As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The GOP Primary Thread: Beyond Thunderdome

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Couscous wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    VishNub wrote: »
    Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush cited his experience as head of the Florida National Guard in a radio interview Friday to counter claims from Marco Rubio that he lacked foreign policy credentials. The former Florida governor singled out the Florida Guard that ran the scandal-plagued Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq as proof of his foreign policy chops.

A Bush spokesman said the governor was referring to the prison post-scandal.

“Jeb visited Florida Guard troops in Iraq in 2006 who were serving their country admirably and helping turn that prison back over to the Iraqis following scandal,” said Tim Miller. “Those troops should be commended for their service and their sacrifice. Jeb’s experience is validated by over 40 admirals and generals who have endorsed his campaign because he is best prepared to be Commander-in-Chief on day one.”
    JEB! wrote:
    I was commander-in-chief of the National Guard. I visited Iraq and Afghanistan. The National Guard in Florida took the responsibility of running Abu Ghraib prison. I walked that prison. I saw the heroic effort of the citizen soldiers taking care of their job with great distinction. I supported our Guard in every possible way.
    That is not as bad as Palin claiming she had foreign policy experience.

A literal goose, being a migrating bird, has more foreign policy experience.
    I don't actually know if geese migrate, I just thought it was funny.

Being Canadian, I can assure you they do.

We must secure our northern border.

Good luck building a wall high enough to stop them!

CPgtqOd.png
    We must defend ourselves from the White Walkers.

Walker dropped out months ago, I think we're ok!

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »
    Walker dropped out months ago, I think we're ok!

With still not establishment frontrunner, I wonder if he regrets that. Maybe if he'd hung in there itd have swung around to him.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2016
    V1m wrote: »
    Planned Parenthood had this to say about Fiorina leaving HP the race for president:

Why did I even read one comment?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nCMmN0HIXAY

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Donald Trump apparently ordered a $50 steak well done.

If I knew nothing else about him, that would be enough for me to not trust him.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Look, I was willing to let Trump slide with his 'eating pizza with a knife and fork' thing, but this..... this is just wrong. You're only allowed one wrong food opinion.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

Oh, pleasepleaseplease let him defend this on camera and then let us get a political ad that combines that with this:

https://youtu.be/LyONt_ZH_aw

"Donald Trump: Wrong on steak, Wrong for America."

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Jeb! fails at playfully throwing a snowball.

At this point it's just making me sad. Someone needs to give him a hug :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Ah some snow does that

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »
    Is not like Trump has to pay for the suit, if he puts a donation basket on Congress for a suit against Ted Cruz, he would get more money than all the SuperPACs combined.

Most of those guys are lawyers, they'd probably take the case pro bono.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    isn't Rubio criticizing Jeb!'s lack of foreign policy experience kinda the same as him criticizing Cruz's voting record? it pretty much just leaves him open for attack since there's no way he's any better in those departments. the fact that he seems to get away with making these attacks is really baffling. but i guess you could put it down to Cruz not thinking fast enough during the debate and Jeb! just being Jeb!.

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »

Oh, pleasepleaseplease let him defend this on camera and then let us get a political ad that combines that with this:

LyONt_ZH_aw

"Trump steaks are the world's greatest steaks, and I mean that in every sense of the word."

Wait, how many senses does that word have here? Because I'm really only seeing the one.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

LyONt_ZH_aw

"Trump steaks are the world's greatest steaks, and I mean that in every sense of the word."

Wait, how many senses does that word have here? Because I'm really only seeing the one.

And which word is it that has so many senses? "World's"? "Steaks"? "Are"? "Trump"? He really doesn't specify.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

LyONt_ZH_aw

And which word is it that has so many senses? "World's"? "Steaks"? "Are"? "Trump"? He really doesn't specify.

He's saying that Trump steaks - steaks made by his company, by him, or of his flesh - are the greatest - oldest, biggest, best - steaks in - on the surface or in the center of - the world - the earth or Dio's stand

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

LyONt_ZH_aw

He's saying that Trump steaks - steaks made by his company, by him, or of his flesh - are the greatest - oldest, biggest, best - steaks in - on the surface or in the center of - the world - the earth or Dio's stand

Ah I see. So if Trump steaks are the greatest in every sense, and two people are eating them, one preferring large 100% beef steaks and the other being a cannibal with a small appetite, then Trump steaks are simultaneously the largest and smallest 100% beef and 100% human-flesh steaks ever made, right?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Trump steaks are carved from only the most fetid carcasses of vanquished Great Old Ones.

To order, just dial 1-800-CTH-LULU and your mind will melt at their deliciousness!

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2016

LyONt_ZH_aw

Look, Trump doesn't have a large vocabulary. Words like 'Greatest', 'Fantastic', and 'Best' get a lot of use in various contexts.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

LyONt_ZH_aw

Look, Trump doesn't have a large vocabulary. has the greatest vocabulary. It's really the best, really fantastic. Words like 'Greatest', 'Fantastic', and 'Best' get a lot of use in various contexts.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Trump: Make Sesquipedalianism Great Again

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FECIYlo3KRY

I am torn.

