As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried. If the media can give Rubio the nomination they can help him get close to the oval office as well.

Right now he's definately getting the McCain style media treatment. They're pushing him as a reasonable, serious conservative with real answers(tm).

The problem is, he's got so much less substance to run on. And he's not a war hero, so delving criticism its going to be much harder.

Who is doing this? I saw some article saying that Limbaugh was warming up but most of what I see by perusing the usual conservative sites is a lot of disagreement and complaints he is soft on immigration and lacks gravity. The lastest I saw on CNN was anything but positive.
    CNN wrote:
    Marco Rubio is running a presidential campaign marked by precision, caution and discipline -- so much so that the Florida senator delivers the exact same speech, jokes, quips and one-liners wherever he goes.

There's a strong effort by the GOP old guard to push Rubio, and the media is playing along. It's why you got the surreal spectacle of him turning a third place finish into a victory.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there much of a reason Rubio is the establishment candidate outside of not having been extremely destructive, not being completely garbage on immigration (which is likely more a liability than anything in this race), and being much more of a blank slate that they can project their desires onto? He moved into crazy town along with Trump on Muslims and has been inching away from immigration reform.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there much of a reason Rubio is the establishment candidate outside of not having been extremely destructive, not being completely garbage on immigration (which is likely more a liability than anything in this race), and being much more of a blank slate that they can project their desires onto? He moved into crazy town along with Trump on Muslims and has been inching away from immigration reform.

De fault - the two greatest words in the English language.

Trump is terrible and the establishment hates him. Cruz is terrible and everyone hates him. Nobody else is viable.

Trump and Cruz also aren't going to play well in the general, while Rubio can tack to the center without TOO much baggage.

Rubio is terrible, but at least will mostly tow the party line or at least the damage he causes can be mitigated.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My TV was on CNN last night because the last time my TV had been used it was for the CNN debate, but before I switched it over to MSNBC Anderson Cooper was discussing his interview with Donald Trump. Then, just before going to commercial, I heard him say, "And Jeb Bush has a very special guest at his town hall tonight..." so I paused to see who it would be.

"...His mother, Barbara Bush!"

I literally facepalmed.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rubio is also their best chance to win and it's not close. Trump and Cruz are both going to suffer electoral penalties in the general due to how off the deep end they are that probably sinks them in the close election we are about to have. Rubio is also pretty crazy but he hides it better by having no substantive positions.

And when you consider how the republican primary works, close 3rd in iowa is certainly a win for rubio. all he needs to do is stay vaugely near the other two and he can wait it out until the blue states start voting and catapult himself into the nom.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I love the look on Mika's face as he stammers out his excuses after they point out that the Republicans had a majority and were the reason nothing was getting done.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm a bit worried. If the media can give Rubio the nomination they can help him get close to the oval office as well.

Right now he's definately getting the McCain style media treatment. They're pushing him as a reasonable, serious conservative with real answers(tm).

The problem is, he's got so much less substance to run on. And he's not a war hero, so delving criticism its going to be much harder.

Who is doing this? I saw some article saying that Limbaugh was warming up but most of what I see by perusing the usual conservative sites is a lot of disagreement and complaints he is soft on immigration and lacks gravity. The lastest I saw on CNN was anything but positive.
    CNN wrote:
    Marco Rubio is running a presidential campaign marked by precision, caution and discipline -- so much so that the Florida senator delivers the exact same speech, jokes, quips and one-liners wherever he goes.
    The cable news talking heads love the guy. It's pretty much the same treatment that the "serious, sober" conservative gets every cycle.

Limbaugh and his ilk have basically no impact on the general election. They do have some sway in the primary, though.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.

I love the look on Mika's face as he stammers out his excuses after they point out that the Republicans had a majority and were the reason nothing was getting done.

For reference, or for those who can't watch at work, here it is in all its glory:

gJ3GBp5.png

edited February 2016
    Adele would like the GOP candidates to quit using her music without permission

This part:
    But Trump isn’t the only Republican candidate who’s taken to playing Adele’s music on the campaign trail. Last week, GOP contender Mike Huckabee made headlines when he released a parody version of “Hello.” The one-time first-in-the-nation primary winner re-imagined the No. 1 smash for caucus night, which takes place this evening in Iowa. The video was subsequently yanked from YouTube “following actions from Adele’s team,” according to Billboard. The former Arkansas governor responded on Fox News, calling the singer “very petty.”

