As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    "The Landlord killing industry?"

Because they don't pay their rent I guess?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Because they don't pay their rent I guess?

How the Irish treat the british? I have no idea. I guess I'm one of those dumbs that needs an obvious characture of Obama labeled.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

The Irish kind of hated the land owners in the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Famine_(Ireland)#Landlords_and_tenants

The infernal machine industry is because they had the stereotype of labor agitators back then before that stereotype moved more to the Italians and Eastern Europeans from what I remember. Polls are there because party machines in the USA often relied on Irish votes. The last one is because the Irish are just a bunch of bums who rely on the world to give them handouts.

On the west coast, it was more anti-Chinese and you barely need to change some of those cartoons to fit modern China hatred that Trump takes advantage of.
    J1tAI15.jpg

The Wasp was a weekly magazine based in San Francisco and had an amazing name.

Couscous on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Talking politics with my Former Republican father is interesting. He left the party after the 'Tea Party takeover' to become independent/decline to state, but is still very conservative.

He'd vote for Jeb. He'd vote for Kasich. He wouldn't vote or Cruz or Rubio and would rather vote for Hillarly over then. He dislikes Sanders. He wishes Joe Biden was running on the Democratic side or McCain on the Republican side and would rather vote for them than anyone else actually running.

And he was adamant that if Trump was nominated he'd vote for whoever the Democratic candidate was that running against him.

Which is also the exact same stance that all of my Republican family members in my politically deverse family have.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Sleep wrote: »
    Of course they pull the ad because actors can't do work.

Christ, what an asshole.

More than that is that she's repented and is apparently a big conservative christian now.

Which is, ya know, the central fucking point of the entire religion Cruz claims to practice but nope, did something wrong once now you can never ever appear in public again.

Conservative Christians.

Another thing I hate about these geese. He's an All Forgiving God. You can literally do anything, make a meaningful contrition (an apology with the intent to attempt to never perform the infraction again) and you are all set. You've got your keys to the gate back. It can be straight up mortal sins and you can get right with God with a simple meaningful apology. The death bed confession is basically a staple of the religion because you can apologize for everything there knowing you can't mess up again, and you get to go to heaven. That's essentially what last rights is for, so that if you didn't get the chance for a deathbed confession. On top of that, and again, Matthew 6: basically all of it (though in this case specifically Matthew 6:15). Man do these folks piss me off at their inability to grasp basic shit about their religion.

Yep, pretty much evangelism in a nutshell. I think there's arguably no one more obnoxious and sanctimonious than born again christians. Live an indulgent, shallow life, wake up one day and realize you've wasted a bunch of it on frivolous bullshit, grasp hold of god as your new found purpose, conveniently forget about your own life of sin, and spend the vast majority of your time being an annoying ass that tells other people how to live.

On the Cruz thing though..it's an image problem. I doubt Cruz or his people give a shit about the actress' past, but they can't be leaving a wide open flank like that on the campaign trail.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    It would possibly be the best thing if Trump ignited a larger fight between the GOP and catholics. Catholics and evangelicals supporting each other so well has been one of the big challenges.

It'll be especially interesting to see what happens, given that a lot of Catholics tend to lean to the left politically, at least in certain parts of North America. It would be pretty funny if the GOP alienate the ones who do lean right, or who are on the fence, because they're not "christian enough".

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Catholics unlike Evangelicals are more split among both parties.

There are large differences between Catholicism (and very close Diet Catholic protestant branches like Lutherans) and Southern Evangelicals.

Some major differences:
    1. The bible is not to be taken literally word for word. It's the message that's important and many passages in the bible are stories to tell a point rather than actual occurrences.
    1b. The bible is written from oral stories that were told for hundreds of years in multiple languages and translations.
    2. Science is not the enemy of Religion.
    2b. Evolution is real and does not contradict the Bible.
    2c. Climate change is a scientific fact and not a political issue..

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Catholics unlike Evangelicals are more split among both parties.

There are large differences between Catholicism (and very close Diet Catholic protestant branches like Lutherans) and Southern Evangelicals.

Some major differences:
    1. The bible is not to be taken literally word for word. It's the message that's important and many passages in the bible are stories to tell a point rather than actual occurrences.
    1b. The bible is written from oral stories that were told for hundreds of years in multiple languages and translations.
    2. Science is not the enemy of Religion.
    2b. Evolution is real and does not contradict the Bible.
    2c. Climate change is a scientific fact and not a political issue..