On the one hand, Office Space reference.

On the other, Cruz.

And is Cruz Lumberg in this analogy?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    How is comparing Clinton to one of the office drones who hate their job in Office Space supposed to make me like her less?

• Options
    mrondeaumrondeau Montréal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    How is comparing Clinton to one of the office drones who hate their job in Office Space supposed to make me like her less?

I think that whomever actually conceived of that ads think that the office drones are the antagonists.

• Options

I assume if Cruz ever watched Office Space he sympathized with Lumberg.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Wrong song.

Wrong sentiment.

When I get off my phone, I might find the commentary on it, but taking the seminal scene of defying the establishment to instead frame it as a scene helping the establishment? Coming from the guy who thinks an actor's past work somehow reflects on him then I'm not especially surprised he doesn't get it.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    All i got out of that is that the add makers have no clue how to properly get rid of server data.

• Options
    I like how the lyrics talk about how Clinton never has to deal with the media and never has to explain anything despite being about something the media talked about a ton and brought up in debates.

• Options
    Kelor wrote: »

I am torn.

On the other, Cruz.

¿Jeb? is definitely Milton.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

I am torn.

On the other, Cruz.

Nah, ¡Jeb! is Michael Bolton. Acts like a badass but is a nebbish twerp who lets other people convince him bad ideas are good ideas when push comes to shove.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    So who is Shamir Nahn- Nahj- Not-gonna-work-here-anymore?

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

LyONt_ZH_aw

They're also useful at holding your tent down.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    So who is Shamir Nahn- Nahj- Not-gonna-work-here-anymore?

Obama.

• Options
    Milton is Carson.

Quiet, soft spoken guy who could snap at any moment and burn the place down.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    What digby says.
    Trump himself tweeted this out today:

Screenshot%2B2016-02-13%2Bat%2B11.13.39%2BAM.png

This democracy thing "isn't working" so I'm guessing this red white and blue lion will be his new coat of arms when he becomes America's king.

Lions have a longstanding association with monarchy. Very long.

Trump created a coat of arms to use for his golf course in Scotland.
    But Mr Trump's love of all things Scottish landed him in trouble in 2008 when the court of the Lord Lyon invoked a law dating back to 1672 - to warn him about using an unregistered logo.

It is a criminal offence under the ancient Scottish law to use an unauthorised crest.

Of course, money buys anything and they ended up 'recognising' it.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

I am torn.

On the other, Cruz.

Nah, ¡Jeb! is Michael Bolton. Acts like a badass but is a nebbish twerp who lets other people convince him bad ideas are good ideas when push comes to shove.

"Why should I change my name? My brother's the one who sucks."

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Trump is running to be the Republican Party's nominee and appeals primarily to Republicans. I am not sure why he is excluded from the "this" that isn't working.

i2RavHu.jpg
    This is amazingly ugly.

• Options
    Well, it was designed to sell a golf course in Scotland as being something worth a shit. Probably to compare it to St. Andrews or something.

Anyway, it was Wonkette where I read the commentary on the commercial.
    But that’s mere trivia compared to the more serious violence the Cruz ad does to the movie it’s stealing from. Where the original is a wish-fulfillment fantasy of every office drudge who’s ever yearned to murder the devices that make getting through the day a form of torture, the parody turns it into a sinister fantasy from the Drudge Report, with Hillary and shadowy aides destroying evidence of her “crimes,” whatever the hell they’re supposed to be, in a cover-up that will forever keep the public in the dark. The mood of the original is gleeful jouissance, a finger in the eye of The Man. In the parody, Hillary is The Man, the ultimate insider cackling as she gives the finger to the public’s Right to Know, complete with the out-of-context line “What difference does it make?” which proves that she cold-bloodedly murdered four Americans in Benghazi.

As with every bit of pop culture he touches, Cruz seems to have no idea what the fuck the source material is about. He completely missed the point of Green Eggs and Ham; he loves “The Simpsons” although the show routinely mocks Republicans and conservatism; and he thinks he knows exactly how to do a “Saturday Night Live” fake ad (he does not). And of course, he totally spoiled the new Star Wars movie and its revelation that Boba Fett was a contractor for Halliburton.

In this one, Cruz misses the point of Office Space: This is a movie that does not love hard work and the ideology of meritocracy. It celebrates creative sloth, slacking if you can get away with it, and bucking the corporate order wherever possible, and suggests that America’s holy caste of job creators are a bunch of mindless idiots who love slogans and five point action plans more than getting anything useful done. Jobs are something to be endured, not the magical providers of dignity and meaning through the Puritan Work Ethic.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Say what you will about Trump but that's an excellent campaign logo. The perfect icon for the people he wants to target. Genius.

• Options
    Trump's logo should just be red meat.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Well done red meat.

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

LyONt_ZH_aw

Look, Trump doesn't have a large vocabulary. has the greatest vocabulary. It's really the best, really fantastic. Words like 'Greatest', 'Fantastic', and 'Best' get a lot of use in various contexts.

Oh, right. I forgot that he knows the best words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UIE_MRAhEA

This discussion has been closed.