Really creeps me the fuck out. Oops, thought that said "very pretty". So Huckabee was just being a tool instead of a creeper, got it.

joshofalltrades on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

CNN wrote:
    The cable news talking heads love the guy. It's pretty much the same treatment that the "serious, sober" conservative gets every cycle.

Limbaugh and his ilk have basically no impact on the general election. They do have some sway in the primary, though.

The primary base is also currently fed by conspirageese like Drudge and Beck. Very curious to see what they do if an R gets elected. The same people tearing down Obama now were ranting about the secret death camps W was building all over the country. They hate the government, and will continue to until the lizard overlords are unmasked. Under Obama they have grown from obscurity into a position of actual influence. Severing the temporary alliance with the official GOP could be interesting, and seems possible, should the GOP come to occupy the office they despise.

We keep wondering how this loss by that candidate may or may not force a party reform. I'm wondering if winning might be the real breaking point.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

And people wonder why droit d'auteur is important. It's getting to be a regular occurrence.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

CNN wrote:

There's a strong effort by the GOP old guard to push Rubio, and the media is playing along. It's why you got the surreal spectacle of him turning a third place finish into a victory.

I don't think the media is playing along so much as making reasonable predictions. Check the betting markets. They did a complete flip after Iowa and for plausible reasons. The last 5 Republican candidates were Bush, Dole, Bush, McCain, and Romney. Trump is the outlier but the only way the establishment gets on his train is if he seems inevitable. Also, he never looks good in head to head polls against Clinton. Cruz is more unlikable the more he is seen. He would turn off pretty much every independent given enough time. Bush was the anointed and he looks to be crashing and burning. Hence Rubio. The Iowa caucuses are not an election. There is nothing to win there but a dusting of delegates and media coverage. First place gets you media coverage but so does an unexpected 23% and an effective tie with The Donald. The Republicans have a problem as none of the candidates look all that strong.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I am imagining a quest for Cruz's friends going like when a journalist talked to people JEB was said to be friends with and who generally denied they were friends with JEB.

Nah, Cruz is going to have a small handful of friends who are utterly loyal to him and he's utterly loyal to.

That's the kind of guy he is - he only has a few friends, but he's the first person they would call to help bury a body.

I just get that feeling from his personality. And those few friends spend most of their time explaining that 'no, he's really a good guy, not a total asshole. really.'

I really think he's more Huey Long than Dick Nixon.

• notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular

CNN wrote:

I would argue that it is a victory when looking at which candidate has benefited the most from the Iowa primary. It certainly isn't Trump, as the defeat hurt his narrative, nor does it seem to be Cruz, who performed roughly as expected, and whose tactics may play against him in the long run.

Rubio beat the expectations in the Iowa caucus by doing better than expected and tying Trump in delegates. His results in Iowa harmed the old media narrative that this was going to be a two way race between Trump and Cruz, and more importantly, seems to have tilted the GOP establishement to rally behind him, passing Bush in terms of endorsements (http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/marco-rubio-is-now-winning-the-race-for-endorsements/).

Looking at recent polls and forecasts on 538 for NH and SC, Rubio's results in Iowa is now translating in higher gains than his opponents.

"Rubio won Iowa" is not accurate, but as far as the downfall of the Iowa caucus is concerned/measured, he did come out a winner.

Whether whatever momentum he seems to have is substainable, or if he'll simply shrivel once in the spot light à la Carson, remains to be seen.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

And people wonder why droit d'auteur is important. It's getting to be a regular occurrence.

Yup. Virtually every election cycle in the last 16 years. You can almost count on it, making it doubly strange why a campaign would risk the PR issue of having their theme music use denounced by the people who created it.

"Hey, vote for us! We're cool! We like Springsteen!"

"Uh, Springsteen just called and said to stop using his music and that he hates you and thinks you're definitely not cool."

Atomika wrote: »

Yup. Virtually every election cycle in the last 16 years. You can almost count on it, making it doubly strange why a campaign would risk the PR issue of having their theme music use denounced by the people who created it.

"Uh, Springsteen just called and said to stop using his music and that he hates you and thinks you're definitely not cool."

Didn't he do exactly that to Christie on one of the talk shows?

Then the system works. You are free to inerpret popular art, and the Popular figure is free to publically denounce you.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Worst part about Rubio is he's Sheldon Adelson's choice this time around.