The problem i've found is getting Catholics to actually buy into... well, any of that. Low-information conservative catholics (to differentiate from hardcore conservative catholics, the kind who know their stuff but reject post-Vatican II reforms) are basically indistinguishable from evangelicals in buying scriptural value and buying anti-science, pro-capitalist, and pro-death penalty lines. I recall one speaker brought into my Confirmation class talking about how no, the church actually does support the Death penalty (hint: they are consistently pro-life).

To that end, Catholicism really doesn't thrust its opinions on adherents in terms of politics, which is why you get a range of opinions. Also depends on which school of catholicism you subscribe to. Liberation Theology is popular in Latin America, and is a fairly leftist strain. Dominicans, Augustinians, Franciscans, Jesuits will all give you a slightly different shake as well.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Well, the above points were my Catholic/Lutheran upbringing as well as the current official stances of the church.

Edit: Which isn't to say you're wrong in any way. It's the only side of the Catholic Church in America that I've had great exposure to.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    There's a strong Catholic traditionalist sector that doesn't like Pope Francis, he's not an universally beloved Pope like John Paul II, or a "let's not rock the boat" heir like Benedict XVI. A part of the Church sees him as a frivolous Pope that spends his time taking selfies and telling the "against abortion and gay marriage" brigade to shut up. Not to mention that all the bending that the Church had to do for birth control got people used to ignore papal authority when it suited them.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Richy wrote: »
    Bush polling in the double-digits? I'm shocked.

His support was accidentally reported in binary.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    The best comment I've seen on Gilmore:
    Why a former governor of a large state would spend many months engaged in an extended Stephen Colbert sketch as directed by Werner Herzog is something of a mystery.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    There's a strong Catholic traditionalist sector that doesn't like Pope Francis, he's not an universally beloved Pope like John Paul II, or a "let's not rock the boat" heir like Benedict XVI. A part of the Church sees him as a frivolous Pope that spends his time taking selfies and telling the "against abortion and gay marriage" brigade to shut up. Not to mention that all the bending that the Church had to do for birth control got people used to ignore papal authority when it suited them.
    The Catholic Church's attitude on refugees or immigration goes back a good ways before Pope Francis. Any organization that actually considers itself global, has large non-American membership, and believes in human brotherhood is going to have problems with American nativism.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    The Catholic Church's attitude on refugees or immigration goes back a good ways before Pope Francis. Any organization that actually considers itself global, has large non-American membership, and believes in human brotherhood is going to have problems with American nativism.

True, but, as usual, one thing is the official position of an organization and other is the positions of factions between said organization. Also, I don't believe that I need to write about cognitive dissonance on the Church on a thread that, among other things, follows the actions of Ted Cruz.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Nobody noticed, but Jim Gillmore (who?) is out:
    Former Virginia Gov. Jim Gilmore announced on Friday that he is suspending his campaign for president.

"My campaign was intended to offer the gubernatorial experience with the track record of a true conservative, experienced in national security, to unite the party." Gilmore said in a statement sent to the Washington Examiner. "My goal was to focus on the importance of this election as a real turning point, and to emphasize the dangers of continuing on a road that will further undermine America's economy and weaken our national security."

"Nonetheless, I will continue to express my concerns about the dangers of electing someone who has pledged to continue Obama's disastrous policies," Gilmore said. "And, I will continue to do everything I can to ensure that our next president is a free-enterprise Republican who will restore our nation to greatness and keep our citizens safe."

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    here's Gilmore giving his announcement:

gates.jpg

• Options
    Gilmore's primary fundraising mechanism shuts down:
    9579126949_9a2c4c31b8_b.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush cited his experience as head of the Florida National Guard in a radio interview Friday to counter claims from Marco Rubio that he lacked foreign policy credentials. The former Florida governor singled out the Florida Guard that ran the scandal-plagued Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq as proof of his foreign policy chops.

A Bush spokesman said the governor was referring to the prison post-scandal.

“Jeb visited Florida Guard troops in Iraq in 2006 who were serving their country admirably and helping turn that prison back over to the Iraqis following scandal,” said Tim Miller. “Those troops should be commended for their service and their sacrifice. Jeb’s experience is validated by over 40 admirals and generals who have endorsed his campaign because he is best prepared to be Commander-in-Chief on day one.”
    JEB! wrote:
    I was commander-in-chief of the National Guard. I visited Iraq and Afghanistan. The National Guard in Florida took the responsibility of running Abu Ghraib prison. I walked that prison. I saw the heroic effort of the citizen soldiers taking care of their job with great distinction. I supported our Guard in every possible way.
    That is not as bad as Palin claiming she had foreign policy experience.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Gilmore's most avid supporters were told the heartbreaking news outside his campaign headquarters and actual home:

2af4aeec565e_sf_1.jpg

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Christ, what an asshole.

