.

To me, having real tables outweighs better graphics (such as they are) or physics (since it isn't outrageously wrong). Also, when I see previews of PFX tables, there always looks like too much is going on. A design flaw I hate in real tables.

Honestly, Pinball Arcade has been on my list of things to buy for awhile, but they seem to hate going on significant sale. I love all pinball, real or fake.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    So somehow Steam takes a HD space requirement of 41 GB for ARK to a 9 GB download. I don't even.

Jazztacticalheadache
    Honestly, Pinball Arcade has been on my list of things to buy for awhile, but they seem to hate going on significant sale. I love all pinball, real or fake.

I think FarSight doesn't have a big profit margin on the game. A lot of their tables are crowd funded and even some tables require licensing beyond just calling up Bally or whomever. I balk at the prices, too, but only because I just don't have it to spare at the moment.

$30 for a pack of ten+ real world tables? Hell, I'd probably drop that much at a real pinball arcade museum.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Like most characters in a main line Far Cry game, many of the people you're helping out are huge assholes. At multiple points the game gives you signs that they're not exactly paragons of virtue in case all the murder being requested of you didn't clue you in. But like many games that try to make that point, you also don't have an option to back out of helping them.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So somehow Steam takes a HD space requirement of 41 GB for ARK to a 9 GB download. I don't even.

Compression?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00

I think FarSight doesn't have a big profit margin on the game. A lot of their tables are crowd funded and even some tables require licensing beyond just calling up Bally or whomever. I balk at the prices, too, but only because I just don't have it to spare at the moment.

$30 for a pack of ten+ real world tables? Hell, I'd probably drop that much at a real pinball arcade museum.

Yeah - it's not that they are unreasonable, I think I've bought a few of them actually. I figured their profit margins are probably pretty tight on them. It's more that in a world where I don't often drop full price on any game, $30 for a season of pinball tables when I already have all the Pinball HD tables except 2 is hard to justify.

Compression?

That's some serious compression.

• tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular
    Haven't started playing ARK yet but I'm down if anyone here wants to group up and play.

HyphyKezzy
    That's also kind of why I stay away from PFX. They had this sale on XBL a couple years ago. Everything at the time was half off. But to get it all would cost about $70. And of course I'd have to have them all, right?

But then I read that PA would be resubmitted to XBL and just figured to wait. It took a year and a half.

I've seen some rumours about the Pro Pinball games showing up on Steam. I'd get in on that if only to replace the discs I left behind.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Compression?

Dinosaurs are extinct and mostly just exist as 2D images on paper. Therefore, they fold up really, really small and you can fit a lot of them in a smaller space.

>.>

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    Sir CarcassElvenshaeJazzMudzgutHyphyKezzyKalnaurCroakerBCPetesalzlJaysonFour
  • rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular

Compression?

it is, I picked it up in the Humble Monthly and just installed it 8.7GB download and my ARK folder comes in at 40.3GB

steam_sig.png
    Sir Carcass
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

As someone who played all three parts of 13, yeah, I'd say so. But if you didn't finish 13-2 then read up on what happened in that beforehand because HOLY SHIT will you be completely lost otherwise. The Majora's Mask thing is presumably that the game has a real-time time limit to complete it in before the world ends, and you start again with all your stuff if you fail, but it's much more lenient than MM, and quite viable to get everything necessary done on a first try.

So... I just looked it up, and if i'm understanding this right then:
    Everything Serah and Noel did in the second game resulted in a timeline where the bad guy is set up to destroy everything, and Lightning has to fix it all. Basically they are the universe's biggest fuckups. That falls right in line with what I had seen of them before I gave up on the game, yeah.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited March 2016
    rikdaly wrote: »
    New Weekly Bundle:
    R2dLBqE.jpg

"Ed Gruberman" I just picked it up for some of the tables I'm missing, it's all separate keys. The packs are 1 key for those tables

Everyone needs to buy the bundle and fight off Rik for top scores. The more people invested, the more of a chance we have people!

Also thanks to @Incindium for Stardew Valley!

ktup5or1rk0d.png

KoopahTroopah on
    HyphyKezzyJazzEd GrubermanCorriganXdestroyah87ElvenshaeIoloPixelated PixieTalus9952MNC DoverMudzgutKarozchasmübergeekStollsTeeManAegeriJaysonFouran_alt
This discussion has been closed.