My girlfriend's feelings about Rubio are basically the same as the forum feels about Cruz: instant disgust. She cites his record of anti-feminism.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    My girlfriend's feelings about Rubio are basically the same as the forum feels about Cruz: instant disgust. She cites his record of anti-feminism.
    Is he particularly worse than anyone else in the GOP field?

They're all pretty horrifying.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular

I wonder what the law is on this.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
    Is he particularly worse than anyone else in the GOP field?

They're all pretty horrifying.

He's pretty bad.

The US doesn't recognize droit d'auteur/moral copyright, so all they really can do is say "please don't use my song".

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular

The US doesn't recognize droit d'auteur/moral copyright, so all they really can do is say "please don't use my song".

Not entirely true. If the event is a paid event, like a rubber chicken dinner, and they use your licensed music without authorization they can be liable for distribution without license. Proving it is the tricky part.

For public events without a paywall, I don't think there is anything the labels can do, even if they wanted to. And, business-wise, no label is going to go toe to toe with a potential presidential candidate for fear of recourse if that candidate becomes president.

• Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Picking a very public fight with a major party presidential candidate, or indeed with the president, is a good way to get more loyalty from 40% or so of the country, though.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Picking a very public fight with a major party presidential candidate, or indeed with the president, is a good way to get more loyalty from 40% or so of the country, though.

I think that would really depend on the genre. A bro-country artist picking a fight with a Democratic presidential candidate would probably have few downsides for his business.

Couscous on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Rubio has a bunch of financial hinkyness from his time as a state senator. And I believe one of his colleagues actually went to prison for that kind of thing. It's very much a wilt in the sunshine aspect.

On top of him being a terrible speaker and basically a talking point machine that some political reporters not high on bullshit spot out when they see him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular

Look, they can't all play Ted Nugent at every rally, it would get stale pretty quickly.

• ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Ohthankjebusit'sback

The Illinois election board says Cruz meets the criteria of Natural Born Citizen and will be on the ballot in that state.

New conventional wisdom is that the Trump/Cruz outcome of Iowa is good for.... Rubio. Because of course it is.

It's actually bad news.

...for Obama!

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Ohthankjebusit'sback

The Illinois election board says Cruz meets the criteria of Natural Born Citizen and will be on the ballot in that state.

New conventional wisdom is that the Trump/Cruz outcome of Iowa is good for.... Rubio. Because of course it is.

It's actually bad news.

...for Obama!

I do miss the old memes.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

The first time I saw this my browser was acting up and all I saw was a black box under the tweet with "this media could not be played" inside it. I thought it was on purpose and the Morning Joe twitter was just making a pretty good joke, and now that it's working properly i'm actually kind of disappointed.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Wow. $70,000 for seven hours of work.

This guy.

• GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

This guy.

thanks obama

(no seriously thank you)

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Rubio has a bunch of financial hinkyness from his time as a state senator. And I believe one of his colleagues actually went to prison for that kind of thing. It's very much a wilt in the sunshine aspect.

On top of him being a terrible speaker and basically a talking point machine that some political reporters not high on bullshit spot out when they see him.

God this cycle is like an inverse Sophie's choice. I just can't choose which one I hate most, and no matter which choice I make I'm still going to feel like a terrible human being afterwards.

Sleep on

This guy.

Its again part of his hinky financial stuff. Like to me this would almost seem like a pay off of some kind.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

One imagines moving to crazy town has ensured he remains such a candidate to the primary voters.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

One imagines moving to crazy town has ensured he remains such a candidate to the primary voters.

In this dumpster fire of a primary, you have to be terrible to even be slightly viable. The most reasonable one is the guy who wants to create an agency to promote 'Judeo-Christian Western Values'.

Other than Cruz being a complete asshole who everyone hates, Trump being up his own ass, and Jeb! being terrible at this, I don't think there is much else you can take for granted out of any of these candidates. All of them are expressing policy positions that will turn America into a disaster zone if they can pull it off, and you can't really tell which ones if any aren't sincere about it.

This guy.

Its again part of his hinky financial stuff. Like to me this would almost seem like a pay off of some kind.

Just because a major campaign donor who employs his wife donated the balance of his salary to the school?
    According to his office, from August of 2008 - November of 2009, Rubio raised approximately $125,000 for the Center — enough to cover his salary and then some. A sizeable chunk of that, $100,000, came from Norman Braman — the wealthy auto magnate who's been a longtime benefactor to Rubio, is helping to bankroll his campaign and whose charitable foundation employs Rubio's wife.

I'm not seeing the Quid pro quo. /Scalia

This discussion has been closed.