More than that is that she's repented and is apparently a big conservative christian now.

Which is, ya know, the central fucking point of the entire religion Cruz claims to practice but nope, did something wrong once now you can never ever appear in public again.

Conservative Christians.

Another thing I hate about these geese. He's an All Forgiving God. You can literally do anything, make a meaningful contrition (an apology with the intent to attempt to never perform the infraction again) and you are all set. You've got your keys to the gate back. It can be straight up mortal sins and you can get right with God with a simple meaningful apology. The death bed confession is basically a staple of the religion because you can apologize for everything there knowing you can't mess up again, and you get to go to heaven. That's essentially what last rights is for, so that if you didn't get the chance for a deathbed confession. On top of that, and again, Matthew 6: basically all of it (though in this case specifically Matthew 6:15). Man do these folks piss me off at their inability to grasp basic shit about their religion.

The best part is that there's an entire section of the New Testament dedicated to [biblical] sex crimes. Jesus himself says to a crowd trying to stone an adulteress that whomever is without sin should cast the first stone. (Spoiler, none of them cast a stone.)

Their problem is that they think they are without sin, which is bullshit and the entire point Jesus was trying to make.

Their hypocrisy would be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Jeb can see Cuba from his house.

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

Christ, what an asshole.

Conservative Christians.

The best part is that there's an entire section of the New Testament dedicated to [biblical] sex crimes. Jesus himself says to a crowd trying to stone an adulteress that whomever is without sin should cast the first stone. (Spoiler, none of them cast a stone.)

Their problem is that they think they are without sin, which is bullshit and the entire point Jesus was trying to make.

Their hypocrisy would be hilarious if it wasn't so dangerous.

I actually call them Pharisees. The biblical parallels are just too blatant.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush cited his experience as head of the Florida National Guard in a radio interview Friday to counter claims from Marco Rubio that he lacked foreign policy credentials. The former Florida governor singled out the Florida Guard that ran the scandal-plagued Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq as proof of his foreign policy chops.

“Jeb visited Florida Guard troops in Iraq in 2006 who were serving their country admirably and helping turn that prison back over to the Iraqis following scandal,” said Tim Miller. “Those troops should be commended for their service and their sacrifice. Jeb’s experience is validated by over 40 admirals and generals who have endorsed his campaign because he is best prepared to be Commander-in-Chief on day one.”
    JEB! wrote:
    I was commander-in-chief of the National Guard. I visited Iraq and Afghanistan. The National Guard in Florida took the responsibility of running Abu Ghraib prison. I walked that prison. I saw the heroic effort of the citizen soldiers taking care of their job with great distinction. I supported our Guard in every possible way.

A literal goose, being a migrating bird, has more foreign policy experience.
    I don't actually know if geese migrate, I just thought it was funny.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Planned Parenthood had this to say about Fiorina leaving HP the race for president:

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

JEB! wrote:

Being Canadian, I can assure you they do.

sig.gif
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Jeb can see Cuba from his house.

He actually can, though, unlike Palin. Though, so could Rubio. But let us dispense with this fiction that Rubio knows what he is doing. He doesn't know anything about what hes is doing.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular

JEB! wrote:

We must secure our northern border.

• Options
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

JEB! wrote:

Good luck building a wall high enough to stop them!

sig.gif
  • Options

That's not really how the law works, though

You can't sue on the grounds that your defendant is a smug dick.

• Options

JEB! wrote:

CPgtqOd.png
    We must defend ourselves from the White Walkers.

• Options
    Fiorina was yet another amazing example of the far-right yelling about something loud enough that the law has to step in and prove to everyone just how ignorant they're being.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Planned Parenthood had this to say about Fiorina leaving HP the race for president:

Why did I even read one comment?

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

JEB! wrote:

CPgtqOd.png
    We must defend ourselves from the White Walkers.

Pretty sure that wall would melt in week in the Texas-Mexico heat.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

No no no

Trump can't sue Cruz because he is too chicken

buk buk

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Why did I even read one comment?

Because you can't stop playing with your scabs.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »

Shut up and no one tell him that.

• Options
    Is not like Trump has to pay for the suit, if he puts a donation basket on Congress for a suit against Ted Cruz, he would get more money than all the SuperPACs combined.

This discussion has been closed.